Register

Author Topic: Digital Rights Management, thoughts?  (Read 1161 times)

TranceHime

• Let's have a freaking kid!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • That'll solve ALL our problems!
    • View Profile
Digital Rights Management, thoughts?
« on: November 04, 2011, 11:25:52 AM »
Survey here

Good day everybody, I have here this survey which I would like to be answered for a research paper I am doing for uni. I admit it's a bit of a juvenile way to go about things, but I would appreciate it if I could collect the opinions of as many consumers/users as possible, I have already disseminated this in quite a few places.

But in particular I would also like to see what your own thoughts are on DRM; basically I am trying to get evidence that DRM is sort of this bad thing, and I would like to see just who out of you are quite passionate about the topic in question! It would be great to get some discussion on this going. Cheers!
19:35:58 (trancehime) there's a specific spot in the game that's for item duping
19:36:14 (Sanae) o.o
19:39:11 (Sanae) I'd love to dupe a second trancehime.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
Re: Digital Rights Management, thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2011, 05:03:20 PM »
I'd take the survey, but it feels designed for people who are much more knowledgeable about the subject than I am (which is to say, knowledgeable at all).

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2011, 05:39:56 PM »
Done and done.

Lady Door

• Coming up with words is, like...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ... really hard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2011, 06:32:58 PM »
On the whole, I appreciate what DRM is trying to accomplish, but I think it defeats the purpose far more often than it serves it.

For a graphic version of my feelings on DRM and rights management in general, see:

A textual version of my feelings: "Goddamnit, iTunes!"

To be fair, I have mixed feelings about copyright in general. I'm not such a fan of the way it functions. So a system which was built explicitly to protect copyright, well...
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 08:08:08 PM by Lady Door »
<Demedais> Humans look like cars to me.
<AndrewRogue> That must be confusing in parking lots

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2011, 09:27:38 PM »
This survey asks about DRM as a whole, but not all DRM are created the same.  The biggest fear for DRM for me is if the source of authentication goes dead - are you *renting* music or *buying* music for example?  Do I need a constant connection to the Internet?  These kinds of fears help nuke any source I don't trust, but probably would not be a big deal with old iTunes, for example.

Also, something like Steam is perfectly fine for DRM.  I'm only going to be playing games on Internet-connected desktops and laptops, and Steam's DRM saves me a trip to the store and offers pretty big discounts on older games.  The only problem is, say, booting a laptop on a plane, but Steam lets you keep old authenticated sessions, so it's not a big deal.

DRM is plainly a "disadvantage" when looked at alone, but you have to ask what the DRM is getting you.  In the case of Steam, it's obvious - cheap digital download games.  For old iTunes, it's moderate - you don't get THAT big a discount off store prices.  For random other small things, it's probably not contributing enough and is actually bad. So yeah, not really a one-size-fits-all answer.

Lady Door

• Coming up with words is, like...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ... really hard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2011, 10:51:59 PM »
The problem with digital-delivery and digital-control DRM is that the trend is now to license the material. It may always have been that way, but there didn't used to be a way to revoke licensing privileges. Now there is: someone can pull back your DRM product, take away the thing you paid money for, because THEY control the access, and they get to decide that.

See: Amazon pulling versions of Kindle books, EA/Origin killing online access accounts and thus preventing access to newly purchased games, etc.
<Demedais> Humans look like cars to me.
<AndrewRogue> That must be confusing in parking lots