Author Topic: FF8 Proving Grounds Knock-off!  (Read 4018 times)

Dhyerwolf

• Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
Re: FF8 Proving Grounds Knock-off!
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2009, 04:33:49 AM »
Eileen can double. If she crits with a physical during a double, Rinoa is going boom. Doesn't hurt that Eileen can cast Copper Flesh a lot.
...into the nightfall.

ThePiggyman

• Denizen
  • The Lonely People (Are Getting Lonelier)
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2009, 04:35:23 AM »
Eileen can double. If she crits with a physical during a double, Rinoa is going boom. Doesn't hurt that Eileen can cast Copper Flesh a lot.

Ahh, well, there is that... BUT A WELL TIMED LEVIATHAN COULD ACT AS A SHIELD FOR THE DOUBLE!?
Yeah, alright, I see why some are favouring Eileen now. ;p

EDIT: On second though, I'd still see Rinoa as being in higher favor of winning. Her Spirit can be ridiculous if she equips the boosts from Leviathan, and Eileen's only got 4 Earthquakes to play around with. Eileen's also only got a 16% crit rate, and she isn't -that- much faster than Rinoa. Rinoa's HP is crap, but she takes magic very well.

EDIT2: Well, looks like Eileen actually might be able to outlast. With 18 turns of invicibility, thanks to 6 charges of Copper Flesh, and if she spreads them out well enough as to not get killed, she can actually kill Rinoa with a crit on a double, which takes 21 turns to happen... Eileen, you whore.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 05:36:06 AM by ThePiggyman »
Quote from: DjinnAndTonic
Quote from: OblivionKnight
if you believe in being a GOOD PERSON

If we believed in that, we wouldn't be forcing world-saving hero to fight eachother to the death for our amusement.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2009, 05:51:07 AM »
Djinn, how is Claude barely missing on OHKO on Rinoa? I'm also really now sure how well Darkside can be used to bring down HP for a limit, since it's also eating a turn too. Gravija arguably shouldn't work through Copper Flesh, since that doesn't let HP manipulation occur.

Hmmm? I didn't know Copper Flesh was -that- good? More information on that please.

On the Claude vs. Squall fight, my kneejerk was that Squall goes first, Darksides Claude for some damage, and gets the 10% mHP penalty. Then my kneejerk was that Claude's OHKO hits Squall's 1.5x HP to put Squall right into Limit range.

Though... thinking on it... SO2 characters shouldn't have trouble with damage manipulation... I should change that. Alternately though... if Squall's going first, he just twinks for Diablos' GFHP and Gravijas Claude in two turns (Unless... SO2 blocks gravity?)

Rinoa vs. Claude - Uhh.. well, my kneejerk reason for thinking she might survive a Claude combo was 'SO2 skills are inaccurate! Rinoa should evade some of the damage!' ... But I don't know what the evade mechanic in FF8 looks like, so I'm probably wrong there.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2009, 06:00:00 AM »
Copper Flesh is invincibility to all forms of HP variation. No damage. No healing. No poison damage. No variation period.

Also, Claude has good accuracy and Rinoa has -no- evade junctioning on her setup. And given how she's sub-70% pdur, she'd need to dodge almost half of Claude's attacks to survive that. Yeah no.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2009, 06:04:48 AM »
Even if Rinoa had Evade junctioning... I think the best evade junction (Triple?  Ultima?) is still only a 30% boost or so... not really much to hype.  Let alone her best magic there is Aura which is, what, 15%?  Yeah.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Dhyerwolf

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2009, 06:06:53 AM »
If Squall uses Gravija, it's going off after Claude attacks unless you see it as literally instantaneous. SO 2 doesn't specifically have gravity (well...there is one kind of Gravity attack in the game, but it's Dark elemntal/not sure enemies have it). Of course, don't see that 2HKOing anyways, since L50 Diablos is really high for normal endgame PCs.

If SO 2 skills were inherently inaccurate, that would then factor into the damage average and Claude wouldn't come out much worse!
...into the nightfall.

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2009, 06:35:28 AM »
If Squall uses Gravija, it's going off after Claude attacks unless you see it as literally instantaneous. SO 2 doesn't specifically have gravity (well...there is one kind of Gravity attack in the game, but it's Dark elemntal/not sure enemies have it). Of course, don't see that 2HKOing anyways, since L50 Diablos is really high for normal endgame PCs.

Gravija may be going after Claude attacks, but Claude is attacking Diablos' HP, which has been boosted. So I think I'd see Diablos getting off one Gravija, and then Squall just relies on Darkside + Trigger Critical to finish off Claude. This is assuming L50 for the GFs, of course.

Claude could, of course, wait until after Gravija to attack Squall's life points directly, but then Squall has no fear of casting Diablos on turn two for the win.

Dhyerwolf

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2009, 06:46:31 AM »
Right. I don't take PC stats at L99, but Level Up at least makes it a not inconceivable thing and I don't particularly care to look into the lower level stats at the moment (Although...wow, as if Lionheart wasn't already an inflation!). Junctions however don't have such a quick level up system.
...into the nightfall.

Clear Tranquil

• Garden of Innocence
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Your dreams shatter and burn! Punishing! Blossom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2009, 12:21:17 PM »
FF9 doesn't have ID blockers Yoshis.

Unless you know something we don't know!

For the people voting Celes over Selphie are you allowing Celes two accessories for status blockers or just seeing Celes killing Selphie w/th physicals?
"A Yeul that loved to sing. A Yeul who wished to travel. A Yeul that collected flowers.... Every one of them was unique"

Yoshiken

• Denizen
  • Yay!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2009, 02:13:42 PM »
Squall vs Celes Chere (FF6) - Imp, I guess. I wonder if Imp would lock down the GF command? Probably.
Fairly sure Imp prevents the use of Espers in FFVI, so yeah.
Edited a few fights for some things I missed. FFIX has no ID blocker? Seriously? Fail.
And, as far as I know, Celes has no way of blocking ID-- wait, just went and checked that. So, she does. That fight's getting edited as well then. Celes owns PCs.

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2009, 06:34:48 AM »
Celes can block ID? I thought ID was the big problem status for FF6. Aren't the only ID-blockers for Shadow/Relm or non-storebought?

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2009, 11:46:51 AM »
FF6 Safety Bits are not storebought, and, as far as I know, they also aren't obtainable in easy bulk. I think Yoshi just didn't realize it.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Yoshiken

• Denizen
  • Yay!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2009, 11:41:03 AM »
So, the guide I checked fails at life. Gah. Editing AGAIN. >.>