Register

Author Topic: General Media Discussion Topic  (Read 928 times)

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
General Media Discussion Topic
« on: January 11, 2009, 02:53:08 AM »
Okay, so this was mostly super's idea. But, in an IM conversation, I started talking about my field of interest in future studies - the effects of internet phenomenons such as memetic mutation and the decentralization of newsmaking in high-scale communication - and it turned into a general conversation about the field of communication, particularly the journalistic industry, its direction, its problems and its possibilities. I've a lot of interest on the subject, but not too much information other than simple theory-making from casual observation. For an idea, I think this excerpt for the conversation can be a decent starter.

[00:28] <Hello-WheelchairWaddleDee> Well.
[00:28] <Hello-WheelchairWaddleDee> The journalist medium is an industry, right?
[00:29] <Hello-WheelchairWaddleDee> It's also an industry with very close ties to political power.
[00:29] <superaielman> Oh.
[00:29] <Hello-WheelchairWaddleDee> When the main instrument of power of an industry leaks into the public widespread, how can it maintain its power and relevance?
[00:30] <superaielman> The days of the gentlemen's agreement are long over. Where it goes from here is interesting. All this news doesn't mean it's good or even informative news.
[00:30] <Hello-WheelchairWaddleDee> Exactly.
[00:31] <Hello-WheelchairWaddleDee> The immediate effect is that the industry-given news now have to fight for space with news that aren't any more or less informative or good in practice, since the journalistic credo of objectivity simply doesn't pan out in reality.
[00:31] <superaielman> MAYBE IT'LL BE LIKE JOHNNY MEMONIC!!!
[00:32] * Hello-WheelchairWaddleDee burns Keanu Reeves.
[00:32] <Hello-WheelchairWaddleDee> Ahem.
[00:33] <Hello-WheelchairWaddleDee> But the bottom line is that, with its main instruments leaked into the public, and little to no backup to maintain a stranglehold, the very purpose of journalism becomes hard to justify, especially considering how much it deviated from its intent back in the French Revolution.
[00:33] <superaielman> I think there's going to be a market for good, objective news in the end of the day. WHy has CNN's ratings gone up in recent years?
[00:34] <Hello-WheelchairWaddleDee> Oh, I certainly can agree.
[00:34] <Hello-WheelchairWaddleDee> However, the role of journalism also has to be rethought.
[00:34] <Hello-WheelchairWaddleDee> It can't be just provide news anymore.
[00:34] <Hello-WheelchairWaddleDee> And it'll also need to reconsider how strongly it borrows from other study fields.
[00:35] <superaielman> More than ever it has to provide news from a trustworthy source. Crediblity can be blown in a day and takes decades to build up.

This excerpt sorta sums up my questionings in a surface level. I think that the consideration on rethinking the role of the news industry is pretty big a deal - something it needed to do decades ago, and still struggles to even begin without hitting stumps - for starters, many don't even consider journalism a scientific study field, and it academically suffers from its heavily hybrid nature - it borrows elements from literature, history, philosophy, sociology and politics, but doesn't seem to create its own body easily.

Then, there are the matter-of-fact issues on the actual newsgiving: credibility? Freedom of choice over news? The responsibility on the portrayal (or reshaping, at a logical extreme) of reality to a public that now has the possibility to use the same tools as the industry to create the same effect, only without the same sense of scale? There's a lot of stuff to think about, and it often gets blurred. And the new media puts the very purpose of journalism in check - why have a field to the passing of news when this is now highly accessible to an uneducated citizen?

So, yeah, I'm mostly throwing this out for gathering ideas, thoughts and theories on the overall post-modern media subject. Hope it's not too vague, and that this gets some interest.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
Re: General Media Discussion Topic
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009, 07:59:05 AM »
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/11/washington/11iran.html?_r=1&hp

Israel wants to bomb Iran but the US balks.  The Catholic church has systematically covered up hundreds of instances of sexual abuse by priests.  The government illegally spied on tens of thousands of Americans without warrants for years.

Big stories take one or both of the following: high-ranking insider sources or lots and lots of legwork.  These are things you need big, centralized companies for.  Blogs are nice and all, but there are precious few of them that do significant original reporting.

hm.  Got lots to say on this topic, but not at 3 am.
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
Re: General Media Discussion Topic
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009, 09:50:26 AM »
I have three things to say.

Hunter S. Thompson. 

He was doing it right.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.