Author Topic: Animafia - Game Over, Man, Game Over  (Read 28972 times)

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
Re: Animafia - Day 4 LYLO! (Special Spectator Request Inside!)
« Reply #200 on: September 17, 2009, 01:55:39 AM »
Huh, wish I could honestly say I was surprised scum won, but, well.  Mad props, Jack.  You earned this one.

Magetastic

• Denizen
  • Cooler than you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: September 17, 2009, 01:59:56 AM »
Life interferes with games of mafia far too much.

Props to Jack.
<%King_Meepdorah> roll 1d999 for "It was beauty...that killed the mage"?
* +Hatbot --> "King_Meepdorah rolls 1d999 for "It was beauty...that killed the mage"? and gets 999."12 [1d999=999]
<%King_Meepdorah> ...
<+superaway> ...Uh oh.
<+RandomConsonant> ...
* +superaway shakes head.

Kilgamayan

• Celluloid Hero
  • Denizen
  • Never feels any pain, never really dies
    • View Profile
    • This is the state to which I have been reduced.
« Reply #202 on: September 17, 2009, 02:43:11 AM »
DL Mainstays

Coop Cooplowski, Megas XLR - Glen Veil
Count Jard Dooku, Star Wars: The Clone Wars - Bardiche
Hank Hill, King of the Hill - Magetastic

Samurai Jack, Samurai Jack - Xanth (Surprise! AnonyScumXanth wins again!)
Buzz Lightyear, Toy Story - EvilTom
Bender Rodriguez, Futurama - Deltaflyer
Shaggy Rogers, Scooby-Doo - Alice Margatroid/OblivionKnight

Filbert Shellbache, Rocko's Modern Life - Excal
Jay Sherman, The Critic - Hunter Sopko
Haruhi Suzumiya, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya - SirAlex
(Ciato ruined the fun on this one by admitting she wasn't playing, as multiple people thought it was her before that revelation)

MotK Folks

Sergeant Mike Cosgrove, Freakazoid - Zakeri (Only two guesses, one said Strago, one said Smodge)
Denzel Crocker, The Fairly OddParents - Kerigis (Lone guess said Bardiche)
Sylvester J. Pussycat, Looney Tunes - Roukanken (People were all over the place here: one guess each for Alex, Mage, Bardiche, Kiro, and Serpentarius (another MotKer))

Excal: 0/3
Tom: 4/8 (He sent his guesses in on Night 1 - I have no idea how he did this well)
Xanth: 1/10
SnowFire: 4/7
Alex: 2/3
Bard: 1/2
Joe Rambo: 1/1
Kiro: 0/13 D:

Night 1

Scum kill: Haruhi
Scum roleblock: Dooku (Failed, vanilla)
Scum rolecop: Hank (Result: Town Bulletproof)

Tracker target: Cosgrove (Result: None)

Night 2

Scum kill: Cosgrove (Jack)
Scum roleblock: Sylvester (Success)

Tracker target: Filburt (Blocked!)

Night 3

Scum kill: Sylvester

Tracker target: Hank Hill (Killed!)

Excal and Xanth correctly guessed on Day 1 that Roukanken was an active power role and the only reason they didn't kill him (even thinking he was Alex at the time!) was because of how frightening the real Alex was. The best part of this was pre-game in the scum chat:

[13:39:45] <Xanth> Oh, and I'm totally calling NK1 Haruhi Suzumiya, by the way.
[13:40:08] <Xanth> By which I mean sure, we'll actually do something sensible, but that's my prediction for who I'll want dead.
[13:40:25] <Xanth> Being the role I both like and expect to be done badly.
[13:41:27] <Xanth> Oh.
[13:41:28] <Xanth> There we go.
[13:41:30] <Xanth> Speak of the devil.
[13:42:19] <Xanth> Not only confirming directly in the thread, but urge to kill rising from one word alone.

Scum had a Rolecop, Roleblocker and Vanilla Goon. Town has a BP, a Tracker and a One-Shot Vig, as you might have guessed from the flips. The BP was rendered immediately ineffectual, of course, thanks to the rolecop.

Credit to Xanth for hanging in there in the face of overwhelming apathy. Credit to Alex for making this game worth watching. Credit to Roukanken for a pretty impressive performance, even in this environment. I felt very proud reading the guesses people submitted for you, as well as scum's paranoia over you in the scum chat.

I have nothing else to say - the game speaks for itself.

