Author Topic: Music Tournament of Doom Round 2 Pools 15 and 16  (Read 3065 times)

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

OblivionKnight

• Boom! Big reveal: I'm a pickle. What do you think about that?
  • Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
Re: Music Tournament of Doom Round 2 Pools 15 and 16
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2008, 09:32:30 PM »
Wild Arms 4 – Buried City v Castlevania series- Illusionary Dance/Dance of Illusions - Buried City won?  It's fitting background, but generally...bad otherwise.  Bleh.  Also, Hager's Song should be here >_>
Soul Nomad - Crash Landing v Valkyrie Profile - The First Unison - Damn good.  Great dungeon themes are hard to find (AND YOU ALL VOTED AGAINST SURVIVAL FROM THE FORCE!!!!).
Megaman 3- Wily Stage 2 v Atelier Iris 2 – Resounding Heartbeat - Heartbeat impresses me still, but MM3 is my favourite MM, and Wily 2 is pretty damn good.
Xenogears - Bonds of Sea and Fire v Romancing Saga Minstrel Song - Written Invitation to Death -The Battle with Death- - Not much close.

Wild ARMs 4 - Over the Wind v Suikoden II - Heart-softening BGM II - Die, S2 Heart music!
Tales of Legendia- The bird chirps, I sing v Chrono Cross- Dream of the Shore Bordering Another World - Sexilicious.
Lufia 2 - Sinistral Battle v Perfect Cherry Blossom - Phantom Ensemble - Love Sinistral...might change this later.  For now, the awesome instrumentation of PE work here.
Wild Arms XF - Blank Easel v Guilty Gear XX: Existence - GG music hasn't impressed me much.  Needs more Star Control 2 music.
[11:53] <+Meeple_Gorath> me reading, that's a good one

[19:26] * +Terra_Condor looks up. Star Wars Football, what?
[19:27] <+Terra_Condor> Han Kicks First?
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Vader intercepts.
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Touchdown and Alderaan explodes in the victory

InfinityDragon

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2008, 10:05:22 PM »
Wild Arms 4 – Buried City v Castlevania series- Illusionary Dance/Dance of Illusions - Not close.
Soul Nomad - Crash Landing v Valkyrie Profile - The First Unison - Not as generic sounding.
Megaman 3- Wily Stage 2 v Atelier Iris 2 – Resounding Heartbeat - NES music gets the lol
Xenogears - Bonds of Sea and Fire v Romancing Saga Minstrel Song - Written Invitation to Death -The Battle with Death- - Boring vs. Awesome.

Wild ARMs 4 - Over the Wind v Suikoden II - Heart-softening BGM II - Over the Wind is awesome. S2 music isn't.
Tales of Legendia- The bird chirps, I sing v Chrono Cross- Dream of the Shore Bordering Another World - ToL song is ridiculously repetitive.
Lufia 2 - Sinistral Battle v Perfect Cherry Blossom - Phantom Ensemble - PCB song is way too busy and has poor harmonization...and then turns into ear shattering shit. It might have one if it just stayed with the simple melody since that actually worked!
Wild Arms XF - Blank Easel v Guilty Gear XX: Existence - Not a shitty attempt at...rock? I think it tries to be rock, but it fails so bad at it, it's hard to tell.

dude789

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2008, 11:32:04 PM »
Soul Nomad - Crash Landing v Valkyrie Profile - The First Unison
Xenogears - Bonds of Sea and Fire v Romancing Saga Minstrel Song - Written Invitation to Death -The Battle with Death-

Wild ARMs 4 - Over the Wind v Suikoden II - Heart-softening BGM II
Tales of Legendia- The bird chirps, I sing v Chrono Cross- Dream of the Shore Bordering Another World
Lufia 2 - Sinistral Battle v Perfect Cherry Blossom - Phantom Ensemble

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2008, 11:39:19 PM »
Wild Arms 4 – Buried City v Castlevania series- Illusionary Dance/Dance of Illusions: Less boring. Buried City is great for atmosphere in-game, but terribly dull outside of it.
Soul Nomad - Crash Landing v Valkyrie Profile - The First Unison:
Megaman 3- Wily Stage 2 v Atelier Iris 2 – Resounding Heartbeat: Decent enough. I dig the Wily track, just feeling the opposition more right now.
Xenogears - Bonds of Sea and Fire v Romancing Saga Minstrel Song - Written Invitation to Death -The Battle with Death-: Not close. I like a lot of XG music, but this track always seemed pretty unremarkable.

Wild ARMs 4 - Over the Wind v Suikoden II - Heart-softening BGM II: WA4 track makes me go "Oh, that song." S2 track...would totally fail to evoke anything were it not for the same basic melody playing in the intro.
Tales of Legendia- The bird chirps, I sing v Chrono Cross- Dream of the Shore Bordering Another World: Both are good. It's hard not to go with the old standby, though.
Lufia 2 - Sinistral Battle v Perfect Cherry Blossom - Phantom Ensemble: Gap in sound quality is just too great, for all that Sinistral Battle does have a good basic tune going (S.S.H. version would crush the Touhou track).
Wild Arms XF - Blank Easel v Guilty Gear XX: Existence: More assassin hype.

