Register

Author Topic: DL Playership/Ranking Drive 2009  (Read 20689 times)

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
Re: DL Playership/Ranking Drive 2009
« Reply #200 on: December 17, 2009, 01:16:56 AM »
Please note, Squad-based SRPG is NOT Real Time Strategy.

I thought that might be what you were talking about not liking in OB.

Soul Nomad's battles are SRPG-style grid-based movement with turn-based phases. You're just moving around small army units like chess pieces. It's really a singular experience. There might be another game that plays it that way, but I can't think of one. 

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: December 17, 2009, 01:25:35 AM »
Yeah, it has the normal SPRG/Disgaea thing but you just get to arrange your team. Bahamut Lagoon is the closest I can think to it. Much more like BL than OB really.
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: December 17, 2009, 04:20:26 AM »
Just want to make a quick comment on Blue Dragon:

While the game is nowhere near rankable in terms of playership (its waaaaay off there; not impossible, but doesn't seem likely), I would like to note that despite the FF5 style Job System, it is rankable in that regard, since all PCs have an initial class, and they all different.  Its like X-2 in that regard; every PC starts with a generic class, but they all differ, so they can be allowed that much.

That said, this is all 100% useless cause Blue Dragon is nowhere near ready and possibly never will be.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Pyro

• Denizen
  • Mwahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: December 17, 2009, 05:01:01 AM »
Meep, Blue Dragon actually has a stat topic done already. Check it out sometime.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #204 on: December 17, 2009, 05:42:26 AM »
It already has that specific stat topic done, in fact.

alanna82

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: December 27, 2009, 11:53:23 PM »
oh okay, The squad based part is fine, its RTS games I dont like. If its not RTS I may try it then.

Sir Donald 3.2

• Wanting some Kingdom conquering
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: December 29, 2009, 01:58:23 AM »
I know that the Poke talk has died down, but here is my list:

Boss Signatures: 
Gym Leaders: Onix, Starmie, Raichu, Venomoth (Appears in both Koga's Yellow and Janine's rosters), Alakazam, Rapidash, Rhydon
Elite 4:  Lapras, Machamp, Gengar, Dragonite
Gary *swearword* Oak!: Exeggutor, Arcanine, Gyarados

Gen 1 near-mandatories that aren't covered by the above: Snorlax, Aerodactyl
(the other 2 fossils are path-split but Aero can be obtained easily enough; Lapras would also have been included were it not Lorelei's Signature Pokemon.  Snorlax is also on Red's team in GSC and HG/SS) With Lapras replacing Espeon in the latter
Given that 3 of the 4 "Trade-Onlys" are part of the GL/Elite list, I'll go ahead and add Golem.  But not as a replacement for Onix.  Onix is in because of Brock.

You will notice that there is no Grass-type Pokemon among the GLs.  That is because while Brock still has Onix even in his Heart Gold/Soul Silver After-Game Rematch and Giovanni doesn't use Rhydon, Erika's Tangela evolves into a Tangrowth for the HG/SS AG Rematch, and so would be lumped in with Gen 4 Pokemon.    (I had heard a rumor that Garchomp was banned from Official Tournaments, but its Bulbapedia entry did not refer to such a ban.  If such a ban is in place, I would put it at the head of the Gen 4 list)

Next up:  What about Final Fantasy 4: The After Years?  I know it's a Wii game but between being a continuation and being on WiiWare instead of a disc, I'd say it's the Wii game most likely to be added.  It's a better pick than DPPt, which will probably be shoveled off with Felix, Jenna, Sheba, and Piers.

The likelyhood of ranking for FF4:TAY will influence whether I buy it next week (to finish in time for ranking) or just wait for my B-Day in February (where I'll definitely finish it before the next ranking in June).

Pyro

• Denizen
  • Mwahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: December 29, 2009, 02:35:04 AM »
I don't think many people here would be interested in playing FF4AY. If for the sole fact that we have heard enough about how horrid it is.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: December 29, 2009, 02:05:52 PM »
I don't think many people here would be interested in playing FF4AY. If for the sole fact that we have heard enough about how horrid it is.

How can you say that? It's continuing the classic and timeless story of FF4. How could it be that bad?

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: December 30, 2009, 01:26:19 PM »
FF4TAY also has this issue of being a $37 Wiiware game and it was released episodically for a while (albeit, less retardedly than in Japan, as from what I understand, they combined multiple chapters into bigger ones for the US release, so its like 5 chapters or so instead of 12.)

You can ask Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn or Tales of Symphonia 2 how much of an advantage "Wii only" is <_<
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

dude789

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: December 30, 2009, 08:54:53 PM »
Speaking of Radiant Dawn, what do you guys think of ranking Elincia as a FW. I think the main reason that we waited for her was we thought Radiant Dawn would have more players than it has now. Since it looks like Radiant Dawn won't be getting in for a while I think it would be best to put Elincia in now.

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #211 on: December 31, 2009, 04:01:40 AM »
The issue is more that she's so much better in FE10 than anything else.  As such, I'd still be opposed to ranking "Elincia (FE9)" since in general I tend to vote on stronger forms (although I forget at times, such as various chaos matches post-XS3).  That said, I feel like FE10 could be made to work if we could set up a system for the loaning of Wiis somehow, since based on what we saw here, most of the non-players are also non-Wii owners and are still largely interested in the game despite this.  I'm just not sure how to go about this yet, so I haven't commented on the game much.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Sir Donald 3.2

• Wanting some Kingdom conquering
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: December 31, 2009, 04:52:15 PM »
Darn those gil-grubbers at Square-Enix!  Baiting the populace with an $8 base game, a separate $8 final game and multiple $3 scenarios!  How is that different from Telltale's policy of 5 X $10?  (Answer: At least Telltale is honest about it.)

From the original list on the Wii Shop page, it just seemed like the Perfect Storm of Storyline Extension+Low Cost on a newer system, which would've provided a good test of said system.  I wouldn't have made the suggestion if I knew it was a full-priced game.  (At least I haven't bought it yet...  now I know not to ask for it for my B-Day... and ask for points instead...)