Author Topic: PlotPower Tourney S6 Week3! Lunar vs. BoF seems familiar somehow...  (Read 2052 times)

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
And Last Week's results!

Godlike:
Alucard vs. Zerase 8-2
X vs. Mother Brain 2-3
Ultimecia vs. Raidou 1-5
Silmeria vs. TimeLord 1-13

Heavy:
Alundra vs. Beatrice 8-2
Axel vs. Emeralda 2-6
Prier vs. Sarah 5-5 (cointoss tiebreak)
Kevin vs. Ernst 7-4

Middle:
Ursula vs. Rebecca 10-1
Rikku vs. Jessica 1-12
Paula vs. Namine 7-2
Rita vs. Fran 6-0

Light:
Dog vs. Hanpan 10-1
Mist vs. Toadstool 8-4
Lowe vs. Skye 1-8
Nina vs. Shiho 4-9

With no IRC available at work, I had to resort to the primitive means of 'flipping a coin' to determine the outcome between two equal events. It's like I'm going backwards in time. I might as well be using a corded phone. Thanks a lot, Prier and Sarah.
Also, apparently there's a smaller number of DL voters who know both MMXCM and PSII than there are people who have played FF12 and ToV. That surprises me a bit.

Anyway, this week's exciting matches!

Johnny Garland (SH3) vs. Dart (LoD)
Lucia (Lunar2) vs. Ryu3 (BoF3)
Alucard (Castlevanias) vs. Mother Brain (PS2)
Raidou Kuzunoha (SMT:DevilSummoners) vs. TimeLord (SaGaF)

Argilla (DDS) vs. Geno (SMRPG)
Hugo Hewitt (WA4) vs. Cecelia (WA1)
Alundra (Alundra) vs. Emeralda (XG)
Prier (LP:T) vs. Kevin (SD3)

Dryst (Brig) vs. Deneb (OB)
Zelos Wilder (ToS) vs. Garet (GS)
Ursula (BoF4) vs. Jessica (MK:AAR)
Paula (EB) vs. Rita Mordio (ToV)

Roger Bacon (SHs) vs. Leena (CC)
Alfred Schroedinger (WA3) vs. Poco (AtLs)
Dog (Secret of Evermore) vs. Mist (FE9)
Skye (Grandia2) vs. Shiho (VP1)

With any luck, everyone's names are spelled correctly this week... >.>;;

And a question for you guys who diligently follow this tourney:

Should there be stricter rules for how to interpret a duelist?

Right now, interps are pretty free form and all over the place. Some people take into account a duelist's environment when they duel (Ultimecia's timewarp), some limit a duelist to the bare minimum of their abilities (No one mentioned that Tia actually -uses- magic while Roger Bacon never does anything oriented towards offense). Some people allow a duelist formchoice (thinking Prier here), while others hold them to only their DL-ranked forms (thinking X here). Some people only give credit for unique abilities (like Edgar's tools, but not the Espers), while others get hyped for something their whole cast uses (Virginia was getting all kinds of Medium hype).

I don't have a problem setting more rigid rules for this, but I generally preferred giving people more choices. It just makes it difficult figuring out which divisions characters belong in.

Happy voting!

Pyro

• Denizen
  • Mwahahaha
    • View Profile
Re: PlotPower Tourney S6 Week3! Lunar vs. BoF seems familiar somehow...
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 07:46:01 AM »
Nah, part of the fun is seeing the different takes on it all. It'd be kind of wrong to enforce one view or another.

Johnny Garland (SH3) vs. Dart (LoD): Awaker is pretty badass.
Lucia (Lunar2) vs. Ryu3 (BoF3): Uh. World goes boom. Anyways, I think outside the world-destroying powers Ryu3 can win it. Lucia had problems actually going through with the world-destroying part so that closes that..

