Author Topic: Cthulu Mafia - TOWN (drunk) WIN, MADNESS SOMEWHAT AVERTED  (Read 81809 times)

Helga Pataki

• Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: Cthulu Mafia - Day 1
« Reply #100 on: April 19, 2010, 11:21:24 PM »
But in fact, the next person on my list is...

JACK DANIELS

FLAVOR

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 (with a minor correction I'm not listing as a post), 10, 11

ANALYSIS
Jokevotes, call for clarification, irrelevant, etc., moving on.  His first real post is a general call-to-action-with-heavy-flavor, coming out on the Hellsnake side of the Hellsnake/O'Malley row.  Which... that specific disagreement, I can agree with, but I still don't care for Hellsnake's play, so... whatever.

Ends up spending most of his time dealing with Callahan's fake drunkenness allegations, until just now.  I think it's obvious what I think of those allegations, which is to say not much at all, but defending against a poor attack doesn't credit Daniels.

His most recent post does, though, I think.  Not a lot of NEW content, but a lot of content and GOOD content.  I feel pretty good about his play so far.  As I mentioned in my last post, everything he says in HIS last post gels with my take.

Helga Pataki

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 19, 2010, 11:40:35 PM »
RONALD DALE

FLAVOR
Say, there, Mr. Dale, I hope I didn't give you a case of the nerves by jumping on you for a bit early on.  From one artistic type to another, no harm, I trust?  I ask, on account of you haven't said a great deal since then and maybe you aren't feeling altogether.  Why, I'd say you aren't even giving yourself credit.

ANALYSIS
Two posts, one I disagreed with mildly at the outset, but that didn't go anywhere.  Later stated to be an attempt to move things out of jokevote phase, and, well, it actually seems to have done a fairly good job of that.

The other post is his vote for Kyle/Sopko.  At least until I get to my read of Sopko, I don't object to anything except the vehemence of Kyle's case, so once again I find myself disagreeing.  But it seems less like a "how scum!" kind of disagreement, more just a different thought process.

Mostly, I just don't see much content here.  What's there is decent, and even helped move us out of jokevote phase early.  POST MOAR.

Since this one was light, let's do two-for-one in one post and check out:

ETHAN HALES

ANALYSIS
One more post than Dale, but one less of content.  And they're connected!  First post is a jokevote, whatever.  Second is a vote FOR Dale, complete with, well, basically my original reasoning on the matter.  Which was relevant for all of a minute to me before something slightly less mildly suspicious turned up in a ninja post and I changed gears.  I can see disagreeing with Dale, but voting for him?  That far into the game?  For what amounts to "you killed my joke phase?"

Huh.

Third post basically calls out Callahan for bad play but says it's not scummy, just bad, and pretty much the same regarding Bike.  And leaves the vote on Dale, now as a lurker prod, which is kind of a fair cop since Dale's been lurking.  Except, Hayles has ALSO been lurking, with the same number of posts if you discount the jokevote, and his reasons for his lone SRS MAFIA vote seem much weaker.

Low content and what's there comes across "safer" than Dale's, since Dale took some early risks.  Not liking what I see here.

Tanaka

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 19, 2010, 11:59:13 PM »
"It just came to my attention that I hadn't been readin' the scriptures too dang closely.  ((Specifically, the rule where Snowfire said he'd make things up on request to discourage setting-based metagaming.))  Seems like the Christian thing to do is pray a spell longer on Moses' story afore I make any further strat'gy on that front."

Asuka Langley

• Denizen
    • View Profile
Artillery Kiss Groove
« Reply #103 on: April 19, 2010, 11:59:42 PM »
I'm sorry Peyton, I seem to have dozed off in the middle of all that. These old bones and all that. I like your spunk and usin' yer old acting skills to really getting into the guise of detection, but by golly I'm not reading through a script nearly that long.  (haha, I know)

I'd have to ask the professional Mr. Greaves about it, but I do go and wonder how much of that can possibly be good for us in the here and now, and how much of it is just some sort of blind journalism. All smoke and no fire is no good way to keep warm.

Helga Pataki

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 20, 2010, 12:03:35 AM »
CHAD HUTCHINS

ANALYSIS
Claims his third vote on Hellsnake was intentional to generate controversy.  Considering this is Alex we're talking about, I'll certainly believe it - though this is no tell one way or another, again at least in part since it's Alex.

His actual vote lands on Kyle/Soppy, and then he excuses himself.  No reason to doubt the excuse so I'll avoid a lurker call, for now.  As for the vote, well, I kneejerk disagreeing with it, but we'll see when I get to its recipient.

Speaking of which...

KYLE HANDLEY (Hunter Sopko)

4, 5

ANALYSIS
Definitely no complaints about the AMOUNT of content, and plenty of it is original to him.  Also, plenty of it is very aggressive, which I know is at least in part a playstyle issue.  As such, he's not playing it anything like safe.

And that content?  It's his case on Moses Bike.  Which is...

Re-reading, I just... still don't see it.  Bike is extremely quick to go overboard in his own defense, absolutely.  But the specific instance Kyle/Sopko harped on so strongly is only bad because it's out of proportion to the heat Bike was under, and I CAN see legitimate reasons to nip it in the bud so strongly.

