Register

Author Topic: Anime OPED - week 3  (Read 3237 times)

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
Anime OPED - week 3
« on: March 16, 2011, 08:39:06 AM »
Onward and upward to week three!  Will Tylor or a bunch of crazy people be the one laughing all the way to the bank?  Will Gundam Wing win its two front war?  Will that trippy show I watched in college (Eva) beat that other trippy show I watched in college (Utena)?  Only you can decide.  Well, you and the rest of those philistines.  But I count your opinion the most.

Openings
Gigantor OP vs. Galaxy Whirlwind Braiger OP (Ginga Senpuu Braiger)
Paranoia Agent OP (Yume no Shima Shinen Kouen) vs. Irresponsible Captain Tylor OP (Just Think of Tomorrow)  
Baccano OP (Gun's&Roses) vs. Gundam Wing  OP1 (Just Communication)  
Umineko no Naku Koro ni OP (One Winged Bird) vs. Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagaan OP1 (Sora Iro Days)  

Soul Eater OP2 (Black Paper Moon) vs. Paprika (Nigeru Mono)  
Higurashi no Naku Koro ni OP (Higurashi no Naku Koro ni) vs. Gundam Wing  OP2 (Rhythm Emotion)  
Neon Genesis Evangelion (The Cruel Angel's Thesis) vs. Revolutionary Girl Utena OP (-rinbu- revolution)
Chrono Crusade OP (Tsubasa wa Pleasure Line) vs. Bokurano OP (Uninstall)  

Endings
Rurouni Kenshin ED3 (Heart of Sword) vs. Angelic Layer ED 2 (Ame Agari)  
Gundam SEED ED (Anna No Issho Datta No Ni) vs. Meloncholy of Haruhi Suzumiya ED (Hare Hare Yukai)  
Neon Genesis Evangelion (Fry Me to za Moon) vs. Trapeze ED (Shangri-La)
Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica ED (Magia) vs. Gundam SEED CE 73 Stargazer ED (Stargazer ~Door to the Stars~)

Last week's results:

Openings
X tv OP (Ex Dream):8 vs. Gundam 0083 OP1 (The Winner):4
Vision of Escaflowne OP (Yakusoku wa Irenai):7 vs. Beck OP (Hit in America):6  
Shin Mazinger Impact! Z Chapter OP1 (Kanjite KNIGHT):9 vs. Bakemonogatari OP1 (Staple Stable):4  
Cromartie High School OP (Jun):8 vs. Aquarion (Sousei no Aquarion):4

Nadesico OP (You Get to Burning):2 vs. Soul Eater OP1 (Resonance):10
Level E OP (Cold Finger Girl):9 vs. Boogiepop Phantom OP (Yuudachi):2
Kodocha OP1 (7:00 News):12 vs. Fruits Basket OP (For Fruits Basket):0
Sokyuu no Fafner OP:3 vs. GitS:SAC: The Second Gig OP (Rise):9

Endings
.hack//Dusk ED (Emerald Green):3 vs. Macross Frontier ED (Diamond Crevasse):7
Bakemonogatari ED (Kimi no Shiranai Monogatari):8 vs. Slayers NEXT ED (Jama wa Sasenai):4
Clannad ED  (Dango Daikazoku):8 vs. Beelzebub ED (Answer):3
Arad Senki ED (Hateshinai Sekai):6 vs. Eden of the East ED (futuristic imagination):7
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 03:48:04 AM by NotMiki »
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Veryslightlymad

• CONCEPTUALIZATION [Challenging: Success]
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Shitposts are a type of art for webforums
    • View Profile
Re: Anime OPED - week 3
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 09:39:36 AM »
Openings
~Oh my GOD. This is so campy and wonderful.

Paranoia Agent OP (Yume no Shima Shinen Kouen) vs. Irresponsible Captain Tylor OP (Just Think of Tomorrow)
~Both are really bad. The first's visual gets repetitive and, frankly, creepy after a while. And its music is actually pretty bad. The second.... I like the music and then it gets Engrishy and I dislike it. And there are sound effects that are really, really painful to listen to at the very beginning and a different one near the end. The live-person dancing over top of the affair makes me feel like I'm on mushrooms and just seems out of place. Voted for it anyhow, since at least there was some parts of the music that I like.

Baccano OP (Gun's&Roses) vs. Gundam Wing  OP1 (Just Communication)
~Not close. The Baccano! OP is really, REALLY good.

