Author Topic: Cthulu Mafia - TOWN (drunk) WIN, MADNESS SOMEWHAT AVERTED  (Read 81607 times)

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: Cthulu Mafia - Day 4
« Reply #500 on: May 06, 2010, 01:27:56 AM »
Nikolai has been re-prodded, though thanks for posting to note your presence as due to the start-of-the-Day warning you would have been modkilled otherwise.

Votecount.

Nathan Greaves [1]: Ronald Dale (Bardiche)
Seamus (Excal) [3]: Nathan Greaves, Sam Hargreaves, Kyle Handley (Sopko)
Kyle Handley (Sopko) [2]: Seamus (Excal), Jack Daniels

With 10 investigators, it takes 6 to lynch.  Day 4 will end in ~18 hours.

Bardiche

« Reply #501 on: May 06, 2010, 02:08:26 AM »
Ronald Dale;

The broken English is a little annoying, though. >_>

I want to flavour at least a little. :(

RE: Hargreaves, Greaves and Nikolai;
I'm content leaving them be. Hargreaves brings up a good enough argument to out Greaves' protective role, even though I don't particularly agree that was a very bright choice. Still, playstyle differences don't equate to scumminess.

RE: Seamus O'Excal;
To give some thought to Scum!Seamus as Sopley is suggesting:
I'm not fond of  this post where he's spending the better part of his post criticising me and highlighting things I may be doing wrong, as well as linking me to Hayles.

Then here he mentions Hayles as his #3 target for Day 2. I... somehow failed to infer that from his previous posts, and his eventual vote leaves little reasoning other than his earlier-linked post where he says there's little point in Hayles' arguments.

Seamus' biggest offence is that I'm not too fond of his continuous insistance that there's something between Hayles and me - definitely agree that it's downright odd how he so early in the game begins tying me to Hayles and pretending there is something big there. And while he made the first vote on Hayles on Day 3, his case was so unpronounced and unpersuasive that I'm not too sure how much credit he should be given for it.

Hrgh. I'm not entirely happy about Seamus. But I have stronger feelings with Sopko, so.
##UNVOTE
##VOTE: Kyle Handley

Tanaka

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: May 06, 2010, 05:11:03 AM »
Just a note:  It was ~18 hours at 6PM.  It is 10 PM now.  That means only ~14 hours left in the day.

Considering the majority of us will sleep at some point, and the DL is more dead in the mornings than in the evenings, that means the deadline is much, much closer than advertised.  So if the people who haven't voted (Nikolai, Andrews, Bike, and Peyton) or weighed in (Nikolai, Nikolai, Nikolai, and... Nikolai) would be so kind as to be around this evenin', it'd make an ol' boozehound mighty pleased. 

I... should be around before deadline tomorrow morning, at least, unless I wake up late for work. 

Chiaki

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: May 06, 2010, 05:38:04 AM »
I just finished working for the day and my brain's in no condition to make a final choice. I will definitely be around tomorrow morning, though. Right now I'm leaning toward Seamus - while my gut says Kyle is scummier, my gut has a very bad track record at Mafia games, and Seamus has dropped more textbook scumtells (not keeping his suspicions straight, wishy-washiness, poor or convoluted logic to justify jumping off the lynch train of a doomed townie or jumping on the lynch train of a potent town power role).

Li Syaoran

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: May 06, 2010, 06:04:52 AM »
Preliminary result that I have as of now is that Handley/Soppy is Scum - Bike is obviously Town, Greaves is Town unless someone else counterclaims the BikeRez, and I'm 99% certain that Hargreaves is Town, plus I'm about 90% certain that Peyton Hadley is Town. I am just cleaning up my post at this point, having to sift through twenty pages of this madness is really something else.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: May 06, 2010, 11:17:17 AM »
Fantastic. Seamus disappears after one post today amidst some rather solid accusations against him from multiple people. Please don't tell me you're going to take this lying down, are you town? CLASSIC SCUM LURKER STRATEGY. SERIOUSLY. HEIL RATHITLER. Nikolai still has yet to post anything substantive! Also fantastic! But on re-read I'm starting to lean more in the direction on believing Sam for now, so while Nikolai's behavior is UTTERLY FUCKING REPREHENSIBLE, against all my instincts, he'll have to get a pass for now. FOR NOW. The flip should help shed SOME light on this situation at least. Hope that post you're working on is worth it, Nikolai.

