Author Topic: Season 51, Week 2 - Quina discovers fear, science and loathing in the kitchen.  (Read 8038 times)

James_xeno

• Dark Force
  • Denizen
  • And ye shall be as gods
    • View Profile
    • My 1up profile page
Re Quina's Auto-Life, the problem is that Quina comes back with piddling HP, so Worker can finish him off with a physical each time. Yeah, Quina can heal, but the healing doesn't stop Crush from killing, so he has to Auto-Life again while Worker kills him for free. Granted, this lets Quina do something on the turns Worker misses, but I don't think those happen too often?
That's where White Wind comes in.
When antelopes cross a river crocodiles will eat some of them, but the majority will still make it through.
Because there are 500 antelope and three crocodiles. Not because the crocodiles are enviornmentalists.

James_xeno

• Dark Force
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • My 1up profile page
Why does Frog Drop being ITD matter when Worker 8 is immune to magic both via Innocent status -and- infinite MDef? Unless Frog Drop is physical, your idea sorta falls flat entirely.

It's neither. Frog Drop = (level * #frogs)

So less W8 is immune to "levels" and /or frogs as well, his little trick doesn't work here.

By this logic, I could say that the part of VP:DS magic damage that's solely based on the attacker's level can hit him. But it's still clearly magic! Frog Drop is in a magic skillset, and also is hit by Silence. FF 9 Silence just really gets the magic skillsets, which probably feels like the strongest proof here, especially since there some pseudomagic like skills in FF 9 that don't get hit by silence.

Silence doesn't matter. Worker 8 has effective magical immunity through nulling a stat used by magic. But that effective magical (stat) immunity doesn't equal actual, true magical immunity. It's only immunity against magic stat based attacks. You're conflating a magical stat immunity with full magic immunity. If Frog Drop was in FFT, it would hit W8 without any issue. That's the way his immunity is setup. Like with his skills, it's nothing more, nothing less.

When antelopes cross a river crocodiles will eat some of them, but the majority will still make it through.
Because there are 500 antelope and three crocodiles. Not because the crocodiles are enviornmentalists.

Dhyerwolf

• Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
So by that logic, would all BoF 1 magic hit him because it's just set damage? Would White Wind work since it's just based on the caster's HP? This is in regards to the auto-Innocent part since Frog Drop would indeed ignore his infinite Mdef.
...into the nightfall.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
Re Quina's Auto-Life, the problem is that Quina comes back with piddling HP, so Worker can finish him off with a physical each time. Yeah, Quina can heal, but the healing doesn't stop Crush from killing, so he has to Auto-Life again while Worker kills him for free. Granted, this lets Quina do something on the turns Worker misses, but I don't think those happen too often?
That's where White Wind comes in.

White Wind healing is really awful. 25% mHP healing by endgame or something sad like that? It's still easy picking for a W8 physical, which is above average damage.

EDIT: Also, way to not notice the whole "Innocent status" thing. Even past the infinite MDef, Worker 8 has a permanent status effect that nulls all magic that hits him. I don't remember if 0 Faith grants him the status or not, but it's mechanically a step beyond infinite MDef, certainly.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 07:14:48 AM by Jo'ou Ranbu »
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Dhyerwolf

• Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
White Wind is just 33% MHP healing (based on the caster's HP), so a it's little better! It's thing in game is MT healing during a short period when you don't really have any solid healer.
...into the nightfall.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
Ah, yes, Gulg Volcano. I stab at thee, memories of youth.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Dhyerwolf

• Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
I actually meant Cleyra's base, but I suppose Gurgu Volcano works too since your healer is still unsteady then.
...into the nightfall.

• Suggests the birth of an abomination
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Godlike

Malik Bendict (WA3) vs. Edgar Roni Figaro (FF6) This is pretty clear-cut to me.  Perfect PEvade, Chaos Disorder...just in general.

Heavy

Arnaud G. Vasquez (WA4) vs. Guy (FE7) - Yeah, uh, Guy vs. Arnaud evade.  That's before Shut Out.

Middle

Domingo (SF1) vs. Cid Highwind (FF7) - Can probably avoid a limit.  Most FF7 characters in the DL are "meh" at best.  Cid's no exception.
Katt (BoF2) vs. Kyra Tierny (PS4) - Katt really wishes she had shamanization here.  Warla, Telele, and near-limitless healing equate some sort of stupidly sick rape.

Light

Roger S. Huxley (SO3) vs. Rufus Shinra (FF7) - I never even USED Roger, and I can tell he's better than Rufus.  Who completely blows without scaling, even.
<+Nama-EmblemOfFire> ...Have the GhebFE guy and the ostian princess guy collaborate.
 <@Elecman> Seems reasonable.

Ayra

• Denizen
    • View Profile
I'll just admit that after having nominated my favorite character Katt for so many weeks, I'm awfully sad that she'll get destroyed that badly :(
So many games, so little time...

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
In credit to the BoF1 Magic Argument, it DOES hit magic defense in game, just BoF1 has a really screwed up Magic Defense system (Magic Defense only applies when you use Defend and/or Shield, where the damage reduction is affected by the character's Magic Defense score.)

Though, I think an odd parallel to this scenario, odd cause the series is so fucked up in this regard, is SMT Null Magic.

