Author Topic: Music Tournament of Doom Round 2 Pools 7 and 8  (Read 3389 times)

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Tonfa

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: Music Tournament of Doom Round 2 Pools 7 and 8
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 07:46:34 AM »
Megaman 2- Wily Stage 1 and 2 v Parasite Eve: U.B.: Go away, U.B.
Romancing Saga: Minstrel Song-  A Challenge to God -Four Guardian Kings Battle v Mountain of Faith - Ryuunosuke Akutagawa's Kappa ~ Candid Friend: Kappa is way outclassed here.
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night - The Tragic Prince v Ar Tonelico 2 - EXEC_SPHILIA/.: I like Tragic Prince a lot, but Sphilia is one of my absolute favorites.
Final Fantasy Mystic Quest - Battle 3 v Kingdom Hearts - Hikari -KINGDOM Orchestra Instrumental Version-: Hm. Sure.

Final Fantasy X - Suteki Da Ne (orchestra) v Soul Nomad - Crying for the Dark Sky: I had to think about this one for a bit, but I shall indulge in the delightful madness this time.
Legend of Mana - Pain the Universe v Chrono Trigger ~ To Far Away Times: I don't get the Pain the Universe hype. It's way too busy to be memorable in any way.
Wild ARMs 4 - I Look Up At The Night Sky Because You Are There v Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne – “Staff Roll” -: This whole pool is pretty easy to call.
Legend of Mana - Song of Mana ~ Ending Theme v Wild Arms 2 - Battle with Lord Blazer: An amazing new find versus good that lacks punch.

EDIT: Huh. 4 ending themes. What'd you say about the DL not appreciating them again, CK? >_>
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 07:51:18 AM by Tonfa »
<Niu> If I ever see that Langfadood, i'll strangle him on sight
<Gourry> What, for making the game three times better?
<Gourry> And playable, at that?
<Niu> that lose the whole point of of L2!!!

Nitori

• Denizen
  • The only thing YOU'RE onto is your mot-
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 08:15:16 AM »

Megaman 2- Wily Stage 1 and 2 v Parasite Eve: U.B. - I guess.
Romancing Saga: Minstrel Song-  A Challenge to God -Four Guardian Kings Battle v Mountain of Faith - Ryuunosuke Akutagawa's Kappa ~ Candid Friend - Oh come on. At least I lose to raocow.
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night - The Tragic Prince v Ar Tonelico 2 - EXEC_SPHILIA/. - Oooh, close.
Final Fantasy Mystic Quest - Battle 3 v Kingdom Hearts - Hikari -KINGDOM Orchestra Instrumental Version-

Final Fantasy X - Suteki Da Ne (orchestra) v Soul Nomad - Crying for the Dark Sky
Legend of Mana - Pain the Universe v Chrono Trigger ~ To Far Away Times
Wild ARMs 4 - I Look Up At The Night Sky Because You Are There v Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne – “Staff Roll” -
Legend of Mana - Song of Mana ~ Ending Theme v Wild Arms 2 - Battle with Lord Blazer
<Ko-NitoriisSulpher> roll 1d100 to grade Nitori?
<Hatbot> ACTION --> "Ko-NitoriisSulpher rolls 1d100 to grade Nitori? and gets 100." [1d100=100]

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2008, 08:26:33 AM »
U.B.
A Challenge to God -Four Guardian Kings Battle
EXEC_SPHILIA/.- Has to vote for this by principal alone.
- Hikari -KINGDOM Orchestra Instrumental Version-
Crying for the Dark Sky
To Far Away Times
 Staff Roll
Song of Mana ~ Ending Theme

dude789

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2008, 12:24:40 PM »
Romancing Saga: Minstrel Song-  A Challenge to God -Four Guardian Kings Battle v Mountain of Faith - Ryuunosuke Akutagawa's Kappa ~ Candid Friend
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night - The Tragic Prince v Ar Tonelico 2 - EXEC_SPHILIA/.
Final Fantasy Mystic Quest - Battle 3 v Kingdom Hearts - Hikari -KINGDOM Orchestra Instrumental Version-

