Author Topic: Rate that OST Mk2, Episode 3, Special Edition  (Read 945 times)

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Rate that OST Mk2, Episode 3, Special Edition
« on: March 17, 2011, 01:58:28 AM »
Yeah, decided to revive this, and...well, basically the same idea.  Only this time, I'm being far more arbitrary about what OST's I pick.  No more patterns, like last time, just going with randomness.

This isn't a thing where we take averages, just lets people reflect on Soundtracks from games, and see what other people's opinions are.  Still doing categories and such, those being, and their explanation:

Favorite Song:Self Explanatory.  What's your favorite song in the sound track, overall.
Least Favorite Song: The opposite of the above!

Favorite Stand Alone Song: Ignoring its usage in the game entirely (since poor usage of a song CAN hurt someone's opinion of it), what's your favorite song stand alone.
Least Favorite Stand Alone Song: ...opposite of the above...

Best Song In Game:  What's your favorite song based solely on the context of how its used.  It can be one instance the song plays for a powerful scene (a dramatic theme playing during a big scene of major character development, even if that song plays elsewhere, for example, could qualify), or how its consistently used throughout (like, say, a Battle Theme); doesn't matter.  Just needs to be based off the context of the game itself.
Worst Song In Game: ...don't have to explain this one...

Most Memorable Song:  What song do you remember the most?  Before you say "how is this different from favorite?" this is not the same.  Songs can be memorable for neutral reasons (like repetitive usage of a song relative to others) *OR* even for bad reasons (I know there's plenty of songs that I remember...and would prefer I couldn't...). 
Favorite melody: How good a song is based solely off its melody.  If you heard a bad-ass remix of a song that you were iffy about based off its official version, or another game re-uses the same song, but makes it a lot better, this would be where you bring it up.

Quality: Rate the game based on its instrumentation, synthing, etc.  All that technical stuff that can make or break soundtracks.  Whether you want to talk about it overall, or relative to when the game was made vs. its contemporaries, or whatever.  Remember that a game can have awesome synthing, great instrumentation, etc. and still produce lackluster songs.  Basically...this is the opposite of favorite melody, just not focused on a single song.
Most Iconic Song: NEW CATEGORY!  If you had to pick one song that best represents this game overall, what would it be?  It doesn't have to be the game's main theme (if it has one).  It doesn't even have to be a GOOD song, or one that portrays the quality of music either.  this is kind of an extension of Most Memorable, but takes a somewhat more objective approach at things.

Other Thoughts: If you have something to say about the OST overall, like talk about its general style or something, this is where you do it.  Basically, anything you feel you want to cover, but couldn't above.

Overall Rating: Give the OST a numeric rating just cause you can.  Do it on a scale of 0-10, with 0 being "MUTE THE TV FOR THE LOVE OF GOD.  THE GAME IS MORE ENJOYABLE THAT WAY" and 10 being "This game could suck on every level, and its still worth playing cause the MUSIC IS THAT BADASS!"

And yes, you can put a "why" for anything.  Given I'm not taking averages, rankings, etc., I just ask that you simply follow the categories.  Honorable mentions are fine too, of course, if you feel something is really close or want to hype a 2nd song or something.  You're allowed to also leave areas blank if you really don't know.  Again, since I'm not actually pooling anything, I don't actually care if you change shit here, just that you try to at least follow the guidelines to some degree.  If you can think of better WORDING for categories or some other category that should be added in, feel free to speak up!

Well, ok, I MIGHT count the average ratings of OSTs if people want it, so people can see the overall opinion of OSTs, but that requires me to decide to not being lazy (or enough whippings by others).

...ok, TECHNICAL STUFF ASIDE, lets start things off with a classic game that more or less created an entire genre...and has too many god damn incarnations...

(Super) Street Fighter 2 *insert whatever subtitle here*:
Favorite Song:
Least Favorite Song:

Favorite Stand Alone Song:
Least Favorite Stand Alone Song:

Best Song In Game:
Worst Song In Game:

Most Memorable Song:
Favorite melody:

Quality:
Most Iconic Song:

Other Thoughts:

Overall Rating:

(yes, technically, Street Fighter 2 and its various incarnations have had changes to songs, but I don't care; you can rate based on ANY version of Street Fighter 2 you remember best, be it original, Turbo, Super, HD Remix, the GB Version, etc.  I'm not going to be picky in this case.)
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: Rate that OST Mk2, Episode 3, Special Edition
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 02:58:24 AM »
Favorite Song: Ken's theme
Least Favorite Song: Ryu's theme, boring.

Most Memorable Song: Guile's theme.

Quality: High
Most Iconic Song: Probably Guile's theme.

Other Thoughts: Fun OST.

"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
Re: Rate that OST Mk2, Episode 3, Special Edition
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2011, 09:47:20 AM »
You make me so depressed sometimes.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.