Register

Author Topic: 2010 Year In Review: Gaming  (Read 4752 times)

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
2010 Year In Review: Gaming
« on: January 06, 2011, 04:20:24 AM »
I figured we use have to topics like these so...why not?  Basically, in terms of Video Games (...and I guess you can extend it to Tabletops and CCGs, if that's your thing, BUT NO SPORTS!!!!), how was the year 2010 for you?

Break it up however you like.  This is really just your own personal reflection of the games you played over the year, be it genuine new releases, games that aren't new but you played for the first time in 2010, games you replayed for whatever reason...just stuff related to gaming in 2010.

I'll give my own thoughts later, just figured a topic like this should be made to spark discussion.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Idun

Re: 2010 Year In Review: Gaming
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 04:33:01 PM »
2010 - The Year I Realize I Am a Heavy 360 User (. . . in comparison to the 100% unused PS3)

Keep in mind I've been slowly gaming due to various reasons and simple lack of umpf. I filled 2010 with The Last Remnant, Infinite Undiscovery, Lost Odyssey, Borderlands, *Halo, Castle Crashers, and DL games such as Castlevania Symphony of the Night.

The former, I will beat before this month is over. I've decided to end all sidequesting, besides on last one, in attempt to re-fight The Conqueror and defeat him. The 360 version does not have New Game+, which is major fail, because out of those listed games, I really favor TLR.

Infinite Undiscovery I beat quite easily. It's a fairly short game. I really enjoyed the map integration/item integration on map fields without returning to a city. Very raw feel with that. If the resulting effects of battling didn't appear to be a big mash of seizure-inducing colors, the voice acting was better and the storyline did not end up very SO3, then I would definitely label this as the best RPG I've played on the 360 so far. Yes, I will play TOV for the 360, but I have to buy it, which means no time soon.

Lost Odyssey is quite an odyssey. I have no clue when I'll beat this game. It's bad. Design, aesthetics - not so bad. Storyline, battling? Very bad. Very boring. I believe I got as far as I did simply because it was the only RPG I had for the 360 for a bit. Well, not including Eternal Sonata.

Borderlands is a very fun game. I wish the subject matter was a bit different. I'm not quite interested in treasure-hunting stories, but the actual gameplay is awesome.

Castle Crashers and Castlevania Symphony of the Night I abuse when I'm vacillating between which game to play. Castle Crashers is really only enjoyable as a multiplayer game after beating it. At least if you're in a hurry. CSoTN is golden. I believe the 360 controller makes it a tad bit easier to cast spells now that I was forced to become acquainted with the controller. At first, I couldn't do Soul Steal. Then I put a pink sleeve on the controller, and voíla . . . I plan on designating these two games as my gradual max out games.

I believe 2011 will be all about the PS2, AKA, backlog. I'll resume WA3 in February.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 06:35:15 AM »
I finished a ton of games this year... right up until about August I had a great pace going on. Then I started working on MF6 and stopped playing pretty much anything.

I have finished maybe 2 games since August? Resonance of Fate and ... something on the DS probably?

Making a game takes up a lot more time than playing one. Which reminds me, I should get back to working on that.

Resonance of Fate was pretty good stuff, though a bit repetitive later on.

My favorite game of last year? Probably VPDS. The game just really struck a chord with me despite how much it seems to get loathed around here.

Best game I played last year? ToV.

Best game to get stat topic'd last year? SaGa Frontier. (Thank you Elfboy! ^_^)

Ranmilia

• Poetry Lover
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Not a squid!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 03:04:17 PM »
Hm, why not make a long rambly post once in a while. 

2010 in Alexland was a great year for playing shooting games and a pretty decent if sparse year for most other things.  I'll start with the shooters first.

Towards the beginning of the year (if not earlier, but I don't remember very well), I picked up the first generation of Cave games on emulation and was finally versed enough in the genre to beat and appreciate them. 
- Dodonpachi surprised me with its level of polish and the surprising number of things it does right for being a supposedly experimental founder of a genre.  It holds up really well, even now, with its level design, basic chaining system and no frills structure. 
- ESP Ra De on the other hand doesn't fare so well.  It's fun for a few plays and certainly worth beating, but the controls are too shaky and imprecise, player and enemy hitboxes aren't well defined, and the secondary weapon system is a bit of a trainwreck to figure out.  In the end, unlike DDP it's more notable for the bits and pieces it introduces and the series it starts than its own self as a coherent product.
- Guwange was and is a weird, weird game.  It's one of the few Cave shooters to never receive a sequel or tie-in, or even a spiritual sequel elaborating on the base gameplay.  In fact, I can't even think of another shooter that uses anything like Guwange's "control two characters at once" system.  Possibly because this game knocked it out of the park and explored all its potential already.  It's easily the best that first-gen Cave has to offer, although I'm blanking on trying to describe or compare it to anything else.  Completely amazing and totally unique game.
- Progear was Cave's first foray into horizontal scrolling shooters, and truth be told they failed it up pretty badly here, managing to get the worst points of both other horizontals and their own vertical shooters' traits and mash them into one completely unfun trainwreck.  Not much more to say there.

In March, I expected a demo of Touhou 13 to come out, but instead was surprised by Touhou 12.5 aka 9.5 II: Double Spoiler hitting.  I hoped from its announcement that it would shore up the gameplay flaws in both the TH10/11/12 engine and the original gameplay of Shoot the Bullet, and it did exactly that for the most part and was a real blast to play through.  It was also... kind of easy, though.  Despite having more content than StB1 and an actual difficulty curve rather than a series of spikes, the curve stayed really low through far too much of the game and rose a little too gradually to ever be challenging.  Too many levels in the game were puzzles rather than dodging challenges - there's nothing wrong with puzzle levels, for sure, but once you figure them out there's very little replay value and I don't find myself drawn back to the game much.  Still a good fleshing out of the series, I guess.

Some time after that I set up PS2 emulation and got Cave's Mushihimesama working playably.  It is what it is, I guess?  Clearly an attempt to go in a more Touhou-ish direction with ludicrous numbers of bullets onscreen and dense, slow dodging, but it isn't executed in a very interesting way.  Hitboxes for everything are far too small, which sounds like an odd complaint, but it does take something away from the game when you think "oh I should have dodged that, gonna die now" and then miraculously pass right through a thick curtain of fire - ten times or more in a single game.  Dodging itself seems pointless, just kind of wiggle and you won't get hit, probably, except when you are!  Fun but nothing special.

At DLcon, Touhou 12.8: Great Fairy Wars hit.  As a short gimmick game it does pretty well, it obviously took a lot from Double Spoiler and the gameplay feels a lot more like the camera games than a normal shooter, but still manages to mix both styles.  Again, the most notable improvements were to polish as the game adopted DS's bullet cancels and a new style of boss mechanics.  And again, the game was great to go through a few times and then lacks replay value.  A real full game using these mechanics will probably be great... whenever Zun gets around to making one.

Until then, we have Christmas miracles!  Just around late December, MAME support for Cave's 2nd generation boards was finally implemented, and after ironing out technical issues, I could finally lay hands on three of their most famous games.
- ESPGaluda picks up some of ESPRade's concepts and turns them into an actually good game with the addition of the "Sirlin Mode" Kakusei system, allowing you limited amounts of slow time to dodge bullets and/or rack up your score.  It also has a steampunk fantasy setting, and most importantly manages to capture an essence of being fun to play from multiple directions.  Really great stuff.
- Dodonpachi Daioujou is maybe Cave's most famous game, but should be its most infamous.  It takes everything the original DDP did right, dilutes it into a mess and then kicks the player in the crotch repeatedly.  Controls are worse.  Chaining is worse.  The pilot system and hyper system are straight up groin shots.  Dodging is somehow less precise than DDP.  Difficulty is two levels of ease and then a ridiculous spike of murder on stage 3.  The last stage is straight up impossible unless heavily memorized.  It's almost as inaccessible as Progear to players who aren't already godlike scoring freaks willing to sink a hundred hours into the game.  Blah.
- Ketsui on the other hand feels like the real, deserving DDP sequel.  Enemy patterns are precise, bullet patterns are precise, dodging is precise and satisfying, there's a lot of polish and depth going on with ground, sea and air targets, multi-part bosses and a scoring system that's actually fun to try out and doesn't require memorizing the entire game, the music and graphics are amazing, I could go on.  Fantastic game.  Fun fact, the PS2 port of Ketsui had to be cancelled because it was too much for the game's hardware.  Yes.  A scrolling shooter.  Doesn't even have fancy bloom on everything like Ikaruga.  Good stuff.

Now that that's bored everyone to death, the year in standout non-shooters and non-replays...

Hero Core is an amazing Metroidvania/shooter hybrid that everyone should at least try out.  Manages to pull off "retro" without being annoying.  You can toggle things like detailed maps and a funny Engrishy language setting on and off, to taste, graphics are crisp and manage to be detailed despite being monochrome pixel art, gameplay is well designed and challenging without cheapshots.  Great game, loved it.

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories was bought and played on Hal's Wii.  The combat is abysmal, to the point where using the Homebrew Channel to turn on permanent invincibility improved the game tenfold.  The save system is infuriating.  Everything else about the game is fabulous.  It's the best entry in the Silent Hill series since 2, and has an argument for being the best native Wii game that actually puts the motion controls to legitimate non-fail use.

Saya no Uta is a VN, and... uh... hm.  Well, I enjoyed it, at least.  Very spinpire bait, in its storytelling, despite the overused sex and (perhaps surprisingly, given its reputation) underused gore.  It looks pretty terrible at the start, but about halfway through there's a brilliant shift in genre and perspective that completely redeems the stomach-turning first half.  Like I said, I loved it, but I could also understand hating it.  Discussion fodder for certain.

Fate/Stay Night probably doesn't need much of an introduction.  I went through it, roughly following seorin's Let's Playification.  Was thoroughly unimpressed, except by some of the animation and presentation trickery they pull off with the game engine.  The story is far too long winded and kind of insipid, and it feels like all the good parts are really just watered-down rehashes of stuff that the author did before and did better in Tsukihime.  Not terrible but not really good either.

Rumbling Spell Orchestra is my current CCG of choice and had a good resurgence of popularity around Augustish when the new expansions hit and finally fleshed it out into a game with more than three viable strategies.  Fallen out of it a bit since, but still should round up people to play again sometime, s'good stuff.

Metroid: Eris is a really good exploration-focused Super Metroid romhack, great environmental detail and design and pretty tough gameplay that focuses on having to actually be careful around enemies rather than lololol spikes in every room and suitless Norfair runs lolol.  Very fun.

Diablo II got another runthrough with a friend, all the way from the beginning to the end of Hell, with many an old warstory and nostalgia trip along the way.  It's really a terrible rock of a game that manages to wring some awesome blood from itself. 

Hm.  On the whole, not a lot of really new stuff, and I don't remember a lot of the year in general terms except for shooters.  Still felt like a decent year, if a bit of a lull gamingwise, but that's probably more to do with how my tastes run now (and depression).

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2011, 09:25:49 AM »
2010 was all about the DS for me.  Dragon Quest 9 was quite literally the only thing I played for several months after its release.  And I'm still playing it.  Dawn of Heroes was the other great DS game this year.  It's really short and easy to max out unlike DQ9, and the multiplayer is outstanding.  Except, there's never anyone on multiplayer because nobody has heard of the game.  :(

Bought a 360 right at the end of the year in preparation for Marvel vs Capcom 3.  So far I've been pleased with the system but not awestruck by it.

Tide

• Malice Tears
  • Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Cacophony of Sorrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2011, 03:16:19 PM »
Hm, I already linked this once or twice in chat. But just in case you missed it: http://kennethkycheung.wordpress.com/2011/01/06/

Pretty much all the games I ended up playing in 2010 (I think). Long story short:

Best game of the year: Sin and Punishment 2/ DKCR. Both are for the Wii and they are both awesome. I really have to thank Xer for showing me S&P2 late at Mini-meet, because I seriously probably wouldn't have paid attention otherwise. It plays like a shooter, but its more unique and challenges you largely on reflex and not pure memorization (there's some memorization, but a lot of it is still reflex). DKCR...well its pretty miuch the old DKC games rebooted. The collecting is back, and there's not random bullshit collecting like in DK64 and later Rare platformers. Difficulty's also gone up which is much appreciated

Worst game of the year: Seriously, you have to ask? This one belongs to ARF. 7S may come close, but 7S has the benefit of Skype mocking. Which makes it much less boring and funnier in its frustration than ARF.
<napalmman> In Suikoden I, In Chinchirorin, what is it called when you roll three of the same number?
<@Claude> yahtzee

<Dreamboum> Everyone is learning new speedgames!
<Dreamboum> A bright future awaits us gentlemens
<Pitted> I'm learning league of legends
<Dreamboum> go fuck yourself

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2011, 05:02:59 PM »
So best game of the year I have said elsewhere was Mass Effect 2.  I should probably elaborate more on that.

The plot in this game is pretty much dumb.  It is a space opera and an action flick that moves you through set piece to set piece and it does it wonderfully.  It is an excuse to gather together a fun quirky crew and has a much better reason for it this time than it did in the original.  This culminates with the Gilbert and Sullivan sung by an Alien clip that people have seen.  They manage to take a funny little side reference like that and it works perfectly into a character and is actually kind of touching at the end of the day.  So yeah Bioware does what Bioware does best in this game.  Big melodrama plot, big stages and delightful characterisation.

What makes it so great though isn't just that.  Although that is all some of the best Bioware work in a very long time, it combines that with the biggest leaps and bounds in refinement of an action RPG I have seen between two titles.  Bioware have been doing the ARPG thing on and off for a while now starting with Jade Empire, the jump from that to Mass Effect was not to big really, they both have their little clunky bits but are functional hoops to jump through to get to the character work.  Mass Effect 2 is just straight up a fun shooter.  It is fairly simplistic and can easilly become formulaic at times, but it is dispersed through side quests, previously mentioned character dialogue so much that it keeps it fresh and interesting.

Essentially it is everything a sequel should be.  It expands on the best parts of the original, keeps the plot moving along (and goes to the same places Empire does as the best sequels tend to in this epic Space Opera genre, it takes a positive story and then yanks you down to a dark place to make the ultimate triumph all the better) and then has an astounding amount of work done on the weak points of the previous game.  Inventory system is weak?  Do we need this?  Honestly, not really and they jettison that shit like you would not believe.  It works brilliantly. 

The weakest point in the game is that the replacement for the boring frustrating driving around up cliff walls during planet landings in ME1 was replaced with a more dull version of planetary scanning and resource gathering from Star Control 2.  In pretty much all other ways it hits the ground with all cylinders firing.