Ultimately, I feel like Bike has given only a null tell on this issue, which makes Kyle/Sopko's attack way too strong.

More, it makes it too FOCUSED.

Kyle/Sopko has no post-joke-phase content on anyone else.  I was close to this with Callahan, hence this series of posts, so it's a semi-hypocritical point, but a point nonetheless.  I'd like to see Sopko direct some of that hard-nosed inquisitiveness toward the rest of the field, not just one target that doesn't seem that bad to me.

And now, off to dinner...

Nathan Greaves

• Just wants a moment of your time
  • Denizen
  • It'll be off the record, I promise.
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: April 20, 2010, 12:33:43 AM »
"Hargreaves, he's not exactly in mortal peril right now. He's still two votes away from a majority vote, but more importantly we're starting to run out of time a little. Nothing good comes from a missed deadline, and I can tell you that from experience. Besides that, I really think Bike's done nothing to earn himself a place as our second lynch candidate, so I'm showing my preference in the most effective way I can.
And honestly, if you want to see Tyrone as ignorant, you'd have to throw in that he's being damn stubborn as well. He's been called out over his cases on Bike and Daniels who knows how many times by now, and he's still holding to them and offering nothing else when it comes to the rest of the suspects beyond some list of meaningless numbers. That's willful ignorance, if you ask me.

I'm gonna have to agree with the old man when it comes to Hadley, though. Maybe finish your big report with a nice little concise piece at the end so we don't need to go through fourteen different life-stories? No offense, you're clearly trying here, but readers always have a preference for the short and sweet."

Helga Pataki

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 20, 2010, 12:49:01 AM »
Honestly, gentlemen, I'm hieing off on this perusal of the facts of the case at least as much for my benefit.  I like to keep my options open, and I can't do that proper if my eyes AIN'T, and frankly, it doesn't feel like they have been until just now.  Callahan's been so in the forefront, I have to make myself look each and every other way, and that's what I'm doing.

I do know it's dancing around stepping on your toes, Greaves, but I'm doing my humble :ahem: best to keep from playing the reporter.  A glance at MY previous posts'll tell you my thoughts on these folks haven't been as forthcoming as they ought to have been, till now.

Have no fears, though.  Once I've wrapped my head around all this, I'll wrap everything I see up and hand it to you giftwrapped.

((Or summarize it, anyway.))

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 20, 2010, 12:56:02 AM »
Saints above, have yer business take ye away fer a single day and already the folks start callin for me blood.  If ye must know, there was business that needed tendin'.  After all, t'ain't no good t'be findin' the killer a'fore he kills again if it leaves me meetin' Mr. Hutchinson fer lack o' food, and my poor family back home gone wit' me.

Now, it seems my worries o'er Mr. Hellsnake have caused others tae worry o'er me.  But looking at what the snake has said, I cannae see it.  The reason 'e gave fer his suspicion was poor, and nary a sign of it when he spoke of that same suspicion.  As fer me bein' wrong?  When a man says they think some poor fellow did bloody murder, I'd like tae imagine they've given a hint as to why, instead of sayin' a lot of fiddle-faddle tha' could mean anything.  

* Bill Hellsnake spits into the nearby trash bin, then begins pointing at Chad Hutchins

I don't like you making them fingers into a triangle of suspicion, boy, but I figure Ty's got the right idea here, even if he's a li'l hot blooded. Reasons, motive, who was where, who has what. Like was mentioned, Sheriff found a real fancy dagger in 'is back, and tracks comin' out to the inn.
...come to think of it, how well off was y'r pa, boy?

Look at that, and I'll be amazed if a single blessed soul could tell me all the meanin' there before the man himself said there was none.  Specially I'm lookin' at the triangle of suspicion, which he notes as bein' a thing he not be liking.  When he was sayin' that, the only thing that Chad 'ere had done was look at the two men wit a mention, and add a third vote to Hellsnake 'imself.  And that last was a thing of no great matter at all.  And alla that's afore ye jump on Mr. Bike because ye were too daft tae hear 'im through.  And even after ye did, ye don't comment on the part o' it that proves ye wrong.  Ye don't take back yer words, or add in reasons that aren't as wrong as a pagan mass.  

As fer Hargreaves, were ye nae taught tae think?  Hellsnake 'imself said he had ne'er said a thing as to why Chad were suspicious until that same time he attacked me.  So, why you're holdin' me tae account fer things he had yet to say, I have no idea.

Well, I do believe that's all that's been asked o' me.  Now tae start looking again.

Helga Pataki

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 20, 2010, 01:18:23 AM »
SAMUEL HARGREAVES

2, 3, 4

ANALYSIS
Overall, one of the people whose flavor makes it, IMO, hard to tell what's Mafia play and what isn't.  Maybe, hopefully, that's just me?

On to specifics.  Of his three content posts, all address different things and one has a vote, which he's stuck with because... well, that's part of what he's explaining in his last post, but "hasn't gotten better" doesn't necessarily cut it to me, as a reason to leave a vote.