Final Fantasy X - Suteki Da Ne (orchestra) v Soul Nomad - Crying for the Dark Sky
Wild ARMs 4 - I Look Up At The Night Sky Because You Are There v Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne – “Staff Roll” -
Legend of Mana - Song of Mana ~ Ending Theme v Wild Arms 2 - Battle with Lord Blazer

Ranmilia

• Poetry Lover
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Not a squid!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2008, 12:41:09 PM »
Megaman 2- Wily Stage 1 and 2 v Parasite Eve: U.B. - Poor UB.  (Actually, poor anything in this pool.)
Romancing Saga: Minstrel Song-  A Challenge to God -Four Guardian Kings Battle v Mountain of Faith - Ryuunosuke Akutagawa's Kappa ~ Candid Friend - The RS is uninspiring and has worse trumpets.  It's bad when ZUN trumpets own yours.
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night - The Tragic Prince v Ar Tonelico 2 - EXEC_SPHILIA/. - Not terribly close, already stated my dislike of Chipmunk Singin.
Final Fantasy Mystic Quest - Battle 3 v Kingdom Hearts - Hikari -KINGDOM Orchestra Instrumental Version- - N-no!  Must resist... voting... KH... argh.  The power of John Williams style french horns compel me. 

Final Fantasy X - Suteki Da Ne (orchestra) v Soul Nomad - Crying for the Dark Sky - Close match, both good.  (... did both versions of Suteki get in or something?)
Legend of Mana - Pain the Universe v Chrono Trigger ~ To Far Away Times - Not close match.   
Wild ARMs 4 - I Look Up At The Night Sky Because You Are There v Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne – “Staff Roll” - Bizzare match, in which I express my preference for style of ending themes.
Legend of Mana - Song of Mana ~ Ending Theme v Wild Arms 2 - Battle with Lord Blazer - Was ambivalent here till 1:15 on the LoM. 

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2008, 02:56:37 PM »
Megaman 2- Wily Stage 1 and 2 v Parasite Eve: U.B.
Romancing Saga: Minstrel Song-  A Challenge to God -Four Guardian Kings Battle v Mountain of Faith - Ryuunosuke Akutagawa's Kappa ~ Candid Friend
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night - The Tragic Prince v Ar Tonelico 2 - EXEC_SPHILIA/.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2008, 03:57:40 PM »
Megaman 2- Wily Stage 1 and 2 v Parasite Eve: U.B.- Good fight.
Romancing Saga: Minstrel Song-  A Challenge to God -Four Guardian Kings Battle v Mountain of Faith - Ryuunosuke Akutagawa's Kappa ~ Candid Friend- Isn't Kappa music.
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night - The Tragic Prince v Ar Tonelico 2 - EXEC_SPHILIA/. Exec_Sphilia's the best of the AT stuff, at least.

Final Fantasy X - Suteki Da Ne (orchestra) v Soul Nomad - Crying for the Dark Sky- I have to play SN sometime.
Legend of Mana - Pain the Universe v Chrono Trigger ~ To Far Away Times- Mmm, two good tracks.
Wild ARMs 4 - I Look Up At The Night Sky Because You Are There v Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne – “Staff Roll” - Aw hell no, people aren't voting for night sky. Staff roll kicks ass and takes names.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2008, 06:23:35 PM by superaielman »
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

OblivionKnight

• Boom! Big reveal: I'm a pickle. What do you think about that?
  • Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2008, 07:33:19 PM »
Megaman 2- Wily Stage 1 and 2 v Parasite Eve: U.B. - Wily is awesome.
Romancing Saga: Minstrel Song-  A Challenge to God -Four Guardian Kings Battle v Mountain of Faith - Ryuunosuke Akutagawa's Kappa ~ Candid Friend - Probably the weakest RSMS song here, but...the MoF song isn't my favourite.
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night - The Tragic Prince v Ar Tonelico 2 - EXEC_SPHILIA/. - Best AT song here...which doesn't say much!
Final Fantasy Mystic Quest - Battle 3 v Kingdom Hearts - Hikari -KINGDOM Orchestra Instrumental Version- - French Horn is enough reason to vote anything.

