Register

Author Topic: ToR3 - Round 1, Pool A  (Read 1093 times)

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
ToR3 - Round 1, Pool A
« on: January 30, 2012, 09:06:06 AM »
Round 1 - Pool A

Match #1.

And so we start, not with a random event, but the foundation of all things DL, namely, a duel. Heck, even one of the contenders is a familiar face.  After all, we all know and love Worker 8, the magic immune construct who works his foes to death.  The randomness comes in his opponent. And what an opponent this is...

Fresh from the North Pole, it's Jolly Saint Nick himself. Yes, Worker 8 is up against the Man from the North Pole. Sadly, since this is a duel, most of his advantages, time shenanigans, extreme high speed transport, and manufacturing capabilities second to none, will have little to no effect against this combat machine. His only real hope is that, somehow, he can justify having a taser, or some other form of device that can carry a spark. Since physical lightning attacks are Worker 8's bane.

Of course...  if you follow that Santa can only exist on Faith...  then, well, this may not be the right opponent for him.

Match #2

Putting words on a page sounds easy, but when it comes down to it, who can not only manage to get 50k words strung together in a story, but to also make them something you'd want to read?

That said, both of our competitors are likely to actually finish. I mean, first up we've got Sir Lancelot the Brave, who's a certified questor for the Holy Grail. And, while, sure, he's likely going to write something epic, with some adulterous romance going on...  and possibly some other goings on...  I mean, the knights were kinda off kilter even before meeting up with Monty Python, and the killer rabbits, and the French...  Ok, so maybe he won't finish... But it'll be surreal if he does.

Then again, he's up against a product of mad science. Specifically, a bionic chicken that has been forced to watch the worst and most horrific of pop culture.  Assuming it's been programmed to write, and it can produce anything that isn't mad chickenscratch, this'll likely be a horror/comedy for the ages.

Match #3

Another Tourney, another Metal Gear Challenge, where both competitors will be given a task that can only be achieved with a combination of stealth, smarts, and skill. How fortunate then that both of our competitors this time are not just military men, not just superhuman military men, but they are the ideal to which all who hold the title Captain strive to reach.  Truly, the only difference is what they represent, for one is the defender of Freedom and Liberty, while the other is the Defender of Earth itself.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I give to you, Captain Gordon vs. Captain America.

Match #4

London's finest gather in a seedy bar, smoke creating a haze in the air, as the songstress finishes her song and steps aside. After all, she's just the opening act for a show that'll keep society talking for months. Apparently, the Great Detective himself is taking to the stage, and singing an arrangement of popular songs. And it's all as part of a contest against a thinking machine from the future of exotic Nippon.

Match #5

Much like writing a novel, directing a movie is a task that requires creativity. However, it also requires a much finer eye for detail, as you not only have to balance the story and characters, but you also have to manage the actors, and have a keen eye for detail on the set. And in the end, the goal is less to finish, but to see who can produce the finest film.

Stocke, the finest member of Alistel's Special Task Force, is actually rather well suited for this. He has a good eye for detail, and is capable of dealing well with even the worst of actors. The only question is, what kind of movie would he make?

A question that Fawful does not have. After all, hailing from near the Mushroom Kingdom, it's hard to imagine how he'd get the actors or script for anything the isn't surreal. The only question is, how well can he direct a movie?

Match #6

And so we have our first exception from the old format. Before, every match was two people, facing off in some inane task. Now, we have several people facing off, though the task this time isn't really inane. Instead, we have a team battle, where two teams of four will have to learn to work together in order to win and move on.

The first team is looking to actually be rather well balanced, with each member having something useful to bring to the team, and no one member being explicitely stronger than all the rest.  Sterling Archer works well with intelligence and counter-espionage, as well as handling special ops. The Terran Marine is the front line grunt, providing cover fire and damage absorbtion for the main fight. Mog is the artillery with his slam dancing likely to provide the bulk of their muscle. And finally, Simon Belmont, experienced adventurer will likely anchor their team as leader, providing support wherever it's necessary.

