Register

Author Topic: Less games per ranking period?  (Read 6496 times)

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
Re: Less games per ranking period?
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2008, 06:34:06 AM »
Beating a dead horse here, but:

Gamerankings does not matter. It wouldn't shock me if Gamerankings puts CC above WA4 or some nonsense like that. The DL is its own niche for taste in games, and XS3 has been shocking unpopular -here-. This matters because it scares off potential players among our voters. The NR numbers really do speak for themselves, and I'm sure Super can provide more detailed numbers about how badly its playership here has stalled.

I'd be willing to put good money on Voyager ending up in Heavy. If for some reason I'm wrong, you've got a complete scrub Godlike in the works: unpopular game + unpopular character with little plot + seen as Heavy by a good number of people here = failure. If your goal is to rank (notable) Godlikes, XS3 really seems like a bad game to pick.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2008, 07:20:34 AM »
Games with notable Godlikes...of the reasonable ideas, there aren't that many.  I mean, from FE9, we MIGHT get one should Ashnard get ranked, and I'm not sure he fits the bill frankly (Nergal type w/ actual speed score, and probably better defenses.)  Or LP:T gives us at best Salade whose probably more a borderliner.

Really, only WA5 sounds like it has good Godlike ranks in some of the bosses (the PCs are just atrocious, due to FF8 syndrome, both for dueling worth and for actual interest.  Well, Carol's kind of ok, I guess, due to Life Drain? Still shouldn't get her out of Middle), and that's about it.

I suppose X in MMXCM might hit low Godlike (Good speed, halves all damage after turn 1 (in addition to being faster too), build up to big damage, one shot of Auto-life bringing him back at 10%, if you're wondering what he has), but MMXCM has other issues, so I wouldn't look towards this.
(pity too, MMXCM has fun duelers but rank worthy it is not ;_; )

I suppose Palkia/Dialga have a case of hitting Godlike, though they would probably be the weakest Pokemon Godlikes to date if they did (lack Mewtwo's options, Kyogre's obscene offense or Lugia's defensive game, mainly), and the case is shaky for them anyway.  Then we have to remember that Pokemon always has some issues down the line anyway (COMBINED with how D/P is clearly considerably worse than the previous 3 Generations anyway.) 
(mentioned them since if DP gets ranked, those two likely will be ranked...again, ENTIRELY hypothetical, I am not pushing a DP rank here.)

Feel free to correct me if you want on any of this, or bring up other potential ideas, etc.

So...sounds like barring maybe WA5, we aren't going to get very many Godlikes one way or another.  Frankly, that's not a criteria that's really a big deal anyway.

If nothing else, "Adds a Godlike!" is more just bonus points than anything else (especially if said Godlike is a PC), and not something I'd rank a game off of.

All that nonsense aside...

More or less agree with everything that's been said about XS3.  Among the group, and as NR showed, its clearly not ready.  Sales be damned, its not a well played game HERE which is what matters.  At this point, if XS3 gets anyone in, I'd be willing to rank Allen, though, feels arbitrary to suddenly rank him out of the blue when he's not exactly doing better than the rest of his cast.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

SageAcrin

• WATCH OUT! THAT'S HYDRO PUMP!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...Is it smiling...?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2008, 10:08:11 PM »
I'm not sure there's even one, personally. I'd happily shoot down the three best ideas we have this time around, and I'm pretty sure things ain't getting better.

This.

Why are we even discussing ranking anything this upcoming period? There's no rule that says we have to decide to freeze at X given time or anything.

I don't know. I haven't heard a single idea upcoming that I'd support personally, and I haven't heard a single idea that half the DL can get behind solidly.

WA5 is a borderliner and seems the best idea we have coming up, and it's...a Wild Arms game. Even with some of the antihype, if you can truly call it that, that it has gotten, it's still getting picked up and played by more people than have now. FE9 is a borderliner that, due to the Wii and FE10(Both in the sense that FE10 encourages FE9 play, and in the sense that it alone gives you votership rights on most of FE9.), is also bound to get better. I don't see a reason to rush on either. Disgaea 2 is a borderliner that may not get better...but it's still borderline, and honestly it's case is worse than either of these two for growth; If it crashes between now and another couple of ranking periods, would it have been a good idea to rank anyways?

Super's points on most of the games brought up are ones I agree with. Why are we even discussing ranking anything? Just go ahead and freeze it now. We can worry about how many casts we rank when there's actually stuff to rank. The few FWs we could rank will still be there, and if we haven't ranked half of 'em in 40 seasons, there really can't be too awful much interest. (Stuff like, say, PB Ash excepted, who hasn't been around the 40 seasons. But again, one-person FWs are fairly minor anyways.)
<RichardHawk> Waddle Dee looks broken.
<TranceHime> Waddle Dee does seem broken.

"Forget other people's feelings, this is fun and life is but a game and we nought but players in it.  CHECKMATE!  King me and that is Uno." - Grefter

Monkeyfinger

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2008, 08:44:28 AM »
Don't unfreeze. We've had plenty of ranks in the past few seasons. Give them more time to sit and get exposure with no new crap in the mix. Give these future prospects more time; sounds like they need it.

The one and only part of the ranking process we should proceed with is asking on the site's homepage and in the arena page "what do you want to see?" So that once the future ideas have been given some time to get players, we have some ideas of which ones have demand. Do this soon. This upcoming season maybe. Maybe disallow DL regulars from taking part in it; it's the non-regular fanbase we really need to hear from because right now we have shit all idea what they think.

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2008, 05:33:16 PM »
Comments have names attatched, so who suggests what is pretty much a non-issue.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Monkeyfinger

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2008, 11:43:56 PM »
I don't remember typing that last part

What the fuck is this, I don't even