Author Topic: Best Scenes - Rebel 7 ACTION!!!  (Read 1816 times)

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Best Scenes - Rebel 7 ACTION!!!
« on: May 31, 2010, 02:53:38 AM »
DRAMA:
Finding Elena (BoFIV) |||| ||  vs Demon Path 1 (SN) ||||
Forever Rachel (FFVI) |||| vs Gorudo Battle (SuikoII) |||| ||||

STYLE:
Lenneth v Loki (VP1) ||| vs Now is the time! (FFX) |||| ||||
Succeeding you, Father (WC3) |||| | vs Waltz (FFVIII) ||||

HUMOR:
Day the Shovel Died (WA5) |||| vs Stupid Cow (SN) |||| ||
Don Corneo (FFVII) |||| || vs Angus Redux (DMC4) |||

VOTE WHILE THE DIVISION IS UP!!  IT'LL COUNTER ATTACK WITH WRONGNESS!:
Eirika and the Stone (FE8) |||| ||| vs DDS PLOT (DDS2) ||||

BONUS MATCH:
The Black Knight |||| vs The Killer Rabbit |||| vs. Brave Sir Robin (Wins by an undetermined amount cause he made a very brave retreat!)

Ok, I must stat something IMPORTANT:
Please do not vote on a round unless you've either seen both scenes.  Be it "Saw it in the past and going off memory" (though MAKE SURE YOU'RE THINKING OF THE RIGHT SCENE), or watched it on the spot in this topic.  Seeing stuff like "Apathy" as a reason to vote suggests you're just going voting off laziness, and not watching one of the scenes.  Now, saying "Both scenes inspire apathy, so whatever"?  That says otherwise, but merely stating "Apathy" or something along those lines?  Yeah, I don't wanna see that anymore.

I can't stress this enough; no voting for favorites without giving its competition a fair chance.  If you're too lazy to watch the other scene, DO NOT VOTE.  There's a difference between "Both are cool, but I gotta go with an old favorite"; random tie break, fair.  But just being too lazy to watch a scene?  No, not kosher.

Please due note the game you're voting on too.  Sometimes, things are version specific.  "Wild ARMs" might not be the same as "Wild ARMs: ACF" for example.  This may or may not change your vote, but I get the impression based off statements made about some scenarios that suggested people were voting based on a different version of the scene that wasn't nommed.

Also, I must say another thing:
Some people don't understand the point of the 4th Division.  If something is clearly intentional, it should not be in wrong.  I've seen some claims of "This division belongs in the lower one!" for Humor ones, when its obvious the humor was intended.  Just cause you think the scene isn't funny doesn't make it "Wrong."  Wrong is the division of "Its memorable and 'good' for silly reasons and ones that were obviously not intended."  Try to keep this in mind when voting on it; this is why several people are going "Automatic DQ; this scene is intentional"; that's actually perfectly legit as far as I'm concerned, cause the whole point of that division is being UNINTENTIONAL.
If you don't find, say, a Humor scene funny, or a Drama scene impactful...that doesn't make them "WRONG" (unless something else in the scene was awesome but obviously unintentional), that just makes them "Bad Scenes", in your opinion.  Please learn the difference!  The 4th Division is *NOT* a Trainwreck division; its not "Vote on whatever the hell is clearly worse and mind breakingly awful!" Like some seem to think it is.

...ok, rant and raving aside about voting and whining etiquette, BACK TO THE ACTUAL CONTEST!

DRAMA:
"Love Lost" Ending (Silent Hill: Shattered Memories) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxV8j2m8HSk) vs. Laughing Scene (FFX) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BU8-e-C4Uy0)
"Ridley kept fighting while looking for you" (Suikoden II) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZSOdvoSKg8&feature=related) vs. Cointoss (FFVI) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpRcpBFrqKU&feature=related)

STYLE:
Lucifer (DMC4) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prZksqBd6jc) vs.  Opening (Xenogears) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSc59wy4aT4)
Defeat at Ostagar (Dragon Age) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kzfo3uLVD-w#t=2m50s) vs.  Thanatos Summoned (Persona 3) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jY8jIkFXE3c#t=4m20s until about 7:50)

HUMOR:
L'arachel/Ephraim B Support (FE8) (see Quoted section below) vs. Camping Trip! (Persona 4) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGvyYMy3q_w&feature=related)
"A Sailor is a Man's Man!" (BoF4) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMwAH5pKO_Q) vs. 'Happy Birthday' (Koudelka) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npFrbeBGas0&feature=related#t=1m35s until about 3:00)

L'Arachel: Ephraim, wait a minute.

