Register

Author Topic: The Royal Canadian Rando Tourney Round 1-B  (Read 1498 times)

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
The Royal Canadian Rando Tourney Round 1-B
« on: June 24, 2014, 02:17:34 AM »
Results

Event 1: Getting Rich Quick
Napoleon (Animal Farm) vs. IIIII IIII The Rock (Wrestling)

Event 2: Nonsense Contest
Selina Kyle (catwoman) I vs. IIIII Gadget Hackwrench (Chip n' Dale: Rescue Rangers)

Event 3: Dealing with the Devil
Spike (Buffy:tVS) IIIII I vs. I Dr. Wily

Event 4: Burning Heretics
Ichabod Crane (Folktale) IIII vs. IIIII Anna (FE Series)

Pair Event 1: Hand Cart Race
Kamek (Yoshi's Island) & Zelda (The Legend of) I vs. IIIII II Sir Lancelotte the Brave (MP&tHG) & Cecilia Lynn Adelhyde (Wild ARMs)

Pair Event 2: Kart Racing, Double Dash Style
Matt Engarde (AA: Justice for All) & Inspector Javert (Les Misreables) III vs. II Queen Zeal (CT) & Palutena (KI:U)

Round 1-B

Event 5: Fashion Makeovering
This event is simple enough.  Take a poor schlub with no fashion sense, and then subject him to the whims of some depraved fashionista who'll have him looking better by the end of the whole degrading experience.  It's humiliating, but at least they come out of it looking pretty snazzy.  At least...  if they get someone good...

And that's where the problems start.  And no, they probably don't end.  You see, the first "person" we're giving reign over someones wardrobe is Lord Helix.  Yes, the Lord Helix, patron god of Anarchy from Twitch Plays Pokemon.  Of course, anarchy isn't our only problem, as the second person to get their own fashion plaything is Estelle, the compulsive liar from Suikoden 3.  So, really, Anarchy vs. outright lies.  This one thing is certain, the poor makeover victims are not going to be the winners here.

Event 6: Puppy Kicking
One might ask, why are we kicking puppies.  Simple answer, they come back and look adorable doing so.  As always, the victor will be the person who can get the most combined distance on their kicks within the allotted time, which means force of kick and ability to get the puppy to come to you fast (or, alternatively, ability to hunt the little buggers down if they run from you) will both be important.  As for the durability of the puppies?  Chief Medical Officer Squall made sure to slap an invincibility item on them before the start of the match.

As for our puppy kicking pros, first up is the Silver Maiden of Zexen.  Unusual for a female main in an RPG, she will have zero problems whatsoever with actually kicking a puppy if it's what needs to happen to get the job done.  Also unlike most female mains in an RPG, she's got the strength to make these suckers soar.  Her opponent, Ryu from Street Fighter, is no stranger to weird minigame style events.  And while this is slightly different from smashing a car with his bare fists, he's certainly got the leg muscles to make that puppy soar.

Event 7: Ship-to-Ship Combat
One might read the event title and think this is about naval combat.  That would be a mistake.  Instead, we're going to keep going until we find a love triangle (real or imagined) where both sides have an opinion, and they both differ on these opinions.  There will then be a conversation on which is the better ship.  And we're using internet rules for conversation here, so full contact, no rules, "debate" in the style you'd get if you combined 4chan with a gladitorial arena.

First up is Rita Mordia from Brave Vesperia.  I've never seen her myself, but I'm told her favourite method of dealing with those who disagree with her about important things like this is cleansing, cleansing fire.  Which is good, because her opposition, Millenia from Grandia 2, is pretty similar in how she deals with things.  Victory goes to the one who convinces the other that their ship is the one true ship, or just gets their opponent to stop argueing which in internet debate is really the same thing.

Event 8: Gladitorial Deathmatch
I'm sure you're asking, what is the key difference between a gladitorial deathmatch and a straight up duel.  Simple, both sides get chucked into an arena with their weapon of choice and told to go at it.  No subtlety, no tricks.  Just straight up glorious melee combat. 

