Author Topic: Music Tournament of Doom Round 2 Pools 5 and 6  (Read 4210 times)

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Tonfa

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: Music Tournament of Doom Round 2 Pools 5 and 6
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 07:35:16 AM »
Wild Arms 3 - There's Only One Family Named Schroedinger v Ys Origin - -Bonus track- GENESIS BEYOND THE BEGINNING: FALCOM PAUNCH!
Final Fantasy VII- Cid's theme v Final Fantasy VIII - The Man with the Machine Gun: Different tier of good.
Brigandine: Grand Edition- Estrogares Empire map theme v Disgaea 2 - Etna Rock: And the pool was doing so well, too. Oh well. Esgares is a bit of a mess...hm. Not in the mood to strangle Etna Rock vocals today, so vote get.
Final Fantasy VI - Aria de Mezzo Carattere v Digital Devil Saga - Hunting ~ Compulsion: Not 16 BIT VOCALS!!111

Parasite Eve - Main Theme (Orchestral Version) v Wild ARMs 4 - As Time Goes By ~ Never Forget Me: One of the best pieces I've found in this contest versus something I had, indeed, forgotten.
Breath of Fire 5 - Waste Abandonment Pit v Final Fantasy 9 - Final Battle: I despise the beginning, but, the rest checks in solidly above boring, which is what the other track can't do.
Suikoden 2: Reminiscence v Breath of Fire 4 - Even Towards Death, Valiantly: Reminiscence is beautiful. The other track I've grown bored of.
Wild ARMs 1 - Oops... v Tales of Symphonia - Beat the Angel: Very characteristic and memorable theme vs autopilot Sakuraba. Gee, I wonder.
<Niu> If I ever see that Langfadood, i'll strangle him on sight
<Gourry> What, for making the game three times better?
<Gourry> And playable, at that?
<Niu> that lose the whole point of of L2!!!

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 08:29:12 AM »
GENESIS BEYOND THE BEGINNING
The Man with the Machine Gun
Etna Rock
Hunting ~ Compulsion
Main Theme
Final Battle
Reminiscence
Oops...

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2008, 08:51:45 AM »
Wild Arms 3 - There's Only One Family Named Schroedinger v Ys Origin - -Bonus track- GENESIS BEYOND THE BEGINNING
Final Fantasy VII- Cid's theme v Final Fantasy VIII - The Man with the Machine Gun
Brigandine: Grand Edition- Estrogares Empire map theme v Disgaea 2 - Etna Rock
Final Fantasy VI - Aria de Mezzo Carattere v Digital Devil Saga - Hunting ~ Compulsion

Parasite Eve - Main Theme (Orchestral Version) v Wild ARMs 4 - As Time Goes By ~ Never Forget Me
Breath of Fire 5 - Waste Abandonment Pit v Final Fantasy 9 - Final Battle: What the hell did these two beat to get here?
Suikoden 2: Reminiscence v Breath of Fire 4 - Even Towards Death, Valiantly
Wild ARMs 1 - Oops... v Tales of Symphonia - Beat the Angel

Dhyerwolf

• Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2008, 09:37:04 AM »
Final Fantasy VII- Cid's theme v Final Fantasy VIII - The Man with the Machine Gun
Brigandine: Grand Edition- Estrogares Empire map theme v Disgaea 2 - Etna Rock-....Is match is complete fail. But I could see how the Brig song works in game at least. Etna Rock always makes me want to cut off my ears.
Final Fantasy VI - Aria de Mezzo Carattere v Digital Devil Saga - Hunting ~ Compulsion- I really like one specific part of Hunting-Compulsion! And yeah, not 16 bit weird vocal like noise gives it the win.