Umineko no Naku Koro ni OP (One Winged Bird) vs. Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagaan OP1 (Sora Iro Days)
~Neither is bad. I gave the nod to the first one because, when it came on I thought I'd dislike it, but then it won me over. This leads me to believe that I'd eventually actually like the music. ALSO, it was much better visually. So it gets points there, too.

~Boring music and amusing visuals > Boring visuals and shitty music.

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni OP (Higurashi no Naku Koro ni) vs. Gundam Wing  OP2 (Rhythm Emotion)
~I'm gonna be honest. I turned the first one off because of how bad it was. It looked pretty, but I'd have had to listen to it on Mute. Incidentally, I'm VERY glad Gundam Wing replaced the first OP with this one. >_>

Neon Genesis Evangelion (The Cruel Angel's Thesis) vs. Revolutionary Girl Utena OP (-rinbu- revolution)
~I knew (and liked) the NGE theme without having watched NGE. So there's that. The Utena one is decent.

~Hate the visuals, don't mind the song. That'll give it more points than the reverse, which is true for the other OP. Because if I were watching these animes, I could look away from the screen.

Endings
~Pretty catchy vs instant turnoff.

Gundam SEED ED (Anna No Issho Datta No Ni) vs. Meloncholy of Haruhi Suzumiya ED (Hare Hare Yukai)
~It will never get out of my head. GET OUT OF MY HEAD. In respect to the other ED, it's not bad at all, and it REALLY needs a mention for it's animation. "But VSM" you say, "it's animation is nothing special." And that's where you're wrong. Because if you look at it, you can make out the individual cells moving, and the three layers of cells are moving at different rates, which is really fucking cool. So kudos to you, Gundam SEED.

~Holy SHIT. Sinatra. Well, not really. Someone else wrote it. But YAY!

Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica ED (Magia) vs. Gundam SEED CE 73 Stargazer ED (Stargazer ~Door to the Stars~)
Hmmm. Very nice strings versus an ED that I literally skip every single week. And I'd skip the damn commercials for the stupid fucking song that appear on Star Driver if I could. Basically, fuck Magia forever.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 10:41:05 PM »
Openings
Paranoia Agent OP (Yume no Shima Shinen Kouen) vs. Irresponsible Captain Tylor OP (Just Think of Tomorrow) - I like both, but Tylor's short-form narrative is just too much fun.
Baccano OP (Gun's&Roses) vs. Gundam Wing  OP1 (Just Communication) - Argh.  I really, really like the visuals in both of these.
Umineko no Naku Koro ni OP (One Winged Bird) vs. Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagaan OP1 (Sora Iro Days) - Gotta go with the song that makes me want to crank up the volume.

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni OP (Higurashi no Naku Koro ni) vs. Gundam Wing  OP2 (Rhythm Emotion) - hrm.
Neon Genesis Evangelion (The Cruel Angel's Thesis) vs. Revolutionary Girl Utena OP (-rinbu- revolution) - Goddammit.  Not fair.

Endings
Rurouni Kenshin ED3 (Heart of Sword) vs. Angelic Layer ED 2 (Ame Agari) - Kenshin's visuals are kinda fun, but the song's annoying.  I absolutely love Angelic Layer's music and visuals.
Gundam SEED ED (Anna No Issho Datta No Ni) vs. Meloncholy of Haruhi Suzumiya ED (Hare Hare Yukai) - you just can't argue with that energy.
Neon Genesis Evangelion (Fry Me to za Moon) vs. Trapeze ED (Shangri-La) - Apathy
Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica ED (Magia) vs. Gundam SEED CE 73 Stargazer ED (Stargazer ~Door to the Stars~) - This is what you get for inflicting a minute and a half of stepwise open fifths on me, Magia.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 08:38:01 AM by NotMiki »

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2011, 10:41:58 PM »
Openings
Baccano OP (Gun's&Roses) vs. Gundam Wing  OP1 (Just Communication)

Soul Eater OP2 (Black Paper Moon) vs. Paprika (Nigeru Mono) - moontrollface was awesome though
Higurashi no Naku Koro ni OP (Higurashi no Naku Koro ni) vs. Gundam Wing  OP2 (Rhythm Emotion)

Endings
Neon Genesis Evangelion (Fry Me to za Moon) vs. Trapeze ED (Shangri-La) - fish?

