Author Topic: Nyarlathotep's Dungeon: Week 18  (Read 4765 times)

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
Re: Nyarlathotep's Dungeon: Week 18
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2009, 05:47:14 AM »
...I know I'm probably missing something in interpretation, but are we talking final boss Fou-Lu or PC Fou-Lu, or...  What?

Anywho, if it's final boss Fou-Lu, then it might actually make that battle a little more resource-intensive, in terms of killing Fou and Lambda at the right time as to not go into the next fight with everyone at only 1 HP...  Plus, with Soul Rend -> Lambda's LT move, at least two or three members of Tai's team is dying all at once...

Lambda is really frail, Fou-Lu is really slow and the team has like four MT healers and three revivers, and the GT is too limited for me to see it hitting multiple people. Lambda can get cute if he catches people at a wrong time, but then, Kyogre can even speed-bust Lambda wit Scary Face to make his picking apart game sorta fail at life. The team shouldn't have issues handling the fight.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

SageAcrin

• WATCH OUT! THAT'S HYDRO PUMP!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...Is it smiling...?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2009, 08:05:51 AM »
Sage: Yeah, I agree that you probably win...  though if Purim Flame Bouquets the SO3 team, I'd see their counters as ignoring Firefly and thus they'd be able to all nuke Purim's MP (even with their attack hosed, it's all three of 'em).  Dunno if your team can still win without Purim MP, so perhaps some other strategy might work better.

Thought I posted that, but essentially I meant to say at some point that, yeah, that's iffy as a strategy, as she'll lose a lot of MP doing it(the counters will have Attack drops, but still.). It's mostly there if you don't think I can disable the SO3ers any other way, as it's better to blow Purim's MP completely than it is anyone else's, I think.

IT'S ALSO WORTH NOTING THAT PURIM IS WELL ABOVE AVERAGE MP THANKS TO RANDI, whatever that says. >_>
<RichardHawk> Waddle Dee looks broken.
<TranceHime> Waddle Dee does seem broken.

"Forget other people's feelings, this is fun and life is but a game and we nought but players in it.  CHECKMATE!  King me and that is Uno." - Grefter

dude789

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2009, 03:27:32 PM »
I'm kind of surprised that no one sees Tai as having any resource issues with this floor. Maya and Kyra have a lot, but Kyogre only has 5 shots of his big damage and Garnet has huge resource problems if she wants to produce any decent offense.

Taishyr

« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2009, 03:47:21 PM »
Garnet can do mostly support after Lambda falls the first fight, and Kyogre still has a nice 2HKO with his weaker, more plentiful damage.

And the 2HKO is still buffable to "What do you mean this isn't brutal" levels. So. *shrugs*

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2009, 07:21:54 PM »
Also re Garnet resource issues: Ark is 80 MP, sure, but Odin's Sword is only 28 MP (if Taishyr can get away with never using the ID as this presumes 0 Ore).  Odin does ~ .42 PCHP damage compared to Ark's .52 PCHP, so it's not a big deal in most fights to drop down and save a lot of MP - how often is that 10% HP relevant?

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2009, 07:42:09 PM »
It's relevant if he needs a spread 2HKO, but otherwise not often. So yeah, it's a viable choice that also bypasses lol elemental nonsense. Also, in the subject of the SO3 fight, wouldn't Toadstool just sleeping them all work as an alternative while they pick the other PCs apart one by one?

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2009, 01:42:32 AM »
B'tub Ring
Also um did you forget that Rand is still going to tank attacks? >_> You never actually mention him dying at any point. Or existing.

Late, but I mostly did. And that piece of info sorta completely trivializes even the SO3 fight even besides the elemental resistances and junk. I think I sorta vaguely thought on the Squire fight "man, Rand drawing fire that way trivializes this battle", but never nodded to it in analysis. It says something that you don't need to rely on Firefly cheese to manage the floor, regardless.

Clear Tranquil

• Garden of Innocence
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Your dreams shatter and burn! Punishing! Blossom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2009, 01:14:12 PM »
Holy kaboomas Splitting Sky's -awful- MT basically doesn't exist (weird angles yeah but in front of/facing the enemy nuh uh) It's MP damage *is* good though but ... runs into Firefly here. Ice Daggers is nerfed offensively by B'tub Ring apparently (Snow the SMRG FAQs I read said it decreased magical damage received by half, that's wrong I take it?) and reduces the status % of Ice Daggers too? Regardless Ice Daggers also runs into Rand. Divine Wrath and Mirror Slice ... I don't remember being much in the way of MT either though I'll recheck for fairness (I don't use Nel late/post game much >_>) Probably run into Rand!
"A Yeul that loved to sing. A Yeul who wished to travel. A Yeul that collected flowers.... Every one of them was unique"

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2009, 04:48:08 PM »
Mirror Slice is completely ST. <_< Also, I dunno if B'tub Ring applies to all -magical- damage. That's worth testing.