Parasite Eve - Main Theme (Orchestral Version) v Wild ARMs 4 - As Time Goes By ~ Never Forget Me
Breath of Fire 5 - Waste Abandonment Pit v Final Fantasy 9 - Final Battle- Perfectly moody and lovely.
Wild ARMs 1 - Oops... v Tales of Symphonia - Beat the Angel- Not a big fan of Oops..., but Beat the Angel is bland.
...into the nightfall.

dude789

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2008, 12:16:57 PM »
Final Fantasy VI - Aria de Mezzo Carattere v Digital Devil Saga - Hunting ~ Compulsion

Breath of Fire 5 - Waste Abandonment Pit v Final Fantasy 9 - Final Battle

Ranmilia

• Poetry Lover
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Not a squid!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2008, 12:25:42 PM »
Wild Arms 3 - There's Only One Family Named Schroedinger v Ys Origin - -Bonus track- GENESIS BEYOND THE BEGINNING - I really need to start writing down all the songs I hear and go "Oh hey this is good!" in this tourney.  Ys here being one.
Final Fantasy VII- Cid's theme v Final Fantasy VIII - The Man with the Machine Gun - Looks like a vote shutout, actually pretty close to me. 
Brigandine: Grand Edition- Estrogares Empire map theme v Disgaea 2 - Etna Rock - Ugh.
Final Fantasy VI - Aria de Mezzo Carattere v Digital Devil Saga - Hunting ~ Compulsion - I... guess.  Not excited about either. 

Parasite Eve - Main Theme (Orchestral Version) v Wild ARMs 4 - As Time Goes By ~ Never Forget Me - Not even close.
Breath of Fire 5 - Waste Abandonment Pit v Final Fantasy 9 - Final Battle - Final Battle sounds like it gets good later, but heck if I'm keeping it on that long.
Suikoden 2: Reminiscence v Breath of Fire 4 - Even Towards Death, Valiantly - Not my favorite BoF4 music.  The other's generic but in a way I like!
Wild ARMs 1 - Oops... v Tales of Symphonia - Beat the Angel - Ugh.  Neither is good, ToS is... inoffensive Sakuraba, which gets a pass here.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2008, 03:49:01 PM »
Wild Arms 3 - There's Only One Family Named Schroedinger v Ys Origin - -Bonus track- GENESIS BEYOND THE BEGINNING- Usual "WA music is boring" vote.
Final Fantasy VII- Cid's theme v Final Fantasy VIII - The Man with the Machine Gun- Good match, like the feel of Cid's theme more.
Brigandine: Grand Edition- Estrogares Empire map theme v Disgaea 2 - Etna Rock- Etna Rock is the worst track in the contest.
Final Fantasy VI - Aria de Mezzo Carattere v Digital Devil Saga - Hunting ~ Compulsion- Slaughter. Compulsion is great.

Parasite Eve - Main Theme (Orchestral Version) v Wild ARMs 4 - As Time Goes By ~ Never Forget Me- Not as much a fan of main theme as I am of some of the others in PE, but still comes out ahead here.
Breath of Fire 5 - Waste Abandonment Pit v Final Fantasy 9 - Final Battle- Perfect mood track. Just wonderful to listen to in general.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

OblivionKnight

• Boom! Big reveal: I'm a pickle. What do you think about that?
  • Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2008, 07:28:37 PM »
Wild Arms 3 - There's Only One Family Named Schroedinger v Ys Origin - -Bonus track- GENESIS BEYOND THE BEGINNING - Wishing I nommed some Naphistm music.  Ys music is awesome.
Final Fantasy VII- Cid's theme v Final Fantasy VIII - The Man with the Machine Gun - ...wow.  So much apathy.
Brigandine: Grand Edition- Estrogares Empire map theme v Disgaea 2 - Etna Rock - Apathy round 2.
Final Fantasy VI - Aria de Mezzo Carattere v Digital Devil Saga - Hunting ~ Compulsion - This is like Germany vs. Poland, circa 1939.  Not close.