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2011, 03:23:28 AM »
Openings
Paranoia Agent OP (Yume no Shima Shinen Kouen) vs. Irresponsible Captain Tylor OP (Just Think of Tomorrow) -
Baccano OP (Gun's&Roses) vs. Gundam Wing  OP1 (Just Communication) -
Umineko no Naku Koro ni OP (One Winged Bird) vs. Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagaan OP1 (Sora Iro Days) -

Neon Genesis Evangelion (The Cruel Angel's Thesis) vs. Revolutionary Girl Utena OP (-rinbu- revolution) -

Endings
Rurouni Kenshin ED3 (Heart of Sword) vs. Angelic Layer ED 2 (Ame Agari) -
Gundam SEED ED (Anna No Issho Datta No Ni) vs. Meloncholy of Haruhi Suzumiya ED (Hare Hare Yukai) -
Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica ED (Magia) vs. Gundam SEED CE 73 Stargazer ED (Stargazer ~Door to the Stars~):
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 03:56:03 AM by Fudozukushi »

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2011, 08:44:05 AM »
Openings
Gigantor OP vs. Galaxy Whirlwind Braiger OP (Ginga Senpuu Braiger)- Both ride on nostalgia.  But I watched more crappy 60s american animation than crappy 70s anime.
Paranoia Agent OP (Yume no Shima Shinen Kouen) vs. Irresponsible Captain Tylor OP (Just Think of Tomorrow)  - Paranoia Agent's song... grates on me.
Baccano OP (Gun's&Roses) vs. Gundam Wing  OP1 (Just Communication)- Jazzy piece is a nice change of pace.  I don't... know what the hell Just Communication is even going for.
Umineko no Naku Koro ni OP (One Winged Bird) vs. Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagaan OP1 (Sora Iro Days)  - So that's what that song's attached to.  unimpressive, but the song is still stronger than Sora Iro Days.

Soul Eater OP2 (Black Paper Moon) vs. Paprika (Nigeru Mono)  - HOLY SHIT SOUL EATER DOESN'T WIN ON VISUALS.  Sadly!  Crushes in music.
Higurashi no Naku Koro ni OP (Higurashi no Naku Koro ni) vs. Gundam Wing  OP2 (Rhythm Emotion)- Rhythm Emotion kinda loses its way here and there, while slasher loli girls stays strong throughout.  In addition to just being so, well, unique. Mostly though this song seriously grew on me in the last music tourney, so.

Endings
Rurouni Kenshin ED3 (Heart of Sword) vs. Angelic Layer ED 2 (Ame Agari)  - Kenshin's singer does nothing for me.
Gundam SEED ED (Anna No Issho Datta No Ni) vs. Meloncholy of Haruhi Suzumiya ED (Hare Hare Yukai)  - SEED's ED isn't bad, probably would beat a fair amount of things, but we like big dreams, right?
Neon Genesis Evangelion (Fry Me to za Moon) vs. Trapeze ED (Shangri-La)- Why are there fish, anyway?
Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica ED (Magia) vs. Gundam SEED CE 73 Stargazer ED (Stargazer ~Door to the Stars~)- Sure this isn't an OP?  Anyway, it's certainly the better thing.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

mia~

• miasmacloud
  • Denizen
  • bored rich kid wants to blow shit up
    • View Profile
    • http://srsfkn.biz
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2011, 12:17:44 PM »
1) The ending animation of Trapeze changes every episode and all 11 episodes have unique ending sequences. Each episode has a patient that the psych treats and the ending is a "preview" for the next episode's patient. The one linked is for a patient who has a fear of sharp edges, hence the focus on the fish point.
2) Hoshi no Tobira is the ending to Stargazer (it has no opening). The ending "animation" is just the staff credit roll. The video that NotMiki is a promo video, iirc. (It's been a while since Stargazer.)
3) The version of Magia linked is a fan karaoke.

Openings
Gigantor OP vs. Galaxy Whirlwind Braiger OP (Ginga Senpuu Braiger) - Apathy
Baccano OP (Gun's&Roses) vs. Gundam Wing  OP1 (Just Communication)  - No fuck you Gundam Wing

Endings
Gundam SEED ED (Anna No Issho Datta No Ni) vs. Meloncholy of Haruhi Suzumiya ED (Hare Hare Yukai)  - Yeah no
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 12:20:07 PM by mia~ »

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2011, 03:52:30 AM »
1) No kidding?  Cool.  Well, if people want to go dig up other versions of the video and vote on the basis of those, they're welcome to do so.
2) Close enough, I suppose.
3) Fixed.  It was a decent karaoke, so I doubt it's gonna change too many people's opinions to hear the legit version.

