Author Topic: Best Scenes Round 12 - THE MATCH OF THE MILLENIUM  (Read 2780 times)

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Best Scenes Round 12 - THE MATCH OF THE MILLENIUM
« on: July 05, 2010, 03:36:06 AM »
DRAMA:
Ft. Zeakden (FFT) | vs. Meeting Kato in the Cemetary (SH2) |||| |||
Final Boss Plot Battle (Persona 3) ||| vs. The Miracle (SH2) ||||

STYLE:
Opening Scene (Suikoden 5) |||| vs. Death Ending (Ogre Battle) ||||
Haseo vs. Azure Kite (.hack/GU) || vs. Tibarn vs Lekain (FE10) |||| ||

HUMOR:
Garan's Pillow (SH2) |||| || vs. Gig Ending, Female Revya (Soul Nomad) ||
Dog Ending (Silent Hill 2) ||| vs. UFO Ending (Silent Hill: Shattered Memories) |

SCREW THIS DIVISION, I HAVE WRONGNESS!:
Shlooop (Shadow Hearts) |||| |  vs. IN-DIG-NAY-SHUN (ToPa) |

UTTER FAILURE:
Kain Steals the Dark Crystal || vs. Mithos Is A Moron |||| |

BONUS MATCH: VIDEO SWAPPING FUN TIMES!:

Zero May Cry | vs. What Is Dante Fighting For ||||

...people need to live up to their promises damn it.  "I'm going to vote on the rest, I promise!" and not doing it...you people make me sad. SAD I TELL YOU! YOU DON'T WANT AN EMO MEEPLE DO YOU!?!?!?

...token whine comment of the topic aside...

DRAMA:
Field of Takamagahara Good (SH2)(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFiWEX0B_ZU)  vs. Arshtat debriefs you after Lordlake (Suikoden V) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkGvrro97HE#t=5m50s - until 9:20)
Jowy says goodbye to Jilia (Suikoden II) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58Qf1m9OKhA#t=7m5s) vs. *Badrach's Story (VP1)

*2 Videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIKn7ovOa48
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90R_aRcB3pA&feature=related

STYLE:
Assault of the Silver Dragons (Final Fantasy IX) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eSYOMrTIxk - until about 2:50) vs.  Allen Ridgeley, Owner of Lamers (Xenosaga 3) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPR0xO34uQQ#t=4m42s)
"I wish you would embrace God." (Grim Grimoire) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJQxhCO242w&feature=related#t=1m59s) vs. Yggdrasil Jump of Impossibility (Xenogears) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuzFk7JOtfQ - until about 3:45)

HUMOR:
*Beach Trip (Persona 3) vs. Omlette! (Persona 4) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N19NoKukWTM)
MR. SNAIL (Eternal Sonata) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NkrX_h6Rms) vs.  End Chapter 7 (Mana Khemia 2) ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6lNrt2gJJU&feature=related#t=5m - until 6:55)

2 Videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bA6LEsAO3ow#t=3m5s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwGlBAL9fH8&feature=related - until 2:20

EXPAND THE WRONGNESS:
No cloud nor squall (Final Fantasy IX) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXsJDof8Lv8#t=3m42s) vs. Manos, the Hand of Golbez (Final Fantasy IV) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QO8G92jjf00#t=4m16s)

SHORT FORM!!!

DRAMA:
Field of Takamagahara Good (SH2) vs. Arshtat debriefs you after Lordlake (Suikoden V)
Jowy says goodbye to Jilia (Suikoden II)  vs. Badrach's Story (Valkyrie Profile)

STYLE:
Assault of the Silver Dragons vs.  Allen Ridgeley, Owner of Lamers (Xenosaga 3)
"I wish you would embrace God." (Grim Grimoire) vs. Yggdrasil Jump of Impossibility (Xenogears)

HUMOR:
Beach Trip (Persona 3) vs. Omlette! (Persona 4)
MR. SNAIL (Eternal Sonata) vs.  End Chapter 7 (Mana Khemia 2)

EXPAND THE WRONGNESS:
No cloud nor squall (Final Fantasy IX)  vs. Manos, the Hand of Golbez (Final Fantasy IV)

Yeah, no bonus round *OR* Failure bracket this time; mostly cause we couldn't come up with any ideas.

