Register

Author Topic: Our Fantasy World  (Read 2400 times)

Veryslightlymad

• CONCEPTUALIZATION [Challenging: Success]
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Shitposts are a type of art for webforums
    • View Profile
Our Fantasy World
« on: July 09, 2008, 11:11:47 PM »
A moment of inspiration hit me when I was in the middle of a quick bus-time nap today, and this is the resulting idea:

You ever see those big Fantasy worlds that have lots and lots of varying races or creatures or whatever, and it all seems like a mishmash of things, but somehow it all fits? Well, we're going to create one. Me and whoever wants to play. This is a game, sort of. I haven't worked out the exact details yet, but here's the idea:

All of you who are interested in playing, create a sapient fantasy race. You do not create humans. (I will be using humans as a control group) You are an ancient race of whatever, and I will design a world around the folks in it, and cram in a bunch of details. You interact with each other, but you do it through me. You are kept in the dark about the other players' races, so as to be in the dark about their motivations or cultures or whatever. Anyone who is interested simply PMs me with the following details:

RACE NAME: (The.... name of your race. Races are first-come first-serve. You may create a new race of creatures, or you may adopt a preexisting one from fiction. In the case of the latter, the first person to PM me gets it. If you adopt a race from elsewhere, you have no obligation to make them "traditional". Thus, if you're, say, Dwarves, you don't have to live underground or whatever. You might just be dwarflike in appearance/demeanor. Or maybe you create something called "elves" that maybe looks nothing like elves as traditional fantasy dictates (Sort of like the Night Elves in WoW)

PHYSICAL APPEARANCE: (What you look like. I need sizes, shapes, differences between males/females (Unless they're asexual or something), coloration ranges of flesh/scales/hair/feathers/all of the above. Describe your race in detail.)

CULTURE AND IDEAS: (The "personality" of your race. How do they adapt to their location? What's their general outlook on life? What seems to be the big dream of the race? What does their culture value? How do they deal with criminals? ARE there criminals?)

ORIGIN: (Where'd they come from? You may name deities, but be warned that I may decide two of you have a different name for the same one)

LOCATION: Here's the interesting thing: You'll be starting as a fledgling civilization, starting off in any type of location you feel like. You may determine what the physical landscape is like locally and what sort of non-sapient life is in the region. Animals, plants, et cetera. How do you interact with these animals and plants? Do not create anything intelligent, as they will be other players for the time being.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
YOU DO NOT NEED TO WRITE A BOOK.
Just like real concepts and ideas developed over time, you don't need to be too descriptive about your culture or location to begin with. Just give me a general FEEL for the race, so I know how to describe it as time goes by. Know that if you decide to make a new development, I'll run with it as soon as I get wind of it.

ANY QUESTIONS AND SUGGESTIONS CAN BE POSTED HERE
I'll answer when I can, and it's just more convenient to have a "FAQ" of sorts.

• Suggests the birth of an abomination
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: Our Fantasy World
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 01:16:00 AM »
I must ask about "mixed-blood" races?  Ala "halves", pre-4e Tieflings, and the such.
<+Nama-EmblemOfFire> ...Have the GhebFE guy and the ostian princess guy collaborate.
 <@Elecman> Seems reasonable.

Veryslightlymad

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 03:31:04 AM »
I haven't decided how to do that, yet. The thing about half-anything, is you're supposed to be starting off at the inception of your race. So as there currently ARE no races other than human, being half-anything seems like a stretch.

You're supposed to be making something with its entire society intact. I guess you can make some assumptions that your race has some extraordinary origins and some human background, but why are they considered an entirely separate RACE? Where do they live if not with humans?

I still haven't decided exactly how I want this game to go. It's mostly something that sprang forth from my brow, but not yet fully formed. If others have any suggestions for what they might like to see, I'm more than happy to hear it.