Also worth noting is that the game has a fairly unique morality choice system.  There isn't a good or evil and the scales aren't mutually exclusive.  The Paragon/Renegade system taken from the original is extended on to even further extremes.  Playing through as Paragon you really do get the story of a compromised but still fundamentally loyal soldier who looks out for both the Alliance and the Citadel Council.  The Renegade path has to be seen to be believed and is totally worth playing through the game a second time just to see it.  It isn't so much a case of wanton violence and cruelty, but it is brutal effectiveness and efficiency taken to the logical extremes of the vast scale the game works on.  Why shoot a guy in the back when he is standing next to an open window in a huge sky scraper?  You can totally just push him out instead.  It is entirely uncalled for and excessive, but it damn well works.  That is pretty much how the entire Renegade path plays out, it is just amazing to see.

To top it all off, not only is the game worth playing through again, the classes are diverse so you can easilly play through again in a completely different fashion, or if you prefer in a similar but slightly different fashion emphasising different areas that your first class didn't.

So yeah, game of the year to me.  It does almost everything the right way following up a flawed but really quite fun game that I reccomend to people and as a game that is pretty easy to sink 40ish hours into it brings enough to the table.  The fact that it brings enough for a second play through is something rare and worthy of praise.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2011, 05:43:36 PM »
Played a ton of good games this year. The best is hard to say. Maybe FE10, maybe ToV, maybe Defense Grid. All were quality titles.

Worst is VPDS. I had forgotten about that miserable pile of fail until Snow mentioned it in the winter poll topic I had made. I was happier not remembering that game.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2011, 05:44:55 PM »
I didn't play many new games. My fav is Edgeworth though.
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2011, 10:39:16 PM »
Worst is VPDS. I had forgotten about that miserable pile of fail until Snow mentioned it in the winter poll topic I had made. I was happier not remembering that game.

VPDS: its only redeeming feature is stealth trolling people by accident. Glad to be of service.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2011, 10:45:28 PM »
Awesome

StarCraft II - Campaign is solid, lots of interesting stuff and surprisingly non-fail plot so long as you're okay with pulpy space marines.  MP with the DL crew is also fun, definitely better than playing random faceless people.  Even random stuff like the challenges and collecting achievements is neat.  Has eaten a huge amount of time since it's easy to pick up.

Heavy Rain - Very nicely done.  Some plot weirdness but honestly if you analyze your average murder mystery TV show or movie too you'll find some there as well.  Fantastic production values.  Liked most of the characters, although Madison was definitely the biggest stretch to work into the plot.

Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth - Came up with a way to play as Edgeworth that didn't break PW canon over the wacky way trials work, which was neat, and they didn't make Gumshoe competent, which was also refreshing (it sounded like they might from the previews).  Kay is one of the best of the "crazy female assistants" in the series.  And, surprisingly, Franzy came off pretty well, too.  I always felt she was something of a weak link before (haha she whips things) but AAI used her well by playing into the fact that she's worse than Edgeworth and resents this and letting her come up with the loopy theories Edgey shoots down.  My only complaint is that they made the "link thoughts" system way too easy; they needed to toss in, say, 8 or so complete red herrings per case to be noticed that never get connected to anything.  Okay, and Case 5 embraces the Phoenix Wright tradition of "absurdly over-complex plot to kill people and frame others despite the fact that the villain is established to have henchmen and could have ordered them to do the killing, or the cleanup, or hell, just shoot the guy and move on."

Team Fortress 2 - I got the Orange Box at last Christmas's Steam Holiday sale.  Brought back memories of UT in the computer lab at college.  In all seriousness, the class system is really multiplayer FPS done right - memorizing weapon drops on the map is far less important, so it feels like the focus is on fighting rather than playing collect-the-weapons.  And damn if the characters aren't amusing.

Portal - Still alive.

Pretty Good

A lot of weird indie games that take < 5 hours here.  Huh, that was not intentional.

Iji - Deus Ex meets Metroid.  I like both so I like this.  The dialogue / plot is written in the style of a very smart high school senior who is a sci-fi fanboy, which is actually fine; I've definitely read worse.  Just the TONE and STYLE sets off some first-timer alarms despite the underlying IDEAS being serviceable.  Music shockingly good for freeware title, too (I played the game out of curiosity over Iji's music being nominated two Music Tourneys in a row and me disliking "Tor" at first, but coming around to it after it lost by a vote.  Oops.).  The MGS-esque "don't kill people" thing is pretty hypocritical (reflecting shots is a-okay!) but the pure stealth options in 2D are limited so I'm okay with it.  A+ moment: exploring a secret deserted bunker to unsettling ambient noise, getting to the end, then watching as all the doors close and teleporting assassins stop by oh god.

Puzzle Agent - The puzzles are nothing special but the dialogue + humor + Minnesota accents + art style + (the plot?) are great.  And it's just ~4 hours or so.  On the downside: argh non-ending ending WTF.  I'm fine with leaving some MYSTARY about give us some closure, since, you know, Gloria Davner tries to kill Agent Tethers and the Sherrif holds him up and all so we can at least settle some of the human plotlines.

Where We Remain - Like Puzzle Agent, the gameplay itself is nothing special but I approve of the meta in this game.  I always think it's neat when a game actually explains something that normally must be taken for granted because it's a game.  Definitely FAQ how the temples work though, the game is too annoying if you don't understand that.

Scribblenauts - Such a bizarre idea for a game.  But amusing and if you get stuck you just skip that one puzzle.  Plus you get to inflict such crazy fates on people, repeatedly.  Now if only the control scheme was moderately sane...

Wild Arms: XF - Finished about half of this in 2009 but the rest in Jan 2010.  Anyway.  The battle system is cool!  That's the most important thing.  Felt I had options, the unique characters tended to have cool quirks to make them worth using, and classes having almost everything unlocked if you switch into them meant I felt free to experiment knowing I could grab a class if need be.  The difficulty was also a pleasant surprise - WA:XF feels like a puzzle game too much at times, but I appreciated being challenged.  (Although Chapter 3 is a pretty giant letdown in the difficulty curve for some reason.)   Plot and character wise...  well, no lies, I rage a lot about some silly plot twists and excuses for fights.  A good amount of the character work I felt had problems too (Clarissa is too much a Mary Sue, Felius is too bland, Ragnar loses infinite points for his actions toward the end of Chapter 1, Alexia is a phoned-in battle princess, Charlton is supposed to be competent but this comes off erratically at best, Eisen is likewise erratic, and I think the "what is fear" plotline for Katrina was stupid.).  But in spite of all that, I seriously respect that WA:XF tried to have a big epic plot with some themes I like, and plenty of the plot worked fine.  Levin had his moments, as did Clarissa and Labby.  Even Ragnar got to occasionally shine when yabbering with Chelle.  Charlton gets some presence points, and Weisheit works well for the kind of villain he is.  Rupert and Edna were both awesome start to finish.  The game does the most important thing which is plain devoting a lot of time and lines to the characters - lots of in-between battle chats, villain-cam expositions, exploring weird places like spaceships, etc.  I'm pretty much willing to enjoy the good and write-off the bad as stuff that didn't appeal to me.  Really, a bigger downside with the game is probably that the replay value is questionable - the puzzley nature of many missions means that you're actively handicapping yourself if you try to do it the "wrong" way, and playing with all generics rather than uniques is probably just less fun.

Final Fantasy 7: Crisis Core - For a game with so many objectively bad design choices, it's shockingly good.  Definitely best played on Hard, albeit with the slight annoyance that monitoring when your Protect / Shell wears off is very important.  Plotless "Missions" for extra lootz are a terrible idea but oh well, I guess it saves disc space.  Appropriately enough, Sephy was the hardest fight in the game for me - he Game Overed me twice with nasty DEF-ignoring hits that can kill you very fast if you don't have Protect up.  Plot / character wise...  Zack was fun!  Which is important since you play as him.  Basically I liked what they did with the pre-existing characters (Zack, Tseng, Sephiroth, Aeris, Hojo) - sane, competent Sephy was in particular nicely sympathetic at first, which was well done.  I like that they remember how badly everyone misinterpreted Jenova / the Ancients and run with that.  Most of the new characters were lame, though.  Hollander was nothing special but worked I guess as enemy Hojo.  Lazard's plot feels incomplete - so why does he betray SOLDIER again?  And plotwise this seems to accomplish nothing anyway?  They forgot to do anything with Cissnei who serves entirely as "the other distraction not-a-love-interest," and also seems to play up the idea that the Turks are competent which is shaky at best.  Angeal...  okay at first, later plot was kinda nonsensical.  And lastly the ultimate red leather wanker himself, Genesis.  Why does he think a freaking play means anything, again?  They try to give Genesis other motivations, badly, but as it stands the only one that still even vaguely explains his actions is the first one - "screw Shinra, screw everyone, me & me monsters are gonna blow shit up."  I'm standing by my "Genesis was just totally crazy and all the babble about the Goddess was just him being crazy" theory of FF7CC.  Sorry, he's not sympathetic, Angeal and Zack are crazy if they want to save him, he needs a good killing.  But whatever.  Badass presence + zillions of clones worked for getting to fight Genesis a whole lot so that was fun at least.

Castlevania Rondo of Blood PSP - It's been awhile since I played a straight-up 2D platformer.  This is among the best of them.

Decent

Sherlock Holmes: The Awakened Remastered - Aka Holmes vs. Cthulu.  Blame Alex's Sherlock Holmes Arkham game he never ran.  Anyway, Chapter 2 is quite good (Sherlock Holmes at the insane asylum), and Chapter 1 is okay.  Unfortunately Chapters 3 and 4 are kind of lame, as is the final showdown.  I do like that some of the puzzles are "here's a question and an empty text box.  Go to!"  Too much prompting makes too many puzzles too easy with multiple choice, or even a finite list of items / evidence to try.  The "type your answer" is a nice antidoe where you *have* to actually think.  (Or admit defeat and use the in-game hint system.  Which was also neat.)  Also the characters kind of suck except for Holmes, but the game is about Holmes so they picked the right one to get right.

Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars Director's Cut (DS edition) - I'm not 100% sure this was 2010 (coulda been 2009) but whatever.  Amusing enough dialogue and I like that they wrote it for handing over pretty much anything in your inventory.  And the new stuff they added with Nico as the main character was interesting.  On the downside, from talking with people who played the original, they took OUT some parts to save room that rendered some plot twists meaningless and/or nonsensical.  The final showdown was also a total letdown - some very, very, very easy non-puzzles, and plotwise it didn't add up.  There was nothing supernatural actually in the game.  So this big ritual should accomplish exactly squat, though I guess using it as an excuse to try and assassinate them all is fair enough.  I'm just not seeing the tension in "stop the Templars from pretending to take over the world with a fancy artifact" or whatever.  If that WAS supposed to be supernaturally potent they needed to give me some reason to believe so.

Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon (final 3 missions) - Hey it's Fire Emblem gameplay.  With some interesting twists.  Neat.  It'd have been more compelling if I'd cared about the characters, which earlier FE games generally made me do.  Just, the plot and characters to SD are so very very bad.  Like, bad bad.  Bad, bad, bad, bad, bad, BAD.  Bad.

Sands of Destruction - Hey look it's the only straight-up console RPG I finished in 2010.   I can rant for some time on this one, but in fairness...  the battle system, while overly easy, was still fun.  Some of the plot ideas were good, enough to string me along.  On the downside, the plot and characters have some giant, undeniable problems as well.  And unlike WA:XF, it's frequently errors of omission in SoD where, say, Kyrie and Morte will stop talking.  Give me more melodramatic plot twists and party chatter.  But yeah, almost nothing about the overall plot is done right.  The early part of the game features entirely too much fetch-questing and poor dungeon design.  The middle part of the game has the Beastlords gunning for you because...  because...  I dunno.  Only one of the beastlords seems to exhibit the proper horror at "oh god world destruction" so I guess they see you as political rivals, but wouldn't it have been so much cooler if your party was gunning for *them*?  The scene with (Eagle) Rex where you walk into town and have a giant fight needed to be replicated a lot more.  It's really bad when Tales of Symphonia handled its human / demihuman tensions plot far better.  Kyrie was a bad choice for main; they should have made Morte the main character and not included Kyrie, or done something totally different with him.  Given that he is a generic do-gooder, I do appreciate his plot twist where he finally does the sensible thing a do-gooder should.  The last third of the game just sucks plotwise.  Make your sekrit evil plotters make at least a smidgen of sense, please, game.  So yeah.  Still decent but lots of ARGH.

Retro games I've long since beaten that I screwed with:

Master of Orion 2 - Tried some weird MOO2 hacks that tried to balance picks better.  Eh.
Liberty or Death - Patriot blood has flowed like wine, yet they still come despite having eaten like 20,000 fighting men lost to our ~2,000 or so.  Words cannot describe how screwed the British are in this game even with some light cheating + save state scumming on their side.  I'm trying to push the Americans entirely out of New York so I can turn off the NY militia but figures that Ft. Stanwix has the American fleet somehow teleporting into the Great Lakes just after I asked for British fleet support in the Mid-Atlantic provinces only.  Crap.
Deadlock - This game's AI is still made out of tapioca.

Incomplete and won't complete due to being bad / not owning a PSP
Jeanne d'Arc - Okay this was tolerable enough while I played it but it has severe plot / character fail, if not quite at FE:SD level, and it's supposed to get even worse.
Final Fantasy Dissidia - Not my cup of tea.  Having to level all the characters up to get their moves?  Yuck.  Wasn't really feeling the combat system and the "plot" felt like it would be actively painful.  Glad I tried this only on loan, I only got ~30 minutes in.
Rondo of Swords - Played mission 1, seemed terrible, moved on to FF12: RW instead.

Incomplete

Half-Life 2 - This game hasn't aged as well as expected.  Stopped in Ravenholm as the game was way too linear for my tastes.

Avalon Code - Started this back in ~Dec 2009, stopped briefly, got worried this meant I would suck at the game since I had to go collect a specific code but I'd forgotten where one was and didn't feel like re-scanning everything with the Doomsday Book.

Mega Man 10 - Fun!  Got to Wily's base and was unsure if I could save in the middle after using screw-powered items and screw myself over (har).  So kinda stalled out on part II and didn't return and lost my notes as to which repeat robot bosses were weak to what, found via the good old fashioned way of trial & error.  Should return some time, definitely.

Valkyria Chronicles - "Kill the Emperor's tank" mission.  Cool idea but all sorts of random traps that aren't obvious at first.  Will definitely return sometime though.

Laggy Fantasy Tactics - Had barely started it when I saw FF13 for thirty bucks.

Final Fantasy 13 - Got to Sazh's major twist (around when he gets an Eidolon).  Tentatively liking so far.  I hope they give Cid a motivation other than "helping the protagonists" like "attempting to overthrow government in military coup, install self as dictator."  We'll see.

Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale - Look it was 5 dollars on Steam and came with Puzzle Agent + stuff.  Eh.  Played 1.5 dungeons in, got bored, not compelling enough.