I'm setting my alarm for the morning. Seeing as how it's tied up for now, if I somehow miss it and I end up being the one on the chopping block, please don't hammer me until at least a half hour before deadline to give me a chance to speak up. It shouldn't come to this though.

Bardiche

« Reply #506 on: May 06, 2010, 01:14:09 PM »
Ronald Dale;

Around. Excal's profile shows he hasn't even shown up yesterday at all... hate to resort to those sort of things.

There are four votes unaccounted for what is this. ~6 hours left in the day?

Asuka Langley

• Denizen
    • View Profile
Robot Coastguard Trail
« Reply #507 on: May 06, 2010, 01:37:08 PM »
No time to talk properly. Will probably phrase things badly.

Was leaning towards Seamus anyway, just annoying that I haven't made my positions clear. The votes inside the box tending towards Kyle also point me towards Seamus in response. Kyle has been horrible, but has done a few things that wurgle my trains of thought that would place him as scum. Bussing is inevitable in this position, but I sense the desire for scum to try and push this to LYLO tomorrow.

Weak response to gambit needs further pondering, but early take on it is that scum inside the box would want to play it very low profile so that the fast killer doesn't get to claim safely. Not sure about the ribbon yet, but more comfortable about gunning inside the box right now.

##Vote: Seamus

That's it from me for today. Day 5 will be better due to weekend, on the [relatively safe] assumption that I'll be alive for it. Expect Seamus to turn up in the dying hours and claim fast kill to cause panic. Would be annoying if he actually is, but too late for me now.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: May 06, 2010, 02:20:16 PM »
Votecount.

Nathan Greaves [ 0]: Ronald Dale (Bardiche)
Seamus (Excal) [4]: Nathan Greaves, Sam Hargreaves, Kyle Handley (Sopko), Gershom Bike
Kyle Handley (Sopko) [3]: Seamus (Excal), Jack Daniels, Ronald Dale (Bardiche)

No vote placed: Nikolai Kolmogorov, Martin Andrews, Peyton Hadley

With 10 investigators, it takes 6 to lynch.  Day 4 will end in ~5 hours at ~2:00 EDT.

Tanaka

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: May 06, 2010, 04:20:03 PM »
Ugh morning.  Gotta get to work soon.

Where the bloody hell is Nikolai.  Fer that matter, where the bloody hell is Seamus.  The more Seamus lurks the more suspicious he looks.

We still got 3 hours til deadline, but I gotta go in 40 minutes and we gotta lynch someone.

IF THINGS HAVE NOT DEVELOPED IN THE HOUR, I WILL SWITCH MY VOTE TO SEAMUS BEFORE I LEAVE FOR WORK JUST SO WE DON'T END THE DAY IN A NO-LYNCH.

Princess Leia

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #510 on: May 06, 2010, 04:27:10 PM »
Working;
We lynch the majority candidate at day's end, no? So no need to panic.
(Not that I don't think O'Malley deserves to die, but I don't want you using "avoiding no-lynch" as an excuse)

Tanaka

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: May 06, 2010, 04:31:49 PM »
* Jack Daniels goes back and reads the rules.

Oh, okay.  Hey cool so I'm gonna leave my vote on Sopko in that case since I think he's scummier.  Thanks for pointing that out.

Asuka Langley

• Denizen
    • View Profile
Jellyfish Daisy Balls
« Reply #512 on: May 06, 2010, 05:05:38 PM »
Even less time. Definitely the last from me this day.

Having pangs over a potential {Ronald, Kyle, Martin} or {Samuel, Kyle, Nikolai} pairings that make me reconsider my vote, but more a warning that my vote will be on Kyle pretty much for sure tomorrow if we don't hit scum now. Nikolai acting so bloody scummily is the primary thing against me tying that ribbon.