Not raising any red flags for me.

NIKOLAI KOLMOGOROV

ANALYSIS
If this wasn't Day 1, a single, solitary post without so much as a word of OOC excuse would suffice to raise my hackles.

But it is Day 1, and there's inevitably not much to go on.  And it is, in fairness, a comprehensive post about the issues of the day to that point.  Most of Kolmogorov's analysis seems sound to me, albeit a lot of it is... obvious, dressed up in academic language?  Not nearly enough for me to be suspicious of at this point, but something I'll want to watch.  The namedrop of being Chad's tutor (and the implication that this exonerates him, for all I don't think Chad has done anything suspicious to this point) stands out as a questionable element.

Needless to say, POST MOAR.  Also, I don't mind the Russian interjections, but would like a translation just out of curiosity. :)

MARTIN ANDREWS

ANALYSIS
Only two posts so far, and one of those a correction - but an excuse given, albeit it seems to have expired.

His one major post has nothing objectionable, but nothing original, either.  Pretty much the same as Kolmogorov in terms of content, so far, and most of the same reactions apply.

::Peyton is dimensional shambler'd by Seamus::

Near as I can tell, Mr. O'Malley, amongst the very little Mr. Hellsnake DID say WASN'T a word as to a man having done bloody murder.  That's such justification as the man offered for not laying his vote - and don't take me as defending him, on account of I think he was a fool not to do so.  Still, you're putting words right into his mouth, near as I can tell.

Excal

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 20, 2010, 01:36:56 AM »
Mayhaps it is puttin' words in his mouth.  But, I cannae help but think that all the thoughts of suspicion and such have tae do with the murder somehow.  I mean, why else would he be so worried about the lad?  A list o' folk 'e wants off 'is lawn?

Helga Pataki

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 20, 2010, 01:39:28 AM »
((Before I do anything else... like, get to work...  :P I want to finish up this series, and the last entry is a big one.  Summary will follow.))

MOSES BIKE

ANALYSIS
Lots of content, lots to examine.

Opening post is apparently pure flavor (either he's telling the truth and it is, or he's lying and, well, he's making it up and so it still is), but serves to kick off SRS MAFIA in a way nothing to this point has.  Honestly, the biggest thing in this whole brouhaha to me?  The specific "2-3 voices" thing, because if Bike IS Scum, that could be an attempt to lull Town into a false sense of security as to Scum's numbers.  But that's trending toward WIFOM.

But, BUT, people jumped down Bike's throat for the explanation post.  Kyle/Sopko most aggressively, but also Callahan in move that smacks of OMGUS.  Bike AND others highlighted why this should have been a null tell.

Despite that, Bike continues to post about others as well as his attackers, despite their being very viable targets.  Now that I understand his case on Hellsnake, I agree with it.  Still, between two cases of bad play (Hellsnake and Callahan), I don't understand his choosing to switch gears at this point since Callahan still looks much worse to me.

Finally, I wouldn't be at all surprised if my long series of posts here turned out to be little good to Town, since they've gone on longer than I originally intended, so no argument there at the end.

Overall, I think Bike has done more to push us forward than anyone to this point and am flabbergasted to see he's the second-leading vote-getter.  Man, what?

Helga Pataki

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 20, 2010, 01:42:58 AM »
"The lad" had just thrown an accusation of murder his way, Seamus.  I imagine Hellsnake didn't feel exactly charitable to him, just then.  Besides, with all the wrong Hellsnake's been doing, why single out a thing he actually DIDN'T?  That's the thing I don't cotton to; no need to imply where there's ample fact to be had.

((Summary to follow.))

Helga Pataki

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 20, 2010, 01:54:31 AM »
SUMMARY

Well, after my overlong, occasionally random and possibly reportery series of posts, where do I stand?

Same place I started, on Tyrone Callahan.  I thought this might change, but nope, on a re-read Callahan looks even worse.  His arguments have been frankly atrocious; he's new and I could forgive that.  But he's stuck to them with a vigor that goes beyond reasonable, and even allowing for different Mafia assumptions, his points about early Day 1 play and Bike's almost-quoting his role PM?  Those are just bad.  My vote stays.

Of the rest of the players, Pietro Giovanni stands out as a potentially dangerous lurker.  Barely posting, providing no original opinions, but staying just active (and voting) enough to not be obviously lurking?  That makes me VERY nervous.

Bill Hellsnake doesn't come across much better, because he stuck to his guns about some bad early play.  Oddly enough, his accuser Seamus O'Malley seems stuck on the few things Hellsnake DIDN'T do wrong, which I'm not sure how to read.

Both Callahan and Hellsnake could be bad Townies rather than Scum, but I'd be surprised if BOTH were.  Pietro, on the other hand, strikes me as well-played Scum, but this early on he COULD be suffering from a case of too little time.

Moses Bike seems the most Townie to me thus far.  He's pushed discussion forward, covered a lot of topics, and the only knock on him is that he's been overly quick to defend himself.  Oddly enough, his accuser Kyle Handley hasn't given me any Scum vibes.  To me theirs sounds like a legitimate disagreement.

