Register

Author Topic: Robot Master Tournament Week 1!  (Read 1645 times)

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Robot Master Tournament Week 1!
« on: October 11, 2008, 05:53:34 PM »
You knew this was coming eventually!

Anyway, its quite simple; I took the 78 Robot Masters from the Mega Man Classic series; this includes Mega Man & Bass, but none of the other "spin offs" cause, well, only MM&B have new Robot masters that end in "Man" and such.  I assure you; these matches were entirely Hatbotted based on their numerical values (MM&B was just 72+their own specific number, the 2 MMPU Robot Masters not having numbers merely replaced Mega Man and Roll on the list to make life easier.)

So what Criteria to vote on? That's for you to decide!  Apply whatever you know about Mega Man to figure out who wins the fight!  Weakness hitting, has a fighting style that massacres the other, what have you!  Try to avoid things like "harder boss!", please, as well as "CUTER!!!"

Note that you don't necessarily have to have seen the Robot Master in action to vote on it; you can just look up their element, weakness, etc. and determine whether they win or lose based on that.  I do this since some MM games aren't as well played as others.

This has only 64 slots open, so 14 Robot Masters had to be snubbed.  If it seems like a certain someone never had a chance, that's why.  And again, I swear, these were entirely Hatbotted.

For Astro Man, Tengu Man and all the MM1 Robot Masters, you can vote based on either of their forms, given the former two appear in both MM8 and MM&B, the latter set have a remake form, with New Style and Old Style mode, etc.  I suppose if you really wanted, you could vote on Gameboy versions or MM Power Battle/Power Fighters 2 forms or whatever...JUST NOT MEGA MAN BATTLE NETWORK FORMS! These are Robot Masters, NOT Navis <_<

Anyway, here's the first batch!

Snake Man (MM3) vs. Freeze Man (MM7)
Napalm Man (MM5) vs. Needle Man (MM3)
Centaur Man (MM6) vs. Gutsman (MM1/PU)
Magic Man (MM&B) vs. Astro Man (MM8/&B)

Charge Man (MM5) vs. Cutman (MM1)
Elecman (MM1) vs. Turbo Man (MM7)
Heat Man (MM2) vs. Tornado Man (MM9)
Flame Man (MM6) vs. Drill Man (MM4)
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
Re: Robot Master Tournament Week 1!
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2008, 08:18:28 PM »
Snake Man (MM3) vs. Freeze Man (MM7) - For the love of god, this is a horrible slaughter.
Magic Man (MM&B) vs. Astro Man (MM8/&B) - Both are jokes from what I remember. Caveat? MAGIC MAN HITS A WEAKNESS ON MM8&B ASTRO MAN. Well, and Astro Man fails harder in both forms. >_>

Elecman (MM1) vs. Turbo Man (MM7) - Both are obnoxious, going for the one who 3HKOs you and your mother.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2008, 10:04:33 PM »
Snake Man (MM3) vs. Freeze Man (MM7): Uh neither is very good, but I am freely voting for the one I remember better.
Napalm Man (MM5) vs. Needle Man (MM3): Gut says that after trading a few blows, Needle closes in and uses that HEAD-SMASH-DEATH thing he does so well.
Centaur Man (MM6) vs. Gutsman (MM1/PU): Gutsman is pretty lol. Centaur Man freezes him and stuff.
Magic Man (MM&B) vs. Astro Man (MM8/&B)

Charge Man (MM5) vs. Cutman (MM1): Cutman durability.
Elecman (MM1) vs. Turbo Man (MM7): Can I vote for Elecman just because he's Elecman?
Heat Man (MM2) vs. Tornado Man (MM9): Can Heat Man even hit Tornado Man when he's in the air? Does Tornado Man hitting weakness on his own game's Heat Man clone translate to instant win? Does the fact that Tornado Man is a better boss with better durability factor in? Does it matter in the end? I dunno.
Flame Man (MM6) vs. Drill Man (MM4): Close fight. Both attack pretty rapidly, except when Drill goes underground, which is moot. Mm... slight edge to Drill, his non-spam-attack stuff is more likely to result in success than Flame's.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Chisa

