Register

Author Topic: Best Scenes, Round 2, Pool 6 - Okay everyone... be brave  (Read 1670 times)

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Best Scenes, Round 2, Pool 6 - Okay everyone... be brave
« on: October 25, 2010, 03:52:58 AM »
DRAMA:
Might vs Right (SH2) |||| |||| vs. Squall's pep talk during garden fight (FFVIII) ||
Karen's Sacrifice (Xenogears) |||| vs. Zack's Last Stand (Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII) ||

STYLE:
Mission 1 Opening (DMC3) |||| || vs. Chess Battle (ShF2) ||
Edna meets Fear (Wild ARMs XF) |||| ||||  vs. Transcending Love (Suikoden III) |

HUMOR:
Badrach's Story (VP) | vs. Tranny Kyle (LSSSC) |||| ||||[/b]
Branky is a bad boy (Suikoden III) |||| ||| vs. Argilla Cosplays Sera ||

I'M WRONG MAN, BUT YOU CAN CALL ME INCORRECT GUY!
WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOR (MMX4) ||| vs.  What is a Man?! (Castlevania: Symphony of the Night) |||| |

A usual, I must whine.  My whine today will be that CK smells.

Moving on...

DRAMA:
Meeting Kato in the Cemetary (SH2) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75RPtzIV_Pw) vs. The Miracle (SH2) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIuo6s5_YeM)
Arshtat debriefs you after Lordlake (Suikoden V) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkGvrro97HE#t=5m50s - until 9:20) vs. *Badrach's Story (Valkyrie Profile)

*2 Videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIKn7ovOa48
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90R_aRcB3pA&feature=related

STYLE:
Death Ending (Ogre Battle) (http://www.vgmuseum.com/end/snes/c/obdeth.htm) vs. Tibarn vs Lekain (FE10) (see quote below)
Assault of the Silver Dragons (FF9) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eSYOMrTIxk - until about 2:50) vs. "I wish you would embrace God." (Grim Grimoire) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJQxhCO242w&feature=related#t=1m59s)

Tibarn vs. Lekain:
Tibarn: I'm glad I got to you first. See, I heard that the Serenes Massacre was all your doing... That puts you at the very top of the list of the enemies of the bird tribes.
Lekain: That may very well be, but I am under the divine protection of the goddess herself! A shabby sub-human pirate like yourself will find me quite invincible!
Tibarn: As much as I'd love to draw this little chat out, I don't think I can keep my talons out of your neck another instant.
Lekain: Why... Why are you laughing? Are you... enjoying yourself?
Tibarn: Some of us here are just overflowing with the chaos you're causing with this fight. That might be part of it... But, to be honest, there's a part of me that can hardly believe how much fun tearing your head off will be.

HUMOR:
Garan's Pillow (SHC) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EDkq0CTNG8) vs. Dog Ending (Silent Hill 2)(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHU2eqCEJ4o)
Omlette! (Persona 4) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N19NoKukWTM) vs. End Chapter 7 (Mana Khemia 2) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6lNrt2gJJU&feature=related#t=5m - until 6:55)

LETS HAVE A WRONG DIVISION:
Shlooop (Shadow Hearts) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cl6Zo2dFqyc#t=1m56s)  vs. Manos, the Hand of Golbez (Final Fantasy IV) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QO8G92jjf00#t=4m16s)

SHORT FORM!

DRAMA:
Meeting Kato in the Cemetary (SH2) vs. The Miracle (SH2)
Arshtat debriefs you after Lordlake (Suikoden V) vs. Badrach's Story (Valkyrie Profile)

STYLE:
Death Ending (Ogre Battle) vs. Tibarn vs Lekain (FE10)
Assault of the Silver Dragons (FF9) vs. "I wish you would embrace God." (Grim Grimoire)

HUMOR:
Garan's Pillow (SHC) vs. Dog Ending (Silent Hill 2)
Omlette! (Persona 4) vs. End Chapter 7 (Mana Khemia 2)

Shlooop (Shadow Hearts) vs. Manos, the Hand of Golbez (Final Fantasy IV)