My stance still stands on that if you have a good idea for an Utter Failure scene, feel free to mention it in this topic!  Yes, you are allowed to come up with an idea if you already came up with one last week; I just don't want multiple from the same person in the same week!
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 02:23:28 AM by Meeplelard »
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

dude789

• Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: Best Scents Round 12 - THE MATCH OF THE MILLENIUM
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2010, 04:51:02 AM »
DRAMA:
Field of Takamagahara Good (SH2) vs. Arshtat debriefs you after Lordlake (Suikoden V) The SH scene is good, but Arshtat's losing battle with the Sun Rune is exceptionally handled.
Jowy says goodbye to Jilia (Suikoden II)  vs. Badrach's Story (Valkyrie Profile)

STYLE:
Assault of the Silver Dragons vs.  Allen Ridgeley, Owner of Lamers (Xenosaga 3)
"I wish you would embrace God." (Grim Grimoire) vs. Yggdrasil Jump of Impossibility (Xenogears)- The Xenogear's scene is alright, but Lillet's owning of Grimlet is champ material.

HUMOR:
MR. SNAIL (Eternal Sonata) vs.  End Chapter 7 (Mana Khemia 2)

EXPAND THE WRONGNESS:
No cloud nor squall (Final Fantasy IX)  vs. Manos, the Hand of Golbez (Final Fantasy IV)

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2010, 05:11:36 AM »
DRAMA:
Field of Takamagahara Good (SH2) vs. Arshtat debriefs you after Lordlake (Suikoden V): Yeah, Arshtat's battle with the Sun Rune is excellent. Also, uh, I like SH2, but there needed to be a cap on the number of noms from it.
Jowy says goodbye to Jilia (Suikoden II)  vs. Badrach's Story (Valkyrie Profile): Also insurance that the same scene wasn't nommed for both humour and drama. Anyway, Jowy/Jillia scene never really did too much for me.

STYLE:
Assault of the Silver Dragons vs.  Allen Ridgeley, Owner of Lamers (Xenosaga 3): While Allen did badly need to say things the rest of the PC cast wouldn't, I dislike how this scene is, as Fenrir put it, basically fanservice for all those quiet nerds out there. Meh. Also, former wins due to not being part of XS3 disc 2.
"I wish you would embrace God." (Grim Grimoire) vs. Yggdrasil Jump of Impossibility (Xenogears): Owned.

HUMOR:
Beach Trip (Persona 3) vs. Omlette! (Persona 4): Yeah I won't be wasting my time watching two attempts at Persona humour given the ones I've already seen. <.< (And hey, I voted for Persona last week, so I've earned the right to be snarky this week!)
MR. SNAIL (Eternal Sonata) vs.  End Chapter 7 (Mana Khemia 2): Aw yeah Flay being Flay. This scene pretty much encapsulates him. The other scene is... uh... surreal.

EXPAND THE WRONGNESS:
No cloud nor squall (Final Fantasy IX)  vs. Manos, the Hand of Golbez (Final Fantasy IV): I'm just voting for the better scene, now, because I can't figure out how to vote otherwise.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2010, 05:57:20 AM »

DRAMA:
Field of Takamagahara Good (SH2) vs. Arshtat debriefs you after Lordlake (Suikoden V)
Jowy says goodbye to Jilia (Suikoden II)  vs. Badrach's Story (Valkyrie Profile)

STYLE:
"I wish you would embrace God." (Grim Grimoire) vs. Yggdrasil Jump of Impossibility (Xenogears)

HUMOR:

EXPAND THE WRONGNESS:
No cloud nor squall (Final Fantasy IX)  vs. Manos, the Hand of Golbez (Final Fantasy IV)

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2010, 07:08:50 AM »
UFO Ending won. Not Doggy Ending.