Parasite Eve - Main Theme (Orchestral Version) v Wild ARMs 4 - As Time Goes By ~ Never Forget Me - Vocals. 
Breath of Fire 5 - Waste Abandonment Pit v Final Fantasy 9 - Final Battle - Really like Necron's music.  RANK NECRON'S MUSIC!
Suikoden 2: Reminiscence v Breath of Fire 4 - Even Towards Death, Valiantly - Do not like Reminiscence, or much S2 music.  Unwavering Courage is one of the best BoF4 songs, if not the best.
Wild ARMs 1 - Oops... v Tales of Symphonia - Beat the Angel - End of a Thought might win here...but Oops > Beat the Angel.
[11:53] <+Meeple_Gorath> me reading, that's a good one

[19:26] * +Terra_Condor looks up. Star Wars Football, what?
[19:27] <+Terra_Condor> Han Kicks First?
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Vader intercepts.
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Touchdown and Alderaan explodes in the victory

Lance

• Groovy~
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • My Foxkei profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2008, 12:12:19 AM »
Wild Arms 3 - There's Only One Family Named Schroedinger v Ys Origin - -Bonus track- GENESIS BEYOND THE BEGINNING
Brigandine: Grand Edition- Estrogares Empire map theme v Disgaea 2 - Etna Rock - Somewhat bland vs. OH GOD MY EARS!!
Final Fantasy VI - Aria de Mezzo Carattere v Digital Devil Saga - Hunting ~ Compulsion - Ha ha ha, wow.  This may be the most one-sided match of the entire competition so far. Compulsion is awesome while that particular FF6 track has always bothered me for some reason.

Wild ARMs 1 - Oops... v Tales of Symphonia - Beat the Angel - I'm probably the biggest Sakuraba fan here and I'm still voting against Beat the Angel. The power of Zed compels me.

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2008, 12:43:35 AM »
Wild Arms 3 - There's Only One Family Named Schroedinger v Ys Origin - -Bonus track- GENESIS BEYOND THE BEGINNING- Blah. Family would beat any other song in this top half, but not GENESIS.
Final Fantasy VII- Cid's theme v Final Fantasy VIII - The Man with the Machine Gun - Not a huge fan of Cid's Theme
Brigandine: Grand Edition- Estrogares Empire map theme v Disgaea 2 - Etna Rock - Still don't care for Etna Rock
Final Fantasy VI - Aria de Mezzo Carattere v Digital Devil Saga - Hunting ~ Compulsion-Feeling the DDS music today.

Parasite Eve - Main Theme (Orchestral Version) v Wild ARMs 4 - As Time Goes By ~ Never Forget Me - Love the PE theme
Breath of Fire 5 - Waste Abandonment Pit v Final Fantasy 9 - Final Battle - Easy enough
Suikoden 2: Reminiscence v Breath of Fire 4 - Even Towards Death, Valiantly - Hmm, feeling this more today.
Wild ARMs 1 - Oops... v Tales of Symphonia - Beat the Angel - Easy enough

Bleh, only 2 close matches in the pool?
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2008, 02:24:08 AM »
Wild Arms 3 - There's Only One Family Named Schroedinger v Ys Origin - -Bonus track- GENESIS BEYOND THE BEGINNING: Holy shit, man. (No, I didn't listen to this in the first round).
Final Fantasy VII- Cid's theme v Final Fantasy VIII - The Man with the Machine Gun: Both are pretty awesome. I'm just more attached to Cid right now.
Brigandine: Grand Edition- Estrogares Empire map theme v Disgaea 2 - Etna Rock: I like the Etna Rock. It swings and has plenty of attitude. Brig track isn't grating, but it is kinda unremarkable.
Final Fantasy VI - Aria de Mezzo Carattere v Digital Devil Saga - Hunting ~ Compulsion: Not one of the DDS tracks I really like. There's no sense of drama!

Parasite Eve - Main Theme (Orchestral Version) v Wild ARMs 4 - As Time Goes By ~ Never Forget Me: Mismatch. Champ material vs. a generic vocal track that I forget even existed.
Breath of Fire 5 - Waste Abandonment Pit v Final Fantasy 9 - Final Battle: Atmosphere! I actually like Necron's battle track, but Waste Abandonment Pit has music and context going for it.
Suikoden 2: Reminiscence v Breath of Fire 4 - Even Towards Death, Valiantly: Apathy.
Wild ARMs 1 - Oops... v Tales of Symphonia - Beat the Angel: Just more focused.