Final Fantasy 12: Revenant Wings - Vaan and Penelo have lines!  And personalities!  And there's a plot!  And you get to fight a big bad guy as early as Chapter 3!  Wow!  The script is snappily written and this time they've given lines to everyone.  Gameplay is kinda meh so far but it's passable; I could do without the VaanCraft armies.  Also, the game is calling back to FF12 really really hard - basically every piece of music is a remix.  On one hand, Cerobi Steppe was the best piece in FF12, so it's nice it gets a prominent position here as the overworld music; on the downside the DS instrumentation kind of butchered it.  On the other hand, I actively like better the battle preparation music, which is a far better use of the Phon Coast music.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 11:02:23 PM by SnowFire »

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2011, 09:06:50 PM »
Lots of games for me!  I'll try to go in rough order of what I played.

Worth noting that overall, Capcom or things spawned BY Capcom (platinum games) took up the majority of not only games I played, but the GOOD stuff spawned from them too.  So yeah, expect to see a lot of that stuff.

Onimusha 3: I think this overlapped into 2010 from 2009, but I'm honestly not sure at all.  Either way, first time I played an Onimusha game, twas alright, but nothing special.  Apparently it fixes a lot of the earlier game problems like Tank Controls...and people think the game is *WORSE* than the predecessors?  Purist fans piss me off.  Yes, RE-style tank controls in a game that actually requires genuine reflexes and combat is a GOOD thing apparently *rolls eyes*  Plot is completely ridiculous, but its Capcom, so I get the feeling they said "fuck it, lets have fun!"

Bayonetta: First game I genuinely started in 2010...and dear god was that a hell of a start.  Got this release day cause the trailer made it look sexy (not in...er...the shameful way most people would apply to Bayonetta), and cause I was starving for a new DMC style game.  Game delivered in like everyway.  Went in thinking "The game's going to match it on gameplay, but I doubt it'll match it on-...did she just domino a whole bunch of angels into a tombstone?" at which point, I realized this was the game for me.  One of the best games I ever played, would be 10/10 material if not for some minor little goof ups (most notably, QTEs and poor implementation of them.)

Okami: From one Hideki Kamiya game to the other.  Playing this after Bayonetta meant I missed a lot of Bayonetta's references to Okami but on the flipside, I played Bayonetta a lot after completion, so hey.  I don't think I ever had a one two punch of brilliance between two games played consecutively.  Okami was a ridiculously hyped game by all who played...and it actually lived up to it for the most part.  Really well done game and one of the few games in a long time that I felt was made with pure love for of the art, and NOT for the money (Okami really gives off this sense of passion very few games give off.)  I actually got this in 09, but due to some quirks in playing, it got delayed til early 2010.  It also is proof that Capcom can make any damn style game they want and do it right, as this game can be considered Capcom's answer to LoZ, and they managed to hit everything LoZ does right, and do actually NEW THINGS with the genre, on their first attempt, contrast to LoZ which just reuses the same freaking formula and mechanics every mainstream installment -_-

Anyway, yeah, like I said, I don't think I ever played two consecutive games that were similar levels of greatness, and the greatness was ridiculously high.

Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom: Actually got this game literally a day before beating Okami, and played it a few times then!  Anyway, fun installment to the Vs. series whose biggest flaw to me is that I don't know most of the Tatsunoko side, and a few obscure Capcom faces...but whatever, I just treated them as new original brawlers, and it worked.  A simplified version of the Marvel vs. Capcom games, but with a few extra quirks to not feel "Dumbed down", and the fast paced action while toned down, felt appropriate instead of just being pure madness.  A decently fun game overall.

At this point...I really forgot the order I played games, so I'm gonna say fuck it, and just list things at random!

Viewtiful Joe: Yes, so far, every game on this list has either been Hideki Kamiya, Capcom, or Both...but shut up!  A fun little game that's quirky and unique, but nothing mind blowing.  Kind of interested in the 2nd game for all that it sounds like the general consensus is that its inferior.  Also, it has Dante, and even adjusted the game's writing to adapt to his presence, which is just silly, yet so typically Capcom. 

Megaman 10: Its an 8 Bit Megaman game, though not quite as good as MM9 was, it was still a solid enough entry.  Mostly the levels and weapons were not as creative as MM9's, and difficulty felt a little less consistent.  Being worse than MM9 is hardly a damning thing though, seeing as the game is definitely up there as one of the best MM games of all time, as in, MM10 was a "Good" game, while MM9 was a "Great" game.

Wizard of Oz: The first game I played that year that I felt underwhelmed with, sure enough, its the first game that has nothing to do with Capcom that I played!  The game has a nice aesthetic appearance, and a neat system...but unfortunately, I felt that the game rarely did anything truly creative with it, so the system got repetitive and boring.   It felt too Dragon Quest like overall, in that battles being done in that first person perspective, where you can't see enemy animations, makes them that less engaging (this is a factor dating back to the NES era, as FF1 is definitely more aesthetically amusing than the first 2 Dragon Warriors or Phantasy Star 1/2.)  After a point, I felt the game was dragging, and the thing is?  The game is short.  It wasn't bad, but it certainly wasn't an experience I'd like to redo, and part of what made the game more bare-able was just seeing reaction of friends to the fact that I was playing a Wizard of Oz RPG.

Final Fantasy 13: First off, let me say, I liked FF12, but despite that, I was looking forward to them going more back to formula with FF13 and straying away from the MMO nonsense.  Overall, FF13 delivered what I had hoped it would.  Ok, the plot was rushed and poorly written, and the ending is a total train wreck cause it completely contradicts itself in terms of character motives and their actions, and its clear the writers had no clue what the fuck they wanted, so they just said "lets fix everything with LOTS OF EXPLOSIONS, so that we can write out everything that may contradict with a happy ending...and cause people like explosions!" which did hit me the wrong way...but overall, I found the game fun.  Its not one of the Great FFs, like FF10, but its certainly a decent enough game in its own right, and I'm still playing it now, so yeah.

The World Ends With You:  You know how I said Okami was massively hyped and it managed to live up to it?  TWEWY is a game that did not.  A stylus based battle system where the stylus felt unresponsive at times, or the controls were too intersecting to the point where its easy to accidentally do one thing when you intend something else.  I was not really fond of this game at all, and one of the first games I put on Easy mode on bosses cause I just wanted the game over with.  The battle system felt like a poor Tales variation with the stylus as a result.  The plot, while unique, was poorly executed.  Runs too much off anime influence, and it convinced me that Modern Japan does not a good RPG setting make.  I said it before in my big rant but it bares repeating; Plot Twists for the sake of having Plot Twists ARE NOT A GOOD IDEA.  Plot twists for the sake of covering up a plot twist that ISN'T a plot twist cause your original assumption was correct is just stupid.  Half of them were so predictable, the game had to go out of its way to lie to you just to throw you off so it can come back and say "No, you're right."  And as I said, I basically felt like I had a "Count down to plot twist in t-minus 10, 9, 8..."; I couldn't predict all plot twists, but damned if I wasn't good at calling when their reveals were gonna happen.

Also worth noting that someone in the DL, right after I posted my first response to the game, PMed me and basically said whoever suggested I play the game get punched, cause it is very obvious I would NOT enjoy it.  Going to avoid names, but this person was pretty much right; TWEWY was not a game for me at all.

Onimusha Dawn of Dreams: Inspired to play this with a combination of O3 being neat, this game apparently changing things up to be even more action oriented, and TvC's Soki...I can't say I am at all regretting the decision.  Game was a fun enough hack and slasher, with some good ham ("HIDEYOSHI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!") on the side, and a fun cast of characters to play as, gameplay wise.  Having 5 characters with all diverse fighting styles, and actually having plenty of time to get use to all of them was neat.  Game was a bit longer than I'd liked, and the final boss was 5 kinds of bullshit, since a lot of it depends on luck and just waiting for him to use a specific attack, but overall, a decent enough game.  And like the 3rd game, people despise this cause god forbid it MOVES AWAY FROM THE FORMULA!!!! it seems.

God of War 2:  With God of War 3 around the corner, I figured I might as well play the 2nd entry, despite not being a fan of the first *OR* having a PS3.  That, and there was a hell of "game for $10!" deal at Gamestop around then, so really, how could I say no?  I had heard that THIS is the real big game, not the first one, so I figured maybe the first one was just getting hype based off association, and people were forgetting its flaws and this game fixes them?
...no, this game was really just the same thing as the first all over the again.  While it fixed a lot of minor issues (it had actual boss fights!), the big prevailing ones like tedious, polarizing combat, or how the game feels like its trying to say "DID YOU NOT SEE THAT? ITS AWESOME! BE IMPRESSED NOW OR ELSE!"...and of course QTEs.  It doesn't help that I was not a fan of Kratos in the first game, though I could at least tolerate him there cause while a total asshole, he was still clearly the lesser of two evils compared to Ares, so I could at least sympathize with his side.  God of War 2, I found myself definitely NOT agreeing with him at all; it basically came off that instead of being someone trying to earn redemption, he's just vengeful and pissed off, cause the other Gods punished him for being...a total dickweed?  And to get back at the gods for controlling him, he...acts as the pawn of the titans instead?  Well, if you're trying to display Kratos as a FUCKING MORON, then you sure as hell succeeded!
In the end, when I finished, I tried to think why the God of War series is so popular, and the only thing I can think of is either the reviewers only play the first parts of the game (both games have impressive opening sections) and assume the rest of the game is like that, or better *OR* people somehow are able to ignore ALL gameplay details in favor of just being a sociopathic jerk.

Resident Evil 4: Back to Capcom!  For the longest time, I kept saying "RE4 looks decent for what it is, but I don't think its the game for me."  I never once denied the game's greatness, just figured it wasn't my cup of tea.  Then I finally cracked down and decided to play the game, after reading part of the LP again, cause it was cheap, and I figured as a Capcom fan, I should have at least play ONE game of this exceedingly successful franchise.  I played a bit of RE2 a while back, and found the game atrocious, mind you.  The end result?
Exceeding my expectations.  Its not the greatest game I played, but I cannot deny that I got a lot of enjoyment out of it.  There are decisions that you feel at questionable and detract from game play, but to be honest, you sort of just somehow overlook them, or they're incorporated well enough.  The game does a good job of mixing up styles of fighting too, be it typical "Shoot guy in head", or Sniping Warfare, or "Throw explosive into pack of enemies and watch them die"...yeah.  The biggest flaw of the game I'd say is poor boss fights.  The system doesn't lend itself well to long fights of "Shoot guy til he dies", though thankfully, there aren't that many of them.  A pleasantly surprising experience overall, it ALMOST made me consider getting RE5 cause that game seemed to have held onto a lot of the gameplay conventions RE4 did...

...then I played the demo of RE5 and basically decided against it, cause it seemed to have only a vague idea of what made RE4 good.  Well, that's a good $40 or whatever saved right there!

Super Street Fighter 4:  Its...exactly what it says on the tin.  "Its Street Fighter 4, but better!"  I like Street Fighter 4 a fair amount, so this is by no means a bad thing!

Tales of Versus: You know, after Dissidia impressing me a fair amount, and me like Tales games a decent amount (though not a major fanboy of them), I figured why not ask Djinn to nab me ToVs, and I'd pay him back for it.   Surely, a game with Tales battle system should translate really well into a Fighting game, right?
...I don't know how they did it, but they screwed it up a fair amount.  It feels really cheaply done, and I stopped playing it pretty fast.  You'd think with a strong cast and lots of playable characters, and running off the Tales system, it should be good, but they didn't try to balance things at all, and the forced 2 on 2 combat with some of the worst AI support ever really detracts from the game.  Not much else to say about the game; its just really unimpressive...its also in moon speak, but TALES PLOT so whatever.

Darksiders: This game is what happens when you splice God of War and Legend of Zelda, two franchises that I find overloved, and generally mediocre overall.  What is the end result? An overhyped game that is generally mediocre!  I don't have much else to say on the manner.  I saw vids and the game looked good (contrast to Dante's Inferno where I saw it and went "...that's God of War..."), but when I played it, the game...yeah.  It says something that Mandy, whose generally easy to impress, didn't like watching me play the game and often asked me NOT to, to play something else, cause it was boring.  I got the game NEW for $20, then got rid of it as soon as I was done.  Yeah, from now on, when a game gets compared to God of War, that's usually a sign to "NOT PLAY IT!" cause it probably means it has a lot of the same mindless combat and gameplay detracting things like BLOCK PUSHING PUZZLES (Oh yeah, didn't hype this before, but Okami RULES for not having these DESPITE its genre)

Dead Rising: A game whose plot is on the polar opposite spectrum as its gameplay for mood.  It plays itself up to be completely serious and dark...but then when you play the game, you're running over a Zombie with a lawnmower while wearing a Sunday Dress and a Servbot helmet.  Nice silly fun!  Game mostly gets major points for being so original; there's nothing comparable to it and it really doesn't fit into any genre, and its competent (though far from perfect) at what it set out to do. 

Dead Rising 2 Case Zero: Haven't gotten around to playing the 2nd game, though I intend too, but I did spend $5 to get this for a taste of things to come, and hey, it takes place before DR2, so it makes sense to play this first!  Also, my friend suggested I do this as its a good way to gauge interest on the 2nd game (as in, if you like this, you'll like DR2.)  Game seems...to mostly address most of DR1's problems.  Now, its hard to make a full assessment off a game that's 3 hours long (it is, after all, just an expansion prequel to DR2, only difference is you don't need DR2 to play it), but I can say that some of the ideas incorporated are neat, some of the ideas dropped from the first game are not missed, *AND* best of all?
THEY FIXED SURVIVOR AI!  I know there's like 3 the entire case, but just seeing people RUN AROUND Zombie hordes instead of INTO them and get through them with minimal difficulty was a HUGE improvement!

...I'm aware of the irony that I had a lot more to say about DR2C0 than DR1, but then, over half of what I said was useless stuff <_<

Taking a break here now, since this is long enough!  I'll get to the rest...later...

Nitori

• Denizen
  • The only thing YOU'RE onto is your mot-
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2011, 05:53:43 AM »
17th: Disgaea DS

Literally the most notable feature is that you can lose to Midboss and obtain the mascot character Pleinair that no one cares about! I tried to do as much a solo run as I could and had to bring out dummies at the end, then I tried to stat topic and gave up after about 3 seconds, that is Tallychu work for non-perfect silky smooth hands. Disgaea without voice acting, its best use is to Photoshop into any picture where Elfboy is frowning to make an epic image macro.

16th: Grandia III

One time some guys wanted to fly in the sky bro, and then we had a main character, an obligatory elf and love interest (glorious twofers), a woman with only two possible mounds of memorability, and someone who's only goal in life was sitting around and eating easily making his the most relatable character. Every so often there was a douche with a stupid haircut- GIANT EYE EATS EVERYONE the end.

At this point the shrooms wore off, and I went and owned some bitches with my stylin' combo system. Then people started talking, so I took another dose.

15th: Grand Theft Auto III

You may have revolutionized the sandbox genre, but only the land part of it. Evidently criminals can't swim, which means a prison a few feet out from the shore would probably actually work as a crime deterrent. Work your way up from being a gopher for a low level pimp to being a gopher for a slightly higher level extortionist. Also, banging a mafia don's wife is a bad idea no matter how much they hate each other; she talks, he tries to blow you up with a car. How do those two things go together? Finally, the car physics prove that I can drive into someone at high speed head on and just dent the car a bit, brb trying.