Lots of people have just not contributed much.  Not even enough for me to see them as lurkers, on Day 1.

I'd be content with a Callahan, Hellsnake or Giovanni lynch, barring some new revelation, probably in that order.

Tron Bonne

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 20, 2010, 01:58:06 AM »
Once you're out of the jokevote phase, if you suspect someone, put a vote down.  Hell, vote/unvote half the pair and then vote the other half, if you want to show you seriously want people looking at them.
((What a wonderful way to make sure none of your votes are ever taken seriously, voting for everyone you might suspect. I'm defintely seeing a playstyle disconnect between you and I, and it's not one I much like.))
Two, the vote Hellsnake DOES put down is on O'Malley, the same person he jokevoted, and it's OMGUS.
((Retaliatory votes are not inherently suspicious and I don't know where you're getting that idea. If the person being accused is town, him/her making a retaliatory vote isn't necessarily unjustified depending on the circumstances of the original accusation. There's a slight probability leaning towards him/her being scum but it's fairly negligible. That's the case here.))
((But by that logic, best play for Town on D1 start is not to random-vote because you're more likely to vote a Townie, and that obviously means that discussion never starts.))
((I never said not having a vote is always best; I just said it isn't an inherently suspicious play as Hadley claimed.))
((OOC Translation:  Seriously.  Go look at any other mafia game.  DL Mafia games almost always start out with a bunch of nonsense joke votes that get tossed out once people have something more to go on; frankly, never having played on another board before, I'm not sure what else you think we're SUPPOSED to do.  That instead of doing some very minor legwork and checking into this, you're beating a dead horse really doesn't help your case.))
((Yeah, far as I can tell from looking back, the initial phase of random accusations does seem to last a while here. Way I used to play, one or at most two usually proved more than enough to get discussions going. Beyond that the rest start to look like mafia trying to slip in "discussion-starters" that're actually bandwagon-starters on innocents. That was my worry about you.))

"You's kickin' up dust, tryin' to earn the trust of the good folk o' Marbury by fakin' at bein' a good soldier, tryin' a find the killer....If it'd'd worked you'd get folks accusin' me of the crime since I was so high up on yer list.  Whoever dun the crime's got to play the field, make the troops be where 'e wants 'em.  's as close as I done seen to that so far.
"Damnit, Daniels, put that damn bottle down a sec and think 'fore ya speak. Iunno how in hell ya could possibly think I'm tryin'a get anyone on my side. If'n I were I'd've stuck with th'Hellsnake bandwagon what was formin' earlier. I'm voting t'kill scum, not t'get anyone's trust. Ain't nothin' I've done's in any way t'get people likin' me, cuz it's way more important we don't get killed tomorrow than we get t'likin' each other today. Fact is, all these people been accusing me yet this's the first time I've even been bothered t'defend myself rather'n spend my time gettin' to the bottom o'this. Why? Cuz this time I'm just insulted enough t'contest that stupid statement o'yours, but in gen'ral I know 'tain't me and just wanna figure out who it is. Tryin' t'get people's trust, my ass, me. Didn' happen even once, as ya'd see if'n you'd refresh yer drunken memory wi'the records."

((Okay, maybe I can see an argument for my trying to get Peyton's trust, based on the flavor statement that I made after refuting his original accusation. Got nothing but my word to say that I don't actually care about his trust. Other than him, who you haven't mentioned anyway, there is no possible way you can make an argument that I've tried to get anyone to trust me; I've done anything but that. I don't give a shit about defense on day one, because any suspicions of me are completely unfounded anyway so there's nothing against which I need to argue. Except this very claim that you just made, that is, which is as utterly ridiculous as the rest, as I've just illustrated.))

A feral growl slipped past Tyrone's throat as he glowered at the other suspects. "I defended a couple people I trusted here and there, and I've still never bothered to get anyone off my own case. Weren't my priority like tryin' to figure out the real killer. I'd jus' hoped this town were smart enough not to get to lynchin' the one who's maybe the best chance ya got at..." Sighing, Ty trailed off

and slammed a frustrated fist into the table once more. "Fuck it, then." Throwing up his hands in exasperation, Ty shook his head disappointedly. "All o'ya c'n go ahead an' do what ya think is right; guess I can't fault ya jus' fer bein' idiots. Never really did my piece for or against this town, so I figured I'd try to help for real fer once, and then whadda I get fer it? Ya fall into Bike's trap."

((I dunno how, but you did. A 1v1 showdown between people on opposite sides is beneficial for the town. There's a 50% chance to kill one innocent out of many and there's a 50% chance to kill one scum out of much fewer. Look who was pushing for the battle between myself and Bike. Look who backed out of it to keep pointing at his other, much less prominent accuser. Congrats, Bike, your plan apparently worked: avoid confrontations entirely and you're somehow guaranteed to win them with this crowd, that seems to be suspecting me for...what, exactly? Not ignoring his GMPM cop-out and further reactions since then, as you've all been doing except Kyle? (Hellsnake's after Bike for quite different, though also valid, reasons.) Oh hey, ninja'd by Peyton who wonders at why Bike chose Hellsnake as his target instead of me. D'ya get it now?))