Soulgain

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2008, 06:36:41 AM »

Twilkitri

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2008, 11:46:50 AM »
Wild Arms 3 - There's Only One Family Named Schroedinger v Ys Origin - -Bonus track- GENESIS BEYOND THE BEGINNING - Unholy slaughter.
Final Fantasy VII- Cid's theme v Final Fantasy VIII - The Man with the Machine Gun - More uplifting.
Brigandine: Grand Edition- Estrogares Empire map theme v Disgaea 2 - Etna Rock - I don't care much for the style of the song, but Estrogares is boring.
Final Fantasy VI - Aria de Mezzo Carattere v Digital Devil Saga - Hunting ~ Compulsion - Both good, I think I'm in a mood for something a little harsher than Aria at the moment.

Parasite Eve - Main Theme (Orchestral Version) v Wild ARMs 4 - As Time Goes By ~ Never Forget Me - Overly long, but I think it's preferable to Never regardless.
Breath of Fire 5 - Waste Abandonment Pit v Final Fantasy 9 - Final Battle - Better for longer.
Suikoden 2: Reminiscence v Breath of Fire 4 - Even Towards Death, Valiantly - Not BoF4 music
Wild ARMs 1 - Oops... v Tales of Symphonia - Beat the Angel - Too short versus BELLS

Cmdr_King

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2008, 04:05:22 AM »
Final Fantasy VII- Cid's theme v Final Fantasy VIII - The Man with the Machine Gun- Mmm.  Both songs I've adored at one time or another.  Feeling Cid a lot more right now though.
Brigandine: Grand Edition- Estrogares Empire map theme v Disgaea 2 - Etna Rock- Eh, either way.
Final Fantasy VI - Aria de Mezzo Carattere v Digital Devil Saga - Hunting ~ Compulsion- Meh at Compulsion.

Parasite Eve - Main Theme (Orchestral Version) v Wild ARMs 4 - As Time Goes By ~ Never Forget Me- Pretty easy.
Breath of Fire 5 - Waste Abandonment Pit v Final Fantasy 9 - Final Battle- BoFV backgrounds are... um, too subdued.

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2008, 12:19:40 AM »
On relisten, I went through the first track, and found I liked it more than before, and thought there was a good chance of it winning.  Then I started Genesis, and two seconds later, I knew this match for the blowout that it is.  Kudos to Schroedinger, it's a good piece that deserves better, but it in no way can touch Genesis.

Man, continuing with the good matches here.  Again, Laguna deserves better, but the understated pride in Cid's Theme is something that's always spoken to me, and I cannot deny it here.

Esgares isn't special, but I recall vehemently disliking Etna Rock, so easy vote here.

Not getting off this train until it ends, for all that it looks like it's gonna end here.  Ah well, at least it's not a sweep.  Not to mention, even without the bias, I can't actually see anything special about Hunting Compulsion which...  is overly long for something which aspires to hang in the background with one part that's vaguely listenable.

Nothing here really to like, but it's always a bad sign when I distract myself and then have a thought several minutes late, "Wait a minute, that song's still playing?" and am annoyed by that fact.  At least Never Forget Me does it's job and ends.

BoF5's stuff works great as background, but as a standalone piece, FF9-FB just takes it to pieces.

Doesn't need a relisten as I don't recall any of the BoF stuff catching my interest, and Reminiscence is a personal favourite.

Zany, unique, and memorable vs. catchy, but generic.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2008, 10:02:12 PM »
Wild Arms 3 - There's Only One Family Named Schroedinger v Ys Origin - -Bonus track- GENESIS BEYOND THE BEGINNING - Cool vs. passable.
Final Fantasy VII- Cid's theme v Final Fantasy VIII - The Man with the Machine Gun - MwtMG is neat.