Against them is a far less balanced team, though possibly a more powerful one. If nothing else, they'll have the cheap Godzilla knock-off in Reptar, as well as a villain's power in Sho Minamoto and a l'Cie with Snow Villiers. And that's without going into whatever powers Pinkie Pie brings into the mix. Of course, while they're powerful, there's also a leadership vacuum, with Sho and Snow unlikely to accept each other's lead, and Reptar quite possibly rampaging on his own team as well as his enemies.

And so, the main question may be, whether teamwork or power will win the day.

Quick Vote Form:

1. Santa Clause v. Worker 8 - Duel
2. Sir Lancelot the Brave v. Robot Chicken - Writing a Novel
3. Captain America vs. Captain Gordon - Metal Gear Challenge
4. Iris (MMX4) vs. Sherlock Holmes - Kareoke
5. Stocke (Radiant Historia) vs. Fawful (M&L:SSS) - Directing a Movie

6. Sterling Archer, Terran Marine (Starcraft), Mog, Simon Belmont vs.
    Reptar (Rugrats), Pinkie Pie (MLP:FiM), Sho Minamoto (TWEWY), Snow Villiers (FF13) - Team Battle

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
Re: ToR3 - Round 1, Pool A
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 09:33:21 AM »

Bad draw for Claus.

I... really doubt the chicken's literacy.

The worst possible event for Gordon.  WORST.  POSSIBLE.  EVENT.

It's Holmes.  I'm pretty sure that as long as he doesn't ahve to a) be sober or b) be nice to people, he can do damn near anything, and singing is included under everything.

Ignoring that Stocke can abuse time travel and complete the whole project in 3 months despite having to think about every decision carefully, he will actually finish the movie.  Fawful would be good at STARING in a movie, where all you need to do is point a camera at him for  a few weeks until 2 hours of good stuff can be edited together, but having to DIRECT?  He wouldn't have a production team by the third day.

Reptar (Rugrats), Pinkie Pie (MLP:FiM), Sho Minamoto (TWEWY), Snow Villiers (FF13) - Team Battle

Well... Team A is definitely more likely to form a team, but... when you have chibi-Godzilla sometimes that just doesn't mean much.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 10:01:11 AM »
1. Santa Clause v. Worker 8 - Duel - There's no E in Santa Claus, dammit. Also, Santa from Secret of Mana turned into a Frost Giant, so I'm thinking he can handle Worker.

2. Sir Lancelot the Brave v. Robot Chicken - Writing a Novel - Ugh, RC occasionally has a good skit, but holy crap anti-chicken vote based on experience.

3. Captain America vs. Captain Gordon - Metal Gear Challenge - Although the mental image of Gordon in a cardboard box amuses me.

4. Iris (MMX4) vs. Sherlock Holmes - Kareoke - KarAoke isn't really Holmes' thing, but he likes to play games so he'd rise to the challenge in my opinion.

5. Stocke (Radiant Historia) vs. Fawful (M&L:SSS) - Directing a Movie - Another win for general competence... also Time Travel.

Simon takes on giant monsters all the time. Sho is powerless outside of Reaperland. Mog and Snow cancel out. My vote comes down to Archer/Marine vs. Pinkie Pie... and honestly it was tough choice! Voting in favor of competence again.

OblivionKnight

• Boom! Big reveal: I'm a pickle. What do you think about that?
  • Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 02:24:58 PM »
1. Santa Claus v. Worker 8 - Duel
Dude, it's freaking Santa Claus.  The man is 400+ years old, has an awful diet, and STILL manages to get around the world, down chimneys, and bang his wife all in one night.  He clearly can do damn well whatever he pleases.  Faith doesn't matter here - look at his representation in other media: a frost giant, a robot, Satan, a murderer, a pimp, a SSJ...Santa is clearly a fucking demi-god here.  He thinks Worker 8 into a delicious Toll House cookie and FUCKING EATS HIM.

