Author Topic: Donald's Random thought 1046  (Read 1087 times)

Sir Donald 3.2

• Wanting some Kingdom conquering
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Donald's Random thought 1046
« on: February 15, 2010, 03:11:00 PM »
Picture this:

An extremist is out to destroy humanity for standing in its way,

The most powerful nation of humanity is making technology out of magic and is names after a world in Norse mythology (+/- 1 letter),

A source of said magical power lies just outside of a town that is destroyed leaving only the hero and his best friend as survivors,

And Zoidberg there's an optional female ninja wandering about.

Now, did I just describe Final Fantasy 7 or Tales of Phantasia?

Just enough setting similarities without party character analogues (for the most part).  The problem is I don't quite know what to do with this.  A series of bonus matches?  (Or just 1 "alternate reality" BM on each side, like in the early seasons?) A strat league scenario?

I've had a pantload dropped on me in Grad School at the beginning of the month, but I thought I that I'd just throw this impression out there.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
Re: Donald's Random thought 1046
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 07:26:45 AM »
Write a fanfic? I guess you could do something like a bonus with it where Cloud and Tifa essentially take the place of Cless and Chester? Somehow, Cloud and Tifa manage to have more personality than Cless and Chester, so they might be amusing in the ToP setting?

Also, Cloud/Tifa/whoever (Yuffie?) team vs. Dhaos match could be cool.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 02:51:11 PM »
I stated a long time ago that FF7's Midgar is pretty much a direct rip off of ToP's Midgard in so many ways, such as Mystek and Mako being similar, the existence of a super cannon, the fact that the City stands out as far more urban than anything else in the world, etc.  The only real difference is that Shinra is generally portrayed as Antagonists while Midgard is generally allied to your team (while not being strictly good, but that gets into ToP plot specifics), so plot devices vary and what not (In ToP, Midgard pretty much goes "Hey, join us, we could use your help against Dhaos!" and the team generally agrees outside of Arche, IIRC, who more had reservations but ultimately gives in, where as in FF7, you get a robotic cat as a spy shoved into your team...)

Its possible FF7's idea is just a coincedence to ToP, but the similarities are totally there.  The fact that both cities have the same name (origin) just makes the connection that much more obvious.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Lezard Valeth

• RPGDL visitor
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 03:43:46 AM »
Its TOP........ not FF7.
No ilah/ God but Allah/ The God, Muhammad/ The Praised One is Allah's Slave and Messenger.