DRAMA:

STYLE:

HUMOR:

EXPAND THE WRONGNESS:

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2010, 11:58:45 PM »
SHORT FORM!!!

DRAMA:
Field of Takamagahara Good (SH2) vs. Arshtat debriefs you after Lordlake (Suikoden V) - SH2 is kinda over nommed here.  No game is this good.
Jowy says goodbye to Jilia (Suikoden II)  vs. Badrach's Story (Valkyrie Profile) - Badrach isn't terribly strong.

STYLE:
Assault of the Silver Dragons vs.  Allen Ridgeley, Owner of Lamers (Xenosaga 3) - It's that kinda stylish scene that works well as a capstone.  Whereas the other...  is too damn japanese.
"I wish you would embrace God." (Grim Grimoire) vs. Yggdrasil Jump of Impossibility (Xenogears) - Nice fight actually.  That laugh was brilliant, but so was Bart scuttling away as Id just kinda stood there trying to figure out what they were doing.  Let alone his reaction after getting hit.

HUMOR:
Beach Trip (Persona 3) vs. Omlette! (Persona 4) - The main strength in the P4 scene is the fact that it's a running joke.  Meanwhile, Operation: Babe Hunt was probably the highlight for humour in P3.
MR. SNAIL (Eternal Sonata) vs.  End Chapter 7 (Mana Khemia 2) - Probably the best thing in this quartet.

EXPAND THE WRONGNESS:
No cloud nor squall (Final Fantasy IX)  vs. Manos, the Hand of Golbez (Final Fantasy IV) - I like the Title better.  Though both need to get referenced somehow if there's ever a second Dissidia.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2010, 01:53:48 AM »
SHORT FORM!!!

DRAMA:
Field of Takamagahara Good (SH2) vs. Arshtat debriefs you after Lordlake (Suikoden V)- Not close.
Jowy says goodbye to Jilia (Suikoden II) vs. Badrach's Story (Valkyrie Profile)- Not close!

STYLE:
Assault of the Silver Dragons vs.  Allen Ridgeley, Owner of Lamers (Xenosaga 3)- :)

HUMOR:
Beach Trip (Persona 3) vs. Omlette! (Persona 4)- I think I'll abstain on Persona vs. Persona!
MR. SNAIL (Eternal Sonata) vs. End Chapter 7 (Mana Khemia 2)- Flay is awesome.

EXPAND THE WRONGNESS:
No cloud nor squall (Final Fantasy IX)  vs. Manos, the Hand of Golbez (Final Fantasy IV)- Amusing.
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Dhyerwolf

• Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2010, 06:47:17 AM »

DRAMA:

STYLE:
Assault of the Silver Dragons vs.  Allen Ridgeley, Owner of Lamers (Xenosaga 3)- Fuck, Allen's only good line here even is that he wouldn't run away from Shion. Man, your character high point is that you wouldn't run from Shion.
"I wish you would embrace God." (Grim Grimoire) vs. Yggdrasil Jump of Impossibility (Xenogears)-  Man, them devils sure are easy to defeat! Get one wish. Including the part after 3:40 on the XG stuff though because that's by far the best styliscally.

HUMOR:
Beach Trip (Persona 3) vs. Omlette! (Persona 4)- Ooooh, right, P3 attempt to humor. Yeah, those weren't so hot.
MR. SNAIL (Eternal Sonata) vs.  End Chapter 7 (Mana Khemia 2)- WTFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF. I mean, the MK 2 scene is actually not funny at all to me because it's just too obvious, but that ES scene is a pile of burning crap.

Utter Failure Nom: Whatever the hell that ES scene was.
...into the nightfall.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2010, 11:10:23 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8I8w2e8mbq8

This is the scene I nommed for Utter Failure, BTW.

Dhyerwolf

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2010, 07:55:04 PM »
Maybe we should just nom the entire game!
...into the nightfall.