Ephraim: Yes?

L'Arachel: I've heard such interesting things about you from so many people.
I thought it best to ask you directly: You are a reckless man, are you not?
It seems an attitude unbefitting a commander, wouldn't you say?

Ephraim: Don't speak to me that way. If I can save a life by taking a risk
myself, I'll do it. This is war, and war is risky. I have no problem with that.

L'Arachel: ... Oh, dear. I'll bet your body is just covered scars under
that armor, isn't it? I can heal them all for you. Let me see them.

Ephraim: Thanks. Let's see...

L'Arachel: Oh! Oh... Oh my! Wh-what are you doing?

Ephraim: I have to take my armor off if I'm going to show you the scar on
my shoulder--

L'Arachel: Cad! Beast! Pervert! Devil! I simply will NOT allow you to take
advantage of me in my confused state!

Ephraim: Conf-- What!? Wait, L'Arachel! What about my scars..?

THIS DIVISION ARE WRONG:
EXPLODING FROG (Final Fantasy Tactics) vs. Sophia's Sacrifice (Xenogears) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMpKi4CYxKk&feature=related#t=2m15s)

BONUS MATCH - SIMPSONS OPENINGS OF AWESOME!
Indiana Bart (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3CpFhtakrA) vs. Simpson's Flinstones (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSHcoP6Ybv0)

NOTE: I left a scene out of EXPLODING FROG cause...well...I think almost everyone here knows what's being referred to.  If its not obvious, yes, its the Malak related scene. 

Short Version:

DRAMA:
"Love Lost" Ending (Silent Hill: Shattered Memories)vs. Laughing Scene (FFX)
"Ridley kept fighting while looking for you" (Suikoden II) vs. Cointoss (FFVI)

STYLE:
Lucifer (DMC4) vs.  Opening (Xenogears)
Defeat at Ostagar (Dragon Age) vs.  Thanatos Summoned (Persona 3)

HUMOR:
L'arachel/Ephraim B Support (FE8)  vs. Camping Trip! (Persona 4)
"A Sailor is a Man's Man!" vs. 'Happy Birthday' (Koudelka)

THIS DIVISION ARE WRONG:
EXPLODING FROG (Final Fantasy Tactics) vs. Sophia's Sacrifice (Xenogears)

Indiana Bart  vs. Simpson's Flinstones
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
Re: Best Scenes - Rebel 7 ACTION!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2010, 03:54:48 AM »
DRAMA:
"Love Lost" Ending (Silent Hill: Shattered Memories)vs. Laughing Scene (FFX) - Silent Hill is tough to beat, and the Laughing Scene does have its problems... But I truly like the concept behind the Laughing Scene. I've always liked the philosophy of 'force yourself to smile even if you don't feel like smiling and eventually you'll be smiling for real'. It's a really simplified version of some basic psychological processes and FFX runs with it as a theme and the timing of it throughout the story is really appropriate. Also, if the voice-acting makes you cringe too much, then just watch the Japanese version.
"Ridley kept fighting while looking for you" (Suikoden II) vs. Cointoss (FFVI) - Really no contest. FF6's scene has the better characters, translation, and music, so if nothing else, I have to give it better presentation points.

STYLE:
Lucifer (DMC4) vs.  Opening (Xenogears) - Lol beating DMC for style.

HUMOR:
L'arachel/Ephraim B Support (FE8)  vs. Camping Trip! (Persona 4) - MYSTARY FOOD X! Kanji totally doesn't like dudes.
"A Sailor is a Man's Man!" vs. 'Happy Birthday' (Koudelka) - Best part of Koudelka? I personally like Koudelka and James' drunken storytime towards the end a bit more, but Charlotte was always memorable.