"I ain't afraid to die, just upset to die for nothin'. An' this is even worse'n dyin' for nothin': dyin' cuz I try t'look out for the town for once and all o'ya can't see it. An' ya wonder why I kept away from ya most o'the time. Pitiful. Well c'mon, make yer votes; I ain't gonna sit around here all day when we're just waitin' on two more blind people t'spell their own doom. Whaddaya holdin' out for, more information? Ain't gettin' any from me. I don't fucking have any. Make with the rope. With any luck ye'll have an innocent man hauntin' ya fer the rest o'yer days and there'll be yer information, 'less ya turn out t'be as irrationally sure I'm lyin' when I'm dead as yer sure I am now.".

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 20, 2010, 02:14:57 AM »
Votecount.

William Hellsnake [2]: Ethan Hayles, Ty Callahan (Eternal Lurker), Chad Hutchins, Seamus O'Malley (Excal), Moses Bike
Nikolai Kolmogorov [ 0]: Sam Hargreaves
Kyle Handley (Hunter Sopko) [2]: Jack Daniels, Chad Hutchins, Ronald Dale (Bardiche)
Seamus O'Malley (Excal) [1]: Bill Hellsnake, Pietro, Bill Hellsnake, Sam Hargreaves
Pietro [ 0]: Ronald Dale (Bardiche)
Ronald Dale (Bardiche) [1]: Peyton Hadley, Ethan Hayles
Ty Callahan (Eternal Lurker) [6]: Peyton Hadley, Moses Bike, Jack Daniels, Martin Andrews, Pietro, Nikolai Kolmogorov, Nathan Greaves
Peyton Hadley [ 0]: Nathan Greaves
Moses Bike [3]: Ty Callahan (Eternal Lurker), Seamus O'Malley (Excal), Kyle Handley (Hunter Sopko), Bill Hellsnake
Chad Hutchins [ 0]: Nathan Greaves

Mr. Callahan is 2 votes away from a Marbury-style "conviction" (L-2).

There's 16 hours left in the day.  With 15 investigators, it takes 8 to lynch.

Excal

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 20, 2010, 02:26:21 AM »
Mr. Callahan, 'tis possible it is as you say.  But I find it mighty curious that you're so dead set against leaving a record early on, where there's little harm, and little else tae go on save for the weight o' these votes.  Howe'er, I find it even more curious that ye find a personal difference in how one does things to speak so loudly.

Same with votes which are little more than a man speaking loudly, and calling out those who call him out.  I cannae see how those can be any better than neutral, and seem a damn sight worse than that in most cases.  This one bein' among 'em.

Bill Hellsnake

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 20, 2010, 02:44:20 AM »
...meh, I'm gonna forgo the roleplay for clarity's sake.

Defense: (I can handle it, Ty, don't worry)
- While I do agree that, under the circumstances, I should have voted/unvoted (Though there was no way to do so in character, mind), saying that in general I should do that makes no sense, as often I suspect many people.

- I mentioned who I suspected, multiple times (even gave a list), and so I had cast my line. (God forbid you might need to do a little reading)

- I do honestly take offense at my vote on Seamus being taken as OMGUS, and that people thought I was cheerleading. There was nothing to 'cheerlead', which was exactly why I was provoking discussion about it. From the two main people involved. And as soon as they'd both spoken, I voted, and dropped it.

- I voted Seamus for the reasons I gave. OMGUS didn't play into it at all. Why is it so hard to believe that I found him more suspicious than everyone else?

- Seamus, shut up for a second, and listen to yourself. Your case on me is built more on what I haven't done, and you're cramming suspicion down my throat because I haven't been around to respond to Moses. You know damn well I haven't been around to do that, anyway, which just makes it even more baffling.

- As for what you quoted... Well, I already covered the "triangle of suspicion" part (third vote, I'd personally say the jokevote phase was pretty clearly over, etc), and the second bit on Chad was pure flavor, meant mostly as a slow means to bring it into REAL srs bsns mafia, instead of "SECOND JOKE VOTE ON SOMEBODY, OMG" mafia. Then Moses and Ty got into a spat over the story, and I jumped on that (for information), and oh look, it ended up mattering.

- Final response to Seamus: People are suspicious of you because you were using things you didn't know to accuse me. 'sides, I never actually accused anybody of 'bloody murder.'

- Moses, I would like to point you to something about your posts. You tend to type as things come up/come to mind. (As do most people) So you'll excuse me if I note that the tiny bit about me and Seamus, not even mentioning there was a vote but instead implying I'd just done OMGUS, was written after your vote. Y'know, like an afterthought. Player meta, I know, but whatever. I'm clearly not the only person doing this, and given how very little player meta I even think I know...

Yeah, I'm gonna end here for the day. I need sleep. But hopefully that will appease people. (my cases still stand, mind, though I'll admit my case on Moses is arguably the weakest. However, he's also the only one of my strong suspects *coughSeamusMosescough* that is anywhere near anything, so I'll keep my vote where it is)

Ninja'd by votecount and Seamus. READ.

