Author Topic: Music Tournament of Doom Preliminaries Pool 8  (Read 4607 times)

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
Re: Music Tournament of Doom Preliminaries Pool 8
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2008, 02:17:17 AM »
Final Fantasy (All)- Prelude (aka Crystal Theme) v Final Fantasy X - Suteki Da Ne (orchestra)
Ooooo~, FF7 version.  Suteki Da Ne is good, but the Prelude is classic.

Soul Nomad - Crying for the Dark Sky v Ar tonelico - EXEC_LINCA/.
No love for the Dark Sky, while LINCA is one of the tracks I remember liking in Ar Tornelico, so an easy pick for me.

Xenogears: June Mermaid v Legend of Mana - Pain the Universe
Hmmm...  This contest may need me to rethink my standing policy of Legend of Mana music isn't that good.  Well, either that or it's the one game where the good music got nommed.

Chrono Trigger ~ To Far Away Times v Tales of the Abyss: meaning of birth
I can always sit down and listen to a bit more Far Away Times, while Meaning of Birth...  simply isn't something I'd like to listen to.  Nothing I can objectively go after, it just isn't to my tastes.

Wild ARMs4 - I Look Up At The Night Sky Because You Are There v Disgaea: The Invasion from Within
Why are there two versions of this song in the contest?  Regardless, Wild ARMs opening better than Disgaia, but...  yeah.

Brigandine- Leonia's battle music v Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne – “Staff Roll”
Leonia is notable for having the only music in Brig that's worth listening to outside of the game.  Which is good, as it has nothing else going for it.

Phoenix Wright 3: Questioning - Allegro  v Legend of Mana - Song of Mana ~ Ending Theme
No comment.  >_>

Chrono Trigger ~ Black Dream v Wild Arms 2 - Battle with Lord Blazer
Black dream is alright, though it is, in the end, a dungeon music.  Nothing that special.  Whereas Lord Blazer is a final boss music.  Again, not that good for what it is.  But what it is is much better than what Black Dream is.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2008, 02:48:49 AM »
Final Fantasy (All)- Prelude (aka Crystal Theme) v Final Fantasy X - Suteki Da Ne (orchestra): Crystal Theme doesn't really have much going for it besides, you know, being the Crystal Theme. Suteki Da Ne...not much of a vocal to me, but better than Prelude either way.
Soul Nomad - Crying for the Dark Sky v Ar tonelico - EXEC_LINCA/.: Mostly cause I get this feeling that AT songs all sound the same (slow vocals of the same style that are just kind of sleep inducing).  Soul Nomad music does not, meanwhile.
Xenogears: June Mermaid v Legend of Mana - Pain the Universe: Not close. Pain the Universe was the first song I heard from LoM and loved it since then.  June Mermaid I've actively listened to a few times to figure out the hype and can't find it.
Chrono Trigger ~ To Far Away Times v Tales of the Abyss: meaning of birth: No vote. Yes, I could listen...but I promised myself to never listen to Meaning of Birth until I hear it in TotA.  No, don't ask why, just what I decided.

Wild ARMs4 - I Look Up At The Night Sky Because You Are There v Disgaea: The Invasion from Within: Invasion from Within does nothing for me; I like the former, meanwhile, at least with Japanese Lyrics.
Brigandine- Leonia's battle music v Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne – “Staff Roll”: Pleasing sounding; most Brig battle music does nothing for me...if not all...and Leonia's not an exception (Map themes, however...)
Phoenix Wright 3: Questioning - Allegro  v Legend of Mana - Song of Mana ~ Ending Theme: Phoenix Wright Theme sounds like its something that'd be good in context, but stand alone, nothing special.  Song of Mana is an LoM song, so...
Chrono Trigger ~ Black Dream v Wild Arms 2 - Battle with Lord Blazer: Black Dream is barely notable in any way, shape, or form, barring maybe some unique style.  To think it has any chance against the titan that BwLB is...ahahahaha.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2008, 04:50:45 AM »
This pool closes in roughly 24 hours.  Vote now!
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Ranmilia

• Poetry Lover
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Not a squid!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2008, 04:37:12 PM »
Final Fantasy (All)- Prelude (aka Crystal Theme) v Final Fantasy X - Suteki Da Ne (orchestra) - Odd match.  The crystal theme is used IN several awesome tracks I'd vote for, but by itself it isn't much.
Soul Nomad - Crying for the Dark Sky v Ar tonelico - EXEC_LINCA/. - this one is actually reasonably close, but AT's annoying singers sink it. 
Xenogears: June Mermaid v Legend of Mana - Pain the Universe - *blink blink*  y'all crazy.  This isn't even close, June Mermaid should be champ material.
Chrono Trigger ~ To Far Away Times v Tales of the Abyss: meaning of birth - Also pretty close.  I'll admit I'm voting this one on sheer nostalgia factor.

Wild ARMs4 - I Look Up At The Night Sky Because You Are There v Disgaea: The Invasion from Within - Invasion is horrible, competition isn't much but beats that.
Brigandine- Leonia's battle music v Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne – “Staff Roll” - Generic battle man vs generic piano man.  Piano wins, piano man.
Phoenix Wright 3: Questioning - Allegro  v Legend of Mana - Song of Mana ~ Ending Theme - Neither makes much of an impression.  Mana has bass.
Chrono Trigger ~ Black Dream v Wild Arms 2 - Battle with Lord Blazer - I don't even like Lord Blazer, but Black Dream's made of meh.

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2008, 07:50:56 AM »
Prelude- xi v Suteki- xii
Crying- xii v Linca- x
Emmy- viii v Pain the Universe- xiiii
Faraway Times- xvi v Meaning of Birth- vii

Night Sky- xvii v Invasion- vii
Leonia- vi v Staff- xiiii
Questioning- i v Song of Mana- xxi
Black Dream- v v ROAD BRAZZA!- xx

Suteki da ne? pulls it out at the last second, forestalling awkward questions down to road.   Elsewise we have slaughters, though the biggest one was not, in fact, Eternal Godlike of All That Is Music but instead the "the only time ever the swedish language has managed to sound good".  Things are looking up for ending themes!  But perhaps it is a pity that these two titans must fight in the second round.

CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.