So of course we end up with a pair of scientists.  But don't let that fool you into thinking this will be a dull show!  Our first scientist may not be the swordsman her brother is, but don't sell Aura Blackquill short.  After all, she's still vicious enough to take an entire space centre hostage.  And though she may not have her robots here with her, I'm sure she'll find a way to make due.  Of course, her opponent is no stranger to combat, even if his style is less hold the line and more find cover and shoot.  Still, Mordin Solus has his Salerian Special Forces training and experience fighting the Collectors to fall back on.  And while this probably does cover some melee weapons, he's still a scientist, and probably actually weaker than Aura is.  So, the question remains, which of these badass scientists will be master of the gladitorial arena?

Team Event 1: Base Defense
Having shamelessly stolen this event from CK's own Rando Tourney, we've got a simple setup.  Team B a fort.  It's a nice fort, and they get to choose one of common materials and a layout of their choosing.  Inside this fort, there needs to be an area reachable in no less than three ways (though none of them have to be easy, just possible) that we'll call the safe area.  This is when Team A comes out to play.  They have a day to breach the fort, and get every member of their team into the safe area at the same time.  Team B is allowed to do whatever they have to to stop them, and Team A can do anything they need to to succeed.

Our defense team is an interesting group of wildly varying skills.  Led by the noted hero/villain Flay Gunnar, it'll likely be decked out in evil overlord fashion.  Either that, or it may just resemble a school.  Regardless, he's got the skills and the showmanship to make this quite the lair to invade.  His handy second in command, Kaguya Nanbu, will be able to watch for transdimentional intrusion as well as fight.  Inspector Gadget will be able to track down any oddball incursions as well as having the tool for any job as well as an endless source of luck.  Finally, the defense team is rounded out by team mascot, Grumpy Cat.

The Assault Team will be led, in theory, by Gaston, who has experience in storming strongholds.  And while his experience may have ended poorly, he won't let that slow him down from trying it again for a second.  Also not slowing him down for a second is the fact that no one else on his team will actually be listening to him.  Of course, Gaston also has the dubious distinction of being the worst suited of his teammates for this task.  He's also teamed up with famed hero Darkwing Duck, who has lots of experience outwitting villains and breaking into their lair.  Akuma from Street Fighter, who'll probably just keep punching until he gets where he's going.  And Toph Bei Fong whose powerful Earth and Metal bending will provide a fierce combatant and prove to be very difficult to actually stop from reaching the safe area.

Of course, the defense team only has to stop one of them, but with a team like this, can they do it?

Quick Vote Form:
Lord Helix (TPP) vs. Estella (Suikoden 3)

Chris Lightfellow (Suikoden 3) vs. Ryu (Street Fighter 2)

Rita Mordio (Tales of Vesperia) vs. Millenia (Grandia 2)

Aura Blackquill (AA:Dual Destinies) vs. Mordin Solus (Mass Effect 2)

Team Event 1: Border Guard
(Gaston (Beauty and the Beast), Darkwing Duck, Akuma (Street Fighter), Toph Bei Fong (Avatar:tLA)) vs. (Flay Gunnar (Mana Khemia 1/2), Kaguya Nanbu (SRW:OGS:EF), Inspector Gadget, Grumpy Cat)

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: The Royal Canadian Rando Tourney Round 1-B
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2014, 02:31:47 AM »
This question can be solved quite easily: examine the fashion instincts of their devoted followers.
http://fast-images.picyou.com/images/27X53x/27X53x.jpg
http://gensopedia.theirstar.com/index.php?title=Rody

This...  isn't particularly close.

If only the event had been "slashing puppies to ribbons with an edged weapon of your choice."  Ryu's Hurricane Kick is gonna kick a lot of puppies fast.