THIS DIVISION ARE WRONG:
EXPLODING FROG (Final Fantasy Tactics) vs. Sophia's Sacrifice (Xenogears) - I actually can't remember what you're referring to. Only played FFT once.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 09:09:39 AM by DjinnAndTonic »

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2010, 03:55:40 AM »
DRAMA:
"Love Lost" Ending (Silent Hill: Shattered Memories) vs. Laughing Scene (FFX)- hm.  Actually rewatch Laughing Scene, be lazy and not vote... hmmm... I dunno.  Maybe later.  Hum.  SHSM's ending is, at heart, meant to be a reveal, so without context (that is, without knowing everything building up to the reveal and losing that aspect of the scene entirely) it's merely really well executed examples of very common themes.  On the other hand, the laughing scene is next to nothing on its own as a drama piece, but a big building block of the larger Yuna/Tidus angle.  I dunno.  Fuck it.  SHOHATBOT!

STYLE:
Lucifer (DMC4) vs.  Opening (Xenogears)- ... aawwww.  Lousy hatbot making me vote against xenogears.
Defeat at Ostagar (Dragon Age) vs.  Thanatos Summoned (Persona 3)- I... guess.

HUMOR:
L'arachel/Ephraim B Support (FE8)  vs. Camping Trip! (Persona 4)- Since I had to pick out one bit, I went for the utter humiliation part.  But anyway, good stuff.
"A Sailor is a Man's Man!" vs. 'Happy Birthday' (Koudelka)- Hmm.  I remember Charlotte being more understandable when I played the game.  Could just be the girl's recording equipment though.    Stiiilll, huh.  I didn't remember the rest of the context tehre being so serious, I'm not sure her bitterness is quite enough into the black humor to come out ahead.  Meanwhile ursula and nina are pretty good here.

THIS DIVISION ARE WRONG:
EXPLODING FROG (Final Fantasy Tactics) vs. Sophia's Sacrifice (Xenogears)- Bard what is wrong with you.

Indiana Bart  vs. Simpson's Flinstones -.. okay I won't sing.  For now.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 07:57:52 AM by Cmdr_King »
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2010, 05:39:41 AM »
DRAMA:

STYLE:

HUMOR:
L'arachel/Ephraim B Support (FE8)  vs. Camping Trip! (Persona 4) - That support convo is painfully unfunny <_<

THIS DIVISION ARE WRONG:
EXPLODING FROG (Final Fantasy Tactics) vs. Sophia's Sacrifice (Xenogears) - This frog will self-destruct in 5 seconds.

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2010, 05:50:24 AM »
DRAMA:

STYLE:
Lucifer (DMC4) vs.  Opening (Xenogears)
Defeat at Ostagar (Dragon Age) vs.  Thanatos Summoned (Persona 3) - asdf both are awesome don't want either to lose. ;_;

HUMOR:
L'arachel/Ephraim B Support (FE8)  vs. Camping Trip! (Persona 4)

THIS DIVISION ARE WRONG:

Indiana Bart  vs. Simpson's Flinstones
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2010, 07:28:16 AM »
DRAMA:
"Ridley kept fighting while looking for you" (Suikoden II) vs. Cointoss (FFVI): The former... I like Shu's lines and I think he makes you really feel like shit, which you should. Otherwise the scene is a little melodramatic at points. Still good, but... I really like the cointoss scene. Defines Edgar's character so nicely.

STYLE:
Defeat at Ostagar (Dragon Age) vs.  Thanatos Summoned (Persona 3)

HUMOR:
"A Sailor is a Man's Man!" vs. 'Happy Birthday' (Koudelka): Love the sailor sequence in BoF4. Kahn getting randomly owned is beautiful. Don't mess with the BoF4 ladies.

THIS DIVISION ARE WRONG:
EXPLODING FROG (Final Fantasy Tactics) vs. Sophia's Sacrifice (Xenogears): I guess this one is more WRONG?

Indiana Bart  vs. Simpson's Flinstones: Awww yeah. I love both, but this one's just way too classic. Homer's sudden realisation is priceless, as is his RANDOMLY BREAKING HIS OWN CAR WINDOW.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2010, 07:31:35 AM »
Short Version:

DRAMA:
"Love Lost" Ending (Silent Hill: Shattered Memories)vs. Laughing Scene (FFX)- Vote laterz.
"Ridley kept fighting while looking for you" (Suikoden II) vs. Cointoss (FFVI)- Game I like vs. game I don't really like! Too bad the results of this fight are reversed. Best scene in SNES era vs. a fairly average S2 scene.

