Author Topic: The DL does (another) IAQ?  (Read 3393 times)

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
The DL does (another) IAQ?
« on: January 11, 2010, 03:59:32 AM »
Seeing OK mention it on the main site topic inspired me to broach this idea once again. We tried this a while back and, although it didn't really go too far, I do seem to recall the people involved having a good time. So I was curious if people would be interested in trying our hand at one of these again and, if so, how to approach the subject this time around.

For those not familiar, an IAQ is basically an imaginary FAQ/Stat Topic. We create a conceptual game from the ground up, document it out, etc. Just a fun little exercise in game design, without the troubling necessities of things like understanding programming or having artists. That sort of thing. For anyone curious about what the previous project was looking like, take a glance here:

http://www.rpgdl.com/wiki/index.php?title=RPGDL_IAQ

Not sure if the old topic about it exists anywhere anymore.

I was thinking we'd go with a weekly topic for polling a bit to try and establish a basic element of the game (basic style, setting, combat system, etc; one topic a week). Once we've got that, we can start filling in the fun details, characters, statting, plot, etc.

But anyhow, I just wanted to hear if anyone had any actual desire to do something like this or any thoughts on how to approach it if a number of us were interested.

Thoughts? Questions?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 04:12:34 AM by AndrewRogue »

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
Re: The DL does (another) IAQ?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 04:41:34 AM »
Instead of DL members... we could try our hand at designing a big crossover RPG instead?

Think MF6, only let's use something like Suikoden so that we get 108 possible representatives. Or an entirely new game setting, but using large numbers of ranked characters.

I think this would be more interesting to newcomers than fanwanking a game about ourselves... >.>;;

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 04:47:23 AM »
Crossover RPG, self insertion gig, completely new IP... I'm cool with any idea. This'll likely be the very first discussion topic.

Yoshiken

• Denizen
  • Yay!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 12:22:11 PM »
Mm, coming up with ideas for the game that was discussed in Discussion would probably be ideal for newcomers, as well as much more familiar to newcomers if they want to join in. ;o

Bardiche

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2010, 01:58:34 PM »
Why not a Self-Insertion Crossover RPG? Both worlds folded into one.

This goes no further than theorising, riiiiight?

Dark Holy Elf

• Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2010, 03:04:47 PM »
I am strongly, strongly in favour of original characters rather than a crossover or self-insertion type thingy. I like original work a lot more than fanfiction.

Totally in if it's original work - interested in both the plot/character side and the mechanics side. Somewhat in even if not. The last IAQ was a lot of fun even if it didn't go that far.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2010, 03:16:55 PM »
I'd be for it as long as it doesn't have any form of self-insertion at all. I'd probably end up doing art for it, too.

Taishyr

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2010, 03:35:36 PM »
What NEB said, personally. Original characters preferred, but would contribute some even if that isn't where we end up going.

Ultradude

• White Void, Cold Steel, OUCH FUCKING VAMPIRES
  • Denizen
  • I AM THE etc.etc.etc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2010, 03:38:03 PM »
I am strongly, strongly in favour of original characters rather than a crossover or self-insertion type thingy. I like original work a lot more than fanfiction.

Totally in if it's original work - interested in both the plot/character side and the mechanics side. Somewhat in even if not. The last IAQ was a lot of fun even if it didn't go that far.

This.

Except I'd be willing to toss in ideas anyways.
"Turning into bats? Laughable!" says sparkly telepathic Volvo-driving vampire who spent century in high school.

Yoshiken

• Denizen
  • Yay!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2010, 04:00:44 PM »
I... guess I can manage originality, although I'm much more comfortable having a solid character to work from. I can always just steal a generic RPG stereotype, though, so I'd be toadilly up for this.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2010, 05:14:00 PM »
Clearly this is a way to make your work on your D&D 4th edition topic relevant, Andy. ::Nodnod::

Magic Fanatic

• Denizen
  • As if it wasn't already.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2010, 06:10:47 PM »
This sounds totally like fun.

How do we start?

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2010, 08:03:35 PM »
That's something else worth discussing in topic. I was thinking we'd do it as a progressive set of posts. Think weekly challenges or something.

Topic is posted with a subject (say, setting) and a deadline. We spend time arguing/debating/yelling/voting/shouting out random ideas about the subject and, at the end of the period, we determine what won in some arbitrary manner or another. Once we've got a game skeleton, we can open up the clusterfuck topic where we start filling in details. Or hell, we just keep going with subject oriented posts to keep as organized as possible.

As far as where to start goes, I think the basic game concept (setting, basic plot concept, big picture mechanics system) are the first things to work on.

*NODS*

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2010, 10:55:41 PM »
I like that contest thing.  Appeals enough to our geek dominance instincts to keep things going so long as there's someone actually paying attention to what wins and keeps on coming up with challenges.  As for which of the big three named there to start with, I honestly think setting is the least important of the three, since if it matters, it'll be something we want mutable to mechanics and plot concept (probably not in that order).