EDIT: goddammit, now I've got that crappy Madoka song stuck in my head.  ugh.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 02:01:42 AM by NotMiki »

Twilkitri

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2011, 12:37:15 AM »
Openings

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni OP (Higurashi no Naku Koro ni) vs. Gundam Wing  OP2 (Rhythm Emotion)

Endings

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2011, 03:43:47 AM »
Openings

Gigantor OP vs. Galaxy Whirlwind Braiger OP (Ginga Senpuu Braiger): That was pretty special. The child's steely, soulless gaze haunts me still.
Paranoia Agent OP (Yume no Shima Shinen Kouen) vs. Irresponsible Captain Tylor OP (Just Think of Tomorrow): It's Satoshi Kon, any creepiness is wholly intentional. The mushroom cloud gets me every time.
Baccano OP (Gun's&Roses) vs. Gundam Wing  OP1 (Just Communication): General rule, higher prominence of mecha equals lower level of Cids caring. Also Isaac/Miria, yay.
Umineko no Naku Koro ni OP (One Winged Bird) vs. Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagaan OP1 (Sora Iro Days): See above, add it to music I don't really like and slap it in front of a show I thought was rubbish (hard to shake the association). Umineko isn't much and the music sounds ripped from a Gust game (not a bad thing, just leaves me with a been-there-done-that reaction), but it's still enough here.

Soul Eater OP2 (Black Paper Moon) vs. Paprika (Nigeru Mono): Soul Eater's still pretty good at leaving an impression visually (even if it does lean too much on the "Look at all the characters our show has! Half of which won't develop memorable personalities because there are just too many" angle). Still, I can't really go against Satoshi Kon. Paprika opening captures the movie's dream-logic well.
Higurashi no Naku Koro ni OP (Higurashi no Naku Koro ni) vs. Gundam Wing  OP2 (Rhythm Emotion): Gets the job done well enough, I guess.
Neon Genesis Evangelion (The Cruel Angel's Thesis) vs. Revolutionary Girl Utena OP (-rinbu- revolution): This is actually a shame since Cruel Angel's Thesis is the only thing Eva did right. There's plenty of stuff here I'd vote it over. But, Utena.
Chrono Crusade OP (Tsubasa wa Pleasure Line) vs. Bokurano OP (Uninstall): I think I saw a gunslinging nun in there somewhere, so that's something.

Endings

Rurouni Kenshin ED3 (Heart of Sword) vs. Angelic Layer ED 2 (Ame Agari): I guess.
Gundam SEED ED (Anna No Issho Datta No Ni) vs. Meloncholy of Haruhi Suzumiya ED (Hare Hare Yukai): It just bores into your brain.
Neon Genesis Evangelion (Fry Me to za Moon) vs. Trapeze ED (Shangri-La): Huh, I remembered Eva having more Engrish here. Anyway, still beats the pants off of whatever that other thing was. I was like, "Is this a Lenscrafters commercial or something?" and then OH GOD what the hell was that.
Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica ED (Magia) vs. Gundam SEED CE 73 Stargazer ED (Stargazer ~Door to the Stars~): I guess mk. 2.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 03:46:05 AM by El Cideon »

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2011, 12:55:48 AM »
Openings
Gigantor OP vs. Galaxy Whirlwind Braiger OP (Ginga Senpuu Braiger) - Camp factor.
Paranoia Agent OP (Yume no Shima Shinen Kouen) vs. Irresponsible Captain Tylor OP (Just Think of Tomorrow) - The latter is enjoyable but I never really got as attached to it as others. Meanwhile, the other one is just completely awesome.
Baccano OP (Gun's&Roses) vs. Gundam Wing  OP1 (Just Communication) - Flatout victory. SFX in an OP are usually a huge nono, Gundam Wing.
Umineko no Naku Koro ni OP (One Winged Bird) vs. Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagaan OP1 (Sora Iro Days) - Song power here.