STYLE:
Defeat at Ostagar (Dragon Age) vs.  Thanatos Summoned (Persona 3)- I'm sorry, but I outright refuse to vote on this. A battle of two games I basically refuse to play or have contact with more than I absolutely have to.

HUMOR:
L'arachel/Ephraim B Support (FE8)  vs. Camping Trip! (Persona 4)- Not a terrible fight, at least. Not really my style of humor.
"A Sailor is a Man's Man!" vs. 'Happy Birthday' (Koudelka)- Y'know, I'm not a huge Kahn fan, but the humor of the Koudelka scene went over my head a bit.

THIS DIVISION ARE WRONG:
EXPLODING FROG (Final Fantasy Tactics) vs. Sophia's Sacrifice (Xenogears)- uh

When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2010, 07:59:33 AM »
Short Version:

DRAMA:

HUMOR:
L'arachel/Ephraim B Support (FE8)  vs. Camping Trip! (Persona 4)

THIS DIVISION ARE WRONG:
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Dhyerwolf

• Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2010, 09:03:26 AM »
DRAMA:
"Love Lost" Ending (Silent Hill: Shattered Memories)vs. Laughing Scene (FFX)- NOOOOOO at the Laughing Scene.
"Ridley kept fighting while looking for you" (Suikoden II) vs. Cointoss (FFVI)- Eh. Not much impact on either of these scenes. Which is okay on Cointoss (Doesn't feel like it's supposed to be dramatic to me). The Suikoden 2 scene is...but man, at that point, the correct end to the scene is the rune deserts Riou and someone cuts him down. So....Cointoss!

STYLE:
Lucifer (DMC4) vs.  Opening (Xenogears)- Lucifer anti-vote. The first part of the scene is stylish, the last part is WTF. Also, in my limited experience to Dante (aka: the scenes in the tourney), he grates.
Defeat at Ostagar (Dragon Age) vs.  Thanatos Summoned (Persona 3)- Aw, early game P3, when your plot stuff actually had an element of danger and impact in it! Dragon Age scene...may have misloaded on my computer. When to a view of the tower, seemed to progress timewise but nothing else happened?

HUMOR:
L'arachel/Ephraim B Support (FE8)  vs. Camping Trip! (Persona 4)- L'Arachel is soooo lucky that Eirika existed she seems like quite the dunce here. P4 scene had some good stuff before it, but this is meh.
"A Sailor is a Man's Man!" vs. 'Happy Birthday' (Koudelka)- Honestly, I couldn't hear the Koudelka scene and I didn't remember it well enough anyways (As opposed to early scenes that I remember laughing at). I'd try harder, but found the BoF 4 funny so this works.

THIS DIVISION ARE WRONG:
EXPLODING FROG (Final Fantasy Tactics) vs. Sophia's Sacrifice (Xenogears)- Didn't find anything wrong with either of these really.
...into the nightfall.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2010, 09:14:41 AM »
DRAMA:
"Love Lost" Ending (Silent Hill: Shattered Memories) vs. Laughing Scene (FFX): Considering the stuff I hear about the laughing scene, I was actually suitably impressed it. Of course, its also up against what I consider to be among, if not the, single best ending that I've seen in a video game. Unfortunately, Shattered Memories loses a fair chunk minus context, but the scene was immensely powerful for me, serving as a perfect culmination of the entire game up this point.

"Ridley kept fighting while looking for you" (Suikoden II) vs. Cointoss (FFVI): Tough one. Tough one. On the whole, I think I have to give this one to the Cointoss though. Despite digging the Suikoden scene, and thinking its pretty powerful, on the whole, it is hurt by a number of compositional issues.  The music is a bit weak, Riou's own voice is (shock) lacking and the actual ending scene feels like it could have used a little more. Its quite a strong scene for Nanami, though (man, she's a lot better a character then I remember). Cointoss is just... better executed, I guess. Cute little set of contrasting scenes, though.