14th: Grand Theft Auto: Vice City

Dude still can't swim despite having a Hawaiian shirt, I mean come on. Fortunately you upgrade from GTA3's nameless protagonist who is a total psychopath to Tommy Vercetti, who is a psychopath, showing groundbreaking new story trends being made. Employ real acts of terror, such as bombing a construction site with a toy helicopter, only to inevitably fly it into yourself. Guess what happens when you fly a real helicopter then? Thankfully Tommy has much more exciting missions than Joe Danger up there or this would be dead last 16th, selling 'special' ice cream and advertising your porn film is a job for men with names.

13th: Persona 3 Portable

Literally the last game I played before my PSP died, go fig. The only actual point for me to even play this 70 hour montrosity again was to change from a male protagonist that spoke nothing to a female protagonist that spoke nothing. On the plus side, the hud is pretty and pink because that's what all girls like, Persona teachin us about women. Also they upgraded the battle system to P4 quality but who cares, I CAN HAVE SEX WITH AKIHIKO GOTY 2010! Ken link is creepy make it stop

12th: No More Heroes

Follow the adventure of VSM Travis Touchdown as he spends some amount of time hacking and slashing through enemies and hilarious and awesome boss battles, and as he spends a much, much larger amount of time mowing the lawn to even have the privileges to fight said bosses and purchase new toy lightsabers that look exactly the same as the old one. In reality you will spend 20 hours of game time petting your pet cat because it is the best feature.

11th: Devil May Cry

I count giant flaming spiders at night because that is what this game teaches you to do, along with some of the best 3D action for the time. Just don't expect to be actually going in the direction you're going in, or want to switch what gun or arm you're using! Also I hope you like early segments of levels because you'll see them again and again if your experiences mimic mine. But if your experiences mimiced mine, your head asplode from the awesome, and we'd have to FILL THE DARK SOUL SPACE WITH LIIIIIIGHT!

oh man they're all really good after this i swear don't cut my funding
<Ko-NitoriisSulpher> roll 1d100 to grade Nitori?
<Hatbot> ACTION --> "Ko-NitoriisSulpher rolls 1d100 to grade Nitori? and gets 100." [1d100=100]

Xeroma

• SARDINES.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Vampire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2011, 06:01:49 AM »
Warning giant post ahead.

2010 was a pretty big year for gaming for me, in a lot of genres. Whether it was 360, Wii, DS, PSP, or PC I played some incredibly good games pretty much all year. With that out of the way, let's jump right into it. I'm gonna categorize these posts by console.

X-BOX 360

Bayonetta: Started the year with a really good game right here, Bayonetta's one of the best action games on the market. It has its problems, mind you. Quick-time Events lead to cheap deaths at parts and serve no purpose in the game really, the weapon balance is kinda bad, and the game has some slowdown at parts due to the massive detailing that pushes the 360 really far tech-wise. But that's okay because the actual gameplay core is like this weird fusion of DMC1's style of combat with DMC3's pace and with a much larger focus on things like mid-air combat and wide open space brawls. It took me getting used to[and I didn't actually beat Normal mode until very recently, and am already up to halfway through Hard as I type this due to hitting a good stride with the game], but once you get a groove for how combat works and realizing it actually isn't as much about getting out specific moves as it looks at first, you find an extremely well made game. It's shameless, it's campy as all getout[prolly as much if not more than DMC3], and it was made with love. Give it a shot if you like fast paced action games.

Blazblue Continuum Shift: A much needed improvement over Calamity Trigger, this game fixed like everything that was wrong with that game. The game mechanics got a reboot in several areas to be a lot more sensical, the character balance was redone extensively[but still had kinks, woo bang/litchi], and even the 1P content was improved. Story mode doesn't require a million gameovers to get 100%'s now, the new Legion mode is a funny timewaster, the netplay features got juiced up with things like being able to go to training mode while waiting for a match... yeah. Very nice improvement, and the upcoming Continuum Shift 2 looks to be even better.

Super Street Fighter 4: Not much needs to be said, does it? SF4 with a big new gameplay system in two ultra combos per character, a lot more characters, and very needed balance improvements. Good stuff.

Brutal Legend: Haven't finished it yet, but it is pretty awesome. The gameplay is sorta weak compared to the stuff I've talked about before, but the writing is hilarious, the characters are memorable and funny, and the game has plenty of amusing references to heavy metal culture. Definitely worth a look at if you happen to be into that sort of thing[or if you're like me and can at least appreciate that and enjoy it all the same]. Also you can rock out on a magic guitar and melt faces, literally. What's not to love about that?

Deathsmiles: Haven't beaten as well, but a very well made shmup that's pretty different from the rest of the horizontal shmup genre in terms of design and how it handles its difficulty. Worth playing if you like shmups that involve lots of explosions and don't mind little girls in your games.

I also played a lot of XBLA and XBLIG games, but this post is already pretty long so I'll save those for another post.

WII

A pretty big surprise, this year had a lot of good games for the Wii. Including...

Tatsunoko vs Capcom: Not as freeform or as fast paced as other Vs games, it is still a pretty well made game with a neat cast, even if I didn't recognize a lot of the tatsunoko characters[though I did recognize Tekkaman Blade at least!]. Some creative stuff with how the chars worked too[doronjo in particular comes to mind, and Frank West]

No More Heroes 2: No More Heroes was an interesting but flawed and at times pretty annoying game that was worth playing mostly because of how bizarre it was[I mean one of your weapons is quite literally four beam sabers on a stick pretty much. You can decapitate goons in the 5s and 10s by homerun swinging it]. No More Heroes 2 removes a lot of the annoying flaws of the first game, the grind is more or less gone completely and the part time job minigames are actually kinda cute NES knockoffs as opposed to fillery nonsense like in 1. The action part was beefed up considerably, with much smarter enemies than NMH1 and a much nicer weapon system, and more boss fights as well[the best part of NMH1's gameplay right there], along with some fairly hilarious/epic moments and some amusing trollbits to the player[but trolling that you can laugh at/with, not rage at. The good kind]. The main issues the game has is the camera, which can really get in the way at parts, and that one FAQ bait bit in the final boss battle. Anyone who has played NMH2 knows what I'm talking about. ... but at the end of the day I still considered it a much better game than the first and definitely the game to play if you want a hardcore action title on the Wii. Great music too.

Silent Hill Shattered Memories: More or less see Alex, though I've only played this, Silent Hill 2, and part of Silent Hill 1. Very brooding and atmospheric game that, while unignorably flawed, is very much worth playing and really makes the wiimote work in the setting it's in. The psychological profiling aspect is really cool too.

Sengoku Basara Samurai Heroes[3]: Oh, this game. This game isn't smart or sophisticated. But it is so incredibly over the top and cheesy that I can't help but love it. The dialogue is up there with the DMCs for over the top cheesiness, the sheer style of the game is like a horribly self aware over the top shounen anime, and is just a blast to pick and play around with. So much insanity, so much color, and even has some decent challenge every once in a while[looking at YOU Nobunaga]. Not for everybody, especially in this group, but if you want an intensely over the top and silly game that is concerned with being fun over everything else, this is the game for you.

Metroid Other M: aaaaah this game. Having achieved infamy because of its really bad plot, one must wonder what the deal is with this game. I don't need to talk about the story, so I'll just say the game itself wasn't bad. Perfect? No, there were issues, but it does a decent enough job of trying to fuse old metroid gameplay with DMC-style action, coming across as like what Metroid Fusion would be like in 3D pretty much. Some of its gameplay concepts I think could be applied to later metroids[the emergency tank system and the missile recharge systems were a very classy way to get rid of sitting and grinding items from enemies when low on either in older metroids, for instance. And I liked the diffusion beam charge shot >_>], but it's a very YMMV game overall. Depends on how much you want to deal with terrible storytelling that the game forces you to sit through on your first playthrough.

Donkey Kong Country Returns: A wonderful game that I truly only had one gripe with, and that was the lack of an alternate control option. I didn't mind the shaking required to beat the game personally, but I know some other people do and I would have liked a bit more consideration for that. But what does this game do well? Everything else. The controls are tight and responsive even on the basic wiimote, the platforming physics changed for the better from the past DKCs and is significantly more tight and precise, the graphics are amazing, the music is amazing, the bosses are actually fun, the level design is some of the best I've ever seen in a platformer for balancing the concepts of fun and difficulty. Difficulty? Oh yes this game is hard. Not the hardest platformer I've ever played, but if you're used to the more usual Wii platformer affair this game will kick your ass. It is fair however, checkpoints are never placed badly and you get more than enough extra lives. The game even has an in-game FAQ system more or less if you die enough in levels, if you REALLY need help. If you like platformers, have a wii, and aren't completely repulsed by having to shake the controller to do some things, get this game.

Sonic Colors: Speaking of platformers, this is Sonic's redemption. Sonic 4 was pretty good and came a bit before it[some fans argue that it has wonky physics and isn't enough like old sonic, I say they're nuts and need to take off the rose-tinted goggles], but it wasn't quite up to "redeems franchise's wobbly existance for past several years" level, it was too short and had stupid special stages that were pretty much there to mock completionists. Colors? Colors is not a retread of old sonic, it's a legitimate franchise evolution that's been overdue for well over a decade. The level design is ace, the controls are tight, and the new game mechanic of Wisps feels like it fits right into Sonic's world of speed and platforming, while also helping to add quite a bit of variety to the level design. This game also packs extremely colorful[as the title implies] visuals and some excellent music, combined with a legitimately silly and cartoony plot that really makes you feel like Sonic never went serious at all. It even properly ends with a fight against Robotnik! First 3D sonic that's actually done all of this, and it's about time. If they stay in this direction for the series, then Sonic will have a bright future as a series.

Some games I have played but not enough to really make big comments on include New Goldeneye and Madworld, among a couple of others like Xenoblade[though I really wish I COULD talk about it in detail], and possibly even one or two I may have forgotten.

Next post will cover DS and PSP.

« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 07:27:43 AM by Xeroma »

<@SageAcrin> Where you realize that, when you think about everything that's said about this person...
<@SageAcrin> It adds up to one thing.
<+Ranmilia> MEGA MAN PLOT

Xeroma

• SARDINES.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Vampire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2011, 07:24:35 AM »
DS

2010 was a bit slower than the past couple of years for the DS, but still had plenty of good titles. Among them...

Super Robot Wars OG Saga - Endless Frontier EXCEED: 2010 started off with a bang for the DS, in the form of one of the best game sequals I've ever played. EF2 improves on literally every single problem with EF1 that you could come up with unless you really didn't like the sex jokes[those are still there]. Forced Evasion? You now can tell WHEN the opponent can do it AND how often they will do it if you drop your combo -AND- they added a new feature that lets you use forced evasion yourself at the cost of 50 F Gauge. Items too broken? Items are now in chests less often and while SP costs and SP totals are increased to about the same resource pool as in EF1, SP items don't heal any more than they used to. Bosses repeat themselves too much? Much better boss variety in EF2, both in who you fight and HOW they fight, or even the combinations of bosses in the same fight thereof. You stop gaining abilities after a point? EF2 is paced so that you're gaining abilities right up to the final dungeon. Graphics out of battle are ugly? Much improved this time, though still not as pretty as the in-battle graphics. Several changes of this style, combined with powering up various aspects of the game engine[like the awesome new support system, the addition of characters having two Overdrives instead of one, the much better PC balance compared to 1, etc] add up to an extremely enjoyable game that is depressingly not available in english. ._. Please, Atlus!

Super Robot Wars OG Saga - Lord of Elemental: And now for something more like what the title indicates, this is a remake of an old SNES game of the same name, the very first OG SRW! Very odd for the series in that it has no terrain stat and maps have slopes and stuff, facing matters a lot, mech stats go up with pilot level due to a weird stat that effects mechs, etc;. The remake adds some much needed polish to the original game, letting the neat aspects of that game shine through. Also the most indepth for pathsplits in SRW history, the individual routes change a lot of things, including PCs you get and a lot of the maps/endings.

Ace Attorney Investigations: Capcom delivered again with the Ace Attorney series, making a game that very much carries on the strong points of the rest of the series while evolving the actual gameplay to something that makes a bit more sense for the kind of game it is, making the whole investigation sequences much more enjoyable than in AA1-4. The characters are top notch as ever, with some of the new chars working really well with the old cast[<3 Kay, in particular]. Definitely reccomended for fans of the series, and very much looking forward to the sequal.

Dragon Quest IX: Dragon Quest, the JRPG series that sticks out now from the crowd in a strange role reversal due to a lot of JRPGs these days not actually following its mold much anymore. With some notable improvements to 8's gameplay engine and having the most innovations of any title in the series to date, DQ9 is a pleasant no-frills RPG. It's not super challenging, it's not super original, but it doesn't really need to be. The game packs quite a bit of charm with its quirky localization and in-depth character customization, and even has lots of game you can do after beating the 40 hour main quest if you really get into it. And if you don't get super into it? It's still just 40 hours, much MUCH more succinct than the past couple of games in the series in a welcome change.

Pokemon Black Version[generation 5]: After Gen 4 disappointed some fans of the series for taking some steps back in terms of core design and technical polish, this game feels a lot like an apology and an evolution of the franchise while at the same time still being very much a Pokemon game. Some pretty extreme changes are found here and there, like for instance the fact that TMs are now infinite usage instead of one time only, giving you waaaay more customization options to do with your pokemon. THere's also some fairly radical changes in the basics of the series that the game presents, and part of the fun for an older player is seeing just how much it fucks with your expectations of what a pokemon game does. Anyone who has liked a pokemon game in the past owes it to themselves to give the game a shot. Also you Gen 4 folks put off by the speed of the game being slower than in Gen 3 can rest easy, they sped the game up pretty considerably.

Kingdom Hearts Recoded: Played near the end of 2010. Not really a lot to say, if you like KH for the gameplay and want a flashy/simple ARPG it's worth a look at, if you're looking for story look somewhere else. Spinoff games can do a lot worse than this, and IMO it's better than 358/2 Days was. BBS is better if you're looking for a KH to play though.

Super Robot Wars L: Lots of portables for SRW this year. This game was clearly done on a low budget[lots of recycled animations and series...], but it has some really cool gameplay ideas and irons out a bunch of the issues SRW K had. Good fun.

PSP

Prinny 2 - Operation Panties, dood!: This game. This game this game this game this game is stupidly fun and hates you but it's fun anyways. It's not unfair, it's just brutally difficulty. It's well polished, but uses its polish as a method to help accentuate the difficulty. It's got very quirky humor[as should be expected of an N1 game, but I'd say Prinny 2 goes beyond the usual affair]. The graphics are quite pretty for a 2D platformer on a handheld, the music is really good. The extra content is handled surprisingly well. But this game. Is hard as hell. Not for bitches. Though it does have a Baby Mode.

