Register

Author Topic: Succinct Mafia - Game over  (Read 44486 times)

Ranmilia

• Poetry Lover
  • Denizen
  • Not a squid!!
    • View Profile
Re: Succinct Mafia - Game over
« Reply #400 on: September 07, 2008, 04:04:42 AM »
How would I balance third parties?  I wouldn't, I think they're inherently unbalanceable in games with <20 people or so unless there's an open setup and/or heavy duty role mechanics in play.  Certainly not in 11 people.  I would not ever use one in this small a game without a role heavy tag applied. 

Kilga's role was not thought out well at all.  How exactly did he even "win" in the end?  It's 2 votes vs 2 votes, and unlike scum in that situation, he does not have a nightkill in the event of a theoretical no lynch.  He didn't know who scum were and they didn't know who he was, so he couldn't be tied to them.  The lack of NKs causes further confusion, which always hurts town.  Sure, as it turns out in hindsight once you know the setup, he's a disconnected scum (which by the way is an insanely powerful scum role due to the lack of connections, check out what happened in Brawl, also note Kilga's comments on 8/3 being not exactly balanced), but the players in the game had no way to know that while we were playing!  For all we knew, we could have been facing a real SK who could pop out with a night kill at any time.  Or something with delayed mechanics.  Or something that stored up multiple anonymous votes via some condition, I strongly considered this.  Or a scum pulling a no kill gambit.  Or this or that or the other thing.  He's impossible to find because we don't know if we're looking for pro-scum behavior or not.

So we default to looking for pro-scum behavior.  Which is what I said in the game.  And am now being told alternately that "Oh KIlga wasn't too hard to find, just look for scummy stuff" and "You said to look for scummy stuff and that means you're blinding yourself to other possibilities!"

I really don't get it.

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: September 07, 2008, 04:34:17 AM »
Talking with QR about the "This Is Not Worth Considering" thing, I feel like I should post my thoughts on it here.

On Third Parties: Okay, I have a suggestion. how about we, as townies, stop thinking about Scum and Third Party as if they were seperate things and just consider Town and Not-Town? I'm really with Alex on the "non-SK third parties are not worth thinking about" because he's right, you can't plan for them. "well what about the possibility of a third party survivor?" What about it? They don't kill people on thier own, they don't have teammates to draw connections to/from, and generally there's nothing you can do to plan for them or hunt them down specifically. So...what do you do about them? Nothing, you assume there isn't one and go with looking for something you CAN hunt down, like scum or an SK. Maybe I'm having a lack of imagination here, but I certainly can't think of any ways to specifically look for roles like Kilgas aside from looking for Generic Scumtells. Which means you may as well call him Scum and not bother with the "what about a Third Party?" debates at all.

On Sanities: Okay, this is where I slide away from Alex's viewpoint. Alex, this is the DL. Games here are a bit role happy as a rule and we have seen alot of odd sanities. They might be So Rare As To Not Be Worth Consideration in other forums, but not this one, man. You need to underdstand the environment you're playing in and adapt to it a bit more. Sanities are perfectly valid things to consider here, and while yeah, that does make for alot of potential WIFOM, it's still better then not thinking about it at all.

Now as for another note(also about Alex. I'm talking about him so much you'd think this was a Mafia Game post or something):

The adapting style was very much noted in the beginning and was an excellent change of pace. You shied away from lynching Delta and Cid and it proved to be a good move. Keep adapting in that direction and I think things will go alot more smoothly.

Just, dude, the "I Hate This Game And Everyone In It" attitude near the end of the game there was...uh...yeah, bad. You being one of the big proponents of "Don't Take This Personally It Is A Game", I have to turn that back on you and say not to take setups you disagree with as personal attacks. If other people need to not get worked up over the social stuff, you need to not get worked up over the mechanical stuff. If you see something you think is imbalanced, like in this game, just play through it and explain why you think it was bad in the aftergame discussion. Maybe mention it in the topic, but don't get all THE WORLD IS OVER about it like you did this time, alright? I do understand the frustration, but reacting to it like that is only going to cause people to NOT listen to you out of frustration with *you*.

And on THAT note:

Excal. Chill out. Checking in from Team Passive Agressive Pansy myself(are we still allowed to use those terms?), I do tend to agree with some of your points, which I think I've mentioned which ones I do and don't agree with above. But the tone you presented them in? The tone made me want to completely disagree with you on sheer kneejerk against that kind of attitude. Like I just said, I get frustration, but dude, that was a little much there.

And now for a random note to:

Kilga: Dude, I love reading other mafia games but usually can't because of the sheer "Wall Of Words, 20th Level Caster" thing. That's why I, as a spectator, liked this game so much. I highly recommend mafia spectating to those who don't feel like playing, especially if we'll be keeping to the Succinct Mafia rule from now on.
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

Bardiche

« Reply #402 on: September 07, 2008, 04:51:54 AM »
For Geass Mafia, just askin' - would you folk prefer I add a succinct clause to it? Would that inspire you to join it?

Ranmilia

• Poetry Lover
  • Denizen
  • Not a squid!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: September 07, 2008, 05:13:31 AM »
Eh, true enough.

Sanities are certainly worth considering, and not rare at all.  Just in this case... really, why did it matter?  Cop was dead with one completely blind night zero investigation and no very clear breadcrumb about it.  In the lack of any evidence, why float theories like that?

Mechanics hit me hard partially because I'm good friends with Laggy and didn't want to believe he'd pull something like this until it became crystal clear he had, and partially because I did put a lot of work into the start of the game and did well, and knew I did, and honestly felt robbed as it slipped away.  Yeah, we still made it close, but town shouldn't have to be at the mercy of Delta in some weird LYLO when we catch the scum on day 1 and 2.  I felt like I had been tricked into unadvertised role madness and slapped in the face because good play didn't matter for the win.  Actually I still feel that way, and since it's aftergame, it probably bears saying clearly now (as opposed to being overblown for effect in order to make people lynch Kilga instead of me): this setup was complete BS to play in.  

Call me a sore loser if you want, I guess, but... I know we didn't lose, I know town as a whole deserved to win that, and I'm happy with how we played.  I don't even care about the technicality of 'losing' due to the weirdness of Kilga's role, anyway.  The real disappointment to me is that setups keep being made where skill is devalued and winning requires playing totally random guessing games about the role setup, and the players aren't warned of this beforehand.  I thought we'd gotten past that.  Running stuff like this is only going to hurt DL Mafia in the future.

EvilTom

• Dread Thomas
  • Denizen
  • G'day mate
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: September 07, 2008, 08:23:12 AM »
winning requires playing totally random guessing games about the role setup
Town did damn well right up until the point where people decided it was a great idea to throw scumhunting out the window and instead play purely metagame.

I agree with just about all of the aftergame comments in this thread; there's a lot to be learned here.

Word-limit seems to be super-popular, so I'll include that in with Sci-Fi if it will entice more people to join. Please join! I've had the setup checked by about 5 or 6 people from MafiaScum, it'll be good!
This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #405 on: September 07, 2008, 08:35:53 AM »
Laggy is the worst mod evar. Let me stay in chat after death so we could talk about gelato and politics.

In fact scumchat was mostly just me and Laggy talking about politics. <_<
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: September 07, 2008, 05:37:36 PM »
Muppy sez: Mmm...gelato...

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: September 07, 2008, 07:14:46 PM »
Gelato doesn't exist in Oklahoma! It is sad.
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!