Argilla (DDS) vs. Geno (SMRPG): Isn't flesh and blood so Argilla's desire to eat him will be minimal at best. Without that, she lacks the proper incentive to win!
Hugo Hewitt (WA4) vs. Cecelia (WA1): I suppose.
Alundra (Alundra) vs. Emeralda (XG): Now that he isn't spoiling... Alundra is a pretty generic adventure hero. One who falls prey to the fact that Emeralda is a very not-generic android thing that can make herself into whatever form she deems most fitting for removing his head from his body.
Prier (LP:T) vs. Kevin (SD3): Male.

Dryst (Brig) vs. Deneb (OB): I don't think Deneb's power was really her own in that regard?
Ursula (BoF4) vs. Jessica (MK:AAR): Particularly explosive-loving alchemist seems a little more powerful than your standard lower ranked CO.
Paula (EB) vs. Rita Mordio (ToV): Rita Mordio is a monstrosity.

Roger Bacon (SHs) vs. Leena (CC): I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt.
Alfred Schroedinger (WA3) vs. Poco (AtLs): Poco is a bit of an idiot but he's shown to be a capable idiot. He blows up a wall and is generally implied to be more powerful than your average kid.
Dog (Secret of Evermore) vs. Mist (FE9): Metal dog is practically an armor plated monster to Mist.
Skye (Grandia2) vs. Shiho (VP1): I can totally see him eating her familiar bird thing and then dropping her off a cliff.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 07:47:50 AM by Pyro »

Lurkerson

• Denizen
  • Punii punii
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 08:55:30 AM »
Johnny Garland (SH3) vs. Dart (LoD) - I suppose I shouldn't really vote on this one as I didn't play past the end of the third disk in LoD so Dart might have some plot power I never saw, but still... I'm thinking that Johnny's Awaker form has the upper hand here.
Lucia (Lunar2) vs. Ryu3 (BoF3) - Lucia, while powerful, couldn't quite be considered a god from what I recall, and as the Brood's power was something that even a god feared I'm gonna give this one to Ryu.
Raidou Kuzunoha (SMT:DevilSummoners) vs. TimeLord (SaGaF) - while Raidou had a way to counter Ultimecia's Time Compression I don't think that there's much he can do about TimeLord's magic.

Hugo Hewitt (WA4) vs. Cecelia (WA1) - unfortunately for her, Cecelia does not come close to having Raquel's reflexes.  This means she's gonna get skewered.

Zelos Wilder (ToS) vs. Garet (GS) - potential Chosen hype
Ursula (BoF4) vs. Jessica (MK:AAR) - I think Jessica is a bit more powerful then Ursula, but Ursula is a lot more aggressive and she might nail Jess before she knew what hit her.  I'll have to wait for some arguments on this one.
Paula (EB) vs. Rita Mordio (ToV) - yeah... I don't think telepathy and prayer are gonna do much for Paula here.

Roger Bacon (SHs) vs. Leena (CC) - Dirty Old Man vs. Girl Next Door.  Either way this ain't gonna end pretty.

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 09:57:00 AM »
Lucia (Lunar2) vs. Ryu3 (BoF3) - Eh, while neither of them are top tier powers in their world, Ryu is considered enough of one for the powers that be to try and eliminate him.

Hugo Hewitt (WA4) vs. Cecelia (WA1) - By the time Cecilia can figure out his trick, it'll be too late.

Dryst (Brig) vs. Deneb (OB) - Dryst commands armies, Deneb makes them.
Zelos Wilder (ToS) vs. Garet (GS) - I really don't respect the title Chosen of Tethealla at all.
Ursula (BoF4) vs. Jessica (MK:AAR) - Eh, trained and competant officer > talented alchemical student.

Roger Bacon (SHs) vs. Leena (CC) - Immortal warlock vs. village girl.
Dog (Secret of Evermore) vs. Mist (FE9) - Eh, never played SoE, but, Mist is at least a Middle to me, so I hope she wins.  Not that she'll beat Roger Bacon.
Skye (Grandia2) vs. Shiho (VP1) - Skye makes one personal marginally better.  Shiho makes armies badass.

