Author Topic: Main Character elemental quirks: THE RETURN!  (Read 8846 times)

Ultradude

• White Void, Cold Steel, OUCH FUCKING VAMPIRES
  • Denizen
  • I AM THE etc.etc.etc.
    • View Profile
Re: Main Character elemental quirks: THE RETURN!
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2008, 01:19:59 PM »
Quick note for Niu on Origin and Maxwell - in Tales of Symphonia, Origin is called the lord of Creation, and Maxwell is presented as the lord of molecules and matter. So... does that fit in with minamoto and moto?
"Turning into bats? Laughable!" says sparkly telepathic Volvo-driving vampire who spent century in high school.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2008, 02:17:06 PM »
That is roughly what he is talking about I believe, yes.  Origin is capable of creating all new matter while Maxwell is capable of shaping all matter.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2008, 06:43:25 PM »
Calling Reid non elemental works too I guess, when all is said and done.  Calling a character his own unique element cause a game has a screwed up element that makes no freaking sense ("Its elemental! Oh yeah, Elemental is technically non-elemental!")...yeah...

Way more sense than bringing in Roman goddesses and trying to apply strange lo...

You know what?  No.  This argument is stupid.  Bunnies in Tea cups. 

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2008, 07:01:56 PM »
Dark Artes are Elemental element?  Did not know that; was told you could halve Eternal Finalities damage with Dark resistance but I guess it was Elemental resistance (again, hate for that name) that did that.

So yeah, guess just call Reid Unaligned then, if that's the case.

And no, Grefter, Zenny didn't bring it up; Niu did initially.  Zenny just went "no, you're wrong, they're Elemental, therefore he is! And don't use this excuse."  Niu's initial counter point came first, Zenny added nothing.

Regarding Tidus w/ Time...

Parallel universe (one that technically is only a dream too) and Time are two different things.  And just cause Tidus went from one to the other doesn't indicate his element at all.  I mean, is suddenly Serge the same thing cause he skips parallel universes all the time?  No, he's not.

[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2008, 11:03:33 PM »
Dark Artes are Elemental element?  Did not know that; was told you could halve Eternal Finalities damage with Dark resistance but I guess it was Elemental resistance (again, hate for that name) that did that.

Nono, I noted, if seperate game mechanics from plot, Dark Aurora Arts is Elemental element. As essentially both type of Aurora Arts use a mix of all types of Craymels. Dark Aurora arts is indeed Dark element game emchanics wise.

Pyro

« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2008, 04:13:41 AM »
Confirmation: Wain gets the Duel Blade (which is rather explicitly holy), and is the only swordsman to learn the sinistral/Zalbak-raping holy sword tech. I think he can be safely classified as holy. The game's colors don't really associate with an element so much as a fighting style (magic, hit things really hard, tank, speedy...)

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2008, 12:17:22 PM »
A dream realm of beings from ten thousand years in the past.  Space and time are the same thing, multiple dimensions (which this is because Tidus can physically interract with things in the "real" dimension) are all connected within space in all theories of multiple dimensions that exist (which are.... tenuous at best I understand?).

Multiple dimensions are just another kind of space.  Space and time are the same thing.  This means nothing anyway.

The only reason FFX plot is not time travel centred is to avoid time loops, it is a way to keep plot consistent and hold up better under examination.  It is functionally time travel.

Tidus is a physical embodiment of something from ten thousand years in the past.  He represents a time displaced entity, he behaves like a time displaced entity.  Tidus effectively travelled through ten thousand years.  Tidus' central plot focusses around time.

Tidus is time.  He just doesn't travel through that time.

Edit - Distracted by shiny things.

So because the final (evil) boss (who is possessed by a negative entity that seeks to destroy everything) has an attack that is Dark aligned (in battle).  That makes Reid who is (by plot) non-elemental because (by plot) they have the same type of powers when (in plot) their powers have a canon specific type of power which is an elemental type.

On top of that because of in plot discussion regarding Tidus you disregard his in battle example?  In spite of the plot argument against Tidus being uh kind of missing the point anyhow?

Fair and balanced.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 12:24:55 PM by Grefter »
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2008, 08:43:05 PM »
More obscure-ish games no one cares about!

Growlanser - The original Growlanser starred Carmaine (who, conveniently, was playable in GL2). Despite being cloned as a host for a Dark God (kinda), his abilities are primarily Light-aligned. Also, he's the "Growlanser", which apparently means "Savior of Light".

Growlanser 2 - No one is really elementally aligned in this game, but Wein receives the title of "Growlanser", so he might be considered Light.

Growlanser 5: Heritage of War - Again, no real elemental alignments, but Haschen has an interesting plot claim to the obscure "Sound" element due to his unique ability to produce the vital "Ultrasonic Aura" which allows you to defeat some of the more nasty creatures of the GL5 world.

Shining Tears - I may be the only person here who has played this game, but Xion, the silent-amnesiac-secretly-royalty protagonist breaks the stereotype of being Fire-elemental (only stereotype he breaks!) and instead opts for Lightning. Also, the game's Yin-Yang duality system might peg him as Dark/Light for sub-elements.

-Djinn

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2008, 12:52:18 PM »
Not sure if anyone else has any interest in this topic, but it's actually been pretty useful to me for a few projects.

I was wondering if anyone could contribute the main elements for these games which haven't been mentioned in the topic?

Crisis Core
Dirge of Cerberus
FFTA2 (DS)
FF12RW (DS)
Vagrant Story
Arc the Lad 5
Wild ARMS 5
Wild ARMS XF
Tales of Legendia
Phantasy Star Universe
Lunar DS
Ys series
La Pucelle
Phantom Brave
Makai Kingdom
Atelier Iris: Eternal Mana
Atelier Iris: Eternal Mana 2
Atelier Iris 3: Grand Phantasm
Ar Tonelico: Melody of Elemia
Mana Khemia: Alchemists of Al-Revis
Dark Cloud
Dark Cloud 2
Rogue Galaxy
Blue Dragon
Thousand Arms
Odin Sphere
Riviera: The Promised Land
Threads of Fate
SaGa Frontier 2

... I could probably fill in some of those myself, but it's been a while since I've played any these games and I'm not sure I remember the elemental affinities of any of the characters very well...

Regardless, any help is appreciated. :)

-Djinn