imageRegister

Author Topic: DL subhosting for SaGa modding community  (Read 13080 times)

velosify

• Stealth Mode Activate?
  • New User
    • View Profile
    • Biopets Chronicles WIP
Re: DL subhosting for SaGa modding community
« Reply #75 on: December 11, 2011, 10:32:01 PM »
This video shows that Square really does not know how to code their games well. And don't get me started on the glitch in Secret of Evermore or Romancing Saga 2 that can destroy an entire game cart.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 11, 2011, 11:30:14 PM »
You say that like it isn't a great way to artificially inflate a property's value as a collectible.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

xibalba

« Reply #77 on: December 12, 2011, 11:07:49 PM »
I suppose it shouldn't shock me that SaGa Frontier code is so fucked up that they don't even keep the sprites information all in the same general area... but it does anyways.
Correct.  There is no central spritesheet for every possible animation of any entity in this game, except perhaps some rare monsters, but I doubt even that.  From what I remember, I think there are about 4 to 7 different sets of sprites - one for each of the main characters on the Scenario-Select-New-Game screen (yes, Fuse is included), one for pre-battle selection, one for battle, one for post battle dancing, one for walking in the field, and probably more.

Okay, big idea time: I'll be the interim admin for the near future - let's say 6 months.  During this time, my goal is to get spreadsheets which generate hacks - for the ability data, the item data, and the initial character data - up, running, and bug-free, and to convert as many of Zaraktheus's gameshark codes into hacks, and then to begin planning for a community mod.  After my term is over, we will proceed with a rotating system of shared admin-ship, where no decision can be made without open discussion between staff and members, and no decision can be undertaken alone.  That's to say, if I decide to move an off-topic post in a thread into it's own thread in the Newbie Board, I'll have to talk to other members and staff about it.

I'd really like to have an actual direct democracy, democratic republic, or leadership-by-random-selection of candidates set up.  Or, even better, a combonation of the three.  Because one person can't presume to know what's best for the entire community.

Authoritarianism is the bane of collaborative communities, but a certain amount of discipline is needed to prevent any community from becoming so disorganized you can't find an answer to a question with a few clicks of a mouse.  But I can't just demand that other people do what I say - well, I can, but I won't have much of a community if I do.

I don't know what exactly I'm trying to say.  We need a method to rein in authoritarianism?  We need to build a community where everyone's ideas are treated equally, where you are judged not by how long you've been with that community (or your post count, or your position as staff, or your technical abilities), but by what you do.

Also, we need a name for the forum.

http://sagatestforum.proboards.com/
^I set up a test forum, to see what it will look like.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 11:46:46 PM by xibalba »

velosify

• Stealth Mode Activate?
  • New User
    • View Profile
    • Biopets Chronicles WIP
« Reply #78 on: December 13, 2011, 12:30:07 AM »
How about "Fixing Frontier: The SaGa Modding Community"?

Laggy

• ReDux'd
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Generations of suffering & all I got was a stick
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 13, 2011, 12:40:33 AM »
I'm sorry for cutting this discussion short, but after a considerable amount of deliberation, I will not be able to move this project forward.

I have been speaking with Vimes, and there are strongly differing viewpoints in regards to the direction of the proposed board, and how should be set up, ran and moderated; as such, in the interest of avoiding potential future conflict I'll have to withdraw from this proposal. I apologize for getting everyone all hyped up about this project's potential and in particular getting the new faces around here registered just to post here, and am quite grateful for the time and effort you've put forward as is.

Still a hardcore SaGa fan to the bone, though, and I'll be hoping to see awesome breakthroughs resulting from the community and the data mining project nonetheless. Good luck with whatever projects you guys choose to pursue.
<Eph> When Laggy was there to fuel my desire to open crates, my life was happy.  Now I'm stuck playing a shitty moba and playing Anime RPGs.

xibalba

« Reply #80 on: December 13, 2011, 12:53:24 AM »
Have you thought about doing it, but without me as admin?

Laggy

• ReDux'd
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Generations of suffering & all I got was a stick
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 13, 2011, 01:18:16 AM »
No, that isn't the point of contention here.

The project direction is not something I
1) have any real right to comment on in terms of what I think it should be, since I am not really a member of the community,
2) and even if the above wasn't applicable, not something that I currently have time to oversee and manage (hence my request for someone else to handle active administration and moderation)

I don't feel I would fit in or otherwise be of reliable contribution with how things have been envisioned because I am uncomfortable with the direction stated. But I don't really have the place or time to offer anything more constructive or, to be honest, be involved in any debate or discussion thereof. Who has the largely menial role of administrating a forumboard is pretty irrelevant in comparison to this.
<Eph> When Laggy was there to fuel my desire to open crates, my life was happy.  Now I'm stuck playing a shitty moba and playing Anime RPGs.

xibalba

« Reply #82 on: December 13, 2011, 01:47:15 AM »
Ah.  Well, thanks for bringing me over here.  I thought I was the only person interested in SaGa Frontier modding, and I refined my ideas and got some input.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 13, 2011, 07:37:15 AM »
Glad that this was a useful exercise for you at least.  You have some new people for your community if nothing else (so keep in touch!  We definitely want to help you out still from a community front!).

Also very happy to see fully understanding the work involved from the Admin side of things and respecting Laggy needing to pull out.  It is always a bit of a missed point in online communities that are administered systems wise by community members how much work goes into it (We love you Tal and Hal if you ever lurk through).  So yeah.  Keep in touch and sorry we weren't able to necessarilly be your solution.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

SageAcrin

• WATCH OUT! THAT'S HYDRO PUMP!
  • Denizen
  • ...Is it smiling...?
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 14, 2011, 01:40:22 AM »
Ah well, guess this is done then.
<RichardHawk> Waddle Dee looks broken.
<TranceHime> Waddle Dee does seem broken.

"Forget other people's feelings, this is fun and life is but a game and we nought but players in it.  CHECKMATE!  King me and that is Uno." - Grefter