Excal

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 20, 2010, 03:47:33 AM »
Honestly, my case on you is on things which is looked like you did, but which you claim you didn't do.  And, the biggest thing I have against you right now, to be blunt, is your big reveal of "Hey look!  This guy who I've said I distrust, but the only reasoning I gave was really vague and was not actually a reason at all!  But you assumed I'd give reasons for my suspicions and tried to find that, so now I'm going to claim this is what I meant!"

Obviously, the fact that only one other person has seen the same thing I have is a bit worrying.  But, honestly?  The fact that you seem to get so uppity over the fact that I don't take everything you say as gospel truth?  Doesn't mean a thing to me.  After all, one team is here to lie, mudsling, and mislead.  And however upstanding a gent you might want to be, or think you are, doesn't change the fact you might be one of them.

Onto other events.  I've reread the entire thing.

I think that good ol' Moses.  Well...  his story was a null tell to start, and it still is.  Especially since it's coming across as Mr. Bike messing up his original lines on something that's completely neutral (As stated in game rules) and then Snowfire agreeing with it (as also stated in game rules) even while he clarified.  Given all of this info is stuff allotted to folks before Town/Scum was decided, it is null.

As for Callahan.  He is oddly stubborn about his attack.  But I'm not sure if I see that as a scum trait or not.  I do find his own single-mindedness to be worrying though.  Especially the way he portrays the way the day's gone as a 1v1 between him and Moses, when it's actually him railing at Moses (even when he tries to get away, it's all centred around him) whereas Moses has been keeping his attention on a lot of different things.  So that chracterization as a 1v1 really does feel wrong.  Especially since there's been times when someone else might have come close to starting a train of their own.

I guess the main reason why I don't feel strongly towards Callahan is because outside of that one post, he hasn't been trying to start anything on someone besides Moses.

Pietro, on the other hand, I do dislike.  Generally agree with Payton's reasoning, though the big thing I noticed about him that Payton didn't bring up is that his reasoning for both of his votes is the same.  Namely, "I don't think your argument is good enough."  And he doesn't really say anything else.  And the thing about that is that, especially on Day 1, a lot of the arguments are going to be wrong.  What catches scum are the details, and he doesn't mention any.

##Unvote;  ##Vote: Pietro Giovanni

I should be around for a while before deadline hits, since that's starting to matter.

Chad Hutchins

• Denizen
  • GO OSPREYS! Road 2 nationals: state playoff 5/1!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 20, 2010, 03:52:57 AM »
Well guys I am back.

(If a family member is scheduled for minor surgery MAKE THEM TAKE THEIR MEDICATIONS ON TIME don't let them go "Oh I'll just skip this one and take two later" this ends poorly)

Gotta say I am kind of skimming some of the posts here cause they make my head hurt to read in full.  I know we got a Marbury accent in here and that's good, but please try to stay so people can understand ya even with that.  (and 'fore anyone yells at me for that, it's day 1, I'm not missing vital clues hidden in blobs of RP, come on.)

Ty Callahan is up on the block but I honestly don't get that bad a feelin from him.  He's shootin off and has no idea what he is doin and it's temptin to lynch him for his attitude and what he's gonna do to discussion if he don't wise up... but I can't get a murderer read from it.  I've been wrong on this kinda thing before but I don't think he's a bad guy.  He's just tryin too hard.  

Furthermore, and this applies to more cases than Ty as well, pretty much any argument involving "jokevote phase" or "timing" at this stage of the game is bunk.  Actually that looks like it covers a lot of the attacks on Hellsnake and possibly Seamus.  Quibblin on definitions and "you said you did X but I think you were doing Y which is like X but slightly semantically different" is hardly better.  I hate algebra.

I don't see anything wrong with what Moses did either.  Cause, well, I heard the screams too, two weeks ago and earlier today like he said.  It's just flavor, I mean sure it's "important" in terms of who killed Pop but not really important in terms of finding out who killed him, if you get my drift.  Mr. Handley flippin out on him like a linebacker for it is just kinda crazy and I still think it's the most possibly suspicious thing anyone's said.  

(No, I don't have any other backing than gut and a bit of player meta - but there's nothing else doing and I dislike all the other high profile cases.  So I'm staying on him I guess.)

Tron Bonne

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 20, 2010, 04:35:33 AM »
I guess the main reason why I don't feel strongly towards Callahan is because outside of that one post, he hasn't been trying to start anything on someone besides Moses.

Pietro, on the other hand, I do dislike.  Generally agree with Payton's reasoning, though the big thing I noticed about him that Payton didn't bring up is that his reasoning for both of his votes is the same.  Namely, "I don't think your argument is good enough."  And he doesn't really say anything else.
"Hate to burst yer bubble when yer sayin' ya don't suspect me, Seamus, but...
"Giovanni, you especially ain't makin' any sense. So Seamus makes a good point 'bout what Bike says, and you accuse him o'murder just cuz ya think it wasn't a good enough point?"
I did poin'out somun' other'n Bike. Same thing yer sayin' now was pretty much th'first thing I said 'bout him."