Final Fantasy X - Suteki Da Ne (orchestra) v Soul Nomad - Crying for the Dark Sky - Has grown on me.  Huh.
Legend of Mana - Pain the Universe v Chrono Trigger ~ To Far Away Times - Mmm...may change this.
Wild ARMs 4 - I Look Up At The Night Sky Because You Are There v Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne – “Staff Roll” - - Can't  give up and vote for the WA4 song here.  Staff Roll is good.
Legend of Mana - Song of Mana ~ Ending Theme v Wild Arms 2 - Battle with Lord Blazer - BwLB is good - I don't deny that.  But...it's not unbeatable.  It's a good song, but there's plenty I vote it over.  Including good vocals.
[11:53] <+Meeple_Gorath> me reading, that's a good one

[19:26] * +Terra_Condor looks up. Star Wars Football, what?
[19:27] <+Terra_Condor> Han Kicks First?
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Vader intercepts.
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Touchdown and Alderaan explodes in the victory

Lance

• Groovy~
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • My Foxkei profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2008, 12:44:12 AM »
Final Fantasy Mystic Quest - Battle 3 v Kingdom Hearts - Hikari -KINGDOM Orchestra Instrumental Version - So tired of Hikari....

Final Fantasy X - Suteki Da Ne (orchestra) v Soul Nomad - Crying for the Dark Sky - So tired of Suteki da ne....
Wild ARMs 4 - I Look Up At The Night Sky Because You Are There v Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne – “Staff Roll”

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2008, 01:01:28 AM »
Megaman 2- Wily Stage 1 and 2 v Parasite Eve: U.B. - This is actually close to me.
Romancing Saga: Minstrel Song-  A Challenge to God -Four Guardian Kings Battle v Mountain of Faith - Ryuunosuke Akutagawa's Kappa ~ Candid Friend - Good enough to beat one of the weaker MoF tracks
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night - The Tragic Prince v Ar Tonelico 2 - EXEC_SPHILIA/. - These AT songs really need to stop all sounding the same. Still, I suppose this one's just different enough, in a good way, to take this.
Final Fantasy Mystic Quest - Battle 3 v Kingdom Hearts - Hikari -KINGDOM Orchestra Instrumental Version- - Battle 3 is win.

Final Fantasy X - Suteki Da Ne (orchestra) v Soul Nomad - Crying for the Dark Sky - Sure
Legend of Mana - Pain the Universe v Chrono Trigger ~ To Far Away Times - ...ow. Um...nostalgia takes it? Damn.
Wild ARMs 4 - I Look Up At The Night Sky Because You Are There v Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne – “Staff Roll” - - Staff roll is...okay?
Legend of Mana - Song of Mana ~ Ending Theme v Wild Arms 2 - Battle with Lord Blazer - Yup.
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2008, 02:43:08 AM »
Megaman 2- Wily Stage 1 and 2 v Parasite Eve: U.B.: Both are awesome, but I love U.B.'s sense of menace (and confrontation, once it really gets going).
Romancing Saga: Minstrel Song-  A Challenge to God -Four Guardian Kings Battle v Mountain of Faith - Ryuunosuke Akutagawa's Kappa ~ Candid Friend: I cannot resist the awesome horn melody (though I like both tracks).
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night - The Tragic Prince v Ar Tonelico 2 - EXEC_SPHILIA/.: Less boring.
Final Fantasy Mystic Quest - Battle 3 v Kingdom Hearts - Hikari -KINGDOM Orchestra Instrumental Version-: Argh, I'm voting for something related to Kingdom Hearts. Kill me now. Have to admit that it's a good piece, though.

Final Fantasy X - Suteki Da Ne (orchestra) v Soul Nomad - Crying for the Dark Sky: Tough one, but I have to hand it to FF finally nailing a good vocal theme.
Legend of Mana - Pain the Universe v Chrono Trigger ~ To Far Away Times: Ouch. Can't we just chuck the next match and let both of these move on?
Wild ARMs 4 - I Look Up At The Night Sky Because You Are There v Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne – “Staff Roll” -: WA4 vocal tracks totally fail to impress. The other song isn't great, but it's better than Hauser music.
Legend of Mana - Song of Mana ~ Ending Theme v Wild Arms 2 - Battle with Lord Blazer: Awesomer than I'd remembered.