[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
Re: Best Scenes, Round 2, Pool 6 - Okay everyone... be brave
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010, 03:59:28 AM »
DRAMA:
Arshtat debriefs you after Lordlake (Suikoden V) vs. Badrach's Story (Valkyrie Profile)

STYLE:
Death Ending (Ogre Battle) vs. Tibarn vs Lekain (FE10)- fff. both good.
Assault of the Silver Dragons (FF9) vs. "I wish you would embrace God." (Grim Grimoire)

HUMOR:
Omlette! (Persona 4) vs. End Chapter 7 (Mana Khemia 2) Yay Flay~

When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2010, 04:39:08 AM »
DRAMA:
Meeting Kato in the Cemetary (SH2) vs. The Miracle (SH2) - SH2 vs. SH2!
Arshtat debriefs you after Lordlake (Suikoden V) vs. Badrach's Story (Valkyrie Profile) - Wait, is Badrach's story in this competition in two categories? Well, I find it particularly strong in Drama, but S5 at its best is hard to top.

STYLE:
Death Ending (Ogre Battle) vs. Tibarn vs Lekain (FE10) - Still really like this scene. It's short, but that works for it. Also, Tibarn feels a little under-utilized in FE10, so these side scenes he gets stand out as a result.
Assault of the Silver Dragons (FF9) vs. "I wish you would embrace God." (Grim Grimoire) - trying not to spoil GG for myself, sorry.

HUMOR:
Garan's Pillow (SHC) vs. Dog Ending (Silent Hill 2) - SH2 vs. SH2, kind of!
Omlette! (Persona 4) vs. End Chapter 7 (Mana Khemia 2) - I like both of these scenes a lot. The P4 scene in particular works a lot better than the other P4 humor noms simply by the addition of Nanako to the cast's dynamic. Yeah, she's a scene-stealer, but that's definitely working in P4's favor.

Shlooop (Shadow Hearts) vs. Manos, the Hand of Golbez (Final Fantasy IV) - I actually like the Shlooop scene better. I crack up every time. But, I have to vote for FF4 because I personally feel that Shlooop's hilariousness was intentional and the first glimmer of the oddly endearing comedy that's more prevalent in SH2/3.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 04:49:27 AM by DjinnAndTonic »

dude789

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2010, 04:41:02 AM »
DRAMA:

STYLE:

HUMOR:

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2010, 04:43:22 AM »
DRAMA:

STYLE:
Death Ending (Ogre Battle) vs. Tibarn vs Lekain (FE10) - Easy.
Assault of the Silver Dragons (FF9) vs. "I wish you would embrace God." (Grim Grimoire) - Also easy.

HUMOR:

Shlooop (Shadow Hearts) vs. Manos, the Hand of Golbez (Final Fantasy IV) - Hilariously bad VA > facepalmery.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2010, 07:03:29 PM »
SHORT FORM!

DRAMA:
Meeting Kato in the Cemetary (SH2) vs. The Miracle (SH2): The opposite of close frankly. Love the Yuri/Kato dynamic in this scene.
Arshtat debriefs you after Lordlake (Suikoden V) vs. Badrach's Story (Valkyrie Profile): Djinn said it best, I think.

STYLE:
Death Ending (Ogre Battle) vs. Tibarn vs Lekain (FE10): Tibarn's good fun in this scene.
Assault of the Silver Dragons (FF9) vs. "I wish you would embrace God." (Grim Grimoire): Abstain, both are good but too different.

HUMOR:
Garan's Pillow (SHC) vs. Dog Ending (Silent Hill 2): Don't care about the pillow scene enough to bother watching its opponent.
Omlette! (Persona 4) vs. End Chapter 7 (Mana Khemia 2): As I recall this P4 humour scene isn't "gag me" level like the camping trip or king's game, but it's still up against Flay being Flay at his best. Poooor Zeppel.