Veryslightlymad

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2008, 01:50:39 AM »
Anyone who has currently sent me information:

Thank you and relax; I'll get around to filling you in on additional details either later on tonight or sometime during the weekend.  This week was heavy with take-home assignments, house-sitting for my sister while she's on her Honeymoon, and repeatedly failing to go out with a girl who obviously wants me. (Probably. Everyone else seems to think so.)

Anyone else who is interested, please think something up really quick. The more, the merrier. Also, since you're starting in specific locations of the fantasy world, the more people who decide to send me races, the faster you guys will interact with one another. It'll be fun. Probably.

As always, suggestions for what you'd like to see me do with this vague idea are welcome. Feel free to post any questions or concerns as well.

Veryslightlymad

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2008, 07:31:27 AM »
So I've decided that I don't have a good enough background in theoretical geography to make a realistic world out of random continents. As such, the actual world will be more or less like the world we know as far as shape and geography goes, although, obviously, there are no actual real-world countries or whatever, and the shapes will be superficially different. Just trying to say that there'll be some west continents and east continents.

I'll get around describing the geography of the regions you're in, and what, if any cultures (including human) you'll be interacting with shortly. I'm kind of fried after a surprisingly active weekend, but I'll get it fairly soon.

THIS DOES NOT CLOSE THE GAME/EXPERIMENT. Anyone who still wants in need only PM me.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2008, 06:40:17 AM »
Were I to build a fantasy world (which I probably wouldn't, but I make make something ala Arcanum) I would have one rule:

NO GODDAMN ELVES.

I hate Elves. I've hated elves in everything they've ever appeared in. Elves are that rich kid you knew in High School. Their rich dad gives them everything, but they think THEY mean something because of it.

Strago

• Denizen
  • Scarfregist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2008, 01:58:38 PM »
I knew there was some reason I liked Rob. There it is.

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2008, 11:52:08 PM »
I think that was the biggest complaint most people had about the Lord of the Rings movies - they made elves look cool.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2008, 05:41:35 AM »
Well, the only thing that Fantasy novels DIDN'T copy from Lord of the Rings is that the Elves are portrayed genuinely sympathetically, without all the hubris that generally accompanies Elves. They realize that, as a static race that still exists exactly as they did when they were created by the Valar, they have no choice but to simply go along with fate. That's why the mortal races are so important.

Most fantasy misses this part, and makes them out to be races who were uplifted by a higher power and were given a whole society, and then proceed to look down on other races for their "destructive ways" because they actually have to WORK to build a civilization. The Night Elves of WarCraft are a good example of this: they have a method that extracts lumber from trees without harming them. When other races need lumber, they don't offer to teach them, they just flip out.

Veryslightlymad

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2008, 09:50:43 AM »
Sorry about the delay.

Replies with story or question prompts have been sent to every individual that has written me so far. This is still open for new folk who wish to join in.

If you have questions or suggestions, you can, as always, post them here, but if you'd rather not let others know you're playing, you can PM me and I'll PUBLICLY AND ANONYMOUSLY ask your question for you and answer it. I'm still not clear on how much information I should release to the world at large right yet, since this is a really undefined, random idea and I'm flying by the seat of my pants.

Classes are ending soon, so hopefully I can more reliably send you guys messages in the future. Thanks a bunch for being so patient, I hope I can turn this experiment into something nifty.

Veryslightlymad

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2008, 08:44:17 PM »
Why I stopped:

Well, interest more or less died. I only had six people send me races in the first place, and I only had three of them send me a second thing. I can... I dunno. I have time to keep doing this, but there doesn't seem to be any interest in it. I really liked the idea, but I just dunno how to make it functional. Any of you guys have anything you want to say? There's got to be a way to make a fine gaming experience out of this, so I'm not quite prepared to give up.

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2008, 01:50:38 AM »
Well since you have yet to tell us what KIND of gaming experience this is going to be...

Seriously, is it a RP, combat, or what?  We can't really feed you ideas because we don't know what you're doing with it.