Lance

• Groovy~
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • My Foxkei profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2008, 12:29:03 AM »
Wild Arms 4 – Buried City v Castlevania series- Illusionary Dance/Dance of Illusions - Manages to hold my attention despite its length
Megaman 3- Wily Stage 2 v Atelier Iris 2 – Resounding Heartbeat - In fairness, the Wily music does have better remix potential
Xenogears - Bonds of Sea and Fire v Romancing Saga Minstrel Song - Written Invitation to Death -The Battle with Death- - I love RSMS music more and more every week

Tales of Legendia- The bird chirps, I sing v Chrono Cross- Dream of the Shore Bordering Another World - No sir, still don't like the ToL track
Wild Arms XF - Blank Easel v Guilty Gear XX: Existence - Mandatory match of meh
« Last Edit: May 22, 2008, 12:37:06 AM by Lance »

Ranmilia

• Poetry Lover
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Not a squid!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2008, 12:47:25 AM »
Wild Arms 4 – Buried City v Castlevania series- Illusionary Dance/Dance of Illusions - .... this is going to get to round 4, isn't it.  The rest of its foursome is so weak.
Soul Nomad - Crash Landing v Valkyrie Profile - The First Unison - So weak.
Megaman 3- Wily Stage 2 v Atelier Iris 2 – Resounding Heartbeat - I was all set to vote Wily thinking this was yet another generic chirpy vocals track.  Glad I hit the link, this is actually good stuff and no idea why I didn't remember it from round 1.
Xenogears - Bonds of Sea and Fire v Romancing Saga Minstrel Song - Written Invitation to Death -The Battle with Death- - Hmmm.  Yeah.  Sea and Fire doesn't develop as much as it could.  Neither does Death!  But I'm a sucker for shiny.

Wild ARMs 4 - Over the Wind v Suikoden II - Heart-softening BGM II - Match of meh.
Tales of Legendia- The bird chirps, I sing v Chrono Cross- Dream of the Shore Bordering Another World - See previously stated dislike of chirpy vocal songs.  Especially compared to pure Mitsuda awesome.
Lufia 2 - Sinistral Battle v Perfect Cherry Blossom - Phantom Ensemble - Eh.  No love for either, less for Sinstral. 
Wild Arms XF - Blank Easel v Guilty Gear XX: Existence - Eh.  Just better. 

Still not much exciting in this batch.

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2008, 02:13:21 AM »
Wild Arms 4 – Buried City v Castlevania series- Illusionary Dance/Dance of Illusions
Megaman 3- Wily Stage 2 v Atelier Iris 2 – Resounding Heartbeat
Xenogears - Bonds of Sea and Fire v Romancing Saga Minstrel Song - Written Invitation to Death -The Battle with Death-

Tales of Legendia- The bird chirps, I sing v Chrono Cross- Dream of the Shore Bordering Another World
Wild Arms XF - Blank Easel v Guilty Gear XX: Existence

Tonfa

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2008, 02:52:08 AM »
Wild Arms 4 – Buried City v Castlevania series- Illusionary Dance/Dance of Illusions: Mm, I do like this as a moodsetter on a relisten. I am also trying very hard to not fall asleep during Buried City now.
Soul Nomad - Crash Landing v Valkyrie Profile - The First Unison: First Unison's alright, but nowhere near a World Eater theme. Groove on~
Megaman 3- Wily Stage 2 v Atelier Iris 2 – Resounding Heartbeat: Good not-NES > Good NES.
Xenogears - Bonds of Sea and Fire v Romancing Saga Minstrel Song - Written Invitation to Death -The Battle with Death-: Hahahahahahahaha.

Wild ARMs 4 - Over the Wind v Suikoden II - Heart-softening BGM II: Not Sleep-inducing BGM.
Tales of Legendia- The bird chirps, I sing v Chrono Cross- Dream of the Shore Bordering Another World: Plain and simple, outdoes the ToL track at its own job.
Lufia 2 - Sinistral Battle v Perfect Cherry Blossom - Phantom Ensemble: I don't feel murderous about Phantom Ensemble's synth today so this is easy.
Wild Arms XF - Blank Easel v Guilty Gear XX: Existence: One of my favorite WA tracks period -does- beat an average GG track.
<Niu> If I ever see that Langfadood, i'll strangle him on sight
<Gourry> What, for making the game three times better?
<Gourry> And playable, at that?
<Niu> that lose the whole point of of L2!!!

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2008, 06:14:48 PM »

Wild Arms 4 – Buried City v Castlevania series- Illusionary Dance/Dance of Illusions- not close.