I seem to recall that Null/Reflect/Absorb Magic in Persona 2 hits many Set Damage Moves like Heiros Glupaine, cause they are technically magical, yet they ignore magic defense and what not, or heck, the character's stats in general.  However, it still rams into Magic Immunity.  Why should Frog Drop vs. Worker 8's Magic Immunity be any different?
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Yoshiken

• Denizen
  • Yay!
    • View Profile
Because Frog Drop isn't magic-based -or- physical-based, as far as I know.
This goes back to the argument about the naming of moves - Silence blocks the "Blue Magic" command, which also contains attacks that are physical-based. Arguing that it's magic based solely around the naming of it is completely pointless, as that doesn't actually give anything other than a category for the attack, not how it actually works.

Seems there's no specific way to determine if it's physical or magical, so I guess that's open to interpretation.
Judging from my most recent finding, though, I'm gonna have to say that it does look like Quina loses - Goblin Punch is based on Magic in FFIX, not Attack. If that's not physical, I highly doubt Frog Drop or Limit Glove are.

alanna82

• Denizen
    • View Profile
Actually I'm pretty sure worker 8 can be hit by Rafa's truth skills, which ignore faith. (I remember using it on an enemy with Worker 8 in the area and worker died because it was the lightning one). Rafa's truth damage is MAGIC based and ignores all MDEF (faith).  I'd say Frog Drop is something similar.

Dhyerwolf

• Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
I don't think Rafa's skills are Silence-able though.
...into the nightfall.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Rafa's skills are the same as breath attacks. They're very explicitly not magical.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
Rafa's skills are the same as breath attacks. They're very explicitly not magical.

BMG lists them as magical and they use MA in the formula.  I think they get hit by Magic DefendUP as well, but unsure about that.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
I'll just admit that after having nominated my favorite character Katt for so many weeks, I'm awfully sad that she'll get destroyed that badly :(

Yeah, but don't feel too bad, at least Katt's losing to someone -good- and not being robbed. Kyra's really more of a Low Heavy, while Katt's an average Middle. She'll get another chance!

That's an interesting note about BoF MDEF, though. It kind of makes sense, in a 'story' way. I mean, just how many people have any kind of 'natural' defense against magic? I can buy it from elves or gods or demons maybe, but normal mortals and humans should be pretty squishy to it. The idea that their 'natural tolerance' to magic is only noticeable when someone has used a magical shield on them makes sense to me.

I mean, even a giant wave of fire comes roaring at you and your only defense is the thickness of your skin... that's not doing much. Those barriers/force shields seem pretty vital for mortals facing magical attack.

Of course, too much reality makes for boring gameplay, and I can see why more recent games have moved away from the BoF model of MDEF (and I approve).

-Djinn

James_xeno

• Dark Force
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • My 1up profile page
So by that logic, would all BoF 1 magic hit him because it's just set damage? Would White Wind work since it's just based on the caster's HP? This is in regards to the auto-Innocent part since Frog Drop would indeed ignore his infinite Mdef.

1. BoF 1 has magic defense. (see Meeplelard's post)

2. BoF 1's magic hits MD (see 1 ^) and is not ITD. Frog Drop hits no defense and is ITD.

EDIT: Also, way to not notice the whole "Innocent status" thing. Even past the infinite MDef, Worker 8 has a permanent status effect that nulls all magic that hits him. I don't remember if 0 Faith grants him the status or not, but it's mechanically a step beyond infinite MDef, certainly.

Infinite MDef against what?? Frog Drop doesn't hit magic defense!   "_ minus infinity" ?!?

Seems there's no specific way to determine if it's physical or magical, so I guess that's open to interpretation.
Judging from my most recent finding, though, I'm gonna have to say that it does look like Quina loses - Goblin Punch is based on Magic in FFIX, not Attack. If that's not physical, I highly doubt Frog Drop or Limit Glove are.

What do you mean? Frog Drop is in no way based on magic, offensive or defensive.

I don't think Rafa's skills are Silence-able though.

Not true. Silence works on Truth just like the others.

[Silence]

Description:  Character cannot use Silence-flagged magic or TALK SKILL.
Specifically, the following attacks are disabled (the name of a skillset
means that the entire skillset is disabled by Silence)
:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
WHITE MAGIC      TRUTH           Deathspell 2   All-ultima
BLACK MAGIC      UN-TRUTH        MBarrier       Mute
TIME MAGIC       BIO             Melt           Despair 2
YIN-YANG MAGIC   JA MAGIC        Tornado        Return 2
SUMMON MAGIC     Ultima (09A)    Quake          Death Sentence (0EA)
TALK SKILL       Dark Holy       Ultima (0E5)   Midgar Swarm
------------------------------------------------------------------------

So much for the "Silence > Blue Magic = immunity" and "Uber magic immunity" arguments.

No. They are both magical, but are not based on faith in their damage formula. (hit MA only.. something Frog Drop doesn't even do)

Truth damage = [(MA + spell power) / 2] * MA

Breath damage = MA * spell power

ThePiggyman

• Denizen
  • The Lonely People (Are Getting Lonelier)
    • View Profile
Can Frog Drop be reflected? I don't think so, but if it could, that would seal my opinion on it as Magic. And if Frog Drop can indeed be classified as "magic", then I would see Worker 8 as anulling it.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2009, 05:34:48 AM by ThePiggyman »
Quote from: DjinnAndTonic
Quote from: OblivionKnight
if you believe in being a GOOD PERSON

If we believed in that, we wouldn't be forcing world-saving hero to fight eachother to the death for our amusement.