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2009, 01:35:46 PM »
Lucia (Lunar2) vs. Ryu3 (BoF3) - Uh... sure.

Alundra (Alundra) vs. Emeralda (XG) - Easy enough.  Alundra's more spoilerish than anything else and he can't spoil here.

Dryst (Brig) vs. Deneb (OB) - Hm, fairly good match.

Roger Bacon (SHs) vs. Leena (CC) - Centuries-old warlock beats ordinary village girl.

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2009, 02:22:13 PM »
Just noticing that Cecelia -does- have fair claim to the Guardian of Time, so she might have a shot here. Depends on whether she's smart enough to use it before Hugo gets her.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2009, 02:45:02 PM »
Johnny Garland (SH3) vs. Dart (LoD): Kneejerk.  Good fight, but I'm thinking Divine Dragoon > Johnny's Haxness.
Lucia (Lunar2) vs. Ryu3 (BoF3): Myria isn't too dissimilar to Lucia in power, and Ryu was suppose to be able to stand up to her, with the power Infinity.  When in doubt, the usual BoF Dragons > Gods clause kicks in.
Alucard (Castlevanias) vs. Mother Brain (PS2): Mother Brain's Plot Power is fairly meager where it counts here.  Yes, she CONTROLS CLIMATE...on ONE PLANET.  She doesn't do it in Dezo, for starters.  Next off, she's clearly not much in terms of fighting prowess; after all, the game seemed to treat her as just "take her down so we can move on" where as Dark Force they went out of their way to say "YOU NEED A LEGENDARY SWORD."  Alucard should be able to handle ita s a resiult.
Raidou Kuzunoha (SMT:DevilSummoners) vs. TimeLord (SaGaF): I can't vote, but heh to him fighting 2 Time Manipulating characters.

Argilla (DDS) vs. Geno (SMRPG): Geno's got the whole Star Guardian schtick, think that's more power than a typical DDS Demon.
Hugo Hewitt (WA4) vs. Cecelia (WA1): Cecilia displays little plot power throughout the game beyond talking to Mediums, and otherwise, she's just a talented Crest Mage.  Hugo's not someone she can take as a result.
Alundra (Alundra) vs. Emeralda (XG): Can't vote.
Prier (LP:T) vs. Kevin (SD3): I really don't remember Prier having any real plot power beyond being skilled at what she is (which is pretty strong, mind; skilled Demon Hunter and all that.)  Kevin...the game hypes his fighting prowess BEFORE he can transform into a Werewolf, in a country where strength means everything. 

Dryst (Brig) vs. Deneb (OB): If nothing else, Dryst beats her in experience.
Zelos Wilder (ToS) vs. Garet (GS): Zelos was just a human with some magical powers, those inferior to what most natural magic users (Elves) could use.  Garet is a Fire Adept, and they get lots of respect in game.  The "Chosen" thing with Zelos doesn't seem to do much since he didn't get all that massive plot upgrades Colette did.
Ursula (BoF4) vs. Jessica (MK:AAR): In raw strength, the two probably aren't that far apart...but Ursula's a trained military officer, Jessica's just got a few years of alchemy school as far as her experience goes.  I'm pretty sure Ursula wins in experience where it counts.
Paula (EB) vs. Rita Mordio (ToV): I stand by Paula doesn't show much special in the way of powers beyond some Telepathy.  Branching from that, the game indicates Rita's pretty much the best mage in her town DESPITE her age, and is somewhat of a child prodigy.  Plus she knocks things out with Fireballs in plot like its nothing (I seem to recall her taking on small groups of soldiers single handledly, though, generic NPC Soldiers are like BOTTOM TIER for plot power by RPG CLiche rules <.<)