STYLE:
Lucifer (DMC4) vs.  Opening (Xenogears): Awesome captain, but not enough to score here. Dante's ridiculously self-aware camp and general self-presentation tends to be just concentrated awesome.

Defeat at Ostagar (Dragon Age) vs.  Thanatos Summoned (Persona 3): Gotta go against my own nom here. Thanatos was awesome.

HUMOR:
L'arachel/Ephraim B Support (FE8)  vs. Camping Trip! (Persona 4): Free pass.

THIS DIVISION ARE WRONG:

« Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 10:09:27 AM by AndrewRogue »

dude789

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2010, 12:11:50 PM »
DRAMA:

STYLE:

HUMOR:
L'arachel/Ephraim B Support (FE8)  vs. Camping Trip! (Persona 4) FE8 scene isn't bad, but Camping Trip is one of the best P4 humor scenes.
"A Sailor is a Man's Man!" vs. 'Happy Birthday' (Koudelka) I loved how Ryu and Nina's heads followed Kahn as he fell down.

THIS DIVISION ARE WRONG:

Monkeyfinger

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2010, 06:13:01 PM »
Defeat at Ostagar (Dragon Age) vs.  Thanatos Summoned (Persona 3)- Aw, early game P3, when your plot stuff actually had an element of danger and impact in it! Dragon Age scene...may have misloaded on my computer. When to a view of the tower, seemed to progress timewise but nothing else happened?

It did misload. Try it again.

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2010, 08:17:46 PM »
From time to time, when you timestamp a youtube video (or skip ahead beyond what's loaded) it'll get stuck.  If you manually move the indicator into a red area, it'll start up.  I THINK just hitting the reload button will also get things moving without loss of loading, but it's not necessary.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2010, 09:37:25 PM »
Day the Shovel Died lost?  Sad moment.  Sad, sad moment.

DRAMA:
"Ridley kept fighting while looking for you" (Suikoden II) vs. Cointoss (FFVI) - This one gets my vote because I like Ridley, and got a lot of impact from that.

STYLE:
Lucifer (DMC4) vs.  Opening (Xenogears) - Just works better for me.  The DMC scene was also diluted from the first half of the clip which was fairly lame.
Defeat at Ostagar (Dragon Age) vs.  Thanatos Summoned (Persona 3) - I don't think the second one really needs context, while the first one really, really, does.  On that note, the P3 scene here has always reminded me a bit of the second episode of Eva.

HUMOR:
L'arachel/Ephraim B Support (FE8)  vs. Camping Trip! (Persona 4) - I'd call this a gimme even if I didn't really like the P4 scene.
"A Sailor is a Man's Man!" vs. 'Happy Birthday' (Koudelka) - I like dark humour, so this is close.  But, well...  the BoF4 scene is just too strong.

THIS DIVISION ARE WRONG:
EXPLODING FROG (Final Fantasy Tactics) vs. Sophia's Sacrifice (Xenogears) - Despite being awesome, I think the Exploding Frog is the embodiment of this division.

Indiana Bart  vs. Simpson's Flinstones - Growing up I knew almost no Simpsons at all.  One of the few scraps that even I knew?  This.

OblivionKnight

• Boom! Big reveal: I'm a pickle. What do you think about that?
  • Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2010, 09:56:12 PM »
Comments aren't allowed by me, from what I'm told, so just votes

DRAMA:
"Love Lost" Ending (Silent Hill: Shattered Memories) vs. Laughing Scene (FFX)

STYLE:
Defeat at Ostagar (Dragon Age) vs.  Thanatos Summoned (Persona 3)

HUMOR:

THIS DIVISION ARE WRONG:
EXPLODING FROG (Final Fantasy Tactics) vs. Sophia's Sacrifice (Xenogears): NO VOTE

[16:52] <%CmdrKing> You may not vote on FFT scenes.
[16:52] <%CmdrKing> Special rule, called the OK Collerary.

Not like I could vote anyway - I don't remember the FFT scene

« Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 09:59:18 PM by OblivionKnight »
[11:53] <+Meeple_Gorath> me reading, that's a good one

[19:26] * +Terra_Condor looks up. Star Wars Football, what?
[19:27] <+Terra_Condor> Han Kicks First?
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Vader intercepts.
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Touchdown and Alderaan explodes in the victory