[also any N1 fan needs to Asagi Wars, that's the single most absurd thing I've ever seen in an N1 game...]

Gundam Assault Survive: A disappointment, plain and simple. What I wanted was an evolution of Gundam Battle Universe[a japanese only but otherwise excellent mecha game for the PSP], but instead I got something that was one step forward three steps back and in some of the worst ways possible. Did I REALLY need the game to become extremely grind happy when GBU wasn't really? :/

Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep: A pretty decent but not flawless KH that attempts to address the common complaints with KH2[that being the over reliance on button mashing and particularly that Reaction Commands were overused] and for the most part succeeds. Gone largely are the KH2 gimmick bosses, and mashing the basic attack button is the fastest way to die in the later parts of the game to boot[especially on the bosses]. It has moments of less-than-good design[escort missions, one per character story for instance], but aside from that is a very worthy game in the series worth taking a look at if you like ARPGs.

God of War Ghost of Sparta: Yeah I play GoW sometimes. This game was... alright. Just... alright. There were good elements[it is sorta satisfying to wreak havoc on crowds of enemies, and the puzzles and platforming are never too complicated.], but it suffers from the usual GoW issues. The enemy design isn't much, and actually gets pretty annoying late when half the enemies you fight have superfast unblockable attacks in a game where evading attacks isn't as good as in DMCs or NGs, and the boss design tends to be kinda dull. The plot is lol but I'm pretty sure you expect that from GoW already.

Tactics Ogre remake: You like FFT? Give this game a shot. It resembles FFT in a lot of ways, but is distinctly different enough to stand on its own. Packing some serious polish improvements over Square's other SRPGs[including recent ones] and some interesting gameplay systems, combined with good and varied map design make this one of the biggest surprises in gaming last year for me. I had no idea what to expect, but have been consistantly pleased by what I've played of it. Comes out next month!

The 3rd Birthday AKA Parasite Eve 3: An amazing game with some of the best action Square's put in an ARPG, very good looking graphics, and a very fitting and well made musical score punctuate a fine end of the 2010 gaming year for the PSP. The only problem is... the story. The story is the worst I've seen in an SE game since Chrono Cross, and I am not exaggerating. Some people in #rpgdl already know the score here as I have ranted about it, so I'll just keep it simple, don't play this game for story and do not expect the game to have as much to do with PE1/2 as you would like, if you're a fan of the previous games. In spite of that, every other aspect of the game is great and its high replayability lends itself well to that kind of flaw since you can sceneskip everything on replays >_>

So yeah, 2010 ended up a pretty good year overall. I almost definitely missed a few games here and there, but eh it's late >_>;
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 07:33:10 AM by Xeroma »

<@SageAcrin> Where you realize that, when you think about everything that's said about this person...
<@SageAcrin> It adds up to one thing.
<+Ranmilia> MEGA MAN PLOT

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2011, 09:31:17 AM »
And now to do research to see what I even played last year.  Only things I finished, in playing order.

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic- Largely carryover from 2009, I did up to Tatooine or so in one burst, then finished the game in another.  It lends itself to that.  I'm not convinced I'd like this game if it wasn't Star Wars; the Bastilla romance would lose a lot if it wasn't ripping lines straight from Han Solo, Jolee is much, much more fun because his entire story is a dig at Attack of the Clones, and in general the world put some clear thought into how little technology advanced over the years in the setting, which works pretty well for it.  Granted, argument can be made that KH-47 justifies the game by himself.  (Disclaimer: I'm fairly certain, though, that KotOR has a pretty weak character building system, because they actually simplified both D&D2 and Star Wars pen and paper when making it from what I can tell.)

Fire Emblem: The Sword of Seals- Is Fire Emblem.  The polish jump from 6 to 7 was huge, and I'm not sure I'd have finished the game without save states, but with it was pretty fun.  I think I'd call it the second best story in the series, which is kinda sad but anyway.  The gaiden chapters were dumb, but fortunately C23 which they unlock is like the best map in the game.

Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth- Decent gameplay?  In a PW game?  HOW CAN THIS BE?!!?!  Yeah.  My taste in adventure game gameplay is skewed because I played a lot of games by the same people, but the early games are just not well designed, with logical leaps that amount to trial and error while giving you limited room to maneuver by making it possible to lose.  Edgeworth meanwhile is not an idiot and in general you figure things out at the speed the game moves, rather than three moves before the game.  And it's completely up to par at writing!  Definitely the best game in the series.

Wizard of Oz: Beyond the Yellow Brick Road- another 2009 carryover.  Everyone else played this in 2010, and it's well covered.  I think I even wrote a full review for the wiki.  Moving on.

Pokémon Heart Gold- And then the two months of playing Pokeymans started.  Remake that turned a game I consider horribly boring into like the second best game in the series (Emerald is still better).  The aftergame is great, the boss tweaks were badly needed, I didn't really use Gen 2 stuff until really late but Gen 4 mechanics still suit the region, and really if not for the stupidly long midgame of "and now more rocket grunts 15 levels below your starter" the game might have beaten out Emerald.  Pity.

Sam and Max: Beyond Space and Time- I find it hard to talk about Sam and Max, because their awesomeness is really in absurdity and cleverness that I don't convey well, so moving on.

Phoenix Wright: Trials and Tribulations- Very complex plot means the gameplay suffers accordingly under the misapplication of logic, but also means you have the most satisfying villain defeat in the series.  Wraps things up quite nicely.

Phoenix Wright: Justice for All- Game has one thing going for it; Franzy!  She's fun.  Moving along.  (yeah, I played the series all out of order.  Took time ot get my games back from those glitbiters.)

Atelier Iris 2: The Azoth of Destiny- It's cute and fluffy.  More than any other Gust game, I felt kinda bored with the gameplay here, but it wasn't without its merits, and for some reason I really liked the Viese segments.

Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World- ALSO a 2009 carryover.  The last... well, no, there's another game I haven' finished.  Anyway.  This I really liked.  The short version is that Emile and Marta are not only a cute couple but develop in a way that's actually well thought out and goes through some believable and necessary maturation.  Battle system feels like a natural extension of ideas in TotA, although wii controls are used for some dumb gimmicks (thankfully not regularly) and feel too loose to me.  Could be because I never use the nunchuck though.

Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep- Play, minions.  More seriously, there's only 6 2010 games on my list here and the only one really worth mentioning in teh same breath is Edgeworth, which is a very different game anyway.  It takes bits and pieces of everything good about previous games in the series and makes them work, and while it has to big flaws (the stupid, stupid thing with unlocking the the final chapter and widespread choppiness in the story) holding it back from outdoing the original, it's still completely awesome.

Disgaea Infinite- I... don't know exactly how to judge the game.  Like, in terms of how to quantify visual novel gameplay.  The core puzzle is convoluted to the point of FAQ bait, and the game really needed a way to jump ahead to specific timeline splits, but on the plus side messing up Mind Control sequences lead to marvelous manatee-gag sequences and some great OOC moments, which is the game's main draw in general.  Game's more interesting once you get past the initial puzzle, since most decisions lead ot different endings in the second half so you see real change more readily, at least.

Lufia: Curse of the Sinistrals- So after the awesome of BbS, I still wanted something actiony and light and Lufia delivered.  It's a solid remake too, albeit flawed, there's some serious slowdown at points.

God of War: Chains of Olympus- bland.  The first stage has style, but the bosses aren't terribly good (and outright stupid for the basilisk), the Temple of Helios goes on so long I'm tempted to say filler, and Tartarus was just okay until finally you get to Persephone.  She helps the game end strong, but still.

Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure [DS]- It's Rhapsody, except with less baffling gameplay flaws.  Still flawed, but enough fixes that it's easier to enjoy the game for being a quirky fufu little thing like it's meant to be.

Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings- Played this off and on through the year.  It's pretty fun, if a little overly simple, up until the last two chapters where enemies gain levels a little quicker than you can handle (while, being the endgame, sidequest missions are actually harder than story missions, rather than ranging from easier to on par).  Otherwise, it feels like what FFTA wanted to be as a story, just a lighthearted adventurous romp exploring Ivalice, and it's pretty well thought out from what I can tell.

I played significant segments of DQIX, VC1, and got a start on Atelier Rorona and Sonic Colors, but I don't foresee finishing any of them in the next couple weeks while this is relevant, so maybe next year.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2011, 10:01:46 PM »
Now for something completely...follow upingness...

Meeple's Review Part 2!

Pokemon Soul Silver: Not much to be said other than damned good remake of a game that really needed one. One of the best games in the series...honestly, Elfboy's review summed up most of the stuff well enough, so just check his topic on it.

Phoenix Wright Trilogy:  I consider them all one game cause they really are quite similar, to get the full enjoyment of the series, you need to play all 3 games and probably in order, as the later ones really feed off the earlier.  That said, the worst gameplay I've seen in a series that I consider actually fun and good!  I'm not sure how that works, but PW games are just so zainy and full of good writing (at least, on the humor side; serious side...meh), with enough style to keep you wanting more, the gameplay somehow managed to be secondary.  Just another example of Capcom being awesome.

Viewtiful Joe Red Hot Rumble: Brawl spliced with Viewtiful Joe, including some DMC tie-ins!  The game isn't anything special, but its a fun little romp that I got for $5, so all in good fun.   And again, its got one of the best stories in a game for god knows how long mostly cause it is something COMPLETELY DIFFERENT, being just about "They're filming movies, this is what the actors are going through!"  and is just silly with its self awareness and such.  Well, they did make a last minute crisis with one of the actors having a crisis and turning into a super robot and...wait, why am I analyzing V. Joe Fighting Game Plot?

Ultimate Ghouls and Ghosts: So after watching the LP of the other games, I happened to stumble across this game used, and its rare and cheap, so I said why not?  For a game series that went into hybernation for so long, it certainly doesn't feel that way, cause the improvements make the game feel modern and really enjoyable, as its a huge step up from Super GnG.  By which I mean you wouldn't realize these two games were consecutive titles in the series based off gameplay, you'd think there were like 5 games in between.  Anyway, the game shows that even with a whole bunch of modern conveniences you take for granted, the series would still be ball bustingly hard.  As the series that is basically the original Dante Must Die mode, this installment does it justice and is a nice addition and revival to this classic series.

Unlimited Saga: I'll be blunt; this is one of the worst games I have played.  Ignoring all the confusing mechanics, lack of polish, and all that nonsense you expect from a SaGa game, all done worse than usual I might add, this game had a COMPLETE LACK OF FUN when I played it, and a good deal of frustration.  I seriously found absolutely no enjoyment in this game whatsoever.  I heard someone argue it was an attempt to capture on old Table Top RPGs style...yeah, bullshit.  Just cause the Map style gives that impression does not mean it was; the game was just SaGa Bullshit taken to a new level of fail.  It sounds like RS:MS is an apology for this.

Scott Pilgrim vs. the World: Didn't play a lot of this (Mostly got this and Mandy played it), but what I did, cute little beat 'em up which is a nice throw back to older games.    Not much else to say.  I think I had more fun watching it than playing it though, based on DLC and Minimeet.

Castle Crashers: I can't imagine this game being half as much fun as it was with 4 players, but I played it like that, so whatever.  Fun stuff with political nonsense and lots of game trolling you!  Also, OK's character for Godlike!

Ninja Gaiden Black: After Darksiders and God of War 2, my faith in action games not made by Capcom or things spawned by Capcom (eg Platinum Games) was decreasing a lot.  The modern NG games were the last thing that typically got compared to DMC games in a positive manner, so I figured I'd give them a shot.  The end result?  It proved there is some hope for the genre outside of what I described!  The game has issues, most notably some annoying platforming and boss fights are poorly handled, but its made up for by excellent handling of Mook Combat, which is most of the gameplay.  

It basically highlighted why DMC style action games are good compared to GoW style.  DMC is a very technical action game, in that it has a lot of options, and you learn how and when to use them, including doing things like making use of the battlefield.  Bayonetta and NGB both highlight this well, in different manners, and the 3 game (series) feel distinguished.  GoW style is just a button masher.  Yeah, you're fighting lots of enemies and its flashy...but you get this sense of "You're overpowered" and just rip things apart without trying.  When swarmed in a technical action game by mobs, things actually get harder significantly, and you suddenly go "Shit, what's good for taking out large groups, or isolating enemies one by one to avoid being swarmed?" and look at your options.  In a Button Masher?  You often have an obvious AoE move that just smacks all enemies around, and usually you only get swarmed by the weakest of the mooks.

Chocobo's Mysterious Dungeon: A cute little Rogue Like that's...adorable.  Also has one of the best Silent Protagonists ever cause, like Okami, the character in question is actually a genuine mute, and can't speak, rather than just having "implied dialog."  Fun with FF references and all that, though I would have liked them to NOT swarm the game with FF5 music.  I don't have anything against FF5 music but feels like they went out of their way to use it in this game, even in scenes that so many other songs from other games with less music would have fit.  FF9 also got over-represented in this regard, but it actually felt appropriate given the game's theme (Memories), and FF9's musical style was already built well around a game with aesthetics like Chocobo (and the music was better used too.)

Darkstalkers 3: *some subtitle involving a tower here*: After SFA3 was disappointing on the PSP, with unresponsive controls and all that, I was told DS3 would translate atrociously.  Still, I found the game cheap and figured why not?  I haven't played the original DS3, but the controls here seemed spot on and worked really well.  True, some nuisances like there's no R2 so I have to assign either Fierce Punch or Kick to Left Shoulder button, which is kind of annoying, but you get use to that.  Anyway, its nice to finally play a Darkstalkers game and see how the games were and varied from SF series and...really, it makes me want a DS4, cause the series has potential, just not the popularity, and seems to be the series that introduced a lot of fighting game mechanics that people take for granted, without realizing it.

Final Fight 3: The only Final Fight game I have never played, and found it on Virtual Console, so I figured why not?  Finally having a chance to play this, its nice to see them doing new things with the game to keep it interesting.  Bringing back Guy was a smart move, and of course how can one argue with another game involving MIKE FUCKING HAGGAR?  It also has 2 generic nobodies from the 90s, but whatever.  The option for "AI Controlled 2nd Player" is a nice touch, even if the AI partner is pretty bad, it means that playing without a friend isn't as disadvantageous as playing it normally is in these kinds of games (modern games like Scott Pilgrim and Castle Crashers would scale the enemies based on multiple players, from what I can tell, such that you usually fight more enemies multiplayer)

Final Fantasy Tactics Advanced 2:  You know, it says something about how bad a game's plot is that when its sequel comes along, STRIPS OUT THE PLOT ENTIRELY, replacing it with practically nothing, and is better because of it.  FFTA2 is exactly that compared to FFTA.  Combine this with gameplay improvements relative to the first game across the board, and the existence of HEAD EDITOR, and you have yourself a decent SRPG for the DS.  Nowhere near FFT level's of greatness, but its still a solid game in its own right.

