imageRegister

Author Topic: Same-sex Marriage in California  (Read 6690 times)

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
Re: Same-sex Marriage in California
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2008, 06:27:49 PM »
Second least likely?  Faberge Egg incidents.

I'LL TELL YOU WHEN I'VE HAD ENOUGH!

BaconForTheSoul

• Denizen
  • Because you don't get her with 3 levels left.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2008, 11:42:55 PM »
Why don't blind people just use a debit card like the rest of us?

As for gay marriage... LOL at the U.S. actually practicing seperation of church and state.  Our last president was elected because he is religious.  However, the government does concede certain religious issues, and this is going to be one of them eventually.

Personally, I'm kind of with some of you guys.  It doesn't concern me at all, except in extremely roundabout ways, so why not let 'em marry. 

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2008, 01:15:43 AM »
America's gov't-religion connection is, like our views of race, weeeeird.  Why is the movie 'Balls of Fury' even remotely acceptable in this day and age, when it's filled  with ridiculous Asian racial caricatures?  The answer 'because it's a parody of martial arts movies, not a parody of Asian-American culture' is either nuanced or tortured logic, depending on your point of view, but it's something Americans get in their gut.

Likewise, why is it ok for existing versions of the 10 commandments to reside in courthouses when new ones can't be built?  Why is it ok for Christmas to be a federal holiday and our money to say 'in God we trust?'  The answer that the old ones are ok because they're grandfathered probably doesn't hold much weight in other countries but again, makes total sense to us nutty Americans.

Maybe the fact that religious types in America tend to think they have a lot in common with each other ('cept for those Muslim heathens, of course) has a lot to do with it.  I can't think of many countries where Mitt Romney could make a speech that says Mormonism is a friendly brother to Christianity to the heads of the Christian conservatives and not be laughed out of the room, but he did-- and they loved him.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 01:20:43 AM by NotMiki »
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2008, 11:18:03 AM »
Speaking as an ultra hardcore Atheist, they can take Christmas away as a national holiday from my cold dead fingers.  However, they can feel free to add as many other national holidays for religions as they want to.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2008, 04:06:59 PM »

Maybe the fact that religious types in America tend to think they have a lot in common with each other ('cept for those Muslim heathens, of course) has a lot to do with it.  I can't think of many countries where Mitt Romney could make a speech that says Mormonism is a friendly brother to Christianity to the heads of the Christian conservatives and not be laughed out of the room, but he did-- and they loved him.

I don't think Muslims being Muslims have anything to do with it, it more has to do with politics. If they voted Republican and generally but not specifically backed the religious right's agenda they'd likely be just as welcome as mormons and jews.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2008, 07:46:43 PM »
I doubt it.  Jews, generally speaking, vote democrat about 70% of the time.  This election cycle, it's been closer to 80%.  No, I believe the problem the religious right, and a lot of America, has with Muslims, is pure racism.  I believe the open mistrust a lot of people in America show for Muslims, especially Arab Muslims, will be the shame of our generation, the thing our grandkids secretly wonder why we allowed to happen.
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!