Chiaki

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: May 06, 2010, 05:10:17 PM »
I hate to agree with Kyle AGAIN, but Nikolai really needs to get his act together. He has one post saying "don't modkill me please" and promising a "literal wall" of analysis. What we get is three lines where he says Kyle is scum but gives no reasons, and he's been "cleaning up" his post for ten hours now. Deadline is in two and a half. Dammit, even I wasn't this bad, and I was fuckin' bad. We have the word of a quasi-confirmed, alignment-still-unconfirmed rolecop that Nikolai actually does return Miller to investigation, and the world of mod that returning miller to rolecops is not enough to guarantee town affiliation. You're gonna have to do better.

Anyway. Looking back at my thoughts yesterday, they still hold up now that I'm not sleep-deprived and crazy. Kyle's first two days of play are still crazy bad, but Seamus O'Excal's entire game is classically scummy.

##Vote Seamus (Excal)

L-1.

Princess Leia

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: May 06, 2010, 05:46:23 PM »
Right, I must now depart; will probably be back not long after the start of next game-day. Not terribly fond of Soppy's emotionally charged ranting, but that against O'Malley's nothing is not even a contest.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: May 06, 2010, 05:55:45 PM »
and the world of mod that returning miller to rolecops is not enough to guarantee town affiliation. You're gonna have to do better.

Can I get mod confirmation on this? It doesn't change my vote now, but will certainly change my approach to tonight and going forward... would make me feel silly about last night's post as well, but cest la vie...

But yeah. Around. Hoping Seamus and Nikolai come around to say something.

Chiaki

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: May 06, 2010, 06:00:01 PM »
Shale, no need to vote me.  Scum Miller is an OMGWTFBBQ role so if you're asking, yes, that's an illegal role.  There might theoretically be scum with the power to return false results to rolecops (if any even exist), and that may include (fake) Miller; but they wouldn't actually be a Miller, and wouldn't be informed of anything special if targeted by Chad's power.

I'm not banking on it but it's an explicitly noted possibility.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: May 06, 2010, 06:21:38 PM »
Ah. I remember that now. Only the first half registered, I guess.

Bardiche

« Reply #518 on: May 06, 2010, 06:23:34 PM »
Ronald Dale;

Around. Don't think I'll switch. Sopko's really still worse for me with his contributions.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: May 06, 2010, 06:44:10 PM »
Votecount.

Seamus (Excal) [5]: Nathan Greaves, Sam Hargreaves, Kyle Handley (Sopko), Gershom Bike, Martin Andrews

No vote placed: Nikolai Kolmogorov, Peyton Hadley

With 10 investigators, it takes 6 to lynch.  Day 4 will end in 20 minutes at ~2:00 EDT.

EDIT: And that is deadline.  Flip to follow.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 07:06:51 PM by SnowFire »

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Cthulu Mafia - Night 4
« Reply #520 on: May 06, 2010, 07:36:06 PM »
"I'm really not sure what's going on around here anymore," Deputy Webster intoned, "but it's clear that someone's up to sum'thing.  What did my poor dog Beano ever do to you?!  I...  I...  well, let's see where we stand."

Seamus (Excal) [5]: Nathan Greaves, Sam Hargreaves, Kyle Handley (Sopko), Gershom Bike, Martin Andrews

No vote placed: Nikolai Kolmogorov, Peyton Hadley

---

The discussion was chaotic, the accusations wild, yet strangely quiet at times as well.  The Russian mathematician Kolmogorov seemed lost in thought, forever adjusting his notes as he tried to "solve the equation" for what happened to the House of Hutchins.  Peyton seemed distant and simultaneously exuberant yet depressed...  perhaps a martyr personality that he'd taken on the burdens of saving Marbury?  The journalist Greaves seemed prone to sudden personality swings between cheerful reporter, and alleged... er...  is he claiming to be an ancient sorcerer?  Surely some kind of ploy to fake out the credulous and sell papers.  And has the vet Hargreaves admitted to once treating humans?  All the trips to other towns for medical treatment he could have saved...  not that townspeople complain about the fine animal services he's offered instead.