Roger Bacon (SHs) vs. Leena (CC): Roger Bacon is a skilled warlock...but he doesn't seem to have any sort of BATTLE Prowess.  Its more just knowledge in forbidden arcane arts.  Also, if his first scene in SHC is any indication, he's vulnerable to smacks on the head...and Leena uses a Fryin Pan <_<
Alfred Schroedinger (WA3) vs. Poco (AtLs): Kneejerk, good fight.  Poco does have some mild military experience and some INSTRUMENTS OF DEATH, but Alfred has Dynamite...yeah, could go either way.
Dog (Secret of Evermore) vs. Mist (FE9): Laser Beam Firing Toaster > Mist.
Skye (Grandia2) vs. Shiho (VP1): Shiho actually has some combat ability, Skye can...lift things up for RYUDO to smack...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2009, 03:11:14 PM »
Alucard (Castlevanias) vs. Mother Brain (PS2)- evil overlord is just the thing Alucard is built to beat.

Rest later.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

alanna82

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2009, 06:40:22 PM »

Alucard (Castlevanias) vs. Mother Brain (PS2)

Prier (LP:T) vs. Kevin (SD3)

Ursula (BoF4) vs. Jessica (MK:AAR)

Roger Bacon (SHs) vs. Leena (CC)- Bacon is not a light
Alfred Schroedinger (WA3) vs. Poco (AtLs)
Dog (Secret of Evermore) vs. Mist (FE9)- Dog changes form based on worlds, in FE9 world, Dog would be a Laguz, which beat Mist. Dog is only Toaster Dog for one world, not plot power! His plot power is changing forms!
Skye (Grandia2) vs. Shiho (VP1)

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2009, 06:55:26 PM »
Johnny Garland (SH3) vs. Dart (LoD): Beats down Godlikes easily enough. You'd need more of a world-altering power to fight Johnny, and Dart's not there.
Lucia (Lunar2) vs. Ryu3 (BoF3): Powers are better defined? Sure.

Argilla (DDS) vs. Geno (SMRPG): I agree with Pyro's argument here.
Hugo Hewitt (WA4) vs. Cecelia (WA1): I agree with Lurkerson's argument here.

Ursula (BoF4) vs. Jessica (MK:AAR): Trained military officer vs. schoolgirl. Don't think any explosions are making up for that, sorry.

Roger Bacon (SHs) vs. Leena (CC): Agreed that Roger is pretty poor at combat, but I think he can cook up something here.
Skye (Grandia2) vs. Shiho (VP1): Skye is Granas. Keep up, people.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2009, 07:19:34 PM »
Alucard (Castlevanias) vs. Mother Brain (PS2)- No vote.
Raidou Kuzunoha (SMT:DevilSummoners) vs. TimeLord (SaGaF)- No vote.

Argilla (DDS) vs. Geno (SMRPG)
Hugo Hewitt (WA4) vs. Cecelia (WA1)- Hum.  Yeah, Ceci can't really win alone.
Alundra (Alundra) vs. Emeralda (XG)- No vote.
Prier (LP:T) vs. Kevin (SD3)- No vote again.

Dryst (Brig) vs. Deneb (OB)- Nope.
Zelos Wilder (ToS) vs. Garet (GS)- Hum.  Garet probably has a slight edge in raw power, but Zelos is too much smarter (you can have a pretty low opinion of Zelos and still this would be true)
Ursula (BoF4) vs. Jessica (MK:AAR)- Eh.  Ursula has little beyond "officer", Alchemists are painted as inherently special in the setting.
Paula (EB) vs. Rita Mordio (ToV)- No vote.

Roger Bacon (SHs) vs. Leena (CC)
Alfred Schroedinger (WA3) vs. Poco (AtLs)- No vote.
Dog (Secret of Evermore) vs. Mist (FE9)- No vote.  Hurray for the inverse relationship between obscurity and loses in board tourneys.
Skye (Grandia2) vs. Shiho (VP1)- Yeah, Skye's gonna show up to fight a minor God.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2009, 07:25:16 PM »
Re interpretations: I don't have a problem with letting people vote whichever way they want.  Indeed, it is part of the fun of the thing, since Plot Power is the place where it's entirely possible for one person to call a character a Light and another the same character a Godlike.