Suikoden 2: Reminiscence v Breath of Fire 4 - Even Towards Death, Valiantly - Reminiscence is pretty good.

Nitori

• Denizen
  • The only thing YOU'RE onto is your mot-
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2008, 10:10:35 PM »

<Ko-NitoriisSulpher> roll 1d100 to grade Nitori?
<Hatbot> ACTION --> "Ko-NitoriisSulpher rolls 1d100 to grade Nitori? and gets 100." [1d100=100]

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2008, 01:29:14 AM »
Wild Arms 3 - There's Only One Family Named Schroedinger v Ys Origin - -Bonus track- GENESIS BEYOND THE BEGINNING: The two best tracks here, possibly. Doesn't deserve to be as non-close as it seems to be, but I won't be upset regardless.
Final Fantasy VII- Cid's theme v Final Fantasy VIII - The Man with the Machine Gun: The uniqueness of Machinegun holds up better a decade later, for all that I would have considered this really close once.
Brigandine: Grand Edition- Estrogares Empire map theme v Disgaea 2 - Etna Rock: Pretty close, but yeah.
Final Fantasy VI - Aria de Mezzo Carattere v Digital Devil Saga - Hunting ~ Compulsion: The sheer slaughter.

Parasite Eve - Main Theme (Orchestral Version) v Wild ARMs 4 - As Time Goes By ~ Never Forget Me: Lamefest. Main's not bad but certainly not great, WA4 vocals fail.
Breath of Fire 5 - Waste Abandonment Pit v Final Fantasy 9 - Final Battle: Necron's got a nice final battle piece going. WAP is sleep-inducing, though certainly good for such a track! (Meaning I like it, but won't vote it over something that is ALSO good, and exciting too.)
Suikoden 2: Reminiscence v Breath of Fire 4 - Even Towards Death, Valiantly: Oooh. Valiantly is pretty kickass, Reminiscence is merely good.
Wild ARMs 1 - Oops... v Tales of Symphonia - Beat the Angel: Zed!

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2008, 10:58:09 PM »
Don't feel like doing comments this time.

[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2008, 02:27:01 AM »
Wild Arms 3 - There's Only One Family Named Schroedinger v Ys Origin - -Bonus track- GENESIS BEYOND THE BEGINNING - ;_;

Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2008, 03:41:15 AM »
Wild Arms 3 - There's Only One Family Named Schroedinger v Ys Origin - -Bonus track- GENESIS BEYOND THE BEGINNING - [21:30:41] <+RichardHawk> Make sure to hype Falcom Paunch Tallychu.  Okay, in all seriousness, it does rock!
Final Fantasy VII- Cid's theme v Final Fantasy VIII - The Man with the Machine Gun - Doesn't fail.
Brigandine: Grand Edition- Estrogares Empire map theme v Disgaea 2 - Etna Rock - I guess.
Final Fantasy VI - Aria de Mezzo Carattere v Digital Devil Saga - Hunting ~ Compulsion - Sure.

Parasite Eve - Main Theme (Orchestral Version) v Wild ARMs 4 - As Time Goes By ~ Never Forget Me - Aw hell I like both of these.
Breath of Fire 5 - Waste Abandonment Pit v Final Fantasy 9 - Final Battle - Less boring.
Suikoden 2: Reminiscence v Breath of Fire 4 - Even Towards Death, Valiantly - Meh.
Wild ARMs 1 - Oops... v Tales of Symphonia - Beat the Angel - Yeah, Zed beats the angel.

Cmdr_King

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2008, 02:56:29 AM »
Schroedinger- iii v Genesis- xvi
Cid- xii v Laguna- xiiii
Brig- xi v Etna- viiii
Aria- viiii v Compulsion- xii

Main- xiii v Time- vi
Waste- iiii v Final- xvii
Reminiscence- xii v Death- viiii
Oops- xv v Angel- vi

A few looked close for a while, but never quite pulled it together.  Alas~  Thanks for voting.