...I wanna say there are other games I played, but I'm struggling to recall.  I'll edit them into this post as I remember them.  However, might as well say some last thoughts:

Best New Game of the Year (as in, game released in 2010): Bayonetta.  Really no contest; not to say there weren't other strong new games, but Bayonetta was just about everything I wanted in an action game, and exceeded my expectations, which were already pretty high.  Damned good way to start the new year, really.

Best Game of the Year (as in, games not made in 2010 now count): I was thinking "Bayonetta" immediately again...but then I remembered Okami was played this year too, and suddenly it makes me reconsider.  Both are fantastic games though, which are rather different.

Worst New Game of Year: Darksiders, mostly cause I didn't play many bad 2010 games.  This game just failed to impress me despite having what sounded like qualities to make a cool game.  Glad I didn't pay full price for this.

Worst Game of the Year: UNLIMITED SAGA.  There's absolutely no contest here whatsoever.  One of the worst games I've ever played...period.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 10:22:36 PM by Meeplelard »

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2011, 08:06:06 AM »
Pretty much just going to go by what I added in RPG Ratings in 2010 since there's no other way I'll remember everything I played.  Though I had to go by memory for non-RPGs and unfinished stuff so probably forgot some of those.

Sands of Destruction (6/10) - Sands of Destruction is a very strange game.  The premises of both the plot and gameplay are interesting in theory, but implemented pretty poorly.  Of course the plot doesn't bother me much but the gameplay did.  The system revolves around BP (battle points) where each action takes 1 BP and you can gain more BP by fulfilling certain conditions (critical, knock down/stun/launch enemy, and every 10 hits) up to 6 and you can start from 1-3.  First off, the way to manipulate the starting BP is kind of stupid.  You equip accessories and over time the BP count increases or decreases depending on the character's likeness to the accessory.  This pretty much limits what accessories you use, though it does encourage diversity in them since different characters like different accessories.  Second, the most effective way to get more BP is to just chain flurries together for over 10 hits per BP used, which pretty much makes the other two methods obsolete (and detrimental, but more on that later).

One other problem with the battle system is that if you ever get up to 6 BP, you're FORCED to use a finisher of some sort, either the character's super attack, super blood skill, or super life skill.  The first two tend to be weaker than flurry chains ANYWAY so they're useless but the super life skills tend to be good.  But if they had designed it non-retardedly it would let you use your other BP instead of encouraging a 1 starting BP no-critical chain to get the most damage, which is unintuitive as hell.

The skill customization system was okay, but like the rest of the game was poorly handled, though partly not a fault of its own.  Every battle gives CP that can be spent to boost skills.  Each skill has a cap on number of times it can be boosted (which raises every 10 levels) and 2 choices of what to boost (outside of super attacks which only have 1).  The boosts tend to be fairly weak in power, but upgrading enough times gives a choice of a special bonus.  In the case of flurries you can "Fortify" which lets you chain them together, essentially allowing the character to use all 3 flurries with 1 BP.  Flurries were already the best attacks to begin with, so this makes nearly every other skill in the game obsolete, barring healing and buffs.

Then there's stats.  Most of the stats are extremely effective (ATK/DEF/SPD most notably) which is arguably a good thing but then the game goes and gives effectively quadratic stat growth compared to level which makes level the single most important thing in the game.  A few levels can mean the difference between a nearly impossible fight to a steamroll fight.  The balance just isn't there at all.

And then there's the fact that PC balance doesn't exist.  Taupy completely breaks the game and then Rhi'a and Kyrie are obviously the two next best characters and then the others are notably worse.

But even with all the flaws, it's not a TERRIBLE game.  I even enjoyed it!  It's just really disappointing how much they botched something that could've been so much better.

Glory of Heracles (7/10) - Now here's a game I don't feel so bad about enjoying.  While it's nothing amazing, it's pretty fun fluff.

The plot cliches:
1) Silent, amnesiac main, but he's frickin' HERACLES so who cares.
2) Journey to find out his identity, but he's frickin' HERACLES so who cares.
3) Some thief girl who dresses like a boy, but she's with frickin' HERACLES so who cares.
4) Long haired bishie shows up, but he's with frickin' HERACLES so who cares.
5) Then there's some people named after Greek gods and shit, but they're ACTUALLY Greek gods and shit so who cares.

There's probably more I dunno I wasn't paying much attention.

The gameplay is mostly classic RPG, but with a few twists.

First, when using spells and skills there are little stylus minigames that you can do to boost power.  But the game gives you the option to just "auto" them and you'll get about half the boost you would if you had perfected the minigame.  The game's easy enough that you can just auto on the randoms and maybe even bosses.  Though the bosses can get pretty rough sometimes so maybe not.

Second, there's "ether".  In addition to costing MP to cast spells, you also need the correct elemental ether, which is global to allies AND enemies.  For example, the best elemental spells require 666 of the element and 111 of the other 3 elements, while increasing the light element some (I think 200 or something).  If you case a spell and there's not enough ether, you'll still cast the spell, but you'll take backlash damage.  On weak spells this is only equal to the amount of ether that you lack, but on stronger spells that can increase to like 20, which is pretty killer.  But since enemies also require ether, you can abuse this some by using up the ether before they act and they'll eat lots of backlash damage.  The ether refills a small amount every turn, so it's essentially infinite, but not limitted.  The ether counts also carry over from battle to battle so you can't just spam fire spells through the whole dungeon or anything.

There's also a very large number of skills the characters get.  Each character innately gets their own action skill list, some passives, and some magic.  The passives and magic generally aren't unique but they aren't universal either (at least not innately).  On top of that, equipment will also give skills as long as it's equipped.  Overall, the skillsets characters get make them pretty varied in battle, but not overly specialized.

One thing I really did not like about the game was the crafting system.  Considering I'm normally a fan of item creation systems, GoH handles it poorly.  When you get to a new town there's a place where you can combine items to get a new one.  However about 90% of the time you won't have enough for ANYTHING they have there, which makes it pretty pointless.  The game's also very stingy on cash so you're likely to just sell off items you don't need to buy new ones... and then a couple of towns later you'll need those items you sold off to craft stuff.  On top of that there's an inventory limit so you'll have to sell or drop stuff anyway.  It's probably better to just ignore the whole crafting system entirely.

Likes Sands of Destruction, GoH also has quadratic stat growth, but the stats aren't nearly as effective (though still effective), so it's not a big deal.  It does throw overlevelled PCs at you at times (on purpose, since it's your average level + x) but you generally catch up... except the time it does that right at the final dungeon.  Kind of annoying balance-wise but not really a huge deal.

One nice thing is that the game is really good about skill documentation.  For example, there's a skill called Berserk which lowers your defense and increases your offense for a few turns (and removes control of the character).  Specifically what it does is lowers your defense to 0 and adds it to your offense, and the game actually tells you this!  IIRC it's not in the skill description itself but in the encyclopedia thing somewhere but still.  It's kind of a big deal since the game does have a lot of varying effects on its skills.

Though the game does have poor documentation on equipment.  For example, one of the characters has a unique armor with hidden resists on it.  Which might make it the best armor to use.  There's also some cases of hidden speed boosts or losses on equipment which will actually increase or decrease the character's speed tier (higher tiers always go before lower tiers and tiebreaks in tiers are determined by AGI).  Not as important as skill documentation in my opinion but still.

Overall it is a fun fluff game.  I do recommend people play it.  Just don't expect anything amazing and it's pretty enjoyable.

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 FES (The Answer) (4/10) - It's no secret that I dislike Persona 3 but I picked this up because I didn't have a hard copy of the game and it was cheap and had new stuff.  Decided I'd give it a shot.  It still sucked.  I think I liked The Answer more because it felt less tedious because it was much shorter.  Or maybe because Aigis > Minato as a main character.  Or maybe because it didn't have the annoying S.Link stuff.  I dunno.  I don't really care either.

Last Rebellion (5/10) - I'll say it now: Last Rebellion gets more hate than it deserves.  It's still not a good game.

Basically the gimmick is that the main PC is actually two people in the same body.  Except the body actually changes appearance to who is in control.  Which makes no sense but hey RPG plot just roll with it.  There's some other stuff too but I mostly forgot it because it wasn't anything new.

The gameplay was original.  Like I said before you have two PCs in one body.  They can both act each turn, but the PC who acted last is the one that stays out.  Since they act at the same time you can essentially force the same PC to be out all the time to soak up hits and stuff.  Which is usually Nine (the guy) since he's more durable (physically at least, but magic is more rare).  The PCs don't really differ much anyway.  They both pretty much have the same skillset except for one skill.  When the enemies are dead (or not, but they usually fail if not), Nine can absorb their MP and Aisha can absorb their HP (or were they flippsed I don't remember).  Nine's skill has a chance of reviving them, while Aisha's will kill them permanently (so you can end the battle).  Other than their stats (which are hidden.... and don't mean a lot anyway) that's their only difference.

One big gimmick though is the stamp system.  Enemies have multiple parts (sometimes up to 14 or so!) and physical attacks will stamp those parts.  Casting a magic attack after stamping will hit ALL parts that are stamped, with no increase in MP cost and no decrease in damage.  Sounds cool right?  Too bad that you can just spam physicals to do more damage anyway so it's not really all that effective.  Too bad.

The other big gimmick is the combo system.  Like I said before, enemies have multiple parts.  If you attack the parts in a specific order your damage will increase (up to 5x), but the order is initially hidden.  Once you hit a part in the right position in your chain, it will be revealed.  So essentially it's a numbers game to figure out the right order as quickly as possible.  I thought this was an okay idea, but nothing amazing.  Incidentally once you figure out the order your 5x damage physicals will just outdo magic damage all day, so it's horribly balanced anyway.

The game is only about 15 hours long or so and the length is one thing it does right.  The gameplay just doesn't lend well to a lengthy game.

But there are two awesome parts of the game.  First, ultimate superboss Prinny.  Second, CATBOX superboss.

White Knight Chronicles (4/10) - Ugh, this game.

Plot: You are some random dude.  A princess gets kidnapped.  You go save princess.  Oh and you get a sweet mech too.  Then 30 hours of shit happens.  Suddenly cliffhanger.  The end.

Also UOM powar.

Battle: Take FF12.  Now remove gambits and /make it slower/.  There didn't need to be 5+ second downtimes in between actions.  Seriously.  There's like a combo system or something but I didn't bother much with it because magic doesn't combo well.  Also, while you can move around on the field and stuff it means nothing.  If an enemy is attacking you and you try to run away to evade the attack it's going to hit you anyway.  Also it's slow.  Really slow.

You can customize the characters somewhat though.  You get points when you level up that can be put into one of the eight weapon class trees to learn skills.  You actually get to choose what skills to learn in a tree, but some skills have requirements.  Not exactly original but interesting enough I guess.

The online quests are the best part of the game, but probably only if you do them with friends.  The battles don't seem as slow when you've actually got four people controlling characters and doing useful stuff instead of AI.  But whatever.  Doesn't save the game from sucking.

Have I mentioned it sucks?

It sucks.

Final Fantasy XIII (9/10) - Okay, I liked FFXIII.  I know people hate it but haters gonna hate, etc.

As usual, I didn't care about the plot.  In fact, it's kind of stupid.  You guys are slaves to some other being but oh wait you go against that and do your own shit.  Whatever.  It's like the whole defying destiny thing except you're defying slavery?

Characters are a mixed bag.  Lightning is an annoying prick.  Female Cloud except she only got the annoying prick part right.  Forgot the rest of the character there.  Sazh is frickin' Frocobo and awesome so I don't need to say anything there.  Snow gets a lot of hate but I kinda liked him.  The whole HERO HERO HERO stuff was kind of annoying but whatever.  Hope just fails at everything and is one of the worst characters ever.  Vanille didn't annoy me and I felt the party needed another non-emo person so she's okay.  Fang did stuff?

Battle system I really liked.  First off, this was the best implementation of ATB yet.  Though I never liked ATB much so whatever that says.  Instead of filling up a bar to get a turn, you fill up a multi-tiered bar (starting from 2 and up to 6) to get actions.  Each skill you have can take multiple bars, and you can queue them together, such as using Attack 3 times in a row, or Attack + Fira.  Normally waiting until the bar is full and pulling off a full chain is most efficient, but sometimes you may really need to get that healing off so you can use Cure as soon as you get 1 bar.  It adds more strategy compared to the basic ATB.

Second, there's the paradigm/class system.  Each character has 3 main classes they can choose from (eventually getting the other 3 later), but can only be in one at a time.  Each class has their own set of skills, passives, and extra bonuses.  For example, the Commando class gets a large bonus to damage (+100% at class level 1) and also grants a smaller bonus to damage to all allies (+15% at class level 1 IIRC) and specializes in dealing direct damage.  But you can change classes in battle at any time by doing a Paradigm Shift.  A Paradigm is just a setup of classes for the party members, and a Paradigm Shift switches between them.  If you're attacking you might be in a Commando/Ravager/Ravager Paradigm but if you get hit by a powerful attack you might go to a Sentinel/Medic/Medic Paradigm to get some healing.  Or you might want buffs or debuffs and switch to paradigms for those.

Third, the chain system.  Every attack in the game has a chain power which determines how much it increases the enemy's chain value.  This chain value starts at 100% and acts as a multiplier to damage as well as some other things such as status accuracy.  For example, a Commando's Attack command has a chain power of 0.5%, so it would increase the target's chain value by 0.5% (assuming no resistance of course).  A Ravager's Fire spell, on the other hand, has a chain power of 10%.  So while a team of three Commandos do more raw direct damage, they raise chain extremely slowly, so throwing in a Ravager to boost the chain will allow the Commandos to do more damage per hit.  In addition to the chain power, each skill has a chain timer stat which increases the amount on the chain timer.  If the chain timer hits 0, then the chain is reset to 0%, so you don't want that.  Commando's Attack has a large chain timer increase at 3 seconds, while the Ravager's Fire only increases it by 0.1 seconds.  So a party of three Ravagers would also be ineffective as the chain would reset too often.

In addition to that, each enemy has a stagger point.  Once the chain reaches the stagger point, the enemy enters stagger status.  This immediately increases the chain value by 100% and during stagger all attacks will interrupt the enemy, essentially making it impossible for them to attack unless you leave it alone.  In addition, the target's chain resistance is set to 0 for the time, which makes it possible to jack up the chain value quickly (up to 999%).  Stagger duration depends on the chain timer when the stagger point was hit, so it won't last forever.

The character customization system is a bit in the vein of FFX's sphere grid.  Each character has their own grids, one for each class, and you spend points in them to gain stats and skills.  These grids are pretty linear though.  I never really cared for the non-linear parts of FFX's sphere grid anyway, especially since there's an obvious path that takes the least amount of points due to it costing points to go backwards (FF13 doesn't do that part thank goodness).

Also Blinded By Light is amazing.

Overall, FF13 was definitely one of the best games I played in 2010.

NIER (8/10) - Ah, NIER.  One of the few games I actually bothered to replay twice immediately after finishing.  Well okay it was only half the game and it gave incentive to but still, I wouldn't bother with that most of the time these days.