Soul Eater OP2 (Black Paper Moon) vs. Paprika (Nigeru Mono) - I like Tommy heavenly6, but she's just outclassed by Susumu Hirasawa, whose music just exhudes class and style. Also gets destroyed visually.
Higurashi no Naku Koro ni OP (Higurashi no Naku Koro ni) vs. Gundam Wing  OP2 (Rhythm Emotion) - Again with the SFX, Gundam Wing...
Neon Genesis Evangelion (The Cruel Angel's Thesis) vs. Revolutionary Girl Utena OP (-rinbu- revolution) - Less difficult than I thought it'd be.
Chrono Crusade OP (Tsubasa wa Pleasure Line) vs. Bokurano OP (Uninstall) - Chrono Crusade's was always a surprisingly good OP to me, but Bokurano just captures the show in every way possible, from the lyrics, to tone, to visuals.

Endings
Rurouni Kenshin ED3 (Heart of Sword) vs. Angelic Layer ED 2 (Ame Agari) - Hard choice here. Apathy setting in. The song for the former is one of the only decent things about Kenshin, but the animation hardly ever works. The latter is simple enough. Everyone needs a well-deserved rest~
Neon Genesis Evangelion (Fry Me to za Moon) vs. Trapeze ED (Shangri-La) - As mia has pointed out, Trapeze does a lot of different things with it's ending that makes me smile and appreciate the thought that went into it. Sinatra is great, but Trapeze's kind of wit beats twirling naked Rei.
Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica ED (Magia) vs. Gundam SEED CE 73 Stargazer ED (Stargazer ~Door to the Stars~) - Is the latter really an ED? The vid says OP and I see conflicting information about what it is...

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2011, 02:16:28 AM »
Gundam SEED CE 73 Stargazer ED (Stargazer ~Door to the Stars~) - Is the latter really an ED? The vid says OP and I see conflicting information about what it is...

ANN says it's an ED.  never seen the show, but I'll take their word for it.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2011, 04:29:08 AM »
Old and mildly amusing vs. sucks.
Okay but not my style vs. sucks.
Easy, although Gundam Wing's would have sadly crushed all the above 4.
Gurren Lagan's was okay, but Umineko sells both mystery and drama quite well for an OP while being cool.  Well done.  (Also, do they only show the OP in the later episodes?  I don't recall that *at all* from the ~4 episodes of Gurren Lagan I watched, but maybe the download had the OP stripped or something.  Or I could just be forgetful.)

Not entirely comfortable voting for Paprika anyway since it's a movie, not a series OP, and the expected style is very different.  But Soul Eater is authentically pretty great anyway so it doesn't matter.
Meh to both.
Both are great.  Eva's is great all the way, while Utena's takes a bit too long with Utena & Anthy staring at each other on the grass.  But still pretty darn close, these two crush the rest of the pod.
I like both the song and the visuals better.  Hurray for sepia or something.  Bokurano, re Soppy's comment...  I had absolutely no idea what the show was about, aside from maybe slice-of-life during a robot invasion?!  Okay, looking it up on Wikipedia, that was totally wrong.  I'll just take a pass on it.

Endings
Awesome vs. tranquilized schoolgirls.  Hmm, let's think this one over.
Much as I like SEED's music, the sheer infectious energy of Melancholy wins.
Can they both lose?  Maybe Trapeze has better other EDs but too much "KISS KISS KISS" for my tastes, and I agree it feels like the worst LensCrafters commercial ever.
Sure I'm down for the evil drama OP just because it's rare.  And also has evil chimes in the background.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2011, 11:00:27 AM »
Gurren Lagan's was okay, but Umineko sells both mystery and drama quite well for an OP while being cool.  Well done.  (Also, do they only show the OP in the later episodes?  I don't recall that *at all* from the ~4 episodes of Gurren Lagan I watched, but maybe the download had the OP stripped or something.  Or I could just be forgetful.)

I believe they used a different OP for the latter half of the series, but I don't remember the OP regularly not being there at all.

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2011, 11:29:46 AM »
Gurren Lagan's was okay, but Umineko sells both mystery and drama quite well for an OP while being cool.  Well done.  (Also, do they only show the OP in the later episodes?  I don't recall that *at all* from the ~4 episodes of Gurren Lagan I watched, but maybe the download had the OP stripped or something.  Or I could just be forgetful.)

I believe they used a different OP for the latter half of the series, but I don't remember the OP regularly not being there at all.

It might not be in the first episode, and some episodes do delay its start.  They use the same song for the whole run, but the animation changes at certain points.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2011, 01:35:36 AM »
1 day warning