The ship will almost surely be Millenia & Ryudo vs. Elena & Ryudo.  This is an uphill climb for Millenia as this might hit a bit too close to home, but I'm not closely familiar with Rita, so if people say Rita would be unusually bad at this I might change my vote.  (Motormouth for fast casting implies Motormouth for lots of arguments at least.)

Mordin was in fact a member of an elite commando squad, and is going to pick some horrific laser gun, so he'd probably beat even Simon.  Even if Aura can take a robot with her as her "weapon" that is frankly exactly the kind of enemy Mordin would spoil anyway.  Sorry, Aura.

(Gaston (Beauty and the Beast), Darkwing Duck, Akuma (Street Fighter), Toph Bei Fong (Avatar:tLA)) vs. (Flay Gunnar (Mana Khemia 1/2), Kaguya Nanbu (SRW:OGS:EF), Inspector Gadget, Grumpy Cat)

I dunno about the rules, they seem to MASSIVELY favor the defense if no holds are barred and the entire offensive team has to arrive in one piece.  Toph / Akuma / Darkwing Duck messily slaughter the entire team, but Flay challenges Gaston to a dramatic duel atop the school at the belltower and a rainstorm will randomly start in the background, and then tosses him off the edge to his doom, leaving the attackers with only 3 people arriving.  Meh, attackers should really win this but the deck is rigged against them, as only one member of their team has to be stopped.

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2014, 02:37:30 AM »
Quick Vote Form:
Lord Helix (TPP) vs. Estella (Suikoden 3) - Twitch chat keeps cancelling the outfit change at the last minute, the poor slob Lord Helix is supposed to be dressing up winds up naked.

Chris Lightfellow (Suikoden 3) vs. Ryu (Street Fighter 2) - Orbital puppies incoming

Rita Mordio (Tales of Vesperia) vs. Millenia (Grandia 2) - I think Rita would get bored with this faster, Millenia would relish arguing about her 'ships.

Aura Blackquill (AA:Dual Destinies) vs. Mordin Solus (Mass Effect 2) - Seems legit

(Gaston (Beauty and the Beast), Darkwing Duck, Akuma (Street Fighter), Toph Bei Fong (Avatar:tLA)) vs. (Flay Gunnar (Mana Khemia 1/2), Kaguya Nanbu (SRW:OGS:EF), Inspector Gadget, Grumpy Cat) - Toph and Akuma can get in, but not before someone stops Gaston.
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2014, 02:37:48 AM »
Quick Vote Form:
It'll be funnier.

Abstain.

no no no no no

Probably requires more knowledge of either than I actually have.

If they had to stop them all, I would have to stop and think, but Inspector Gadget is one of those idiots who could probably end up stopping one of Team Jerbtakers through sheer dumb luck, and in a straightup brawl Flay and Kaguya would at least be able to do some damage.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2014, 02:39:42 AM »
Quick Vote Form:
Lord Helix (TPP) vs. Estella (Suikoden 3): Look, when it comes down to it, Lord Helix has the power of Twitch on his side; they'll EVENTUALLY get it right, it might just take 3 weeks...

Chris Lightfellow (Suikoden 3) vs. Ryu (Street Fighter 2): If you can convince Ryu that it's a training session, he'll do it.  Chris has morals meanwhile.

On top of that, since distance matters, Ryu's Mule Kick from SF3S and TvC is basically the perfect ability for this, since that's exactly what it specializes in: kicking things extremely far.

Rita Mordio (Tales of Vesperia) vs. Millenia (Grandia 2): This match ends with the two basically just blowing each other up because they can't convince the other side.  Habtot declared Millenia wins this time.

Aura Blackquill (AA:Dual Destinies) vs. Mordin Solus (Mass Effect 2): Aura is many things, good at hand to hand combat is not one of them.  I can only assume the Mass Effect guy is better.