Plot: Holy crap a plot I actually cared about.  You're this guy who has a sick daughter.  You're trying to find a cure.  But then halfway through she gets kidnapped so you have to go save her.  Also, you're fucking BADASS.

That aside, I felt the game really did a good job of portraying the main character as a loving father.  In fact, it did a good job with characters in general.  All of the main characters (outside of Emil) were actually pretty cool.  You get Nier the badass main character, Weiss GRIMOIRE Weiss the wiseass book, and Kaine the vulgur sidekick (who actually has some interesting backstory... though you don't get much of that until the second playthrough).  Oh and Emil's emo or something.  But most of the goodness comes from the way they interact together.  Generally while exploring whatever place the plot wants you to explore you'll get dialogue between the characters.  This is all in real time so it doesn't disrupt you from stabbing those enemies, which is the way it should be.  White Knight Chronicles did this too but Nier has a better cast so whatevs.

The game itself plays most like an ARPG with some danmaku mixed in.  You get to use swords, spears, and... some other weapon type I never used for melee attacks.  Each weapon type has a special move and a charge move.  In addition to that you get several types of magic attacks, which are what I used for the most part.  But both melee and magic are useful depending on the situation.  And even sometimes different spells are more effective.  Often times the enemies will rely on hitting you with projectiles, so you have to dodge those danmaku style to get in.  Or you can block but that forces you to stay in place and eventually you can get guard broken too (though it takes awhile).  It's actually pretty fun gameplay-wise.  And I don't say that often for ARPGs.

The customization is pretty simple.  You get "words" from enemies that you can attach to weapons, spells, and martial arts (though I never figured out exactly what that did...).  These can range from simple things like boosting damage or defense to adding status effects.  You can attach a word you've gain to any number of weapons, spells, or whatever.  It's not really a complex or exciting system but it was implemented well.

Then there's the music.  I'd have to say Nier is my favorite OST of all time right now.  Several of the songs are definitely in the tops and I'd say all of them are at least "good".  That's pretty impressive for only two discs worth of music.

Overall, this is definitely a game I'd recommend.  It's just an interesting ARPG in many ways, even though the ideas are fairly simple.  And it has a plot actually worth caring about and characters that don't fail.  Play it.

Trinity Universe (6/10) - My second IF game.  And not my favorite.

The plot:

Kanata is supposed to turn into the Demon God Gem to save the Netherverse from flying objects.  He refuses because being a rock sucks so he becomes the Demon Dog King and runs away with his vassal Tsubaki.  Then there are flying objects and Kanata and crew has to go inside to stop them from trainwrecking into the city (I'm pretty sure there was a train in there somewhere anyway).

Rizelea is a Valkyrie trying to figure out wtf is wrong with the Netherverse now.  She tries to figure out why stuff is trying to trainwreck into other stuff.  Since it's due to Kanata being doglike she tries to make him become gdlk.

Also crossover hijinks.

And awesome random game references.

And SRS FKN BSNS.

Yeah, the core plot's not that good but the dialogue is amusing because none of it is taken seriously at all.  In fact, this is one of those games I enjoyed the wordy bits more than the gameplay bits.  And not because the gameplay sucked (though it is mediocre).  And almost all of the characters are fun.  Even some of the NPCs (Macaroon's Happy Tutorial ftw).

The gameplay is similar to the Legaia series I suppose.  The characters have three attacks: square (rush), X (mighty blow), and triangle (magic).  Inputting these three attacks in certain combinations will do special attacks.  For example: XXXXX will do a special attack, as will XXXXXXXX.  The equipped weapon needs to allow the attack for it to work though.  While the inputs for these attacks are the same, the attacks are actually different.  Though they just differ in animation and damage/hit count so it's not a huge deal.  Characters also have unique input sequences for some other attacks.  Personally, I liked that most sequences were universal since it meant less memorization.  Which is important, due to what I'm going to mention next.

Each attack takes AP, which you gain each turn and can be stored up to triple the base amount (which is recommended).  The number of AP depends on the attack type and the character (so some characters might need less AP to use magic attacks, for example).  Once the first attack is used, the AP will slowly drain over time as well, so you need to input the attacks quickly.  Generally this means you should mash the next attack button.  But if the attack is too quick you can't mash too much or you might input it twice instead of once and screw up your sequence horribly.  It's not TOO hard to avoid but it's also too easy to actually do and really adds nothing to the game.  It also means that unless you're really good at memorizing you better have your combos written out and follow them while you're attacking.  Every turn.  For the whole game.  Yeah, the system is okay in theory but being in real time and forcing you to input it every time was just annoying.

What I did like about the game was the link system.  On a character's turn, they can end their turn by linking to the next character's turn.  Doing this can get you some bonuses to stats and it also carries over the hit count which increases damage (...I think) and SP gain rate for special attacks (which is actually pretty important).  There's actually no downside to linking so it should be done every turn possible, even on those where you're not attacking so you can store up AP.  I'm not entirely sure how good the stat boosts are but sometimes you can get healing or boosts to SP as well.

The SP special attacks are actually quite useful in this game (unlike Cross Edge).  Since they only cost SP and no AP, they're essentially free damage.  The damage isn't all that great (though definitely notable), but they tend to add a lot to the hit count, which increases your combo, which allows you to get more damage and SP.  It's actually possible to fire off a special to start the combo, do your combo, and then get another special before you're done.

Customization takes the form of meteorites in this game.  They don't show up until the end of Kanata's path but are early in Rizelea's.  Each character has three rings that meteorites can be placed on.  The meteorites themselves generally give a boost to stats, though some have other effects such as regen or elemental/status resistance.  But their effectiveness depends on which ring they're put on.  Putting a HP boosting meteorite on the inner ring might boost it by 2000, while putting it on the outer ring only gives 1000.  So you have to choose which boosts you want the most.  In addition, meteorites have colors and putting a specific set of colors on a ring gives another bonus (which doesn't depend on the ring).  For example, four meteorites of the same color gives a bonus depending on the color, and there are some combinations that require mixed colors.  The combinations are all documented in-game so you don't have to figure them out yourself, fortunately.

One thing to note about the gameplay is that it's all dungeon crawling.  I know this doesn't appeal to many, but I feel it is good at trimming all the excess exploring that RPGs like to use to bloat their play time.

Overall, I somewhat enjoyed the game (enough to play both sides and the aftergame but I cheesed the hell out of it), but I wouldn't really recommend it for gameplay.  I did quite enjoy the dialogue so I'd say it's worth it for that if you like wacky fourth wall breaking humor, but then again, that's not for everyone either.

Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale (6/10) - Another game I felt failed on its potential.  It's strange since the game is kind of similar to Gust's "traditional" Atelier games in style, but does so much differently.  For the worse, but I think I prefer it to an actual clone anyway.

The plot: Recette is lazy and then a fairy shows up and tells her her father has a huge debt and she has to pay it off.  Clearly the best item is to open an item store extort people for money while giving them cheap items so it's legal.

Yeah, nothing deep or complex but it doesn't try to be.  It's mostly a character driven game anyway, though can't say I was a big fan of the characters so it didn't do a whole lot for me.  Had its moments though.

The gameplay is split into two parts: dungeon crawling and selling items robbing people "legally".

Dungeon crawling is pretty basic ARPG fare.  You get to hire an adventurer and then control them fighting the enemies while Recette takes all the fat lutes.  Each adventurer plays differently in basic attacks, special attacks, and even movement.  Louie is average and boring with generic sword moves.  Charme is fast and can dash to be even faster.  Caillou is a slow mage with quick magic attacks that are BROKEN AS FUCK JESUS CHRIST WHAT.  Elan has a two hit combo and can also dash.  And finally Tielle is a ranged archer who can charge up arrows for more spread and damage.  Caillou is easily the best BROKEN OMG and Tielle is pretty fun too.  Whatever to the others.  But I do admit they did a good job with making the characters different.  The actual combat actually isn't engaging for the most part but the bosses can be fun.  The only problem is that there are no save points before them so if you lose you have to travel through five floors of random dungeons to get back.  Ugh.

Then there's the item selling ALL YO YENZ part to pay off the debt.  You line up some items on the counters (and later in a vending machine) and then open up the store.  A number of people will come in and buy or sell items.  There you set the price of the item (haggle) and the customer will either agree or disagree.  If they disagree you can try a different price (or the same one...).  Each customer has a different value they'll agree to and you have to figure it out on your own.  And then write it down probably.  Giving a price the customer accepts the first time will increase your combo and give you more EXP (exponentially increasing, so it's BIG).  However if the customer does not accept, the chain is reset.  There's also times where customers will ask for a type of item and if you don't have it that will break the chain.  Or if you have it and they don't have enough money for the price you tell them that will break the chain.  Or if that stupid troll comes in and tries to sell you something at 500% base price to rip you off and you don't accept it will break your chain.  All of this is incredibly annoying since the only way to increase your merchant level later on is to chain chain chain and there's so much stupid shit that will break it just to piss you off.  Or sometimes only like four people will come in so you can't even build a chain anyway.  Ugh.  I liked it outside of the retarded chain breaking bullshit but ugh ugh ugh.  Ugh.

Yeah, I'm not really a big fan of the game.  It tries to do some interesting things but ugh they implemented them pretty badly.  And don't even get me started on the shoddy coding.  Actually, I need to go into that.

Bug 1: The game splits your inventory into pages and remembers the cursor position for each page.  Convenient!  But if you remove all the items from a page (such as by putting the item up for selling), the cursors of later pages will be messed up because the game seems to remember them by page number and you just removed a page.

Bug 2: Teleporting enemies can teleport outside the walls and die.  SERIOUSLY.  You don't even get EXP for this.

Bug 3: The game displays the % of base price you are asing for when selling/buying items.  Pretty handy since that's what the customer cares about (rather than raw price).  Except the algorithm that calculates that is really horrible and is flat out wrong in some cases.  I'm not even talking about simple rounding errors.  I saw a 230% price (on the dot) show up as 227%.  Consistantly for that item.  Seriously.

Atelier Rorona: The Alchemist of Arland (8/10) - It's no secret I'm a fan of Atelier games.  While I tend to prefer the more gameplay oriented ones such as the Mana Khemia series, the traditional ones are still fun enough.

The plot: Rorona's master Astrid is super lazy so no one comes into the Atelier for stuff.  Jerks over in the castle want to demolish the Atelier so they can pollute the air put up some factories.  They give Astrid three years of assignments to prove that the Atelier should stay.  Astrid gives Rorona three years of assignments to prove that the Atelier should stay because she's lazy.

Also Astrid is master troll of epic proportions.

GUST PLOT

Like the other traditional Atelier games (such as Atelier Annie), the focus is more on crafting items to finish the assignments rather than battle gameplay.  The crafting is pretty simple: Put in items, get new item.  The items you put in determine the quality and traits of the item you get out.  Sometimes this is pretty important.  You can also do quests for the town for money (and trust rating).  You can do the same with characters which will raise their friendship level.

Battle system is also pretty simple, though more complex than Atelier Annie.  Characters get up to 4 skills: 2 active that cost HP, and 2 passive.  They can boost them with points gained from level ups.  Non-Rorona characters have assist gauges that can be used for offense when Rorona attacks of to defend Rorona when she's being targetted.  There are two elemental gauges that correspond to pairs of elements that raise when the element is used.  Skills that are gained from equipped weapons generally require the element to be above a certain point to be used.

And all of this doesn't matter because Rorona can just throw items and OHKO everything.

Time for bug list!  Because GUST CODING needs emphasis.

Bug 1: Evade bug.  For multi-target attacks, as soon as one character evades the attack will not affect the other characters.

Bug 2: FLYING RORONA.  Not sure how I got it but it was pretty hilarious.

Bug 3: Non-deteministic equip menus!  If you try and equip something and cancel, then hit up or down to move to the next spot in the screen, the cursor will move to a random one instead.  Also hitting L1 or R1 to go to a new character goes to a random character  Okay maybe it's not random but hell if I know what's going on there.

Bug 4: Enemy defense stats don't do anything.  Debuffs don't seem to do anything.

Bug 5: Game freezes often.  Most commonly if you move to town and then to the Atelier too fast.  Can also happen on the field after battle.

Bug 6: Sometimes a dummy item shows up in battle spoils.  I never got that one myself.

Bug 7: When boosting skills, the new level won't change unless you leave the screen and come back.

Bug 8: Max HP increases seem to carry over the increased current HP after battle.  Of course this resets the next time you go into battle.

Bug 9: If you pick up a green ? item on the field with your inventory full, the game will pick up the item but you won't get it.

There's probably more that I don't remember right now.

But seriously, the game's fun enough but really simple.  One of those fluff RPGs.  I probably give it a higher score than it deserves and may lower it down to 7 after thinking on it more but it's still fun.

Also Falling, The Star Light is one of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard.

Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth (8/10) - Yay Ace Attorney!  Like the other Ace Attorney games, I enjoyed it quite a bit, though I still did not like the investigation parts.  Logic made them more interesting than normal at least.  But as usual, the dialogue and "court" gameplay (though this time it's not in court but same idea) make up for it.  Overall a fun game.

VVVVVV (10/10) - I'm usually not a huge platforming fan, but there are some styles I tend to like.  VVVVVV was not really like them because it was actually original!  Instead of jumping, you flip gravity, moving from floor to ceiling to get past obstacles.  All the obstacles are set (if they move, it's in very predetermined patterns), which is one thing I definitely prefer in platformers.  It's also extremely hard, but very forgiving.  If you die you just respawn at the previous checkpoint, which is like once per room.  Another thing that more platformers need to do.

Yeah, play it.  Seriously.

Blazblue: Continuum Shift (6/10) - Eh, the game's fun enough, but I think it relies too much on combos (...like most fighting games).  Playing against people is always good though.

Super Street Fighter IV (6/10) - I wish I could play this more to get a better feel of it but no one plays online and 1P fighting games are like the most boring things ever.

Pokemon HeartGold (?/10) - Starting the unfinished stuff.  I like Pokemon and that's about all I have to say here.

Etrian Odyssey III: The Drowned City (?/10) - Almost done with this.  Is awesome just like the other EO games.  Subclassing was a cool addition and new classes shake things up a bit.  Probably my favorite of the three so far.

Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey (?/10) - Need to get back to this some time.  It's SMT meets EO and pretty solid at it so far.  Not exactly top priority to finish at the moment but still.

Spectral Souls (?/10) - Meu!!!  Decently fun SRPG, though of course lacks polish like all IF games.

Chaos Wars (?/10) - Meu!!!  Actually pretty fun as well, though has its own share of issues.  Best voice acting ever though.

And if you read all of this you have far too much time on your hands.  Go play some games!

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2011, 02:58:53 AM »
And then there's the fact that PC balance doesn't exist.  Taupy completely breaks the game and then Rhi'a and Kyrie are obviously the two next best characters and then the others are notably worse.