Cmdr_King

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2008, 05:00:59 AM »
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night - The Tragic Prince v Ar Tonelico 2 - EXEC_SPHILIA/.- Strangely similar.

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Twilkitri

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2008, 06:36:11 AM »
Megaman 2- Wily Stage 1 and 2 v Parasite Eve: U.B. - Another free win for Wily it seems... U.B. being godawful and all.
Romancing Saga: Minstrel Song-  A Challenge to God -Four Guardian Kings Battle v Mountain of Faith - Ryuunosuke Akutagawa's Kappa ~ Candid Friend - They're both nice, but Challenge has considerably superior style.
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night - The Tragic Prince v Ar Tonelico 2 - EXEC_SPHILIA/. - SPHILIA should be woeful. But it manages to be somehow alluring at the same time. Tragic Prince has nothing.
Final Fantasy Mystic Quest - Battle 3 v Kingdom Hearts - Hikari -KINGDOM Orchestra Instrumental Version- - Awesome BGM versus Movie BGM

Final Fantasy X - Suteki Da Ne (orchestra) v Soul Nomad - Crying for the Dark Sky - Orchestral Suteki isn't as good as regular Suteki, but Crying is still as annoying as it was last round.
Legend of Mana - Pain the Universe v Chrono Trigger ~ To Far Away Times - MMX-alike beats middling CT.
Wild ARMs 4 - I Look Up At The Night Sky Because You Are There v Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne – “Staff Roll” - - I can't think much to say about either of these at the moment.
Legend of Mana - Song of Mana ~ Ending Theme v Wild Arms 2 - Battle with Lord Blazer - Sure, I'll join the bandwagon.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2008, 12:29:36 AM »
Megaman 2- Wily Stage 1 and 2 v Parasite Eve: U.B. - Parts of UB are good, but all of Wily Stage 1 are good.
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night - The Tragic Prince v Ar Tonelico 2 - EXEC_SPHILIA/.  Really close.  Tragic Prince is pretty much the signature song of SotN, and Sphilia is the only AT song so far that I authentically like a lot.  Eh, lightly give it to the song that makes a style I'm not normally a fan of sound good.

Final Fantasy X - Suteki Da Ne (orchestra) v Soul Nomad - Crying for the Dark Sky - How the heck did Crying win?  It's even worse against the AT song it was matched up against, IIRC.
Legend of Mana - Pain the Universe v Chrono Trigger ~ To Far Away Times - Close one.
Wild ARMs 4 - I Look Up At The Night Sky Because You Are There v Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne – “Staff Roll” - Not impressed with Staff Roll.
Legend of Mana - Song of Mana ~ Ending Theme v Wild Arms 2 - Battle with Lord Blazer Impressed with both.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2008, 01:43:28 AM »

Megaman 2- Wily Stage 1 and 2 v Parasite Eve: U.B.: Wily 1-2 is like the best piece of music for an entire SYSTEM. Yeah, that's less impressive when we're talking NES, but still.
Romancing Saga: Minstrel Song-  A Challenge to God -Four Guardian Kings Battle v Mountain of Faith - Ryuunosuke Akutagawa's Kappa ~ Candid Friend: Four Guardian Kings is the best of an excellent crop of battle tracks. Subpar Touhou music ain't cutting it here.
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night - The Tragic Prince v Ar Tonelico 2 - EXEC_SPHILIA/.: Huh, Sphilia is a lot less... bad on a resliten. Mostly just the beginning that sucks! Then it actually gets pretty good. Meanwhile... Tragic Prince sounds even worse. Is it an action piece or a mood piece? It's pretty bad at both.
Final Fantasy Mystic Quest - Battle 3 v Kingdom Hearts - Hikari -KINGDOM Orchestra Instrumental Version-: Ooh, excellent match. Battle 3's more to my tastes.