Eventually, the discussion turned to two suspects.  "You!  Salesman!  I saw you peddling some product to the football team!  Clearly it was some kind of dangerous performance-enhancing substance, and...  and...  it destroyed Chad's house after letting the football team win!"  Seamus O'Malley, new stablemaster, was confident that this Handley fellow was up to no good, with his little "deals" and "cure-alls" he seemed to be selling.

Handley was nonplussed.  "A purely innocent transaction, I can assure you.  Chad wouldn't want me punished for helping the Ospreys out!  And what does this have to do with the house?  At least I am a salesman and make fair trades.  You claimed to have stolen a holy relic from the Church!  Well.  I'll tell you something, I'm a merchant in information as well.  You're no fallen priest.  I checked with a Cardinal 'friend' I have, and you're still on the books as a member of the Inquisition!  Why the lie?"

"...what?  This... this is impossible!  I'm innocent, just examine me!  Er...  wait, no, I'm suspicious if you examine me, because I'm an outlaw?  I..  uh...  ὁ δὲ Ἰησοῦς ἔλεγεν· πάτερ, ἄφες αὐτοῖς, οὐ γὰρ οἴδασιν τί ποιοῦσιν. διαμεριζόμενοι δὲ τὰ ἱμάτια αὐτοῦ ἔβαλον κλήρους."  And then Seamus ran.  Not very far, as he was soon tackled by the other townspeople, but it was a noble attempt.  

The Russian Kolmogorov seemed to snap awake at that.  "Uh...  I think that's a line about "Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do, from Luke 23?  ...  I'm a very skilled mathematician, it entails some knowledge of Greek as well."  

Sheriff Hutchison wondered aloud if he wouldn't have to pay for Rev. Jones' services, and if O'Malley would be decent enough to serve as priest at his own execution.  A search of O'Malley's belongings turned up the 'relic,' a fingerbone of...  presumably some saint?  Deputy Webster didn't find much else of interest.  "Unfortunately I can't make heads or tails of his journal.  Seems like it's in both Latin and in code.  Must have been part of some secret society, I guess."

O'Malley administed the Last Rites to himself as best he could, and then was led off to the gallows.  "I'm sorry I couldn't save the innocents of Marbury right now.  I guess others will have to take up the mantle of purging the sorry and damned sorcerers that infest this place.  But even if they don't...  know that judgment awaits regardless.  Just a little later."

Seamus O'Malley, Scum Docfather, was lynched!  (Can protect one person a night from normal nightkills.  If he protects himself, he additionally returns 'town' to sane cops and 'scum' to insane cops.)

--

It is now Night 4.  You have 24 hours to get your orders in.  If you are late with your orders, I'm going to be out most of Friday night, so Day 5 will have to start extra-late in that case.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 05:53:23 AM by SnowFire »

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Cthulu Mafia - Day 5
« Reply #521 on: May 08, 2010, 05:42:26 AM »
The mood of Marbury momentarily brightened.  Sure, there still wasn't any actual evidence that Father O'Malley had done anything, well, wrong, but hadn't he "confessed" anyway?  And would a man of the cloth lie?  Well...  actually he already had lied, but he certainly wouldn't lie about wanting to purge Marbury of evil, right?  But... just...  who was evil here, anyway?  It wasn't so clear anymore, so the best thing to do would clearly be to celebrate at Rosie's Country Inn with Pietro's last shipment and try and forget about such issues.

Salesman Kyle Handley was especially exuberant about his narrow escape from the noose.  "I'm tellin' ya.  That's me, for you.  People are jealous, but I always pull through.  Did I ever tell you the story about Bérangère, this beautiful French lady and an heir to a fortune?  Oh, you should have seen the look on her father's face.  I was never really in danger, anyway, I'm personal friends with the governor, who would have called out the National Guard to pardon me.  Besides, nobody's been working harder than me to solve this case.  With my skills it'll be over tomorrow.  Just you wait."

