Author Topic: Allowing storebought damage magic in the DL  (Read 11751 times)

Sir Donald 3.2

• Wanting some Kingdom conquering
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: Allowing storebought damage magic in the DL
« Reply #75 on: December 04, 2009, 07:14:08 PM »
A little late to this party, but I have a question re: A game that I'm never going to play:

Storebought Suikoden Runes:  Do they start with all of their respective skills?

Or do they only have a starting skill and others learned over time, ala FF7 Materia? 

(As a point of fact, I would be in favor of allowing any FF7 PC any storebought materia at 0 AP.  (Aeris would only have storeboughts as of Temple of Ancients.  Also, some game-breaking exceptions may apply, i.e. that mega-spell Materia you get in Mideel if it's storebought.  Also, probably would not allow most "Independent" Materia (Purple), no Summons are Storebought, and the only "Support" (Blue) Materia that is storebought is "All", IIRC.)  Currently allowed Materia would be allowed at full strength.  Of course, most Materia have Stat changes that balance their use; the stat changes would have to be documented...)

If Suiko runes are like Materia in the aspect that you have to gain AP to unlock skills, we could limit storebought runes to their base level.  If not... well...

Quick Note Regarding Pokemon:  Allowing Surf would give Water Starters an attack for longer fights with the same equivalent damage.  (Most healers can outlast Hydro Pump's clip of 5 attacks.)  Allowing Strength gives Pikachu an actual Physical Damage option which would not only not have Thunderbolt's Stab+Light Ball's SAtk Bonus, but also loses First Strike (vs QA)

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #76 on: December 05, 2009, 02:51:38 AM »
Suikoden magic runes allow access to -all- abilities contained in a rune provided the user has enough INT/MP to cast it. No AP-building required.

For Materia, this topic was only discussing the possibility of allowing -damage- magic. So anything like Purple/Blue materia isn't even considered. Hell, most Green Materia aren't even being considered here due to having non-damage effects (Restore, Transform, etc.) .

Pokemon: Huh. Yeah, I guess the HMs count as far as 'easily obtainable' goes. Surf is obviously part of this. Strength is one I hadn't thought about, since it's not magical... but I guess it makes sense to allow it to Pikachu so that it gets a basic -physical-... >.>;;

alanna82

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 17, 2009, 12:02:01 AM »
I allow Grandia Mana Eggs since there are enough to go around even for Sue and each egg does not give the same abilites to others. I allow Asellus Mystic magic since she starts with the gift for it, but no spells. (not that it really makes a difference)

FF1 I allow all storebought magic.

All others games are no's. Except Artea in Lufia 2 gets Zap since he is the only one that can buy it.