Register

Author Topic: Topic: Music Tournament of Doom Round 3 Pools 13-16  (Read 4618 times)

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
Re: Topic: Music Tournament of Doom Round 3 Pools 13-16
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 06:44:40 AM »
Front Mission 4- Hostiles v Ys The Oath In Felghana - Sealed Time: Livelier.
.hack//G.U. 2 - Gentle Hands -English- v Final Fantasy X: Someday the Dream Will End: Prettier and more emotive; Gentle Hands isn't a bad vocal but it still falls into some of their traps.
Legend of Mana: The Darkness Nova v Xenogears: Flight: Clowns! Nooo~ Anyway, still pretty easy.
Soul Nomad: Cradle of the Ivory Moon v Suikoden III: Exceeding Love: Still sexy.

Castlevania series- Illusionary Dance/Dance of Illusions v Valkyrie Profile - The First Unison: lol Castlevania music. First Unison is godly on the other hand.
Atelier Iris 2 – Resounding Heartbeat v Romancing Saga Minstrel Song - Written Invitation to Death -The Battle with Death-: I think?
Wild ARMs 4 - Over the Wind v Chrono Cross- Dream of the Shore Bordering Another World: Battle of map musics! WA4's is good, CC's is better.
Perfect Cherry Blossom - Phantom Ensemble v Wild Arms XF - Blank Easel: Mmm hmm. Sorry, I dig good WA more than good Touhou.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 06:51:20 AM »
Front Mission 4- Hostiles v Ys The Oath In Felghana - Sealed Time
.hack//G.U. 2 - Gentle Hands -English- v Final Fantasy X: Someday the Dream Will End
Legend of Mana: The Darkness Nova v Xenogears: Flight
Soul Nomad: Cradle of the Ivory Moon v Suikoden III: Exceeding Love

Castlevania series- Illusionary Dance/Dance of Illusions v Valkyrie Profile - The First Unison
Atelier Iris 2 – Resounding Heartbeat v Romancing Saga Minstrel Song - Written Invitation to Death -The Battle with Death-
Wild ARMs 4 - Over the Wind v Chrono Cross- Dream of the Shore Bordering Another World
Perfect Cherry Blossom - Phantom Ensemble v Wild Arms XF - Blank Easel

Ranmilia

• Poetry Lover
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Not a squid!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 06:56:33 AM »
.hack//G.U. 2 - Gentle Hands -English- v Final Fantasy X: Someday the Dream Will End

Castlevania series- Illusionary Dance/Dance of Illusions v Valkyrie Profile - The First Unison
Atelier Iris 2 – Resounding Heartbeat v Romancing Saga Minstrel Song - Written Invitation to Death -The Battle with Death-
Wild ARMs 4 - Over the Wind v Chrono Cross- Dream of the Shore Bordering Another World

Tonfa

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 07:12:33 AM »
Front Mission 4- Hostiles v Ys The Oath In Felghana - Sealed Time: Crunchy.
.hack//G.U. 2 - Gentle Hands -English- v Final Fantasy X: Someday the Dream Will End: Massively growing on me.
Legend of Mana: The Darkness Nova v Xenogears: Flight: In a battle of massive apathy. Why must either of these advance?
Soul Nomad: Cradle of the Ivory Moon v Suikoden III: Exceeding Love: Remainders of pool 14 induce apathy in general apparently.

Castlevania series- Illusionary Dance/Dance of Illusions v Valkyrie Profile - The First Unison: I'm being annoyed by First Unison synth this time. Works for tiebreaking.
Atelier Iris 2 – Resounding Heartbeat v Romancing Saga Minstrel Song - Written Invitation to Death -The Battle with Death-: Fatality.
Wild ARMs 4 - Over the Wind v Chrono Cross- Dream of the Shore Bordering Another World: Flawless victory.
Perfect Cherry Blossom - Phantom Ensemble v Wild Arms XF - Blank Easel: Wonderfultasticness.
<Niu> If I ever see that Langfadood, i'll strangle him on sight
<Gourry> What, for making the game three times better?
<Gourry> And playable, at that?
<Niu> that lose the whole point of of L2!!!

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 07:19:43 AM »
Front Mission 4- Hostiles v Ys The Oath In Felghana - Sealed Time: Hostiles is just good for FM4. Sealed Time is good for music in general.
.hack//G.U. 2 - Gentle Hands -English- v Final Fantasy X: Someday the Dream Will End: Really classy, does an excellent job of setting the mood in-game, and reuses a main theme to good effect. Gentle Hands is good, but it's outclassed here.
Legend of Mana: The Darkness Nova v Xenogears: Flight: Sadness, both are awesome.
Soul Nomad: Cradle of the Ivory Moon v Suikoden III: Exceeding Love: Much more memorable, for all that I enjoy both.

Castlevania series- Illusionary Dance/Dance of Illusions v Valkyrie Profile - The First Unison: Easy.
Atelier Iris 2 – Resounding Heartbeat v Romancing Saga Minstrel Song - Written Invitation to Death -The Battle with Death-: Rending, slaughtering, devouring, etc. I don't think anything in AI2 could beat a RSMS boss track.
Perfect Cherry Blossom - Phantom Ensemble v Wild Arms XF - Blank Easel: Listening to Blank Easel again and...really not getting the hype here. It's generic WA music. And I like WA music, it's just that this doesn't try be anything but "another WA track."

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2008, 08:19:20 AM »

Nitori

• Denizen
  • The only thing YOU'RE onto is your mot-
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2008, 08:52:43 AM »
Front Mission 4- Hostiles v Ys The Oath In Felghana - Sealed Time - Underdog vote~
.hack//G.U. 2 - Gentle Hands -English- v Final Fantasy X: Someday the Dream Will End - Less sleep-inducing~
Legend of Mana: The Darkness Nova v Xenogears: Flight - Urgh~
Soul Nomad: Cradle of the Ivory Moon v Suikoden III: Exceeding Love - Yay~

Castlevania series- Illusionary Dance/Dance of Illusions
v Valkyrie Profile - The First Unison - Whatever.
Perfect Cherry Blossom - Phantom Ensemble v Wild Arms XF - Blank Easel - See Cid, add infinite times more Phantom Ensemble love~
<Ko-NitoriisSulpher> roll 1d100 to grade Nitori?
<Hatbot> ACTION --> "Ko-NitoriisSulpher rolls 1d100 to grade Nitori? and gets 100." [1d100=100]

dude789

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2008, 03:45:04 PM »

InfinityDragon

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2008, 07:25:33 PM »
Front Mission 4- Hostiles v Ys The Oath In Felghana - Sealed Time - Not sleep inducing.
.hack//G.U. 2 - Gentle Hands -English- v Final Fantasy X: Someday the Dream Will End - Sure
Legend of Mana: The Darkness Nova v Xenogears: Flight - Slaughter.
Soul Nomad: Cradle of the Ivory Moon v Suikoden III: Exceeding Love - Weakest SN song loses here.

Castlevania series- Illusionary Dance/Dance of Illusions v Valkyrie Profile - The First Unison - Infinitely better instrumentation.
Atelier Iris 2 – Resounding Heartbeat v Romancing Saga Minstrel Song - Written Invitation to Death -The Battle with Death- - The RSMS songs continue to kill everything else.
Wild ARMs 4 - Over the Wind v Chrono Cross- Dream of the Shore Bordering Another World - Not generic.
Perfect Cherry Blossom - Phantom Ensemble v Wild Arms XF - Blank Easel - When will the godawful Touhou music die!?!?

OblivionKnight

• Boom! Big reveal: I'm a pickle. What do you think about that?
  • Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2008, 07:59:30 PM »
Front Mission 4- Hostiles v Ys The Oath In Felghana - Sealed Time - Ys for sexilicious.
.hack//G.U. 2 - Gentle Hands -English- v Final Fantasy X: Someday the Dream Will End - Good vocal vs. ok but unmemorable FFX music.
Legend of Mana: The Darkness Nova v Xenogears: Flight - Both great. 
Soul Nomad: Cradle of the Ivory Moon v Suikoden III: Exceeding Love - Only good thing from S3. 

Castlevania series- Illusionary Dance/Dance of Illusions v Valkyrie Profile - The First Unison - Yay Valkyries.
Atelier Iris 2 – Resounding Heartbeat v Romancing Saga Minstrel Song - Written Invitation to Death -The Battle with Death- - Two completely different styles!  Both damn good!  But Death is Death, so he gets my vote.
Wild ARMs 4 - Over the Wind v Chrono Cross- Dream of the Shore Bordering Another World - Has more love.  Or something. 
Perfect Cherry Blossom - Phantom Ensemble v Wild Arms XF - Blank Easel - Cute sisters!
[11:53] <+Meeple_Gorath> me reading, that's a good one

[19:26] * +Terra_Condor looks up. Star Wars Football, what?
[19:27] <+Terra_Condor> Han Kicks First?
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Vader intercepts.
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Touchdown and Alderaan explodes in the victory

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2008, 11:10:22 PM »
Front Mission 4- Hostiles v Ys The Oath In Felghana - Sealed Time- Good fight.
pb[.hack//G.U. 2 - Gentle Hands -English-[/b]v Final Fantasy X: Someday the Dream Will End

Castlevania series- Illusionary Dance/Dance of Illusions v Valkyrie Profile - The First Unison- First Unison's good but outclassed by good Castlevania, let alone Illusionary Dance.
Wild ARMs 4 - Over the Wind v Chrono Cross- Dream of the Shore Bordering Another World- Not another boring WA track.
Perfect Cherry Blossom - Phantom Ensemble v Wild Arms XF - Blank Easel- Not Touhou music.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Lance

• Groovy~
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • My Foxkei profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2008, 01:13:55 AM »
.hack//G.U. 2 - Gentle Hands -English- v Final Fantasy X: Someday the Dream Will End - Better than generic Engrish
Legend of Mana: The Darkness Nova v Xenogears: Flight - Huh.  I find it kind of odd that of all the great tracks in Legend of Mana, Darkness Nova is the one that makes it the furthest.  It's not bad or anything; there are just a dozen tracks from that game that are a hell of a lot better.  I just...okay, whatever, I'm rambling now.  Shut up, Lance.  EDIT: Oh, right, forgot about Song of Mana.  Neeeeever mind.

Atelier Iris 2 – Resounding Heartbeat v Romancing Saga Minstrel Song - Written Invitation to Death -The Battle with Death- - Yep, I'm voting against my own song.  You had a good run, Heartbeat.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2008, 11:08:38 PM by Lance »

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2008, 12:22:17 AM »
Front Mission 4- Hostiles v Ys The Oath In Felghana - Sealed Time - I like Hostiles.
Legend of Mana: The Darkness Nova v Xenogears: Flight - Feel like tossing a nod at the underdog.

Castlevania series- Illusionary Dance/Dance of Illusions v Valkyrie Profile - The First Unison - Both awesome and a bit repetitive; still a clear victor.
Atelier Iris 2 – Resounding Heartbeat v Romancing Saga Minstrel Song - Written Invitation to Death -The Battle with Death- Close, but Death isn't my favorite of the RSMS tracks.  Heartbeat is just neat once it gets going.
Perfect Cherry Blossom - Phantom Ensemble v Wild Arms XF - Blank Easel - What are these two doing this late?  I relistened to Phantom Ensemble, and at first was moderately impressed...  then I remembered why I didn't like it about 1:20 in when the horrific instrumentation for the payoff came in.  Ugh.  Way to ruin it.  Easel is inoffensive.

Dhyerwolf

• Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2008, 12:59:05 AM »
...into the nightfall.

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2008, 04:38:06 PM »
Just better in every respect.

Not sure I'd always pick this one, but I'm in more of a mood to appreciate it today

Not even close to the best LoM track in this thing, but it's enough to take a close match.

Once again, Soul Nomad does not impress with its soundtrack.

Resounding Heartbeat may be a great background element, but it doesn't have enough to it to stand alone terribly well.  The Battle with Death, on the other hand, works perfectly well even before it gets going.

Filgain Fall would have put up a fight.  It probably would have lost that fight, but it would have at least been a fight.  As it is, one of CC's better pieces takes this in a walk.

XF isn't that strong musically, though at least it managed to sound western enough to avoid having it's competition sound more like a WA track than it did.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2008, 11:28:28 PM »
Sealed Time
Someday the Dream Will End
The Darkness Nova
Exceeding Love
The First Unison
Written Invitation to Death -The Battle with Death-
Dream of the Shore Bordering Another World
Phantom Ensemble

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2008, 06:13:45 PM »

<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

Cmdr_King

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2008, 10:55:06 PM »
.hack//G.U. 2 - Gentle Hands -English- v Final Fantasy X: Someday the Dream Will End- Mmm.  Close, but I guess novelty is winning today.
Legend of Mana: The Darkness Nova v Xenogears: Flight- Mmm.  Not really feeling Flight today, Darkness Nova it is.

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2008, 02:43:52 PM »
.hack//G.U. 2 - Gentle Hands -English- v Final Fantasy X: Someday the Dream Will End- Closish. Both are okay but not outstanding, FFX one has less vocals.
Legend of Mana: The Darkness Nova v Xenogears: Flight- Not one of my favorite LoM songs but hey.

Wild ARMs 4 - Over the Wind v Chrono Cross- Dream of the Shore Bordering Another World- One of CC's better songs vs. one of WA4's less impressive tracks.
Perfect Cherry Blossom - Phantom Ensemble v Wild Arms XF - Blank Easel- A hilarious mismatch if I've ever seen one. My mouth dropped when I saw that Generica WA Music #332 was even close in this.
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Cmdr_King

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2008, 07:12:06 PM »
This pool closes in 34 hours.  Please make a note of it.

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2008, 12:32:24 AM »
Front Mission 4- Hostiles v Ys The Oath In Felghana - Sealed Time - Easy enough.
.hack//G.U. 2 - Gentle Hands -English- v Final Fantasy X: Someday the Dream Will End - Closer but still not hard.
Legend of Mana: The Darkness Nova v Xenogears: Flight - Also not hard.
Soul Nomad: Cradle of the Ivory Moon v Suikoden III: Exceeding Love - Freaking slaughter.

Castlevania series- Illusionary Dance/Dance of Illusions v Valkyrie Profile - The First Unison - Battle of meh.
Atelier Iris 2 – Resounding Heartbeat v Romancing Saga Minstrel Song - Written Invitation to Death -The Battle with Death- - Both of these are good.
Wild ARMs 4 - Over the Wind v Chrono Cross- Dream of the Shore Bordering Another World - Sure.
Perfect Cherry Blossom - Phantom Ensemble v Wild Arms XF - Blank Easel - Match of awesome!

Yakumo

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2008, 03:29:50 AM »

Twilkitri

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2008, 04:35:40 PM »
Front Mission 4- Hostiles v Ys The Oath In Felghana - Sealed Time - Less hostile to my ears
.hack//G.U. 2 - Gentle Hands -English- v Final Fantasy X: Someday the Dream Will End - Some day the lack of good tracks will end
Legend of Mana: The Darkness Nova v Xenogears: Flight - Feel more like soaring music than megaman music currently
Soul Nomad: Cradle of the Ivory Moon v Suikoden III: Exceeding Love - Exceedingly better vocals.

Castlevania series- Illusionary Dance/Dance of Illusions v Valkyrie Profile - The First Unison - I'm afraid this one's beyond me
Atelier Iris 2 – Resounding Heartbeat v Romancing Saga Minstrel Song - Written Invitation to Death -The Battle with Death- - Dead hearts don't resound to well
Wild ARMs 4 - Over the Wind v Chrono Cross- Dream of the Shore Bordering Another World - So far over the wind that it isn't funny
Perfect Cherry Blossom - Phantom Ensemble v Wild Arms XF - Blank Easel - That whistling noise you hear is the blank easel being thrown out in the wind

Cmdr_King

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2008, 05:52:54 AM »
Hostiles- iii v Time- xvii
Gentle- x v Dream- xi
Darkness- xv v Flight- vi
Cradle- vi v Love- xvi

Illusion- vii v Unison- xiiii
Heartbeat- iiii v Death- xvi
Wind- v v Shore- xvi
Ensemble- xiiii v Easel- vii

And that's all she wrote.  So long, Round 3!  Thanks for voting.