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2010, 10:41:37 PM »
Nah, the majority of the game is just light-hearted JRPG fluff, mixed with some fairly creative ideas about how the whole experience is really Frederic Chopin's final dream on his deathbed about how he can finally see his sister who died of some horrible terminal illness herself. A neat corollary to that was that in the dream, apparently people with this terminal illness can use magic, although it makes people somewhat afraid of them. Not because of the magic, but due to fear of catching the illness. All of that really had some potential for making a neat little Alice in Wonderland dreamstory or a fairly bittersweet tale of Chopin's fondest memories with a fantasy twist.

The game strings along a few of these plot points throughout the main chunk of the story (though particularly under-utilized, I'm afraid to say); and then suddenly drops everything for a shit-ton of No YOU Are the Monster, lolz-Environmentalism-out-of-nowhere, talking heads, Polka-is-jesus-and-mute, Random lady sings opera for no reason, and then MR. SNAIL!!!!~! The ending is beyond XS3-levels of condensed failure, despite putting in one of Chopin's piano pieces in the middle of the 20-minutes-or-so ending.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2010, 01:56:02 AM »
Unfair, Djinn. The environmentlism shit was in the part of the game I played too.

DRAMA:

STYLE:
Assault of the Silver Dragons vs. Allen Ridgeley, Owner of Lamers (Xenosaga 3)
"I wish you would embrace God." (Grim Grimoire) vs. Yggdrasil Jump of Impossibility (Xenogears)- This scene justifies GG's existance by itself. And considering the hoops lillet had to jump through that point and the thinking involved, I don't find it unreasonable at all.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Dhyerwolf

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2010, 05:19:18 AM »
Nah, the majority of the game is just light-hearted JRPG fluff

Light-hearted and brain-deadingly stupid are not mutually exclusive. Which is to say that I only saw 2 early-mid game scenes and both of them pissed me off to no end!
...into the nightfall.

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
Re: Best Scenes Round 12 - THE MATCH OF THE MILLENIUM
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2010, 06:39:13 AM »
Hey, we saw your nom last week Djinn!  Just, no one nommed anything for it to fight!  Could use something from Dirge of Cerberus, but Meeple hasn't decided on the 'best' candidate and I don't know the game at all, so finding it would be impossible.  I think he's trying to con me into reading the LP so I can do it, but I'm wise to his games!

DRAMA:
Field of Takamagahara Good (SH2) vs. Arshtat debriefs you after Lordlake (Suikoden V)- I never let it on much, but I'm actually a sucker for endings.  For seeing all the drama and themes and style finally come together into some final synthesis.  Field of Takamagahara (well, at least this version) does all that.  That's just too much for Arshtat's madness to compete with.
Jowy says goodbye to Jilia (Suikoden II)  vs. Badrach's Story (Valkyrie Profile)- I think Badrach was a better fit in humor.  I may be prone to a somewhat dark sense of humor though.

STYLE:
Assault of the Silver Dragons vs.  Allen Ridgeley, Owner of Lamers (Xenosaga 3)- Unlike most scenes that are high on the pretty, Assault of the Silver Dragons actually has some semblance of emotional investment.  All these people you've been helping and been helped by the whole game sail in to save the heroes in the darkest hour.  Y'know, actually DOING SHIT rather than just letting the most bullheaded teenagers around save teh world by themselves.  Also fuck you hatbot.
"I wish you would embrace God." (Grim Grimoire) vs. Yggdrasil Jump of Impossibility (Xenogears)- I just love how insane this whole concept is.  "We'll get going so fast on our smoking, half melted engines that we make our sand cruiser LEAP OUT FROM THE DESERT TO CRUSH OUR FOES".  Also fuck you hatbot.

HUMOR:
Beach Trip (Persona 3) vs. Omlette! (Persona 4)- Neither strikes me as laugh aloud, so voting for the one with more Nanako.

EXPAND THE WRONGNESS:
No cloud nor squall (Final Fantasy IX)  vs. Manos, the Hand of Golbez (Final Fantasy IV)- No cloud nor squall is fucking lame.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2010, 06:40:47 AM »
Man, ES had better have a lot more than some simple (if heavy-handed) environmental messages and cliched JRPG pseudo-philosophy in order to live up to the "hype".