I do think that in certain cases it's fine to basically asterisk a character to note which form is being referred to.  For instance, Wiegraf/Velius rather than just "Wiegraf" makes it clear that the Zodiac transformation is legal if he wants it.  That's about it.

Unfortunately, as a result, respect splits can be pretty massive.  Take Penelo from FF12.  From her plot scenes, she's a random street urchin who becomes a budding Air Pirate.  High Light at best.  On the other hand, she also helps knock over hordes of monsters and can wield legendary weapons and might have Espers bound to her and under her control, which would make her a Heavy.  Meh.  Not sure if there's really a good answer for these type characters, aside from ranking them somewhere in the middle and hoping for the best.  (Relm was an example where the Light ranking didn't fly at all, since she has a much better claim to Magic / Espers than your average FF6 character being a Thamasan, for example.  Oops.)

Johnny Garland (SH3) vs. Dart (LoD) - Close.  They're both kinda naive, but have superpowered holy forms.  Tiebreaking by the fact that Dart's feels less limited - IIRC, he transforms permanently into the Divine Dragoon in the last battle, while Johnny has a plot-limit on how long he can stay Awakener.
Lucia (Lunar2) vs. Ryu3 (BoF3) - Obligatory Lucia anti-vote, Dragons > Goddess hype also sounds about right.
Alucard (Castlevanias) vs. Mother Brain (PS2) - Didn't beat PS2, still feel safe in voting on this match.  I'd imagine that the undead would be hard to manipulate anyway, not entirely being human or robot or anything, and Alucard has lots of plot firepower.

Hugo Hewitt (WA4) vs. Cecelia (WA1) - Cecilia is basically a godlike to me.  She's more than a competent crest mage; she's the Innocent One, Chosen by the Spirits, has unique magic all to herself, blah blah blah extreme Mary Sue.  Her Guardians have a wide-area nuke, she can probably convince a golem to pick her up and shield her, if Hugo tried to sneak up on her then spirits would warn her, etc.  And Yulie's summons nail Hugo in game.
Alundra (Alundra) vs. Emeralda (XG) - Yeah, Alundra is kind of a spoiler heavy.  Jude or Kresnik would win this match with Apoptosis!
Prier (LP:T) vs. Kevin (SD3) - Kevin is male, yes, but he can also TRANSFORM INTO A WEREWOLF.  I think that, like Yuri, this would mostly negate that weakness.

Zelos Wilder (ToS) vs. Garet (GS) - Reminder, guys: Zelos is a competent triple agent, and the playboy dilletante image is mostly just a mask.

Roger Bacon (SHs) vs. Leena (CC) - Bacon is more like a Middle to me, but he's well-established to be a bit of a pervert, and Leena's techs have names like "MaidenWhatever."  Bacon is too distracted to be at the top of his game here, as he probably tried to chat her up.
Alfred Schroedinger (WA3) vs. Poco (AtLs) - Good match, could go either way.
Dog (Secret of Evermore) vs. Mist (FE9) - Mist has a new pet, because she is a special pure friend of everyone and dogs look for companionship.
Skye (Grandia2) vs. Shiho (VP1) - Come on guys, the outcome of this match is obvious: they become friends and Shiho has a new bird familiar.  The only question is, who does that count as a win for?  The minor goddess or the piece of the God helping her?  See above match's logic.

Also, DHE...  remind me.  Does Skye ever exhibit any godly powers aside from amazing powers of lift and the ability to talk?

Yoshiken

• Denizen
  • Yay!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2009, 09:45:06 PM »
Only one I can vote on...

Zelos Wilder (ToS) vs. Garet (GS) - Yeah, this isn't even close to being close. Zelos is said to be a skilled warrior, is 'the Chosen' -and- always has a way of getting the upper-hand, regardless of situation. Garet is an Adept. And supposedly a pretty dumb one at that. Zelos could probably win this match through intelligence alone. (As has been said, yes, he's intelligent; most of the pretty-boy stupidity is just an act.)

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2009, 04:22:52 AM »
Closes in a few hours!