The only thing to spoil the party was...  Peyton Hadley, crashing in with what looked like a script in his hands?

"I present to you...  Act II of The King in Yellow!  It claimed the lives of all my friends from 2 years back- and now it shall claim the lives of the scoundrels who haunt Marbury, and who hunt us at this very moment!  No more running from this day, we face it together and sink or sw-" and at this point Hadley was cut off by Jack Daniels, who had snuck across the room and punched Hadley in the jaw.

"Get a hold of yourself, man!"  Daniels grabbed the script and dunked it into a nearby glass of health tonic, before reaching for a cigarette lighter which then failed to catch - too much water, too little alcohol.  After the fight, it was clearly time to head home for everyone.

---

Handley, before retiring to his room at the Inn, strolled outside for a smoke, before seeing a familiar face.

"So what do you want at this late hour from me?  Let me guess, here to see the merchant of information...  wait...  what's... that?  Let's...  let's just hold off now...  a proposition, if you will?  I've got friends... powerful friends...  with money...  secrets...  we can...  there can be a deal, right?  There..."

...and then a scream, and the sound of someone running off.

---

There was much to do the next morning.  Call other authorities, attempt to find where the late Mr. Handley's true place of residence was, deal with the ranting actor...  well, at least the third problem was easily soluble.  Dr. Gottlieb happened to be in town anyway to pick up supplies for the Sanitarium.  He chuckled upon hearing of Peyton's strange behavior.  "Mr. Hadley?  Oh, don't worry, we.... specialize in such cases.  Especially given this generous anonymous donation to pay for his care.  He'll be fine, just fine.  I expect he'll be a cheerful, productive member of society again in, oh, six months or so.  Until that time, he won't trouble you at all!  Ah, what a wonder it must be for you all to have a world-class asylum right next door."

Meanwhile, Deputy Webster found something familiar in Kyle Handley's rooms.  "I thought these books looked awful familiar.  Ain't these some of the books we found in Moses's home?  Was this Mr. Handley a thief of information, and not just a merchant of one?  ...don't know if it helped him any, tho'.  These books must be cursed to have two tragic deaths so close to one another.  Looks like he stole some books from both Hayles and Hutchins, too.  The audacity to steal from the dead, I swear."

Sheriff Hutchison nodded.  "A damn shame.  I suppose we could return at least Moses' books to his next of kin... but would he really want cursed books?  A few of these, like, this book labeled Qanoon-e-Islam, say "Property of Miskatonic University."  I say we send 'em back to them, real quiet and all, and don't mention the curse.  Let 'em molder in some library harmlessly.  What Gershom doesn't know can't hurt him."

Deputy Webster nodded.

Peyton Hadley, Town One-Shot Bulletproof Bodyguard, went crazy and was committed! (Can protect one person a night from normal nightkills.  The first nightkill attempt against him in the game is nullified.)
Kyle Handley, Town Megalomanaic, was murdered! (Delusions of grandeur.  Returns aspiration of being a "Vigilante Supercop Doctor Bulletproof Triplevoter (???)" to rolecops, with (???) warning.  Starts vanilla, but actual power is to read books and show how much better he is at various roles after the previous occupant is dead.  At time of death, had inherited Moses Bike's Archivist ability, a one-shot prevent-sanity-kill ability from Ethan Hayles' role if reversed, and a one-shot Doctor ability from Chad Hutchins.)

---

It is now Day 5 - October 30, 1928.  It is Potential LYLO, but a potential LYLO that favors town.  It is quite likely that town will make it to Day 6 even in the event of a mislynch.  There is no deadline, but as with Day 3, I will set a soft deadline of 5 days - 120 hours.  With 7 investigators, it takes 4 to lynch.

Also.  In administrative notes.  Nikolai, Nikolai, Nikolai.  I've already chatted with you in IRC about this, but you posted quite literally the bare minimum amount to avoid a modkill on Day 4.  If this starts to recur on Day 5 you will be modkilled.  Your posts do not have to be long, but including who you think is town, who you think is scum, and how you plan to vote should be sufficient to stave off a modkill if you are direly pressed for time.

