Register

Author Topic: Music Tournament of Doom Preliminaries Pool 11  (Read 4613 times)

QuietRain

• Proven real at last
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • My homepage
Re: Music Tournament of Doom Preliminaries Pool 11
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2008, 07:00:51 PM »
Wild Arms 4: The Shining Spear Pierces the Darkness v Baten Kaitos - The True Mirror
Breath of Fire 4 - A Warring God v Persona 3 - Battle for Everyone's Souls (Nyx Battle) - OMG SLAUGHTER
Shadow of the Colossus: Demise of the Ritual ~ Battle With the Colossus v Skies of Arcadia- Main Theme
Xenosaga ep. 1 - Battling KOS-MOS v Wild ARMs 3 - Black as Sin, Red as Blood

Disgaea 2 - White Tiger v Valkyrie Profile 2: Multiplexed Contradiction
Phantom Brave - Strange Wind v Final Fantasy Tactics: Battle on the Bridge
Tales of the Abyss - A Place in the Sun v Star Ocean 3 - Influence of Truth's Appearance
Suikoden II - Gothic Neclord v Shadow Hearts Covenant – “Old Smudged Map”
"Soul Meets Soul When Eyes Meet Eyes"

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2008, 05:22:11 AM »
Wild Arms 4: The Shining Spear Pierces the Darkness v Baten Kaitos - The True Mirror
Not one of WA4's better tracks, and it shows.

Breath of Fire 4 - A Warring God v Persona 3 - Battle for Everyone's Souls (Nyx Battle)
I like.  Nothing more than a solid tune with a good upswing in the middle, but that's enough for my support.

Shadow of the Colossus: Demise of the Ritual ~ Battle With the Colossus v Skies of Arcadia- Main Theme
No much to say here.  Just enjoyable.

Xenosaga ep. 1 - Battling KOS-MOS v Wild ARMs 3 - Black as Sin, Red as Blood
No strong impressions here.

Disgaea 2 - White Tiger v Valkyrie Profile 2: Multiplexed Contradiction
White Tiger works, and fairly well too, while MC is just kinda putting in time.

Phantom Brave - Strange Wind v Final Fantasy Tactics: Battle on the Bridge
Strange Wind isn't that bad, but we're finally getting to the good FFT music.

Tales of the Abyss - A Place in the Sun v Star Ocean 3 - Influence of Truth's Appearance
I couldn't remember Place in the Sun that well after its listen, so I figured that I'd need to relisten in order to choose.  But, fortunatly, IoTA managed to be good enough that it clearly won over anything I couldn't remember after a background listening.

Suikoden II - Gothic Neclord v Shadow Hearts Covenant – “Old Smudged Map”
Eh, slow, boring, not all that good.  Gothic Neclord is both excellent at what it does, and tragically wasted in game.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2008, 07:58:09 PM »
Wild Arms 4: The Shining Spear Pierces the Darkness v Baten Kaitos - The True Mirror: Decent fight.  Nice that I finally was able to hear TSSPtD cause whenever I tried to download it, my browser would crash! Anyway, went on gut.
Breath of Fire 4 - A Warring God v Persona 3 - Battle for Everyone's Souls (Nyx Battle): Was never really a fan of Velvet Room music, even as a Battle theme...Warring God is just bad ass meanwhile.
Shadow of the Colossus: Demise of the Ritual ~ Battle With the Colossus v Skies of Arcadia- Main Theme: Whatever, didn't care for much either.
Xenosaga ep. 1 - Battling KOS-MOS v Wild ARMs 3 - Black as Sin, Red as Blood: If nothing else, the latter wins for being able to ACTUALLY REMEMBER THE SONG IN GAME.  Xenosaga 1 music, as a rule, completely fails at this barring its two battle themes.

Disgaea 2 - White Tiger v Valkyrie Profile 2: Multiplexed Contradiction: White Tiger isn't bad, but I like the other better.
Phantom Brave - Strange Wind v Final Fantasy Tactics: Battle on the Bridge: Oh look! An FFT Song that's actually good!  About damn time.
Tales of the Abyss - A Place in the Sun v Star Ocean 3 - Influence of Truth's Appearance: Bad ass vs. whatever.
Suikoden II - Gothic Neclord v Shadow Hearts Covenant – “Old Smudged Map”: See above.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2008, 01:51:43 AM »
Wild Arms 4: The Shining Spear Pierces the Darkness v Baten Kaitos - The True Mirror - They're both awesome, but going for the personal favorite.
Breath of Fire 4 - A Warring God v Persona 3 - Battle for Everyone's Souls (Nyx Battle) - Don't like the vocal part, but otherwise Battle is pretty good.  A Warring God, like most BoF4 music, is meh.
Shadow of the Colossus: Demise of the Ritual ~ Battle With the Colossus v Skies of Arcadia- Main Theme - Don't really like either one.
Xenosaga ep. 1 - Battling KOS-MOS v Wild ARMs 3 - Black as Sin, Red as Blood - Probably my favorite tune from the XS1 soundtrack.  And it is used well in-game - just not enough for such a cool piece.  The WA3 theme is creepy but nothing else.  Eh.

Disgaea 2 - White Tiger v Valkyrie Profile 2: Multiplexed Contradiction - No vote.  I think I'd need to hear White Tiger in context.
Phantom Brave - Strange Wind v Final Fantasy Tactics: Battle on the Bridge - Just generally neater, though Battle on the Bridge is solid.
Tales of the Abyss - A Place in the Sun v Star Ocean 3 - Influence of Truth's Appearance - A Place in the Sun is leadup, really.  Influence is payoff.
Suikoden II - Gothic Neclord v Shadow Hearts Covenant – “Old Smudged Map” - Gothic Neclord isn't the best example of Yamane's style, really.  Still a close match.

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2008, 06:19:05 AM »
This pool closes soon!  Like, 23 hours!  Totally, man!
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2008, 06:24:01 AM »
Suikoden II - Gothic Neclord v Shadow Hearts Covenant – “Old Smudged Map” - Gothic Neclord isn't the best example of Yamane's style, really.  Still a close match.

Gothic Neclord is Miki Higashino, not Yamane.  ...though I can see the resemblance.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2008, 06:38:46 AM »
Really?  Hmm, a friend of mine told me she did that piece, though obviously he could have been misinformed.  It does sound like her style, it involves vampires a la Castlevania, and I know that Yamane did a few Suikoden tracks.  Alas, a quick Google doesn't seem to be turning up much either way.

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2008, 06:40:03 AM »
Really?  Hmm, a friend of mine told me she did that piece, though obviously he could have been misinformed.  It does sound like her style, it involves vampires a la Castlevania, and I know that Yamane did a few Suikoden tracks.  Alas, a quick Google doesn't seem to be turning up much either way.

Yamane worked on a bunch of Suikoden III stuff but none from Suikoden II, as far as I know.

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2008, 04:16:27 AM »
Spear- x v Mirror- xi
Warring God- iiii v Souls- xviiii
Demise- viii v Main Theme- xiiii
KOS- x v Prophets- xii

Axel- xii v Hrist- x
Wind- xv v Bridge- viii
Sun- i v Truth- xxii
Neclord- xii v Smudged- x

A lot of close-ish matches to this pool.  Also the closest the tourney has had to a shutout!  Twice, come to think of it.  Also, apparently Elfboy likes Tenpei Sato's voice, which I'm sure will be valuable information in the future~
Thanks for voting y'all.

CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.