"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2008, 07:09:26 PM »
Wild Arms 4 – Buried City v Castlevania series- Illusionary Dance/Dance of Illusions: Sure. Not really too impressed with either.
Soul Nomad - Crash Landing v Valkyrie Profile - The First Unison: One of the best dungeon themes ever; just very pretty and sets the mood perfectly. Crash Landing is a bit of a mess; albeit one that has grown on me a little.
Megaman 3- Wily Stage 2 v Atelier Iris 2 – Resounding Heartbeat: Damn ye, putfile!
Xenogears - Bonds of Sea and Fire v Romancing Saga Minstrel Song - Written Invitation to Death -The Battle with Death-: Death is distinctly less awesome than the other RSMS battle themes in this contest. Still easily awesome enough here.

Wild ARMs 4 - Over the Wind v Suikoden II - Heart-softening BGM II: I think I may prefer BGM2's rendition of this melody to Reminiscence, actually? Doesn't matter; even with a slightly weaker melody Over the Wind is a far stronger overall piece of music.
Tales of Legendia- The bird chirps, I sing v Chrono Cross- Dream of the Shore Bordering Another World: Well, now I can vote for Dream in clear conscience, at least. The ToL song isn't too bad (if a bit strange) but Dream is one of those very rare tracks which ensures CC OST hypers aren't completely insane.
Lufia 2 - Sinistral Battle v Perfect Cherry Blossom - Phantom Ensemble: The good Touhou track keeps on kicking ass. Wonder if L2 boss would have gotten me to vote the other way.
Wild Arms XF - Blank Easel v Guilty Gear XX: Existence: GGXX would need one of its really stellar tracks to win this.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Nitori

• Denizen
  • The only thing YOU'RE onto is your mot-
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2008, 07:19:52 PM »
Wild Arms 4 – Buried City v Castlevania series- Illusionary Dance/Dance of Illusions

<Ko-NitoriisSulpher> roll 1d100 to grade Nitori?
<Hatbot> ACTION --> "Ko-NitoriisSulpher rolls 1d100 to grade Nitori? and gets 100." [1d100=100]

Dhyerwolf

• Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2008, 07:52:51 PM »
...into the nightfall.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2008, 09:57:21 PM »
Dance of Illusions
The First Unison
Resounding Heartbeat
Written Invitation to Death -The Battle with Death-
Over the Wind
Dream of the Shore Bordering Another World
Phantom Ensemble
Existence

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2008, 03:44:15 AM »

[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2008, 04:24:10 AM »

When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Twilkitri

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2008, 02:30:33 PM »
Wild Arms 4 – Buried City v Castlevania series- Illusionary Dance/Dance of Illusions - Neither of these are especially inspiring.
Soul Nomad - Crash Landing v Valkyrie Profile - The First Unison - I'm not sure how Cacophonous Landing made it to the second round.
Megaman 3- Wily Stage 2 v Atelier Iris 2 – Resounding Heartbeat - Resounding isn't particularly great, but it's fine enough. This Wily is lame.
Xenogears - Bonds of Sea and Fire v Romancing Saga Minstrel Song - Written Invitation to Death -The Battle with Death- - Bonds is good, but I forgot it was on several times. Not so with Death.

Wild ARMs 4 - Over the Wind v Suikoden II - Heart-softening BGM II - Heart-softening soup for the soul
Tales of Legendia- The bird chirps, I sing v Chrono Cross- Dream of the Shore Bordering Another World - Chirp's semi-weirdness is not enough to carry it TOO far.
Lufia 2 - Sinistral Battle v Perfect Cherry Blossom - Phantom Ensemble - Beating Lufia 2 music is not difficult.
Wild Arms XF - Blank Easel v Guilty Gear XX: Existence - Nothing to say here.

Cmdr_King

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2008, 04:03:04 AM »

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2008, 02:41:31 AM »

<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2008, 02:57:37 AM »

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2008, 04:38:19 AM »
Wild Arms 4 – Buried City v Castlevania series- Illusionary Dance/Dance of Illusions - Just better.
Soul Nomad - Crash Landing v Valkyrie Profile - The First Unison - Sure.
Megaman 3- Wily Stage 2 v Atelier Iris 2 – Resounding Heartbeat - This Wily kind of sucks.  Resounding Heartbeat is aweosme~
Xenogears - Bonds of Sea and Fire v Romancing Saga Minstrel Song - Written Invitation to Death -The Battle with Death- - Yes.

Wild ARMs 4 - Over the Wind v Suikoden II - Heart-softening BGM II - Also yes.
Tales of Legendia- The bird chirps, I sing v Chrono Cross- Dream of the Shore Bordering Another World - Oooh, a good match.  Think I'm going with the birdie though~
Lufia 2 - Sinistral Battle v Perfect Cherry Blossom - Phantom Ensemble - I like Sinistral Battle (awesome melody), but this isn't really fair.
Wild Arms XF - Blank Easel v Guilty Gear XX: Existence - Isn't complete shit.

Cmdr_King

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2008, 06:29:00 AM »
Buried- viiii v Illusion- viiii (coinflip)
Crash Landing- vii v First Unison- xii
Wily- vi v Heartbeat- x
Bonds- i v Death- xvii

Wind- xv v Softening- iiii
Bird- vi v Dream- xiii
Sinistral- vii v Phantom Ensemble- xii
Blank Easel- x v Existence- vii

Whee.  No more round 2.  Thanks for voting!