Chiaki

• Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: Cthulu Mafia - Day 5
« Reply #522 on: May 08, 2010, 06:49:37 AM »
Well. On the one hand, that may have just saved us a mislynch. On the other hand, whoever our vig is needs to maybe get rid of that itch in his trigger finger, because I'm not fond of all this LYLO'ing going around.

Anyway. Potential suspects are now EVERYONE who is not confirmed town. There are two scum left (LYLO at seven people with only one scum? I defy you to make that math work), and I know I'm town, which means at least one of the people in the rolecopped trio of Nathan, Samuel and Nikolai is scum. I don't think I have to point out which of that group looks the worst right now. Nikolai, get your ass in gear. NOW.

Not sure how much I'll be around this weekend; I have work tomorrow and family visiting on Sunday. Will endeavor to post as much as I can, and should have more time on Monday.

Chiaki

• Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: Cthulu Mafia - Day 5
« Reply #523 on: May 08, 2010, 06:51:35 AM »
Also, to be clear, I'm assuming that we have a vig (or serial killer) now, rather than a second scumkill, because of Excal's role. Granted there COULD be three nightkills, or it could be a head-fake on the mod's part (a doc role but nobody to protect from), but those seem like outright dickish moves to me.

Asuka Langley

• Denizen
    • View Profile
Transparent Galaxy Syndrome
« Reply #524 on: May 08, 2010, 08:53:50 AM »
I've been slow killed again. I guess scum are really scared of me for some reason. I know I'm confirmed townie and all this time, but I was vaguely expecting it to go Jack's way before me. Oh well. The flavour text was pretty hilarious this time, mostly for being mostly the same as the first time, and most of the rest of it acknowledging the similarity. I assume/hope Snowfire will be releasing all of the flavour text to us at the end of the game, as massive as that will be (my books alone will take up tons of space).

Again, I'd quite like to set up the fast killer to claim. Kyle's death doesn't actually imply quite as much as I'd like it to (notably it could be cunning due to leading into LYLO and forcing thinking outside the box now), but as Martin's already mentioned, Seamus's role basically seals the deal for me. The thing he's forgetting in this is that Seamus claimed miller - why the hell would he do that if he had any intention of protecting himself and risking flipping the wrong sanity to a cop? As I [at least believe I] have been saying, I was in full support of using the fast kill once more, due to it effectively giving us one more lynch. I'm sure that a town fast killer is perfectly aware of potential LYLO being dependent on him accidentally killing town tonight.

(I also have reason to believe that the fast killer isn't ITP due to balance issues and it probably being a tedious role to play, but I'm not going to force that argument)

Regarding Kyle. From his pleas towards the end of the day, it seems clear that he did have some information, but I should point out that my role as Archivist wasn't as good as it sounded: I got to choose from a selection of books, with differing results. Some would be useless (send me RP insane), some would give me information about people's dark secrets and only 'at least four' would result in information about the game. Although it was implied that you could kinda-sorta work out which was which, I got lucky, and it's entirely plausible that Kyle did not. I'm surprised he didn't consider the odds of him being fast killed, but what can you do.

Given I'm about to die and it can't affect anything, I can confirm that in this instance I'm vanilla, and have no new information since night 2. The flavour is that it's because my books were stolen/impounded, but I'm pretty sure this would have happened even if Kyle had died before my own initial demise. I imagine at least most of you will have guessed this already given the Hellmosquito's flip, but figured there was no point in volunteering this information in the hopes it might tip the balance on the scum kill, which it may have done.

Top thing that comes to mind is that Nikolai claimed to have scanned Kyle on night 2. How delightfully suspicious that looks now.

It also comes to mind that the 4 inside / 5/6 outside thing would still be resolved with millers if Nikolai is scum. The fact that he's been acting so damn suspicious from the start of the game throws him right to the top for me, even with it still being possible that the box could still be tied up neatly.

More in a bit.