Chad Hutchins

• Denizen
  • GO OSPREYS! Road 2 nationals: state playoff 5/1!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: April 20, 2010, 06:25:30 AM »
Actually now that I am lookin back I done had my clock set wrong (silly alt accounts) and deadline is comin up faster than I thought.  Always sucks to get hit with a delay of game and lose five yards so... Mr. Callahan, if you've got any sorta secrets to bare, you might wanna consider doing so.

(Deadline is NA noonish tomorrow and NA folks are often kinda dead in the mornings so if you're going to roleclaim do it now)

Tanaka

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 20, 2010, 07:14:14 AM »
((Yeah, far as I can tell from looking back, the initial phase of random accusations does seem to last a while here. Way I used to play, one or at most two usually proved more than enough to get discussions going. Beyond that the rest start to look like mafia trying to slip in "discussion-starters" that're actually bandwagon-starters on innocents. That was my worry about you.))

So you done took the third outburst as suspicious fer that reckonin'.  And o'course cuz I didn't move my vote just the way you liked it.

((Okay, maybe I can see an argument for my trying to get Peyton's trust, based on the flavor statement that I made after refuting his original accusation. Got nothing but my word to say that I don't actually care about his trust. Other than him, who you haven't mentioned anyway, there is no possible way you can make an argument that I've tried to get anyone to trust me; I've done anything but that. I don't give a shit about defense on day one, because any suspicions of me are completely unfounded anyway so there's nothing against which I need to argue. Except this very claim that you just made, that is, which is as utterly ridiculous as the rest, as I've just illustrated.))

I reckon a murder thinks in the long term.  Now I ain't said you were doin' anything to win anyone over in the specifics, jus' that you's tryin to make yerself look good, build up credibility of that list a yers.  Same thing ol' Peyton may well be doin'--I like that y'like me, son, but I don't like people makin' themselves look useful, makin' lists when there t'ain't enough of a reason fer it in the beginnin'. Don't get much of a sense of you from it, and your scoutin' of the battlefield matches my sense o' it.

Nah, back to you, Tyrone.  At the risk o' gettin' a bit spiritual (meta) on ya, I may well be willin' to forgive yer misunderstandin', lest about my sorry ol' ass. I ferget yeh live out on the outskirts and may not know some of Maybury's traditions. 'n maybe I was a bit quick to jump on the first thing that raised my heckles.  I still don't like the sense I get from ya too much, and here's why.

One, the theatrics.  You done a good job of lookin' all fed up 'n shit,  but a bottle that's empty o' whiskey does nothin' but get my hopes up and dash 'em when I find out.  Gettin' all worked up about being in the crosshair's can come from frustration or from falsehood, an' as far's I'm concerned it don't help you none either way.  

Second, I just don't get the way you think, specially's bout Moses.  Don't think I's much for Handley's take on it either.  The ol' man goes into too much detail, which gets'im in yer sights, and then ye just don't let go.  And now we're all fallin' for Moses' trap?  Based off a what?  If'n you'll recall, Moses done addressed your concerns while checkin' around the fiel--Oh christ Alex just called for a roleclaim from you so I'm gonna drop character and speed this up, k? K.

OOC:  My take on the Moses v Tyrone rail:  Moses was a bit too free with information for your liking, so you (and Seamus) put the heat on him.  Moses addressed your accusations, while examining other people.  Etc, etc, etc, it comes out that somehow you thought Moses was quoting his PM to put a serious vote on you, and that's what sparked all this?  

Quote from: Tyrone
It's fairly obvious that your usage of what you claim was a true PM was intended to get me lynched (since you know I'm not scum), while mine was merely to survive, so whether we're both lying or both telling the truth, our motives still show our sides clearly.))

Jokevote phase.  We talked about this.  Hell, near as I can tell the first serious vote of the game came out of you.  In any case, from a quick skimming (trying to go fast) this is the only reasoning you have for thinking we're falling for Mose's trap at this point.  

At the risk of entangling myself with someone I haven't read up on too deeply yet (lolxanth also going for speed now) If you're willing to concede that your suspicion of ME was based off of being ignorant of how long the "joke vote" phase tends to last in DL games, then it strikes me as pretty clear that your suspicion of Moses falls into the same trap.

So, I don't really get what you're saying about all of us falling for Moses' trap or the like.  Furthermore, when you get an idea like that in your head, you just won't let go of it--assuming you ARE town, it took quite a bit of convincing to even get you to do 5 minutes of browsing other mafia games to get this notion out of your head.  This stubbornness may not be scummy but it's pretty bad town play.

Anyway, if you're going to make a claim, then go ahead.  I think I've said all I can right now as it regards you.

Tanaka

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 20, 2010, 07:15:31 AM »
((And, by speed this up, I meant writing the post, so it got in before your next one.  Not "Speed up getting you to roleclaim."  In case that weren't clear.))

Margaret Houlihan

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 20, 2010, 08:04:58 AM »
(('kay, guys, I'm around. Just got 12 hours of sleep and am feeling like crap right now, so don't expect this to be amazingly coherent.
Also taking a leaf out of ChadAlex's book and dropping the majority of apostrophes. >.> Clutters up the posts a little too much.))