Monkeyfinger

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2009, 11:43:25 PM »
If it's anything like the safety ring it doesn't. (I've always called boss moves that pierce the safety ring non elemental in the DL - diamond saw for instance.)

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2009, 02:56:52 AM »
All teams pass.

Though, just noting that the SO3 team only has to status (freeze) Rand to be able to target other PCs. Even with the status healing that Sage's team has, it might be worth noting.

Of course, my Genevieve durability respect is laughable, so he doesn't need Rand.

SageAcrin

• WATCH OUT! THAT'S HYDRO PUMP!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...Is it smiling...?
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2009, 09:11:51 AM »
Though, just noting that the SO3 team only has to status (freeze) Rand to be able to target other PCs. Even with the status healing that Sage's team has, it might be worth noting.
Actually they have to kill him before they can target other people, by the original phrasing.

There's nothing specifically stating otherwise, so...he has to be the target of all damage and status until he's no longer a valid target. Stoning him would probably work, depends on the Stone arguably but unless it's one of those overglorified Stops I suspect people would take that as disabling enough regardless of if you can still beat on him. But...it doesn't really specify that fatal status that leaves you a normally valid target(if Freeze was fatal, which I thought it wasn't? Thought that was paralysis but I dunno, been a while.) keeps him from getting beat on.

(Actually, by the original phrasing, Rand's a valid target for REVIVAL if KILLED and the enemy is attempting to use REVIVAL AS OFFENSE DUE TO ZOMBIE, arguably. The effect doesn't actually cut off while dead based on what's said, just that this makes you no longer a valid target. Never mind that it wouldn't do anything, there's still nothing preventing him from being a target! Yunalesca slayer.)

Although freeze does help with damage there if I recall it's mechanics right.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 09:30:59 AM by SageAcrin »
<RichardHawk> Waddle Dee looks broken.
<TranceHime> Waddle Dee does seem broken.

"Forget other people's feelings, this is fun and life is but a game and we nought but players in it.  CHECKMATE!  King me and that is Uno." - Grefter

Clear Tranquil

• Garden of Innocence
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2009, 11:25:01 AM »
Paralysis wears off after a period so yeah not fatal no (though it might as well be in SO3 itself where enemies are free to act and your character is standing there like a duck >_>) Freeze also wears off after a period but only if the enemy or a PC/ally isn't doing anything and thus doesn't follow up with a shatter attack. Freeze is more fatal than paralysis in the sense it can immediately be followed up by a shatter kill i.e instant death/KO on the target. Especially important of note is that PC/allies *can* shatter targets while chaining battle skills i.e Nel/Peppita w/th Ice/Frozen Daggers > something which is why they are so dangerous/known in the DL/dungeon. Nel more so because of speed/casual respect/etc but yeah (SOPHIA can do this w/th Deep Freeze/AERIAL chains!?) In this case Nel could freeze shatter Rand w/th Ice Daggers > Divine Wrath chains.

It doesn't matter. They have to defeat Toadstool and can't afford to be distracted by Rand in any way~

They need MT to defeat Toadstool and Nel's MT basically doesn't exist (rechecked Divine Wrath and Mirror Slice and Snow's quite right. Those moves are GT at the least and might as well be ST in a turn based scenario, especially Divine Wrath which was usually knocking it's main target far away from the rest of the group of enemies) I've had those moves catch up two or three enemies in some of their damage when those enemies were clustered together but yeah .... there's no way they're putting out their full damage numbers or are reliable enough MT in those scenarios. Fayt has MT w/th Ethereal Blast but that's already been covered. Ethereal Blast alone isn't taking out Toadstool who - glancing at the stat topic - actually has average HP. Cliff *has* MT and he's not one of SO3's slow pokes either. Ironically though Toadstool's still faster than him. One of SMRPG's speedsters apparantly. That's awesme for a healer type w/th status. Fayt and Cliff together could probably take out Toadstool but yeah. Not happening. Fayt could hope for paralysis off Dimension Door or Ethereal Blast I guess but I have a sneaky feeling Toadstool's magic defence would nerf -that- if magic defence effects status any in SMRPG. He has MT freeze w/th DEEP FREEZE!?

Yeah this is seriously looking like Sage's fight.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 12:06:48 PM by Clear Tranquil »
"A Yeul that loved to sing. A Yeul who wished to travel. A Yeul that collected flowers.... Every one of them was unique"

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2009, 03:21:20 PM »
Although freeze does help with damage there if I recall it's mechanics right.

If Freeze hits, the next hit is instant death, so that's something to look at. But Nel needs to hit Freeze turn one before she runs out of Fury to kill Rand there, and uh that still means that they're getting Sleep'd/Burn'd. Yeah no.

Clear Tranquil

• Garden of Innocence
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2009, 12:23:29 PM »
... and thus Firefly respect further rises.

So ... Team Sage vs Dungeon

Unoriginal

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 13, 2009, 06:21:23 PM »
Sage passes, abstain on the rest.