• 1.4 Y on the creepy meter
  • Denizen
  • When reality becomes irrelevant, mankind ends.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2008, 02:55:24 AM »
Snake Man (MM3) vs. Freeze Man (MM7) - The boss version of Search Snakes can be destroyed, right?  That's game.
Napalm Man (MM5) vs. Needle Man (MM3) - Good match.  Napalm hits harder from range and has better mobility, but his missiles get evaded by Needle's jump 'n shoot.  And if he tries to get in close to use his bombs, he's eating head spikes.
Centaur Man (MM6) vs. Gutsman (MM1/PU) - Centaur Man loses to impact from Knight Man's mace.  Guts Man has even heavier things to hit him with.  This is what happens when Miss Mikami has no PSP.  Guts Man being weak against time/paralysis in PU kinda turns this around.
Magic Man (MM&B) vs. Astro Man (MM8/&B) - Weakness hype + one of the most fail RMs IMO.

Charge Man (MM5) vs. Cutman (MM1) - Once again, a boss weak against impact faces an RM that smashes things.  That it's his face he's smashing with is immaterial.
Elecman (MM1) vs. Turbo Man (MM7) - Huge damage.  Vertical coverage.  Speed.  Jumping.  And I think he can take a couple scorch wheels.  CHAMP.
Heat Man (MM2) vs. Tornado Man (MM9) - *splat*
Flame Man (MM6) vs. Drill Man (MM4) - Made up my mind.  Mindgames can apply equally to either side, so I'm going with the one who can hit more reliably without relying on them by attacking when Drill pops up.  And if Drill doesn't dig, Flame can just spam fire walls and *dink* his drill bombs.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 05:16:56 PM by Chisa »
FAIR WARNING: Inside my head, every day is May 7th, 986.

• Suggests the birth of an abomination
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2008, 08:31:34 PM »
Snake Man (MM3) vs. Freeze Man (MM7) - Search Snakes can be destroyed, and Snake Man has a weakness to Needle Cannon, which...fires sharp pointy things.  Guess what the ceiling icicles are.
Napalm Man (MM5) vs. Needle Man (MM3) Headspikes are rape.  I don't quite remember Napalm Man being as surprisingly mobile.
Centaur Man (MM6) vs. Gutsman (MM1/PU) - Low Gutsman respect in general.  Weak to impact, but...hn.  I swear I remember Centaur Man teleporting.
Magic Man (MM&B) vs. Astro Man (MM8/&B) - Hits weakness in-game against someone who ISN'T Dynamo Man (Astral Copy is better for a defense than an actual weakness).  This is a slaughter.

Charge Man (MM5) vs. Cutman (MM1) - Cutman is lol.  Charge Man has invincibility on his fast charge.  Enough said.
Elecman (MM1) vs. Turbo Man (MM7) - Elec Beam FUCKING HURTS.  Enough said.
Heat Man (MM2) vs. Tornado Man (MM9) - RMs tend to be strong to the weapon of the RM their weapon beats.  Heat Man doesn't stand a chance based on this.
Flame Man (MM6) vs. Drill Man (MM4) - Drill Man can hide.  And I swear he has invincibility phases at some point, though I might be mistaken.  Tunneling is enough to beat Flame Man, though.
<+Nama-EmblemOfFire> ...Have the GhebFE guy and the ostian princess guy collaborate.
 <@Elecman> Seems reasonable.

Sir Donald 3.2

• Wanting some Kingdom conquering
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2008, 12:59:49 AM »
You knew this was coming eventually!

No, I didn't.  If I did, then I would've tried to get in on the seeding.  The Dr. Wily to your Dr. Light, as it were.