Now what in tarnation did I miss? Our journalist's been carryin on as normal while our actor's decided to play journalist? I ain't likin this one bit - you're born on the farm, raised on the farm, work on the farm and die on the farm. 'At's how it's always been round our way. Goin from bein an actor to a journalist jus means you miss out the important stuff - if we ain't got opinions on these reports, we ain't got nothin at all.

Once you're out of the jokevote phase, if you suspect someone, put a vote down.  Hell, vote/unvote half the pair and then vote the other half, if you want to show you seriously want people looking at them.
((What a wonderful way to make sure none of your votes are ever taken seriously, voting for everyone you might suspect.
An', for once, I find myself agreein with the ol' stablemaster. Changin your target at every opportunity is a surefire way to look like you're helpin out around the farm while not doing anythin t'help.
Hadley, in your li'l report of everyone, you said I looked bad for keeping my vote where it was? I already said I ain't likin it when people show up and then go quiet, an' that's 'xactly what Dale did. Wouldn't be so bad if he didn't go quiet at exactly the point I voted for 'im. Lookin back at that now, darn it. Shoulda checked them time-note things, didn't realise there'd been a few hours in there.
((Can't think of a way to say this in character. Secondly, you put my vote down to me not liking him stopping the joke-vote? No, that was in-character. The part before that, about him taking the jokevote way too seriously was the actual reasoning for voting.))

Back to familiar territ'ry, though, Callahan's botherin me with his outcry of "Fine, kill me, see if I care!" I ain't never seen an innocent man say this, an' it's jus plain stupid to try now. Does nothin but make you look worse.

And on the note of tellin us what 'e's up to, I'm kinda thrown a li'l by this'n:
Whaddaya holdin' out for, more information? Ain't gettin' any from me. I don't fucking have any.
Eh? You implyin none of them roleclaims 'ere? If 'at's the case, I really ain't likin what I see.

As it goes, my suspicions lie on Ty and Peyton. Peyton's summary serves to add a whole lotta posts without actually tellin us much in the way o' what he thinks, although he sorta makes up for a little with an analysis post after the lot. (Them ones in the actual reporter posts don't really tell much of anythin.) Ty, on th'other hand... man, there's only so much o' that I can put down to bein new to this whole thing, and his flail-and-die alongside claimin today's been all him vs. Bike, I ain't likin.

##Unvote, Vote: Ty Callahan [L-1]

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 20, 2010, 08:08:43 AM »
After a bit, Kyle straightens out his suspenders and tips his hat. "Well, I suppose any salesman worth his salt knows when to give up on a sale."

##Unvote: Moses Bike

"Hopefully if more evidence comes to light I will be able to unload the merchandise, but there's no profit to be made hawking a product no one wants. I suppose it's time for me to take some notes in the ol' notebook." With that, he heads back to the truck he keeps most of his merchandise, taking out his ledger book to make some notes about the whole situation.

##Vote: Bill Hellsnake
##Unvote: Bill Hellsnake
##Vote: Samuel Hargraves
##Unvote: Samuel Hargraves

"Now I wouldn't be taking these to the bank and cashing them, no sir. This is more a bit of notetaking by me for later, as while neither has done anything outright scummy, there are a few odd things in their behavior I want to note further on down the line, should it become the hot new fad.

For Bill Hellsnake, I look at his recent defense of himself and how . I might even agree that the case against him might be some hot air, but if his defense were an antique, it would be French (as in, pardon it). Language like that is bad for business, no matter how frustrated you get.

In Sammy's case, he's been sitting on a vote which... hasn't led much of anywhere all day. It was an early case, to be sure, but one quickly dropped, and even in Sammy's most recent post he was selling quite the assortment of other things, but he sticks with his old case because... well, no real reason is given. The good actor Peyton says it's a null tell, but I'm one to leave it on the ledgers, as it may be one tab worth calling in later."

His hand cramping from all that writing, Kyle finally leans back in the little stool he provided for himself in the back of the truck and looked out the window. It was getting late, and a cursory glance at his pocketwatch confirmed this. He couldn't very well be late at a critical time, regardless of the work to be done! Straightening his bow-tie, he set off back to the town square to watch to proceedings, finally speaking up when he gets a chance.

"I suppose it's time for me to weigh in on the big monopoly of the day, Tyrone Callahan. He did draw my attention when he tried to piggyback onto my first sale of the day, when he clearly didn't in any solid sense upon looking at the official court records. I would still say that what happened between Moses and I was a matter of trust, in which I did not trust the man. Tyrone is attributing Moses' behavior during the day in a much more sinister light than that even, and it doesn't quite pass inspection, maybe even voids the warranty. It's stubborn and argumentative through and through. While Chad might just be right in that it may not help town either way, there isn't much in the way that does that has support at this point. I've never been one to follow trends arbitrarily, but if business is to remain productive and profitable one must see how the winds are blowing though." (OOC: The glib nature of the last sentence is more flavor than anything)

NINJA'D! Changing how this ends since someone else put him at L-1.

"So if you need an outsider's perspective, I suppose I would be fine weighing in on it if the town needs to decide."