Final Fantasy X - Suteki Da Ne (orchestra) v Soul Nomad - Crying for the Dark Sky: Crying has too much crying.
Legend of Mana - Pain the Universe v Chrono Trigger ~ To Far Away Times: Still find Faraway Times fulls of meh.
Wild ARMs 4 - I Look Up At The Night Sky Because You Are There v Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne – “Staff Roll” -: ;_; See previous pool for my thoughts on WA4 vocals.
Legend of Mana - Song of Mana ~ Ending Theme v Wild Arms 2 - Battle with Lord Blazer: Song of Mana is good. Blazer is Blazer.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Soulgain

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2008, 06:56:22 AM »

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2008, 11:00:54 PM »
Comment inspiration is lacking again!

[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2008, 02:29:51 AM »

Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

InfinityDragon

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2008, 03:30:10 AM »
Megaman 2- Wily Stage 1 and 2 v Parasite Eve: U.B. - Wins on sound quality alone. Being better at everything else is just icing.
Romancing Saga: Minstrel Song-  A Challenge to God -Four Guardian Kings Battle v Mountain of Faith - Ryuunosuke Akutagawa's Kappa ~ Candid Friend - I guess.
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night - The Tragic Prince v Ar Tonelico 2 - EXEC_SPHILIA/. - Why Illusionary Dance and Tragic Prince of all the SotN tracks? No Lost Painting makes SotN sad. Anyways, Tragic Prince is horrible, SPHILIA is cool.
Final Fantasy Mystic Quest - Battle 3 v Kingdom Hearts - Hikari -KINGDOM Orchestra Instrumental Version- - Not close.

Final Fantasy X - Suteki Da Ne (orchestra) v Soul Nomad - Crying for the Dark Sky - Suteki Da Ne auto-loses.
Legend of Mana - Pain the Universe v Chrono Trigger ~ To Far Away Times - Goes somewhere.
Wild ARMs 4 - I Look Up At The Night Sky Because You Are There v Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne – “Staff Roll” - Poor Staff Roll is going to get slaughtered next round.
Legend of Mana - Song of Mana ~ Ending Theme v Wild Arms 2 - Battle with Lord Blazer - Lord Blazer is awesome, and this is still not close.

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2008, 03:52:12 AM »
Megaman 2- Wily Stage 1 and 2 v Parasite Eve: U.B. - OKKUSENMAN~
Romancing Saga: Minstrel Song-  A Challenge to God -Four Guardian Kings Battle v Mountain of Faith - Ryuunosuke Akutagawa's Kappa ~ Candid Friend - A Challenge to God is awesome.  Horn ftw.
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night - The Tragic Prince v Ar Tonelico 2 - EXEC_SPHILIA/. - Haha.
Final Fantasy Mystic Quest - Battle 3 v Kingdom Hearts - Hikari -KINGDOM Orchestra Instrumental Version- - Both are good, but Shimomura wins today~

Final Fantasy X - Suteki Da Ne (orchestra) v Soul Nomad - Crying for the Dark Sky - What can I say, I like Suteki Da Ne.
Legend of Mana - Pain the Universe v Chrono Trigger ~ To Far Away Times - Probably the only CT track that wins this.
Wild ARMs 4 - I Look Up At The Night Sky Because You Are There v Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne – “Staff Roll” - Close one!
Legend of Mana - Song of Mana ~ Ending Theme v Wild Arms 2 - Battle with Lord Blazer - Not close!

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2008, 11:51:55 PM »
Is awesome.

Neither is going to pose a challenge next round, but they're both listenable.  That said, Challenge to God is better.

Not the Tragic Prince.

FFMQ surprises with its quality, but not enough to best decent vocals.

Yeah, I know it's so sugary sweet it'll make your teeth rot, but...  Crying for the Dark Sky isn't that strong when it feels like it's going somewhere, and most of the time it just feels like meandering moaning.

Just like it better is all it comes down to here

Shmaltzy, but stuff actually, y'know, happens.

Battle with Lord Blazer rocks, but Song of Mana rocks more.

Cmdr_King

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2008, 03:30:59 AM »
Wily- xiiii v U.B.- v
Four Guardian- xvi v Kappa- v
Tragic Prince- vi v Sphilia- xiiii
MQ- x v KH- x (coinflip)

Suteki- viiii v Crying- x
Pain- vii v Faraway Times- xiii
Night Sky- viiii v Staff Roll- x
Song of Mana- xiiii v ROAD BRAZZAAAA- vi

Huh.  I blame Meeple.  Thanks for voting.