Chicken is perfectly able to write - he does it all the time.  Take a look at Season 1, Episode 20, and Season 5, Episode 20.  He's more than able to write on sign-posts in a split second.  Far faster than Sir Lancelot, whose never seen a computer in his life.  And is gay.  The best he'll write is a gay romance novel, and those sell poorly.  Chicken, on the other hand, with his heart-wrenching, tear-inducing backstory of torture and loss, will get his story told on Oprah, and we all know how powerful Oprah is. 

I...it just amuses me more. 

4. Iris (MMX4) vs. Sherlock Holmes - Karaoke
If Pierce Brosnan can sing in Momma Mia, Sherlock Holmes can karaoke well enough to beat a robot.

Not a challenge.

If there were women on the other team, Archer could just lay them all and win there.  Otherwise...Reptar is a stuffed animal, so a few gauss rounds take him out.  Sho has no power in the real world, so he's out.  No idea about Pinkie Pie, honestly, but I don't think he/she/it/Meeple can get around laurels and holy water.  And a giant FLAMING WHIP.
[11:53] <+Meeple_Gorath> me reading, that's a good one

[19:26] * +Terra_Condor looks up. Star Wars Football, what?
[19:27] <+Terra_Condor> Han Kicks First?
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Vader intercepts.
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Touchdown and Alderaan explodes in the victory

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 02:39:53 PM »

1. Santa Claus v. Worker 8 - Duel- mismatch.
3. Captain America vs. Captain Gordon - Metal Gear Challenge- Another gross mismatch. Cap is probably the best person in the entire tournament at this- it's a direct application of his military talents and knowledge.
4. Iris (MMX4) vs. Sherlock Holmes - Kareoke- A forlorn Japanese robot in Karoke? Whoof. Holmes has talent, but this is not his fight.

Reptar (Rugrats), Pinkie Pie (MLP:FiM), Sho Minamoto (TWEWY), Snow Villiers (FF13) - Team Battle- Yeah, what OK said.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2012, 03:23:25 PM »

Uh yeah. To counter Djinn's hype, I'm pretty sure Worker 8 shreds an unimpressive SoM boss who IIRC is reliant on ice magic. Otherwise mismatch.

He has the media experience already. I dunno if he can physically write, but I'd see no problem with dictating anyway.

Gordon. Stealth. No.

We really have no idea how good Iris would be at this. Super thinks she'd presumably be programmed for it but that assumes anyone still cares about karaoke or lyrical music in general by her time. I can see votes either way being reasonable here, but when in doubt, vote for the one who isn't going to be held back by MMX4 voice acting.

Uh yeah, competence.

Pretty easy, this team feels like its members are just much more powerful. Don't really care about organisation here, Snow or Pinkie Pie alone could shred most of the other team... possibly Reptar as well depending on interp there.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

ThePiggyman

• Denizen
  • The Lonely People (Are Getting Lonelier)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2012, 06:26:44 PM »
Worker 8 can handle all but the most raging of atheists. Santa is a by-product of faith, demi-god or not.

Gay romance novels actually sell really well, especially among older women. Who woulda known?

I think Gordon's lack of stealth has been commented on enough already.

Sherlock Holmes singing Journey's Don't Stop Believin'? Hell yeah.

Time travel probably means that Stocke can make the most historically accurate movie ever made, and that alone might net him an Oscar.