Don't want to derail the thread, but since this is a brief note - I agree entirely with your thoughts on Sands of Destruction.  And this comment is also pretty much correct, in a vacuum.  However I'd argue that Naja is also one of the best characters, pretty much solely on Cleansing Cry hype.  Since the damage formulas are clearly subtractive (100 ATK vs. 60 DEF means 40 damage), yet all the buffs are percentage based, buffs totally rule (double ATK = 200 - 60 = 140 damage = 3.5x the damage!!).  About the only enemies or bosses that can challenge you are ones that buff themselves up - say, I recall the baddies in Naja's own sidequest going from "nearly tinking" to "2HKO" on my guys, with that being really a two-action KO with 5 actions to use or something.  So ow ow pain pain pain.  Enemy defense buffs on competent enemies could also make my attacks tink.  Which is not to deny that, say, Taupy can just go kill them before they move with his own OHKO before they buff, but I found Naja a pretty handy safety valve (along with the usual SoD broken most of the cast has like a mass ATK-buff himself or MT healing/revival).

So in short it'd be something like Taupy > Kyrie > Rhi'a = Naja >>>>>> Morte > Agan.

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2011, 03:05:32 PM »
Why use that when you can just Taupy's Trump Card to get the damage boost AND huge defense and speed boosts?  And he will pretty much always go first so you can get it off faster.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2011, 01:46:53 AM »
Because I'd already equipped accessories that gave the buff at battle start.  Which is not to say that Taupy isn't blatantly the most broken, but eh.  Enemy buffs were basically the only thing I feared in the game.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2011, 08:21:47 AM »
Between Mass Effect 2, Alpha Protocol, Fallout: New Vegas, Civ 5 and Cataclysm, it's hard for me to say 2010 was anything but really awesome as far as video game releases go. Definitely a better year than what came out before.

Also, they're finally wrapping up the goddamn Word of Blake Jihad storyline in CBT, and we got TRO:3085 last year, which is rapidly becoming one of my favorite TROs.

Also Aaron Rodgers.

On the downside, 2010 had Brandon Roy's knees go to shit multiple times and the sadness that comes with, as well as FF13 being godawful.

DomaDragoon

• Lazy
  • Denizen
  • Boink.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2011, 05:12:32 AM »
2010 in gaming will be remembered by me as a good year for games, but a bad year for systems. As has been well-documented (in that I've actually mentioned it on the boards), the low-end gaming quality PC I got last year and only bothered to set up in December has gone completely kaput, and nothing that I've done so far has got it back to working status. In addition, my secondhand PS3 has taken to freezing every so often when I use it to access the internet (which is what I've been doing from computer break until today, when I finally had the Mac reconnected) or play games.

On the other hand, I finally got and hooked up a Wii meaning that I have all current consoles and handhelds, I managed to curb my spending on games by 1/3 (you really don't want to know the initial and final values), and there was a great selection of games to play.

I'm still going through my notes to decide the top 10 games of 2010 that I played in 2010 (thank you Backloggery, GameFAQs and vgreleases.com), and I'll be sure to write up on them (not to mention the top 10 of 2008 and 2009 I have kicking around somewhere), but for now here's some short talking about the top 10 games of years past that I played for the first time in 2010 (which I sadly don't have nearly as many notes on). (Yay parentheses!)

10. Wii Sports, Wii: Hey look, it's the pack-in game! Granted, I didn't play this much, but it was the first thing I popped into the Wii to test it out. Rather than use the small movements that I would do with a normal game, I went over the top and swung like I had a club or bat. And it was good.

9. Super Mario Galaxy, Wii: The waggle controls were a little iffy to me, but otherwise this was a good game. I stopped playing it for no good reason and really should get back to it someday.

8. Mega Man X Maverick Hunter, PSP: It's a slightly retooled MMX1 with playable Boba Fett and a movie in it. 'nuff said.

7. Left 4 Dead 2, X360: Mission-pack sequel? Not from where I'm looking. Melee weapons were my favorite addition, but pretty much everything they had was improved from L4D1... except the characters.

6. The Saboteur, X360: GTA: WW2. Got repetitious towards the end, but it's one of only two games on the list I can say with certainty that I 100% completed.

5. Batman: Arkham Asylum, X360: The first really big title I got into last year, I played the heck out of this for about a week and then never touched it again. But for that week it was pretty much all I played.

4. Punch-Out!!, Wii: Still haven't gotten around to beating TD. Used all the control schemes I could before sticking with the "on the side" classic Punch-Out style. A great 1-player title.

3. Borderlands, X360: This is a definite example of how much my tastes have changed in the past few years - back in the days of the RPGP, I probably wouldn't have looked twice at this title. Not because it was an FPS - I've been playing those since the days of BBSes and Doom Shareware - but because it looked a lot like a game based around multiplayer and I hate people. I'm glad I tried it - even if I never got off my butt and played with the DLers who have it.

2. Brawl, Wii: Do I really need to explain why this is a good game?

1. Team Fortress 2, PC: Yes, I've logged over 100 hours on the 360 version, but I still say this counts. Why? Because it's my list, darn it.

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2011, 05:29:22 AM »
Might as well.  Warning: Lengthy.

Tales of Symphonia [GC] (5/10): As I said when I ranted about the game, I like Tales gameplay.  That said, ToS does some very silly things there that can't really be said to enhance it which, along with general PC balance woes, make it a clearly flawed game, regardless of how enjoyable one finds the gameplay.  On the storytelling end, the vast majority of the characters are six shades of worthless, the plot is a goddamned mess, and that the main villain fails completely doesn't really need to be elaborated on here.

Sands of Destruction [DS] (4/10): Unlike ToS, I did not enjoy SoD's gameplay.  The game's specific flaws have already been pointed out by others, so I'll just say that there could have been an interesting system if the designers could've been bothered to care about balance, but they clearly didn't so all there is is a boring mess.  Plot's stupid but ignorable.

Glory of Heracles [DS] (6/10): Acceptable fluffy DQ-like.  It has gameplay quirks that makes it stand out and be generally entertaining and be fairly good at what it sets out to do.

Knights of the Old Republic [PC] (6.5/10): Objectively, I find myself struggling to defend this score.  Gameplay isn't terribly interesting (though perhaps better than some would give it credit), characters, with a couple exceptions, range from forgettable (the wookie) to dear god shut up forever (Bastila), and some of the alignment-affecting choices are... laughably bad.  It's not all drab, though, Jolee and HK-47 are genuinely amusing and some of the sequences are fairly entertaining.

Knights of the Old Republic 2 [PC] (8/10): In terms of gameplay, there's not a lot of change.  Where KotOR 2 earns its points, though, is in its characters and dialogue, and if sizeable portions of the game's content weren't mercilessly butchered to meet an unreasonable release deadline, it could easily score higher.  While I won't say it's the best cast ever featured in a game, it's certainly up there.

Super Robot Wars OG Saga Endless Frontier EXCEED [DS] (8/10): And now on the other side of the coin, something that earns its points solely through gameplay.  The first Endless Frontier game was already pretty solid, but the sequel improves it by not only letting the player know when enemies can use the much-reviled Forced Evasion mechanic, but also allowing the player to drain the meter that allows enemies to do this through the use of spirit commands.  There are also other improvements, such as making multi-target attacks actually worth something instead of being a flashy way of wasting a turn and rewarding the player for racking up massive amounts of hits through tying it to bonus experience and recovering SP after battle.  It is still something of a sugar rush, but it's still a damn entertaining ride.  Just keep in mind that somehow the fanservice got worse.  Somehow.

Lufia: Curse of the Sinistrals [DS] (6.5/10): The original Lufia 2 is a game that I have a fairly large amount of nostalgia for, and while the rose-tinged lenses become increasingly smudged and cracked with time, I still have more fondness for it than I do for some of its contemporaries.  That said, the original had some pretty clear failings in terms of pacing and general storytelling, and the remake tries to cut the fat and make things relevent.  Does it succeed?  Mostly, in my opinion.  Meanwhile, the gameplay is pretty much reworked, going from traditional turn-based RPG to ARPG with platforming and puzzle elements.  The end result is a breezy ARPG that takes about 12 hours and does a generally better job of being effective with those 12 hours than the original did with its 20-or-so.  The story doesn't become amazing but it at least doesn't fade in and out of existance, and the characters even gain some personality.  Unfortunately, the game's difficulty and general balance is pretty uneven, and it's plagued with technical issues such as slowdowns.  Use of the mystic stone board, through which characters gain abilities that ostensibly make them (and gameplay in general) more interesting, snap the game in half, and after a certain boss, the game's difficulty curve doesn't so much drop as it plummets.  That said, if you don't mind breezy ARPG fluff, you could do worse than this.

Shin Megami Tensei Strange Journey [DS] (8/10): SMT is a series that, admittedly, I haven't had much real exposure to outside of the first two Persona games.  I played some of SMT1/2 and thought they were terrible, and some of Devil Survivor, liked it but got distracted by other things and never got around to getting back, and that's about it.  Strange Journey is, from what I can derive from my limited experience, like SMT1/2 with elements of Etrian Odyssey thrown in, with the result being of the best first-person dungeon crawlers I've played.  The game's difficulty builds up gradually, with methods to resist some of the nastier things you encounter cropping up around the same timeframe as you encounter them, reducing the threat of cheap shots in an environment where it's game over if the main character dies, letting the game's dungeons be a test of the party's resources rather than the player's patience.  Bosses can be a challenge for the unprepared, and while they have their nasty (and in some cases unfair) tricks, they never really felt like they were flat out punching you in the dick.  The traditional turn-based combat isn't much of a positive, and the Demon Co-op system that the game uses instead of press turns isn't an exceptional boon, but this is a game where you have to blindly guess weaknesses and resistances for entirely too long, as you need a certain level of analysis for them to be explicitly revealed, which can take a fair amount of time depending on things, so there's something to be said for a system that doesn't bite you in the ass any harder than the standard RPG for misguessing, and a press turn system would only exaccerbate the fairly obvious flaw that exists in your ability to analyze demons.  Save Terminals are fairly plentiful, which is good, as losing fair chunks of progress to an unlucky game over is never fun, and the dungeons themselves are fairly well-put together.  Demon Sources that you get from having a fully-analyzed demon in your party level up is a neat way to add versatility to your team, though I really wish you could just pick what skills you want them to give during fusion instead of having to dance to the tune of the RNG Conga.

Good grief that was wordy for me.

Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow [GBA] (7.5/10): Fun fact: I had never played a Metroidvania game before this, so it's nice that the first one I played gave me a fairly good impression.  The Soul system was fun, though I'm kinda glad I wasn't crazy enough to try for 100% completion there.  I saw a video of a guy who tried and ugh god that did not look fun.

Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance [GBA] (4/10): Not nearly as fun or as good as AoS.  Juste is arguably more FAAABULOUS~ than Soma, though.

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night [PSX] (7.5/10): More good fun.  The game was narmier than I was led to believe, though, which is somewhat impressive as I had already come across the whole "Die, monster" scene and thought I had a good idea of what to expect.

Metroid Prime [GC] (7/10): I'm not really a fan of first-person shooters or first-person platforming.  In spite of this I enjoyed MP a fair deal, for all that I thought the second form of the titular boss was lame as fuck.  Honestly, if you haven't played this yet, you should.

Metroid Prime 2: Echoes [GC] (3.5/10): This not so much.  MP2 has a poorly-made difficulty-oriented romhack feel to it when compared to the prequel, much like how X-Com: Terror From The Deep does when compared to X-Com: UFO Defense, in addition to suffering from a poorly concieved and poorly executed Dark World gimmick.

Fire Emblem: New Mystery of the Emblem [DS] (6/10): New Mystery, much like Shadow Dragon, suffers from relative primitiveness in terms of gameplay mechanics, and the two new additions (a customizeable main and the permadeathless Casual Mode) of... debatable merit.  With the game still being Japanese only (though hopefully a translation is in the works) I can't really make an objective statment on the former's worth other than him serving mainly as a target for the other PCs to blather about themselves during base conversations, potentially offering greater characterization and making up for one of Shadow Dragon's non-gameplay-related weaknesses, as well as providing an excuse to add a tangentally-related subplot told through the game's tutorial/prologue and several side chapters.  Rankings return, though in a fairly watered down form (only three rankings that apparently max out at A) in comparison to FE6 and 7.  The game generally feels tighter on difficulty and balance than the previous FE title, thus the score.

Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin [DS] (7/10): I can't really put my finger on what it was exactly that makes me like game a little less than AoS/SotN, but nevertheless I can't say the game is a disappointment.  Plus you can throw cream pies at people, how is that not awesome?

Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Sky [DS] (5.5/10): It is what it is.  While not especially dull, the gameplay does feel somewhat plodding at times, for all that it's a more interesting game than I expected from a Dragon Quest title.

Etrian Odyssey 3: The Drowned City [DS] (8/10): Possibly the best EO yet?  Certainly my favorite of the three, at least.  Need to get back to it though.

Dawn of Heroes [DS] (7/10): This game does some great things.  This game does some poor things.  In my opinion, the good outweighs the bad.  I've ranted about what the game does well and does poorly in the 2010 WGAYP topic, and right now I don't really care to produce even a watered-down version of that rant.  But seriously, more people should play this.

Super Robot Wars L [DS] (8/10): Super Robot Wars K stood out amongst the GBA/DS SRW titles for its partner system, which was, flawed as it was (and it certainly was flawed to the point of borderline pointlessness), nevertheless an interesting system that deserved another shot.  While clearly made on a shoestring budget and hardly perfect, SRWL is one of the most balanced games in the series that I've had the pleasure of playing.  Very few units can be said to be genuinely bad or gamebreaking, and the partner bonuses that exist in lieu of optional parts is one of the most interesting things to come from a GBA/DS SRW title.  The game is clearly formulaic in other ways, but at least it has the benefit of following a good formula.

I left out a few games but they were mostly either pretty minor to me or fangames that I don't really feel like talking about right now.  Also this is long enough already.

Nitori

• Denizen
  • The only thing YOU'RE onto is your mot-
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2011, 03:15:48 AM »
oh man gotta finish before Elfboy

10th: Bioshock

I shoot bees from my hand simulator, also Sander Cohen literally the greatest

9th: Mana Khemia 2: Fall of Alchemy

Glorious animu tropes kawaii kawaii baka desu desu

8th: Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance

Guys I think my soul got trolled

7th: New Super Mario Bros. Wii

Responsible for significant rises in Wiimote stabbings

6th: Grim Fandango

Still trying to not walk in circles everyday

5th: Resident Evil 4

Zombie Napoleon out to get me

4th: Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth

Basic logic literally a superpower everywhere

3rd: Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence

Let's make old movie analogies

2nd: Okami

Beads are a lethal weapon when used by canines

1st: Psychonauts

Innocent animal torture simulator, with delicious milk
<Ko-NitoriisSulpher> roll 1d100 to grade Nitori?
<Hatbot> ACTION --> "Ko-NitoriisSulpher rolls 1d100 to grade Nitori? and gets 100." [1d100=100]