In fact, mechanics should be done first, since the question of ARPG, SRPG, RPG will determine plot structure to some degree, if only because those three genres have some slight differences in how you interact with the world, and consequently, how information is passed on to you.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2010, 07:01:37 AM »
Makes sense enough to me. So, if people like the idea, I suppose I can post the first one... tomorrow or something if people want? Since I think I agree with Excal, determining what kind of mechanics to use will be our launching point. I think I'll use an in-topic voting thing, so people are free to change their votes/we're free to come up with strange new mechanical structures.

Beyond that, is there a specific forum people would like this in?

Tide

• Malice Tears
  • Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Cacophony of Sorrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2010, 08:07:16 AM »
So basically kinda like the DL DL except everyone works to stop a gigantic evil force tm. and we make up combat rules and what not ala Dungeons and Dragons?

In.

I actually have thought of doing a giant crossover with a bunch of RPG characters and what not (and even have skillsets and mechanics thought of too!) but using original characters is totally fine with me. It will be good old RPing days of way back when.
<napalmman> In Suikoden I, In Chinchirorin, what is it called when you roll three of the same number?
<@Claude> yahtzee

<Dreamboum> Everyone is learning new speedgames!
<Dreamboum> A bright future awaits us gentlemens
<Pitted> I'm learning league of legends
<Dreamboum> go fuck yourself

TranceHime

• Let's have a freaking kid!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • That'll solve ALL our problems!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2010, 09:29:31 AM »
I'm already in another self-insert deal on another forum (and I'm working on a SRW-engine thing I conceptualized based on that self-insert thing) so this seems like it'd be pretty interesting to see how it pans out. I'm perfectly willing to help anyone who needs it if they are going to ask me, but it seems there's already a handful of people better suited to this sort of thing than I am~ So~
19:35:58 (trancehime) there's a specific spot in the game that's for item duping
19:36:14 (Sanae) o.o
19:39:11 (Sanae) I'd love to dupe a second trancehime.

Tonfa

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2010, 09:38:02 AM »
I'd be interested if there was an intention to actually -make- something out of it instead of just leaving it an imaginary system.

Is there?
<Niu> If I ever see that Langfadood, i'll strangle him on sight
<Gourry> What, for making the game three times better?
<Gourry> And playable, at that?
<Niu> that lose the whole point of of L2!!!

Taishyr

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2010, 12:03:01 PM »
I'd be game for trying to make something of it, too.

We have everything except the artists needed, in theory?! (<_< yeah I know shush. And Djinn might be awesome but he's 1/xxxx)

Yoshiken

• Denizen
  • Yay!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2010, 12:59:42 PM »
Actually, as far as digital art goes... I'm not bad with the colour side of things, and I can definitely manage pixels. If this was a basic RPG Maker sort of thing, I could probably, given some time, try to make up quite a bit of the art. ^^

I'd love to see something made of this, but no idea how we'd even start going about it. If that's fine, then all seems awesome to me.

OblivionKnight

• Boom! Big reveal: I'm a pickle. What do you think about that?
  • Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2010, 02:11:37 PM »
Didn't get a chance to make my comments yet:

1) I would HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY suggest this be original.  I think that's the consensus, but I just wanted to be an extra voice on the issue.

2) Appoint someone to head each category (story, mechanics, etc.) so there is a governing body over each category - I think that will help avoid some of the problems with the last one.

3) I like Andy's suggestions about things, so I think, since he initiated it all, he can be in charge of running the overall managerial aspect of things ^_^

4) The old topic is dead, since the old forums are gone.  That means the mechanics stuff is gone, IIRC, but the majority of ideas are still on the wiki.
[11:53] <+Meeple_Gorath> me reading, that's a good one

[19:26] * +Terra_Condor looks up. Star Wars Football, what?
[19:27] <+Terra_Condor> Han Kicks First?
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Vader intercepts.
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Touchdown and Alderaan explodes in the victory

Dark Holy Elf

• Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2010, 05:11:38 PM »
Andy: Discussion forum seems the most appropriate for now. If this ends up being hugely successful it can get its own subforum.

re making this for real: If it's at all practical (which basically means we'd need people who are willing to make a serious effort on art, music, and code, which all draw on a relatively small talent pool) then sure, I'd be interested at some point, but for now I think the first focus should be on the IAQ itself. Get people excited about it instead of getting too far ahead of ourselves. (I am admittedly skepical it'll reach any sort of production phase, but I don't mind leaving open the possibility as a grand end goal.)

OK: What problems are you referring to? My memories of it is that it actually went rather smoothly - just people lost interest after a couple months or so. Didn't have any issues with leadership, though (and I had had issues with GH's leadership previously, even!). Regardless... for the most part, like the DL, I expect people will naturally take leadership positions based on how much work they want to put in.

re the wiki: Even missing some key plot and mechanics info that was lost with the forums, it's still a pretty good read. I remember having fun doing my part for the stuff that is now there. Also, I am randomly amused by just how much Galleon resembles Maximillian.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

• Suggests the birth of an abomination
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2010, 05:27:51 AM »
This looks interesting, and I could go SI or Originals here.  Count me in.

Something makes me doubt that it'd be practical to make this for real, but I'd still be interested.
<+Nama-EmblemOfFire> ...Have the GhebFE guy and the ostian princess guy collaborate.
 <@Elecman> Seems reasonable.