IT'S GODDAMN REPTAR!
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 06:58:15 PM by ThePiggyman »
Quote from: DjinnAndTonic
Quote from: OblivionKnight
if you believe in being a GOOD PERSON

If we believed in that, we wouldn't be forcing world-saving hero to fight eachother to the death for our amusement.

dude789

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2012, 07:51:24 PM »
1. Santa Clause v. Worker 8 - Duel Santa has probably made so many electronic gifts that he knows how to turn off worker 8. Alternatively, Santa's super speed gives him 100 turns per 1 of Worker 8's. He probably has super strength from lugging around that giant sack as well and I give him the "HOHOHO" brass knuckles from the Billy and Mandy Save Christmas special.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 11:39:39 PM by dude789 »

Nitori

• Denizen
  • The only thing YOU'RE onto is your mot-
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2012, 09:40:25 PM »
    Reptar (Rugrats), Pinkie Pie (MLP:FiM), Sho Minamoto (TWEWY), Snow Villiers (FF13)

party artillery and the mathematical skills to aim it properly
godstomp
<Ko-NitoriisSulpher> roll 1d100 to grade Nitori?
<Hatbot> ACTION --> "Ko-NitoriisSulpher rolls 1d100 to grade Nitori? and gets 100." [1d100=100]

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2012, 10:50:36 PM »
This...is not a good matchup. If Santa goes for his SoM form, W8 curbstomps it. All his plotpowers are reliant on magic. It's just bad.

Sure.

Somehow a BIGGER missmatch then battle 1. Oof.

Holmes plays violin, iirc. So he's known to have at least some proven musical ability. Which is more then Iris has.

If it didn't specify SuperStar Saga for Fawful, I might vote for him. Bowser's Inside Story Fawful is frighteningly competent, if still just as insane. However, it does specify. So while I doubt Stocke will direct a very good movie(doesn't strike me as his forte), he will at least get it done.

Given any time to get thier team together before the battle, Pinkie Pie will have her team working together...not smoothly, but at least together. Freindship is magic, afterall. And from there the sheer power level difference between the two does it's job.

<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2012, 11:43:31 PM »
100 Faith Santa Claus is total hax with faster than light travel and mind-reading hax and infinite ammo.  Even Santa Claus to those of 60 Faith is pretty scary, as he's got death from above in his flying sleigh that can drop 'presents' on the helpless below.  That said, yes, spoiled, Worker 8 doesn't believe in Santa and wins easily against the nothingness.

I could, hypothetically, see a Robot Chicken book that is worth a few "heh"s a la John Stewart's America: The Book.  However...  a novel?  Novels from these types of people / chickens are uniformly horrible, pretentious monstrosities that make Camus look good.  (A friend of mine bothered to look at, say, Brian Clevinger's novel a bit, and it is *awful*, yet the tone clearly thinks it is brillant satire.)  Meanwhile, sure, Lancelot can hack some okay genre fiction.

Cap does have the problem of a brightly colored suit & shield, but the movie showed he can be subtle sometimes, I guess, so.

What am I singing foooor?  I dunno, this seems badly out of character for Holmes, he's more a violin type.  Bitter condescending singing is not going to sell the crowd.  HOWEVER, if Holmes could somehow be convinced that he needs to do this as part of a case, he can probably do it competently, and he's up against MegaMan voice acting.

As a reminder, Stocke can only hack his own life, so he can't easily time travel to anything he wants.  He will, however, know the perfect way to 'inspire' his actors and how to convince anyone else to work with him.

Uh...  yeah.  Simon is the only one on the first team with good offense, and actually can hurt Taboo-Sho a good deal with Holy Water and the like...  except he's also a glass cannon who gets 4HKOed by Bats, so will have problems against Sho's big beam spreads.  (Not really a fan of denying Sho his abilities, but even without them, he might reduce enemy morale by taunting the fallen or something.)  Sho is admittedly absolutely terrible at a Team Battle in that he's a Lone Wolf who'd undercut everyone else, except he has a magical friendship pony on his team, which might paper over any conflicts?  And Snow is kind of a one-man army with BS ice ladies on motorcycles.  Archer & Marine are way too mortal here, and General Mog can only do so much, even if he brings 9 Moogle friends to distract Reptar.

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2012, 11:54:49 PM »

Sure.

Captain Gordon couldn't outstealth a rock.

Fawful.  Direct.  Pick one.

Seconding Nitori and Gate.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2012, 12:33:05 AM »
Quick Vote Form:

When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!