I also would've started by using Eddie (i.e. Hatbot, but go with the theme here) to make 13 pools of 6 (like in the original game).  The chief constraint would be no 2 RMs from the same (mainline) game in the same pool.  (Arcades and GB/GG games wouldn't count in the seeding.) 

Note that you don't necessarily have to have seen the Robot Master in action to vote on it; you can just look up their element, weakness, etc. and determine whether they win or lose based on that.  I do this since some MM games aren't as well played as others.

Interesting, because I was comparing weaknesses to elements of some Nintendo RPGs.  Don't ask where I got that crazy idea.  Please.  Just don't.

This has only 64 slots open, so 14 Robot Masters had to be snubbed.  If it seems like a certain someone never had a chance, that's why.  And again, I swear, these were entirely Hatbotted.

That makes me want to take those 14 snubbed Robot Masters and go Dr. Wily on your rear!  And the Surviving Contenders once they reach the "Sweet 16"!  (If you want to take that bent, you can Eddie (Hatbot) the pairings)

Anyway...  Assuming Dr. Wily put in some actual AI this time.

Snake Man (MM3) vs. Freeze Man (MM7)  I'm assuming neutral field, so Freeze's Icicles are out.  That having been said, Freeze Man can still freeze the floor.  Kills the Searchers, but Snake Man himself can Jump out of harm's way.  Still, that's his only ammo, and again, neutral field = no big column in the center.  Freeze by Attrition
Napalm Man (MM5) vs. Needle Man (MM3)  Needle has a slight mobility advantage in the height of his jumps; and the fact that Napalm Man only has ground-attack weaponry.  Needle by Attrition.
Centaur Man (MM6) vs. Gutsman (MM1/PU)  Gutsy's vulnerable to the Time Slow in PU.  Centaur Man has Centaur Flash (Time) Standard.  And his twinking around the room can get around any boulders that Gutsy tosses his way.  Bad Draw here...
Magic Man (MM&B) vs. Astro Man (MM8/&B)  But this is 10 Times Worse!  A Same-Game Weakness Hit! 
*Flies in in Saucer to claim Astro Man's battered remains as #15 on the Wily team.* 
*Wiggles Eyebrows*

Charge Man (MM5) vs. Cutman (MM1)  The burning coals from Charge Man's 2nd attack trigger a Game Boy 1 weakness (Fire).  BTW, Cutman being weak to the Plasma Cannon only helps other RMs with Plasma Cannons (includes Gemini Man) and Splash Woman  (Her and Gemini I count as having a "Laser" Element).
Elecman (MM1) vs. Turbo Man (MM7)  According to the Mega Man Home Page (a long running fan site) Turbo Man takes no damage from Thunder Bolt (resembles more Spark Shock than Thunder Beam, but same element.)  Elec Man takes 3 damage from Fire Storm in PU and 1 Damage in all other mainline forms.  So, Turbo nulls Electric, Elec is normal to Fire.  Another Bad Draw for the Proto-Lights.
Heat Man (MM2) vs. Tornado Man (MM9)  Er... Heat Man has a contemporary that uses a Wind attack too.  Heat only takes 2 damage from the Air Shooter (Difficult Mode), which is the same as the Plasma Cannon.  So, it's more of a durability issue than "OMG!  Tornadoez hits Weekness!!!1111" beacuse he doesn't.  Heat Man is weak to Water.  Not Wind.  The Lightbot beats the Wilybot because Heat Man has bad construction.   BTW, Neutral Field = No Spikes on Ceiling.
Flame Man (MM6) vs. Drill Man (MM4)  Again, burrowing is innate.  But Flame Man's Secondary goes throughout the stage.  Still, Drill's invulnerable even when partially buried.  Meh... And unlike the above 2 matches, Flame Man doesn't have an explosive counterpart; and neither does Drill have a... well, some would say that Pharaoh Man is Fire-Based, so... 1 regular, 3 charged = Mega Buster = Normal Damage.  Abstain.  This could go either way, based almost entirely on how well Flame Man would fake-out Drill Man's resurfacing.