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

OblivionKnight

• Boom! Big reveal: I'm a pickle. What do you think about that?
  • Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2010, 01:55:58 AM »
DRAMA:
Field of Takamagahara Good (SH2) vs. Arshtat debriefs you after Lordlake (Suikoden V) - SH2 > S5
Jowy says goodbye to Jilia (Suikoden II)  vs. Badrach's Story (Valkyrie Profile) - Love Badrach - fits many categories

STYLE:
Assault of the Silver Dragons vs.  Allen Ridgeley, Owner of Lamers (Xenosaga 3) - Man, Allen...I want to vote for you, but the more I look back on it...you fail for protecting Shion ;_;
"I wish you would embrace God." (Grim Grimoire) vs. Yggdrasil Jump of Impossibility (Xenogears) - Great fight.  Oddly voting for the scene from the game I haven't had a chance to play yet!

HUMOR:
Beach Trip (Persona 3) vs. Omlette! (Persona 4) - Junpei hitting on transexuals is fun
MR. SNAIL (Eternal Sonata) vs.  End Chapter 7 (Mana Khemia 2) - Just more hilarious (and traumatic)

EXPAND THE WRONGNESS:
No cloud nor squall (Final Fantasy IX)  vs. Manos, the Hand of Golbez (Final Fantasy IV) - YEEEEEESSSSSSSSSS

You want utter failure?  YOU WANT UTTER FAILURE!>>!!>!> 

WELL THEN HERE!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOU8GIRUd_g
[11:53] <+Meeple_Gorath> me reading, that's a good one

[19:26] * +Terra_Condor looks up. Star Wars Football, what?
[19:27] <+Terra_Condor> Han Kicks First?
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Vader intercepts.
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Touchdown and Alderaan explodes in the victory

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2010, 02:03:13 AM »
Rick Rolling is not acceptable form of Failure for this contest, I'm afraid

OblivionKnight

• Boom! Big reveal: I'm a pickle. What do you think about that?
  • Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2010, 02:05:45 AM »
Nah, just wanted to you see your reaction.

Apparently, Rick Rolls have no effect on Meeples
[11:53] <+Meeple_Gorath> me reading, that's a good one

[19:26] * +Terra_Condor looks up. Star Wars Football, what?
[19:27] <+Terra_Condor> Han Kicks First?
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Vader intercepts.
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Touchdown and Alderaan explodes in the victory

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2010, 03:59:51 PM »
DRAMA:
Field of Takamagahara Good (SH2) vs. Arshtat debriefs you after Lordlake (Suikoden V) - Good character work here. Sold me on S5. Close match though.
Jowy says goodbye to Jilia (Suikoden II)  vs. Badrach's Story (Valkyrie Profile) - Badrach is just so charismatic.

STYLE:
Assault of the Silver Dragons vs.  Allen Ridgeley, Owner of Lamers (Xenosaga 3) - I'm going to pretend this scene was mislinked and this is actually the one in the ending where Allen is badass and shooting Gnosis in the face.

HUMOR:
Beach Trip (Persona 3) vs. Omlette! (Persona 4) - When in doubt, P4 > P3.
MR. SNAIL (Eternal Sonata) vs.  End Chapter 7 (Mana Khemia 2) - Mr. Snail is a cruel joke and hurts me.

EXPAND THE WRONGNESS:
No cloud nor squall (Final Fantasy IX)  vs. Manos, the Hand of Golbez (Final Fantasy IV) - Unintentionally hilarious, the other is unintentionally groan-worthy.

James_xeno

• Dark Force
  • Denizen
  • And ye shall be as gods
    • View Profile
    • My 1up profile page
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2010, 08:29:51 PM »
DRAMA:

STYLE:

HUMOR:

EXPAND THE WRONGNESS:
When antelopes cross a river crocodiles will eat some of them, but the majority will still make it through.
Because there are 500 antelope and three crocodiles. Not because the crocodiles are enviornmentalists.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2010, 01:45:20 AM »
HAMMER STOP TALKING