(Gaston (Beauty and the Beast), Darkwing Duck, Akuma (Street Fighter), Toph Bei Fong (Avatar:tLA)) vs. (Flay Gunnar (Mana Khemia 1/2), Kaguya Nanbu (SRW:OGS:EF), Inspector Gadget, Grumpy Cat): Ok, this fight is so unfair, where do I begin?

Darkwing Duck specializes in appearing randomly at a moment's notice; it requires an arbitrary set of analogies for him to pull it off, but that's his speciality, so he's through.
Toph uses Earthbending to basically distract the opponent and run through; she can feel where they are, and avoid ti as such.
Akuma can teleport, need I say more?
That leaves Gaston...I'm sure he can take advantage of one of the other 3 powers somehow. 

As far as the other side goes? Inspector Gadget is incompetent; if this was Penny, that might change things entirely, but no, Inspector Gadget himself is easy to distract.  Heck, just have Gaston put on a fake mustache and a top hat, and Inspector Gadget will think he's someone else entirely, and since Gaston is a bad guy here, Inspector Gadget will think he's a good guy (that's how disguises work against him).
Flay will be too focused on Akuma because VILLAIN! Thing is, Akuma would kick his ass easily, so no problems there
Grumpy Cat...Grumpy cat.
Kaguya could possibly distract Gaston but honestly, I think Inspector Gadget gets to him first and that sort of means Inspector Gadget WILL speak on Gaston's behalf, despite all logic and reasoning.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 02:47:54 AM by Meeplelard »
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2014, 02:42:35 AM »

Chris Lightfellow (Suikoden 3) vs. Ryu (Street Fighter 2)- Ryu is a generic honorable fighter type, he wouldn't do anything so vile as kicking puppies. Chris is a military commander and soldier. Doing unpleasant things is sometimes part of the job, even if she feels bad about it later. (See: Lulu) Feels like she is much more mentally prepared to do this.

"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2014, 03:44:58 AM »
Quick Vote Form:
Lord Helix (TPP) vs. Estella (Suikoden 3)- The Lord Helix moves in mysterious ways.  He can only guide those who seek his wisdom, not make their decisions for them.

Chris Lightfellow (Suikoden 3) vs. Ryu (Street Fighter 2)- Chris is a much better figurative puppy kicker, but the match sounds pretty literal on that front and Ryu's got some deadly kicking powers.

Rita Mordio (Tales of Vesperia) vs. Millenia (Grandia 2)- Millenia's all about shipping wars.  Shit, she intentionally tries to sink her own romantic rival in-game.  Rita's more of an eyes-only-for-you type, well out of her depth here.

Aura Blackquill (AA:Dual Destinies) vs. Mordin Solus (Mass Effect 2)- They look pretty evenly matched to me, and Aura's more prepared to use lethal force.

(Gaston (Beauty and the Beast), Darkwing Duck, Akuma (Street Fighter), Toph Bei Fong (Avatar:tLA)) vs. (Flay Gunnar (Mana Khemia 1/2), Kaguya Nanbu (SRW:OGS:EF), Inspector Gadget, Grumpy Cat)- Gaston being a liability would depend on him being able to out-Arrogant Kung Fu guy both Akuma and Toph.  That's not happening.  That said, it's probably simpler: Toph just demolishes the fort, and without fortifications the defenders aren't doing much in a straight fight.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

• Suggests the birth of an abomination
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2014, 04:18:56 AM »
Quick Vote Form:
Lord Helix (TPP) vs. Estella (Suikoden 3) - Whoever wins, we all lose.

Chris Lightfellow (Suikoden 3) vs. Ryu (Street Fighter 2) - Ryu unwilling to kick puppies, my ass.  He's already fully willing to beat the crap out of some poor bastard's car for the sake of it.  That aside, while Chris is strong, Ryu probably has practiced kicking a LOT more.