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Kilgamayan

• Celluloid Hero
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: Animafia - Game Over, Man, Game Over
« Reply #203 on: September 17, 2009, 02:47:55 AM »
Oh, I suppose I should credit everyone for some fine roleplaying, too. As much as there was.

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

EvilTom

• Dread Thomas
  • Denizen
  • G'day mate
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: September 17, 2009, 03:21:30 AM »
Excal: 0/3
Tom: 4/8 (He sent his guesses in on Night 1 - I have no idea how he did this well)
Xanth: 1/10
SnowFire: 4/7
Alex: 2/3
Bard: 1/2
Joe Rambo: 1/1
Kiro: 0/13 D:
At least I can claim being awesome at something this game!
This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: September 17, 2009, 03:54:36 AM »
Bwahaha to OK as Shaggy. Makes too much sense.
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: September 17, 2009, 03:56:23 AM »
Oh, and BRAVO to Xanth. You are fabulous at being scum. (Scawy.)
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: September 17, 2009, 04:15:38 AM »
Nice.  Agree with handing lots of credit to Xanth (who was really obviously the one playing Jack).  I think scum wins tend to be one of two types: scum perfect the game as town gets ensnared in massive town-town disputes, or else one scum hides as a perfect townie and solos while bussing his teammates.  In a game like this, with lots of extremely lynchable targets...  yeah, simply being a good townie with established credentials from bussing Crocker on Day 2 is a really solid defense.  The little recap of everyone's interactions with scum on the last day was an especially nice touch.  Sadly for Evil Jack I suspect that Haruhi is just going to reboot the world because this one clearly sucks, but so it goes.  At least as a time travelling samurai his odds of survival in the new world are pretty good.

Setup does seem to favor scum a bit?  Tracker's a pretty unreliable power role and both blocker and rolecop were useful for scum.  Though obviously Town had bigger problems this game regardless with the modkills meaning fewer lynches to get information from.

And as usual, tip o' the hat to Haruhi.  Sylvester's anti-lisping pills from ACME as a reward for years as a loyal customer was also pretty dang funny in the role-playing category.

Zakeri

• New User
  • Blue Rose
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: September 17, 2009, 05:16:15 AM »
I'm very bad with Meta, which is why I never bothered with sending in guesses. Heck, I'm more likely to vote for people who try to have scummy metas.

I wish I was half as good at this as Roukanken is. Why was I nightkilled? Also, out of all of the MotKers here, I thought Kiro was the only other one to sign up :<

Magetastic

• Denizen
  • Cooler than you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: September 17, 2009, 05:19:12 AM »
Just wanted to give some props to Soppy for playing Jay.
<%King_Meepdorah> roll 1d999 for "It was beauty...that killed the mage"?
* +Hatbot --> "King_Meepdorah rolls 1d999 for "It was beauty...that killed the mage"? and gets 999."12 [1d999=999]
<%King_Meepdorah> ...
<+superaway> ...Uh oh.
<+RandomConsonant> ...
* +superaway shakes head.

Bardiche

« Reply #210 on: September 17, 2009, 07:29:10 AM »
Yeah, near the end of it I was like, "fuckit I want the game to mooooooooooove" and initially wanted to vote Jack, but then I found the entire OMG YOU ARE LYING DOOKU and everything and I coin tossed.

:( Man, I suck at endgame.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: September 17, 2009, 09:51:46 AM »
Yeah, sorry about that. I was really into it too, but I just kinda got sick and fell into one of my worst sleeping patterns, so my brain was just utterly fried for a long period of time after Day 1. Tried my best though, as I freaking love the Critic.

I was sad that Excal seemed to never have seen Rocko's Modern Life though.

Xanth

• Denizen
  • Girls go on dates on Valentine's Day?
    • View Profile
Palmtop Rubbish Calculator
« Reply #212 on: September 17, 2009, 10:01:37 AM »
Wall of text for the scum point of view for those who care.

Funnily enough, I cocked my game plan up horribly and only felt comfortable acting as scummy as I did by filtering in a ton of misdirection. I would've had to play completely differently if not for the mass inactivity. Apologies to Excal/Filburt for repeatedly getting in his way.

