Register

Author Topic: Parties & Rivals Team Tourney - Round 3  (Read 2877 times)

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
Re: Parties & Rivals Team Tourney - Round 3
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2010, 11:32:48 PM »
Godlike
Brahman (Digital Devil Saga)vs. Guv, Yangus, Jessica, Angelo (Dragon Quest VIII): Three Eternal Zeroes, yeah. Whichever team he catches out after one is dead. And there are only two monster teams...
--
Lady (Shadow Hearts: FTNW) vs. Zophar (Lunar: Eternal Blue Complete): Zophar really likes this unscaled nonsense. He still OHKOs! While Lady's mean D-combo + final attack, which has an argument to kill him normally, is just a light scratch.

Heavy
Ulrika, Chloe, Pepperoni, Goto, Enna (Mana Khemia 2) vs. Indalecio (Star Ocean 2)
--
Yosuke, Chie, Yukiko, Teddie (Persona 4) vs. Sephiroth (Final Fantasy 7)
Ryu, Rei, Momo (Breath of Fire III) vs. Divine Weapon (Wild Arms 4)

Middle
Xorn (Grandia III) vs. Ramza, Agrias, Mustadio, Orlandu, Meliadoul (Final Fantasy Tactics): Ramza can Yell everyone up to 50, not just himself, which tilts this. Xorn's only hope is to blitz out Ramza quickly with Dark Hymn. He has 24 FFT speed, so will triple 11 speed healers eventually... which just means Ramza starts by yelling them. Yeah, FFT has this. It was closer when I only remembered Scream and not Yell. It helps that two of the ice knights can use Lightning Stab to ignore shields while not applying any actually negative status (yes, you can still yell and scream while silenced!).
--
Hugo, Fubar, Sgt. Joe, Lilly (Suikoden III) vs. Lyn, Eliwood, Hector, Athos, Serra, Nils (Fire Emblem): Sleep is seriously bad news. On the other hand, it's not turn one on Lyn and doesn't hit Athos ever. Hmm. Well, as long as Athos dies turn 1, it's not a problem, and Hugo + Lilly can manage that, I think. Hugo probably dies, but Joe can pick up the pieces from there, and the team does need a fair bit of luck with getting through evade.
Kefka (Final Fantasy 6) vs. Lavos (Chrono Trigger)

Light
Luke, Guy, Tear, Jade (Tales of the Abyss) vs. Pikachu, Charizard, Blastoise, Venusaur, Snorlax, Espeon (Pokemon): Surely. Pikachu is throwing up a Light Screen before he dies to make Jade non-good, Espeon + Charizard together 2HKO someone before they do much of anything (probably Tear?). GROWL is awful news for the fighters of all things, since it's MT.
--
Daos (Lufia 2) vs. Ashley, Brad, Lilka (Wild Arms 2): Lilka needs to use Quick then really stay on top of the healing. Still, imagine she'll do okay... Brad probably isn't even 2HKOed so she only needs to Mystic every other turn. If Daos goes for status he's inviting a hell of a lot of damage.
Loki (Valkyrie Profile) vs. Crono, Marle, Lucca (Chrono Trigger): Another team with crummy MT healing, so Loki may be able to capitalise there? Thinking Carnage Anthem 2HKOs the non-Luccas. Marle can haste-heal to save one (herself), then revive Crono and heal herself, repeat... until she doesn't double. Other problem is CT can't do the needed damage with the MP it has unless it resorts to more MP-efficient moves than Luminaire/Flare, which... I'm not sure anything is efficient enough, especially since Life 2 is raping Marle's resources. Good fight, going with Loki though.

Squall, Irvine, Quistis (w/ Elemental Attack junction) (Final Fantasy VIII) vs. Serph, PC Heat, Gale (Digital Devil Saga): Well, hmm. Squall and Irvine go before average. Irvine can't one-round, but uses lighting to come close, Squall finishes on a press turn after attacking Heat (he's ice). Quistis beats on Serph some. Heat does something dangerous, but his status isn't turn 1. The entire team beats on him some more. He probably doesn't get a second turn, between 1.5 Squall hits + the others helping. Serph may kill someone by now, and is facing someone stuck with an ice physical (he nulls!). They should be able to outslug him, though it's not a sure thing.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2010, 11:34:33 PM »
Snowfire: Hmm, did you have some special skill I'm not aware of (EDIT: the relevant skill here is called Brute Force)? Because I too tried to berserker lock him and it had no effect on freezing or slowing his turn whatsoever (in fact the slowness of Berserker physicals gave him closer to 3 turns per party round), and I'm not the only person to have noticed this. However, the game does have a delay skill that I wasn't setting, so that might overwhelm his normal immunity.

Also yeah, Defend has 2x recharge time or so. I would seriously hope you aren't scaling that against him, though, given it does 0 damage. <_<
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 11:36:58 PM by Dark Holy Elf »

Maybe.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2010, 11:42:22 PM »
Yeah, I had Brute Force equipped and was knocking Xorn around a good bit.  Will actually take back what I said about freezing Xorn in place, now that you mention it, I was knocking him back, just that Xorn was fast enough he made up for it nearly immediately, then got knocked back again.  So it was effectively a freeze.

Also Brute Force / Berserker is how I kept randoms under control without massive SP spending, so yeah.  I take it Brute Force wasn't so useful for the lockdown with just Alfina & Dahna?

Xorn scaled against all Defends would be humorous, at least.  GOOD NEWS: Xorn is only average speed or so!  BAD NEWS: Xorn has infinite HP and is immune to status.  This is one of those fights where only Selphie can even theoretically win it!  [It's one of my lesser-known missions in life to find cases like that.  Though Selphie still loses bad here.  Alas.]
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 11:47:30 PM by SnowFire »

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2010, 11:51:19 PM »
Oh, I used Brute Force at times in the girl playthrough, but with only two PCs it doesn't work too well overall since it only applies to normal (read: ST) physicals as far as I could tell. The threatening fights all involved more than one target anyway. (Xorn was pretty good but I was able to beat him first try because I knew exactly what he could do [there are benefits to having seen the fight 10 times before!], and I did it by just using Bigass Fire spell, Armageddon, healing, the occasional cancel skill, and a bunch of timely defending/moving.)

Maybe.

Clear Tranquil

• Garden of Innocence
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Your dreams shatter and burn! Punishing! Blossom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2010, 12:08:40 AM »
Heavy

Yosuke, Chie, Yukiko, Teddie (Persona 4) vs. Sephiroth (Final Fantasy 7)

Middle

Kefka (Final Fantasy 6) vs. Lavos (Chrono Trigger)

"A Yeul that loved to sing. A Yeul who wished to travel. A Yeul that collected flowers.... Every one of them was unique"