...This isn't even fair.  Toph and Akuma have, to my knowledge wide-area destructive capabilities (for the latter, I'm pretty sure one of his SF3 endings has him blowing up Ayer's Rock or a similarly large mountain with Kongou Kokuretsuzan.).  They basically just blast their way through so well that any possible interference on the defenders' end is...rather moot.
<+Nama-EmblemOfFire> ...Have the GhebFE guy and the ostian princess guy collaborate.
 <@Elecman> Seems reasonable.

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2014, 04:29:30 AM »
Writeup expressly says the puppies have been made invincible. Ryu will have no qualms about launching them.
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2014, 08:05:49 AM »
Lord Helix (TPP) vs. Estella (Suikoden 3): Not sure how much I respect something as nebulous as a Twitch Plays Pokemon meme in this, but... Estella is actively bad at this.

Chris Lightfellow (Suikoden 3) vs. Ryu (Street Fighter 2): Chris would kick a puppy if necessary, but she'd feel really bad about it after the fact. Maaaybe she could stay at it long enough so that "after the fact" is after the contest is over, sure. But Ryu has fewer morals and uh has a move called Hurricane Kick. C'mon.

Rita Mordio (Tales of Vesperia) vs. Millenia (Grandia 2): I dunno.

Aura Blackquill (AA:Dual Destinies) vs. Mordin Solus (Mass Effect 2): Aura is awesome but seriously she's been explicitly denied robots and I don't see why she'd have much talent at this beyond technology and Mordin's is surely better anyway. Plus he's a PC so I assume he has some proven combat worth.

(Gaston (Beauty and the Beast), Darkwing Duck, Akuma (Street Fighter), Toph Bei Fong (Avatar:tLA)) vs. (Flay Gunnar (Mana Khemia 1/2), Kaguya Nanbu (SRW:OGS:EF), Inspector Gadget, Grumpy Cat): I have zero faith in the attacking team's ability to actually work as a team, unless Toph Bei can whip them all into line. The other three are variations on overzealous and unsubtle, which will make it dead easy for Flay and Kaguya to pick one of them off.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

DragonKnight Zero

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2014, 03:43:37 AM »
ummm?

How would the kicked puppy process the experience of being kicked when it is shielded from the pain?  Hmmm...
  Had this funny image of Chirs luring Ryu into injuring himself by kicking her in full armor.  Which would hilariously backfire as Ryu can kick Iron Man, War Machine, and Sentinel without hurting himself.  There's also the simple 'Ryu's better mobility lets him land more kicks for a higher combined distance.'

Kneejerk.  If it came down to a magical brawl, I'd tiebreak against Millenia.  More likely, Rita reaches the threshold of "this is stupid" and walks away before then.

no vote

Grumpy Cat is deadweight.  It's a coinflip whether Gadget will help or hinder his team. (Penny is the more competent one in his universe.)  Flay and Kaguya combined do have enough brute force to stuff Gaston in a basement somewhere.
  Gaston is the weak link in his team.  His teammates know this so they bind and gag him.  Darkwing transports him to the safe area with his powers to appear anywhere at will.  Toph and Akuma use their mobility to cruise through the base avoiding traps and patrols.  It comes down to who reaches Gaston first and his teammates start right next to him.
  Flay still gets his dramatic battle, though after the other team is declared victorious.  He'll send Gaston to Disney villain defeat but Akuma may be too much to handle.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 11:07:18 PM by DragonKnight Zero »

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2014, 07:02:14 AM »
Just went back and checked last week's results, and it looks to me like Palutena/Zeal won their match by two.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Excal

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2014, 08:33:05 AM »
It was close, but the last two votes came in after this topic went up with the results.  And Snowfire sent me a last second vote to me via IRC that tied it up so I tiebroke.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2014, 08:36:22 AM »
I was pretty on the fence, though, and it's not like the results of 1-A matter for 1-B, so I'd be fine with letting Palutena/Zeal take it myself.

Excal

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2014, 10:10:22 PM »
Alright, the Double Dash results are reversed!

Also, Round 1-C starts tomorrow!  Vote for 1-B now or forever hold your peace!