My general plan from the start was to be a town leader with just enough suspicion against him that it wouldn't turn heads that I'd still be alive, but not enough suspicion to get copped (or, in this case, tracked - practically the same thing when you're the goon on the kill). This almost worked day 1, but only Dooku took my bait and then made a terrible case out of it. Day 1 was looking fine for us in general with a few potential lynches and the low activity making it a total crapshoot (and harder to draw anything on day 2) until Haruhi hit. She shot herself in the foot somewhat by setting up this irritating and useless persona from the first few posts, as that stopped a bunch of people from reading into the incisiveness that then flowed, because Crocker fell right into that trap but only scumFilburt backed her up on that. But hey, distraction arrives in the form of Buzz, lead the wagon, collect lynch. I tend to act a little bit oddly at times like just before lynching town because it seems to throw some people's scumdars way off.

For night 1, we spent ages deliberating the pros and cons of various plans, in that we really needed Haruhi dead but were wondering whether the doctor would have seen through the veil and saw how important she was or just thought she was a bit of a nuisance. We knew that Sylvester had an active role and so was the other choice for that night kill, but decided that Haruhi was just too dangerous and that it was worth taking a risk (with the bonus that she liked me at her time of death, in case people did start reading into her thoughts deeply). Dooku was then roleblocked just in case he was the cop and went for me (as Sylvester, as much as he looked most likely to be cop, was far more likely to blow it on town), and Hank rolecopped on account of being another prominent town figure who'd probably be in for a while. Sylvester was then the plan for NK2 for obvious reasons.

I knew we were killing the star of the game, but a huge sigh of relief went around as Haruhi's kill was confirmed as day 2 started. I jumped on Crocker immediately as I was sure that someone re-reading Haruhi's case on him would pick that up, but that paranoia was a terrible screw up as I'd forgotten that Filburt had been on him yesterday and would then need an excuse to vote elsewhere, which he did by reading too much into Coop's slip up. The day 2 plan hadn't been to bus Crocker at all - it had been to address the case against him in a controlled environment and defuse the charges, eventually moving elsewhere as another distraction showed up. Trouble was, Crocker only managed to dig his hole deeper and I had no chance to get off of him, and the inactivity eventually just led it down one path. A lot of my paranoid long term plans involved having rolecop for two nights, so I got back to pointless levels of despair at that point.

For night 2 the kill basically had to come from the Crocker train as the obvious angle to push is that people on it were highly likely to be innocent and wanted the kill to highlight this more so. As the choices were me, the bulletproof, Cosgrove and Dooku, it was between the latter two. Cosgrove had been absent for ages but had returned and was showing signs of being very competent, with bonus points that he'd only observed half of the players and that the kill could look like rolefishing (not that anyone reads much into night kills, I know). Again, felt bad that we were snuffing activity from town, but that's kind of what we're supposed to do. Oh, and because Sylvester escaped the night kill again, he got the role block this time.

Day 3 was basically the time to cash in lurker points and polish my unintentional bussing for all that it was worth now that it had happened. The entire day revolved around Coop and Bender, with a side of Shaggy, which I was perfectly happy for it to do knowing that they were all town. Threw in some suspicion on Sylvester in the meantime just to make it look like I was actually trying and not just following the easy cases, but it's not like it stopped most other players. Obviously I didn't know that Bender was going to get modkilled, but I didn't know until late in day 3 that Filburt was going either (Excal had been having connection problems earlier, but didn't expect them to last so long), so I had been trying to work out my end game strategy on an expectation of five days, not four. In any case, even with Bender's modkill no one seemed to care much about non-lurkers, so Coop was just stuck there by the end.

Night 3 left me with another bucket load of worry, as the natural NK would have been Dooku (Crocker train but not bulletproof - else Hank would have been top to go), but unless Sylvester copped (still thought he was cop) my night kill we'd be hitting LYLO with too much information on the table, whereas the problem with killing Sylvester is that it only left one real lynch target - Shaggy - which I felt was far more likely to make people scratch their heads and look at me than if there had been two targets to argue over. The tipping factor was that I was still scared of a doctor (I'd been pretty confident that Bender was the doctor based on his actions, but that theory had just been shot out), and that while they may protect Dooku, they were very unlikely to protect Sylvester, so that's the way I went.

My initial plan for day 4 was to turn the one target situation into a two target one - misdirect Shaggy into voting for Dooku, see which way Hank fell and then follow him, although after putting my strength behind the Shaggy case just to keep safe-footed. Then after nothing followed we hit the plan of modkilling Shaggy without the game ending, which buggered me up a ton, but decided I may as well play on hard mode and get a lynch from the Crocker train that wasn't me, so made sure that I looked like I was munching the situation for town's benefit the most. I also felt okay about that by then anyhow, as Dooku and Hank had already had a spat, and I was sure that the poison I'd been leaking about Dooku would be enough to get Hank to vote for him over me. The most obviously stupid thing I had to do was support Dooku's Crocker vote alibi, not because it reduced my potential targets, but because I'd been so heavy-handed in painting that train as purely innocent to keep attention away from me that I'd completely failed to spot that yeah, it would have been a really simple scumDooku move in that position, and I somehow had to be consistent on that, but felt it read absolutely terribly. Also managed to get away with the fact that Crocker had spent the entirety of day 1 and most of day 2 buddying up to both me and Filburt, and some of the weird interaction between me and Filburt by shuffling it away behind the far more conspicuous Crocker-Dooku pairing, and no one really checked up on what I was saying. I didn't expect Dooku to crack and vote for Hank - it was the reverse vote that I'd spent ages working on so I would have been fine if Dooku had voted for me instead (if still suffering from a constant panic attack in the interim) - but hey, a win's a win.

Apologies to the active part of town - the complete lack of activity was terrible for all of us. Condolences to Kilga, who did absolutely nothing wrong with the set up to deserve this.

Mage: other than your later disappearance, well done, you seemed to play a whole lot better this time. As noted during the game, you could do with leading a bit more and following a little less, but admittedly this time your one case starter was against town and sticking to your guns in following my day 2 case netted scum, so who knows.

Zakeri: your day 2 insight made it look like you were going to have a scary day 3 where you either got us or would have thrown us a lot closer to lynching. You might not think so, but it was basically simply because you were the scariest looking townie from scum's perspective.

Alex: sorry man, sorry. Just wish we could have got away with not killing you.

OblivionKnight

• Boom! Big reveal: I'm a pickle. What do you think about that?
  • Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: September 17, 2009, 12:21:04 PM »
Bwahaha to OK as Shaggy. Makes too much sense.

Really?  Does it?  How so?

So yeah...I really have been in the mood to play recently, so when Shaggy disappeared, I figured I'd be good to go in to it.  And I actually have free time, so it was doable.  Unfortunately, as alluded to, I did have something pop up family-wise I had to rush out and take care of this past weekend.  I had left when it was dead quiet and Night 3 was still on for >24 hours.  Unfortunately, it was Monday when I finally got a chance to check back in.  I wanted to get back in, but...man.  Kind of hard to concentrate when your girlfriend is robbed (thankfully, nothing major - they took her purse, which was empty at the time, and nothing else - it's still traumatizing), your aunt and uncle get divorced (requiring you to go home to help with something as an independent family member, since no one else is around!), and your grandmother is hospitalized from a fainting spell because of said divorce and may need a hip replacement.  Faaaaaaabluous weekend, that I am thankful is over (and taken care of, finally - lasted less time than I thought it would).  I asked Kilga to kill me off, since I just couldn't concentrate on the game, and figured I'd explode or something and fuck town over.  Since I was probably top on the chopping block, this worked out best, I think - gave town a 1/3 chance to kill scum, which was better than 1/4.  Still hated doing it, and am completely, completely sorry about the end of that.

That said...I prefer the anonymous set-ups.  Game...was hurt by inactivity, which I agree was sucky, but I was also a part of near the end, so...yeah.

I...would not have guessed Jack was scum...very well-played.  I was edging on Hank myself.  Not really sure if I can talk about how I played, due to the nature of the game.  I really did believe Coop was scum, and figured on Filburt myself, actually (who thankfully(?) modkilled anyway), then Hank.  But damn...nice job Jack.  

Also, great job Kilga - definitely a very good first Mafia for you. >_>

...bleh, I feel like I should comment on my playing and overall playing, but outside of Jack (and Sylvester - great job on your end too) having done awesome and people not being around much, I don't have much to say.  
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 12:23:48 PM by OblivionKnight »
[11:53] <+Meeple_Gorath> me reading, that's a good one

[19:26] * +Terra_Condor looks up. Star Wars Football, what?
[19:27] <+Terra_Condor> Han Kicks First?
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Vader intercepts.
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Touchdown and Alderaan explodes in the victory

Tonfa

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: September 17, 2009, 04:58:24 PM »
Also, great job Kilga - definitely a very good first Mafia for you. >_>

So that game is now officially non-canon? Fair enough.
<Niu> If I ever see that Langfadood, i'll strangle him on sight
<Gourry> What, for making the game three times better?
<Gourry> And playable, at that?
<Niu> that lose the whole point of of L2!!!

Kilgamayan

• Celluloid Hero
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: September 17, 2009, 05:19:38 PM »
What game? <_<

Kiro

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: September 17, 2009, 05:35:52 PM »
0/13 guesses. Derp.

The roleplaying was pretty fun to read throughout the game. Didn't follow the arguments as much, but Jack/Xanth definitely looked like a committed player which certainly kept him alive in a game full of modkills. I thought Sylvester's/Rou's lisp was great; I can't imagine trying to type up all that, but in retrospect, you would indeed be creative enough to do all that. The Haruhi was extreme so I imagined it'd be a naturally crazy player, but I underestimated a relatively sane player going crazy.

I thought Tom wouldn't play this game because he's waiting for people for TF2. *shrug*

Yoshiken

• Denizen
  • Yay!
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: September 18, 2009, 02:13:00 PM »
Just read through the last little section I'd missed and the post-game. Maaan. Xanth, that was some epic play. I'd've never seen scumJack from the parts I read. Reading the scum gameplan there, I can definitely see where it came from, but it's amazing seeing how much the scum plan changed to consider the modkills. Still, nicely played to all of you, congrats. ;p

Also, want to congratulate Alex and Rou for brilliant posting styles, and Bard, Keri and Xanth for amazing roleplaying (at least early-game, for the latter two.)
And OK as Shaggy -does- work scarily well, although I'm not really sure why. XD

What with the activity here, a Town win would have been a miracle, but the game did seem a little unbalanced. I think it's mostly the combination of Rolecop and Roleblocker effectively eliminating two players per night for every night past the first.

Bardiche

« Reply #218 on: September 18, 2009, 02:17:39 PM »
I'd never even heard of Dooku before this game began. >>;

I don't think the double-scum powerrole was too overpowering. It made Jack paranoid we actually had something worthwhile among our ranks.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: September 18, 2009, 03:09:32 PM »
Using the crappy Lucas version of Dooku and not the awesome Tartovsky version was sacriledge.

Shale

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: September 18, 2009, 03:19:14 PM »
Yes, Mr. Sherman. Everything stinks.
"Sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology."
-Ponder Stibbons

[23:02] <Veryslightlymad> CK dreams about me starring in porno?
[23:02] <CmdrKing> Pretty sure.

Bardiche

« Reply #221 on: September 18, 2009, 04:05:32 PM »
Using the crappy Lucas version of Dooku and not the awesome Tartovsky version was sacriledge.

Blame Kilga!

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: September 18, 2009, 04:39:14 PM »
Yes, Mr. Sherman. Everything stinks.

Yeaaaah. I was psyched about playing Sherman too. I put a lot of love into those few posts. But by the next day I was so sick and mindfried that I could barely even follow a post, let alone roleplay.

Kilgamayan

• Celluloid Hero
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: September 18, 2009, 07:19:13 PM »
I don't think the double-scum powerrole was too overpowering. It made Jack paranoid we actually had something worthwhile among our ranks.

You had two worthwhile things in your ranks! It's just that one got themselves lynched D1 and the other made themselves a roleblock magnet.

Xanth was constantly shitripped about the possibility of a doc, though.

Roukanken

• Oh hey look I finally have an avatar
  • Denizen
  • About damn time, too.
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: September 20, 2009, 01:14:44 PM »
Tho wait, can I thtop now? It'th over?

About time. That lisp takes an age to actually write. -_-;

So yeah, I don't really understand why I'm getting applauded given that, as usual, I was on every wrong lynch. I jumped between Buzz and Haruhi Day 1, then stuck on Bender Days 2 and 3. In LYLO I doubt I'd have been any more helpful, since Jack was the one person I genuinely trusted. (On that note, congrats to Xanth for playing amazingly. Never would have guessed.)

But yeah, at least I got the lisp down. >_>

Shaggy Rogers, Scooby-Doo - Alice Margatroid/OblivionKnight

[16:34] <Shoukan> Can I ask you one last question?
[16:34] <bofh> Sure?
[16:34] <Shoukan> You weren't the first Shaggy in Animafia, were you?
[16:34] <bofh> Nope.
[16:34] <Shoukan> Because you both went inactive around the same time. >_>
[16:34] <Shoukan> Never mind.

YOU LIAR. T_T
<@Tanaka> You just have this aura in mafia that reminds me of a big eyed cute innocent puppy