Shlooop (Shadow Hearts) vs. Manos, the Hand of Golbez (Final Fantasy IV): Unsure. I completely disagree with Djinn and think that the humour present in shloooop is very unintentional and just bad. When it was played in front of my friends a few years back the reaction was "WTF is this? This is awful!" But awful in a kind of funny way, which is exactly what the division should be. It's just not -that- funny. And the same goes for Manos. Yeah, it's sort of facepalmery that the PCs just don't do anything to stop the glove. Meeple has done his best to try to elevant it to a bit of a meme. In a vacuum I think the latter is less "wrong" because it's FF4 and I don't expect photo-realistic cutscenes, however. I didn't really think -that- much of the scene when I first saw it, whereas shlooop? Oh you bet I thought that was wrong. So it depends on how much I emphasise the "FUNNY for the wrong reasons" (since DL memes made the latter very funny) or "funny for the WRONG reasons". And I find myself tentatively voting shloop.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

OblivionKnight

• Boom! Big reveal: I'm a pickle. What do you think about that?
  • Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2010, 07:13:39 PM »
DRAMA:

STYLE:

HUMOR:

Shlooop (Shadow Hearts) vs. Manos, the Hand of Golbez (Final Fantasy IV) - SPLAT
[11:53] <+Meeple_Gorath> me reading, that's a good one

[19:26] * +Terra_Condor looks up. Star Wars Football, what?
[19:27] <+Terra_Condor> Han Kicks First?
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Vader intercepts.
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Touchdown and Alderaan explodes in the victory

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2010, 07:25:43 PM »

SHORT FORM!

DRAMA:

STYLE:
Assault of the Silver Dragons (FF9) vs. "I wish you would embrace God." (Grim Grimoire)- This scene is just too awesome. ]
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Dhyerwolf

• Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2010, 08:17:19 PM »
DRAMA:
Meeting Kato in the Cemetary (SH2) vs. The Miracle (SH2)- Meeting Kato is great, but The Miracle was so impactful the first time through. The culmination of Yuri's work and love failing right before his eyes.

STYLE:
Assault of the Silver Dragons (FF9) vs. "I wish you would embrace God." (Grim Grimoire)- RPG badassery is always muted if they are using technology

HUMOR:

...into the nightfall.

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2010, 08:45:40 PM »
DRAMA:
Meeting Kato in the Cemetary (SH2) vs. The Miracle (SH2)- Neither is really a favorite, so lazy kneejerk.

STYLE:
Assault of the Silver Dragons (FF9) vs. "I wish you would embrace God." (Grim Grimoire)- this I had to think about.  And... well, I feel like Lillet's moment here loses some of the power, knowing it's coming.  Assault of the Silver Dragons has never had that for me, it's always been about as powerful as it was the first time around.

HUMOR:
Omlette! (Persona 4) vs. End Chapter 7 (Mana Khemia 2)- I... think?  Yeah, probably.

CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

James_xeno

• Dark Force
  • Denizen
  • And ye shall be as gods
    • View Profile
    • My 1up profile page
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2010, 04:00:49 AM »

DRAMA:
Meeting Kato in the Cemetary (SH2) vs. The Miracle (SH2) - don't care.

STYLE:

HUMOR:

When antelopes cross a river crocodiles will eat some of them, but the majority will still make it through.
Because there are 500 antelope and three crocodiles. Not because the crocodiles are enviornmentalists.

Nephrite

• Denizen
  • President of the Great United States of America
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2010, 06:46:02 AM »

SHORT FORM!

DRAMA:

STYLE:
Death Ending (Ogre Battle) vs. Tibarn vs Lekain (FE10) - Both of these are kind of meh, to be honest.

HUMOR:
Garan's Pillow (SHC) vs. Dog Ending (Silent Hill 2) Rolling Pizza.

Shlooop (Shadow Hearts) vs. Manos, the Hand of Golbez (Final Fantasy IV) - I agree with Elfboy on this. Intentional or not, Shlooop ends up... um... ...something.

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2010, 06:50:16 PM »
SHORT FORM!

DRAMA:

STYLE:

HUMOR:

<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2010, 09:13:24 AM »
DRAMA:
Meeting Kato in the Cemetary (SH2) vs. The Miracle (SH2) - The Kato scene is the highpoint of SH2, and easily blows away the Miracle.

STYLE:

HUMOR: