Author Topic: Music Tournament of Doom Round 4 Pools 9-16  (Read 3909 times)

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
Music Tournament of Doom Round 4 Pools 9-16
« on: June 05, 2008, 06:01:40 AM »
Alrighty folks, this is it, the other half of Round 4!  These are the finalists of pools 9-16 duking it out!  Or something.  More importantly, this is the last split topic; the next round will begin the final stages, a single topic to contain them all.

Since this is the ideal place, a schedualling note.  Next Sunday, the counterpart to this topic closes, but there will be no new pool.  This pool will close next Wednesday, but the Sweet 16 5th round will not open until the following Sunday!
There may or may not be interim 'entertainment'.  Oh yes, dread the alternative...
Oh yes.
Closes one week hence.

Romancing SaGa: Decisive Battle! -Final Battle with Saruin- v Romancing SaGa: Calling an Awakening Memory -The Battle with Schirach-
Persona 2: Eternal Punishment - Aoba Park v Mana Khemia - STIGMATA
Persona 3 - Battle for Everyone's Souls v Phantom Brave - Strange Wind
Chrono Cross - Chrono Cross ~Time's Scar~ v Wild Arms 3: Losing the Inescapable Nightmare, an Unending Reality

Ys The Oath In Felghana - Sealed Time v Final Fantasy X: Someday the Dream Will End
Legend of Mana: The Darkness Nova v Suikoden III: Exceeding Love
Valkyrie Profile - The First Unison v Romancing Saga Minstrel Song - Written Invitation to Death -The Battle with Death-
Chrono Cross- Dream of the Shore Bordering Another World v Perfect Cherry Blossom - Phantom Ensemble
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Tonfa

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: Music Tournament of Doom Round 4 Pools 9-16
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 06:12:32 AM »
Romancing SaGa: Decisive Battle! -Final Battle with Saruin- v Romancing SaGa: Calling an Awakening Memory -The Battle with Schirach-: Saruin is the best of the Big Four.
Persona 2: Eternal Punishment - Aoba Park v Mana Khemia - STIGMATA: More than ambience.
Persona 3 - Battle for Everyone's Souls v Phantom Brave - Strange Wind: Heh, rematch from elsewhere...still as easy to call, too.
Chrono Cross - Chrono Cross ~Time's Scar~ v Wild Arms 3: Losing the Inescapable Nightmare, an Unending Reality: Time's Scar is wonderful positive energy. Nightmare just is there.

Ys The Oath In Felghana - Sealed Time v Final Fantasy X: Someday the Dream Will End: Most of these pairs this round are Godlike vs Heavy, really.
Legend of Mana: The Darkness Nova v Suikoden III: Exceeding Love: ...and now we hit the scrub-off. Uh. I'm at least feeling Darkness Nova a bit this round.
Valkyrie Profile - The First Unison v Romancing Saga Minstrel Song - Written Invitation to Death -The Battle with Death-: As epic a slaughter as the difference in sound quality.
Chrono Cross- Dream of the Shore Bordering Another World v Perfect Cherry Blossom - Phantom Ensemble: Speaking of bad synth, Phantom Ensemble shouldn't be going on from this round!
<Niu> If I ever see that Langfadood, i'll strangle him on sight
<Gourry> What, for making the game three times better?
<Gourry> And playable, at that?
<Niu> that lose the whole point of of L2!!!

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 06:23:32 AM »
Romancing SaGa: Decisive Battle! -Final Battle with Saruin- v Romancing SaGa: Calling an Awakening Memory -The Battle with Schirach-: Shirach does some awesome things with the electric guitar. Saruin... feels a bit more like a generic Saga battle theme. Though still awesome enough in its own way.
Persona 2: Eternal Punishment - Aoba Park v Mana Khemia - STIGMATA: There isn't a track left in the contest I'd think about voting Aoba Park over. Go away.
Persona 3 - Battle for Everyone's Souls v Phantom Brave - Strange Wind: Pretty vs. not-seeing-the-appeal.
Chrono Cross - Chrono Cross ~Time's Scar~ v Wild Arms 3: Losing the Inescapable Nightmare, an Unending Reality: Beatrice SMAAASH. Awesome battle music vs. something that is boring or shrill too often. Though really good at times, too.

Ys The Oath In Felghana - Sealed Time v Final Fantasy X: Someday the Dream Will End: Extremely close, will be happy either way, etc.
Legend of Mana: The Darkness Nova v Suikoden III: Exceeding Love: See above. I'll be happy with this one either way.
Valkyrie Profile - The First Unison v Romancing Saga Minstrel Song - Written Invitation to Death -The Battle with Death-: Death is definitely the weak link of the Big Four.
Chrono Cross- Dream of the Shore Bordering Another World v Perfect Cherry Blossom - Phantom Ensemble: May flip this? Very close, very different.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Nitori

• Denizen
  • The only thing YOU'RE onto is your mot-
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 06:47:59 AM »
Romancing SaGa: Decisive Battle! -Final Battle with Saruin- v Romancing SaGa: Calling an Awakening Memory -The Battle with Schirach- - More style to it.
Persona 2: Eternal Punishment - Aoba Park v Mana Khemia - STIGMATA - Is cooler~
Persona 3 - Battle for Everyone's Souls v Phantom Brave - Strange Wind - Yay DDR~
Chrono Cross - Chrono Cross ~Time's Scar~ v Wild Arms 3: Losing the Inescapable Nightmare, an Unending Reality - Time's Scar.

Ys The Oath In Felghana - Sealed Time v Final Fantasy X: Someday the Dream Will End - Not that hard.
Legend of Mana: The Darkness Nova v Suikoden III: Exceeding Love - See above.
Valkyrie Profile - The First Unison v Romancing Saga Minstrel Song - Written Invitation to Death -The Battle with Death- - Match of whatever. Agree with Elf though~
Chrono Cross- Dream of the Shore Bordering Another World v Perfect Cherry Blossom - Phantom Ensemble - Easy as usual. Plus, it's my last nom~
<Ko-NitoriisSulpher> roll 1d100 to grade Nitori?
<Hatbot> ACTION --> "Ko-NitoriisSulpher rolls 1d100 to grade Nitori? and gets 100." [1d100=100]

InfinityDragon

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2008, 06:50:31 AM »
Romancing SaGa: Decisive Battle! -Final Battle with Saruin- v Romancing SaGa: Calling an Awakening Memory -The Battle with Schirach- - Not much needs to be said. This match is awesome.
Persona 2: Eternal Punishment - Aoba Park v Mana Khemia - STIGMATA - Aoba Park continues to draw the scrubs.
Persona 3 - Battle for Everyone's Souls v Phantom Brave - Strange Wind - Kersplat. Hopefully BFES goes on to smash Losing the Inescapable Nightmare.
Chrono Cross - Chrono Cross ~Time's Scar~ v Wild Arms 3: Losing the Inescapable Nightmare, an Unending Reality - I guess.

Ys The Oath In Felghana - Sealed Time v Final Fantasy X: Someday the Dream Will End - Not close.
Legend of Mana: The Darkness Nova v Suikoden III: Exceeding Love - Solid match.
Valkyrie Profile - The First Unison v Romancing Saga Minstrel Song - Written Invitation to Death -The Battle with Death- - Not close. First Unison loses on sound quality, uniqueness, melody, harmony, instrumentation, and about everything else.
Chrono Cross- Dream of the Shore Bordering Another World v Perfect Cherry Blossom - Phantom Ensemble - See above, only Phantom Ensemble is a rancid pit of putrid shit infested suck whereas First Unison was at least okay.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2008, 08:08:50 AM »
OUCH, too many good tracks clashed early here.

Calling an Awakening Memory -The Battle with Schirach-
STIGMATA
Strange Wind
Chrono Cross - Chrono Cross ~Time's Scar~

Someday the Dream Will End
Exceeding Love
Written Invitation to Death -The Battle with Death-
Dream of the Shore Bordering Another World

Dhyerwolf

• Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2008, 08:16:42 AM »
Persona 2: Eternal Punishment - Aoba Park v Mana Khemia - STIGMATA- Mellow in an Awesome Way
Persona 3 - Battle for Everyone's Souls v Phantom Brave - Strange Wind- Strange Wind is not my type.
Chrono Cross - Chrono Cross ~Time's Scar~ v Wild Arms 3: Losing the Inescapable Nightmare, an Unending Reality- Vibrant!

Ys The Oath In Felghana - Sealed Time v Final Fantasy X: Someday the Dream Will End- Someday the Dream Will End is mellow is a bland way. Sealed Time Dhyer-bait.
Legend of Mana: The Darkness Nova v Suikoden III: Exceeding Love- Darkness Nova is good, but Exceeding Love is awesome and extremely unique, and tricked me into thinking S3 would be awesome.
Valkyrie Profile - The First Unison v Romancing Saga Minstrel Song - Written Invitation to Death -The Battle with Death-- First Unison is extremely average for VP, so surprised it got this far.
Chrono Cross- Dream of the Shore Bordering Another World v Perfect Cherry Blossom - Phantom Ensemble- Grah, Phantom Ensemble is discordant.
...into the nightfall.

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2008, 10:53:44 AM »
Romancing SaGa: Decisive Battle! -Final Battle with Saruin- v Romancing SaGa: Calling an Awakening Memory -The Battle with Schirach-
Chrono Cross - Chrono Cross ~Time's Scar~ v Wild Arms 3: Losing the Inescapable Nightmare, an Unending Reality

Ys The Oath In Felghana - Sealed Time v Final Fantasy X: Someday the Dream Will End
Valkyrie Profile - The First Unison v Romancing Saga Minstrel Song - Written Invitation to Death -The Battle with Death-
Chrono Cross- Dream of the Shore Bordering Another World v Perfect Cherry Blossom - Phantom Ensemble

dude789

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2008, 11:44:57 AM »

Ranmilia

• Poetry Lover
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Not a squid!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2008, 01:41:22 PM »
Romancing SaGa: Decisive Battle! -Final Battle with Saruin- v Romancing SaGa: Calling an Awakening Memory -The Battle with Schirach- - Eh, whichever, they're about the same to me.
Persona 2: Eternal Punishment - Aoba Park v Mana Khemia - STIGMATA - Excellent vs scrub, can't fathom how Stigmata's this far in.
Persona 3 - Battle for Everyone's Souls v Phantom Brave - Strange Wind - See previous match. 
Chrono Cross - Chrono Cross ~Time's Scar~ v Wild Arms 3: Losing the Inescapable Nightmare, an Unending Reality - See previous two matches.
(Okay, Strange Wind isn't as bad as the other two.  Still not close.)

Ys The Oath In Felghana - Sealed Time v Final Fantasy X: Someday the Dream Will End - See previous three matches.
Legend of Mana: The Darkness Nova v Suikoden III: Exceeding Love - Finally!  I totally called that we could skip this entire pool way back when.  Good match.
Valkyrie Profile - The First Unison v Romancing Saga Minstrel Song - Written Invitation to Death -The Battle with Death- - See four matches above, though my praise for Death is tempered.
Chrono Cross- Dream of the Shore Bordering Another World v Perfect Cherry Blossom - Phantom Ensemble - Finally Ensemble runs into something I can feel good about voting over it.

Wow, this half is a mess.  Only two good matches to me, the rest seems like extreme opinion splits.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2008, 04:29:15 PM »
Persona 2: Eternal Punishment - Aoba Park v Mana Khemia - STIGMATA- I like Aoba park the more I listen to it. A pretty, wonderful mood piece.
Persona 3 - Battle for Everyone's Souls v Phantom Brave - Strange Wind- *Waves Souls for champ flags*
Chrono Cross - Chrono Cross ~Time's Scar~ v Wild Arms 3: Losing the Inescapable Nightmare, an Unending Reality- *Punts Beatrice's theme* GO AWAY.

"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Lance

• Groovy~
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • My Foxkei profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2008, 11:51:50 PM »
Romancing SaGa: Decisive Battle! -Final Battle with Saruin- v Romancing SaGa: Calling an Awakening Memory -The Battle with Schirach- - They're both excellent, so I'll be happy either way
Persona 2: Eternal Punishment - Aoba Park v Mana Khemia - STIGMATA - Aoba Park is pleasant and all, but it just sounds so boring and uninspired compared to the rest of the tracks left in the competition. I honestly have no idea how it has managed to get this far. Stigmata being completely awesome is just icing on the cake.
Persona 3 - Battle for Everyone's Souls v Phantom Brave - Strange Wind - Burns more bread

Legend of Mana: The Darkness Nova v Suikoden III: Exceeding Love - Requisite match of meh
Valkyrie Profile - The First Unison v Romancing Saga Minstrel Song - Written Invitation to Death -The Battle with Death- - Crunch.  This is so one-sided it's not even funny

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2008, 12:07:50 AM »
Romancing SaGa: Decisive Battle! -Final Battle with Saruin- v Romancing SaGa: Calling an Awakening Memory -The Battle with Schirach- - Easy!
Persona 2: Eternal Punishment - Aoba Park v Mana Khemia - STIGMATA - Aww, these are both awesome.
Persona 3 - Battle for Everyone's Souls v Phantom Brave - Strange Wind - Also easy!
Chrono Cross - Chrono Cross ~Time's Scar~ v Wild Arms 3: Losing the Inescapable Nightmare, an Unending Reality - Both are great, but I think I like Beatrice more.

Ys The Oath In Felghana - Sealed Time v Final Fantasy X: Someday the Dream Will End - I guess.
Legend of Mana: The Darkness Nova v Suikoden III: Exceeding Love - Not Exceeding Love.
Valkyrie Profile - The First Unison v Romancing Saga Minstrel Song - Written Invitation to Death -The Battle with Death- - Death is one of the weaker ones but it still beats VP synth.
Chrono Cross- Dream of the Shore Bordering Another World v Perfect Cherry Blossom - Phantom Ensemble - Both of these are good but Lunasa > Serge.

Soulgain

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2008, 04:37:20 AM »

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2008, 05:14:08 AM »
Romancing SaGa: Decisive Battle! -Final Battle with Saruin- v Romancing SaGa: Calling an Awakening Memory -The Battle with Schirach-: Somewhat more badass.
Persona 2: Eternal Punishment - Aoba Park v Mana Khemia - STIGMATA: Both are awesome, just liking Stigmata more at the moment.
Persona 3 - Battle for Everyone's Souls v Phantom Brave - Strange Wind: Which is fine, because Persona music easily wins here.
Chrono Cross - Chrono Cross ~Time's Scar~ v Wild Arms 3: Losing the Inescapable Nightmare, an Unending Reality: Fanboy. Won't be upset to see Time's Scar move on instead, though. Pretty much everything left is cool, actually.

Ys The Oath In Felghana - Sealed Time v Final Fantasy X: Someday the Dream Will End: Both are awesome, just feeling the FF track more at the moment.
Legend of Mana: The Darkness Nova v Suikoden III: Exceeding Love: Ditto.
Valkyrie Profile - The First Unison v Romancing Saga Minstrel Song - Written Invitation to Death -The Battle with Death-: This one's pretty easy though, much as I like First Unison. Battle With Death...might be my favorite of the big RSMS tracks.
Chrono Cross- Dream of the Shore Bordering Another World v Perfect Cherry Blossom - Phantom Ensemble: Not especially fond of Phantom Ensemble. Mostly it got lucky and faced stuff I didn't care about. This ends now.

OblivionKnight

• Boom! Big reveal: I'm a pickle. What do you think about that?
  • Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2008, 02:51:18 PM »
Romancing SaGa: Decisive Battle! -Final Battle with Saruin- v Romancing SaGa: Calling an Awakening Memory -The Battle with Schirach- - Like Saruin more!  Both are good enough.
Persona 2: Eternal Punishment - Aoba Park v Mana Khemia - STIGMATA - Thinking I like this better than the background music at the moment.
Persona 3 - Battle for Everyone's Souls v Phantom Brave - Strange Wind - Destroy the world.
Chrono Cross - Chrono Cross ~Time's Scar~ v Wild Arms 3: Losing the Inescapable Nightmare, an Unending Reality - Beatrice for awesome.

Ys The Oath In Felghana - Sealed Time v Final Fantasy X: Someday the Dream Will End - Ys!
Legend of Mana: The Darkness Nova v Suikoden III: Exceeding Love - Yep, now the love dies.
Valkyrie Profile - The First Unison v Romancing Saga Minstrel Song - Written Invitation to Death -The Battle with Death- - Eh...tough, but Unison is really cool.
Chrono Cross- Dream of the Shore Bordering Another World v Perfect Cherry Blossom - Phantom Ensemble - Damnit, Suizome lost ;_;
[11:53] <+Meeple_Gorath> me reading, that's a good one

[19:26] * +Terra_Condor looks up. Star Wars Football, what?
[19:27] <+Terra_Condor> Han Kicks First?
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Vader intercepts.
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Touchdown and Alderaan explodes in the victory

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2008, 05:00:07 PM »
Persona 2: Eternal Punishment - Aoba Park v Mana Khemia - STIGMATA- both are shit
Persona 3 - Battle for Everyone's Souls v Phantom Brave - Strange Wind- Hilariously the-opposite-of-close.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 03:34:07 AM by Ciato »
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2008, 08:21:39 PM »
Romancing SaGa: Decisive Battle! -Final Battle with Saruin- v Romancing SaGa: Calling an Awakening Memory -The Battle with Schirach- Pretty easy.  This vs. Persephone would be really hard.
Persona 2: Eternal Punishment - Aoba Park v Mana Khemia - STIGMATA - Straightforward.
Persona 3 - Battle for Everyone's Souls v Phantom Brave - Strange Wind - Strange Wind is neat, Battle is on & off.

Legend of Mana: The Darkness Nova v Suikoden III: Exceeding Love - Awesome fight.  Both win.
Valkyrie Profile - The First Unison v Romancing Saga Minstrel Song - Written Invitation to Death -The Battle with Death- Battle with Death is the weakest of the RSMS tracks, which is no insult but still.
Chrono Cross- Dream of the Shore Bordering Another World v Perfect Cherry Blossom - Phantom Ensemble - Please lose Touhou.

Twilkitri

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2008, 10:46:38 AM »
Romancing SaGa: Decisive Battle! -Final Battle with Saruin- v Romancing SaGa: Calling an Awakening Memory -The Battle with Schirach- - Sherah is probably the worst RSMS battle theme in the tourny.
Persona 2: Eternal Punishment - Aoba Park v Mana Khemia - STIGMATA - Both nice. Going with relaxing for the moment.
Persona 3 - Battle for Everyone's Souls v Phantom Brave - Strange Wind - Both of these are pretty mehish on the other hand.
Chrono Cross - Chrono Cross ~Time's Scar~ v Wild Arms 3: Losing the Inescapable Nightmare, an Unending Reality - Meh continues.

Ys The Oath In Felghana - Sealed Time v Final Fantasy X: Someday the Dream Will End - And again.
Legend of Mana: The Darkness Nova v Suikoden III: Exceeding Love - Megaman music's getting a bit old.
Valkyrie Profile - The First Unison v Romancing Saga Minstrel Song - Written Invitation to Death -The Battle with Death- - Death is another reasonably unimpressive RS battle track.
Chrono Cross- Dream of the Shore Bordering Another World v Perfect Cherry Blossom - Phantom Ensemble - Just nicer.

Cmdr_King

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2008, 07:55:57 PM »
Romancing SaGa: Decisive Battle! -Final Battle with Saruin- v Romancing SaGa: Calling an Awakening Memory -The Battle with Schirach-- Both have weird inconsequential problems, so kneejerk.
Persona 2: Eternal Punishment - Aoba Park v Mana Khemia - STIGMATA- Sure.
Persona 3 - Battle for Everyone's Souls v Phantom Brave - Strange Wind- Eh, flipped a coin

Valkyrie Profile - The First Unison v Romancing Saga Minstrel Song - Written Invitation to Death -The Battle with Death-- Similar vibe (oddly), Death win on technical merit.

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2008, 08:51:53 PM »

<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

ThePiggyman

• Denizen
  • The Lonely People (Are Getting Lonelier)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2008, 06:59:17 PM »
Chrono Cross - Chrono Cross ~Time's Scar~ v Wild Arms 3: Losing the Inescapable Nightmare, an Unending Reality - Abstain on voting.

Quote from: DjinnAndTonic
Quote from: OblivionKnight
if you believe in being a GOOD PERSON

If we believed in that, we wouldn't be forcing world-saving hero to fight eachother to the death for our amusement.

Cmdr_King

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2008, 06:56:22 PM »
Saruin- vii v Schirach- xiii
Aoba- v v STIGMATA- xv
Souls- xiiii v Wind- vii
CC- xiii v Beatrice- vii

Sealed- x v Dream- xi
Darkness Nova- xi v Exceeding Love- viiii
First Unison- viii v Death- xiii
Shore- xiii v Phantom- viii

And that's it!  Next round will kick up Sunday.