Author Topic: Parties & Rivals Team Tourney - Round 1  (Read 3239 times)

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: Parties & Rivals Team Tourney - Round 1
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2010, 11:53:52 PM »
Okay, okay, vote changed on BoF1 vs. Lady if BoF1 defends aren't that helpful.  Not sure I buy *all* the pro-Lady arguments but the BoF team kinda needs everything to go right for them to have a shot at the blitz here.  FWIW, Dark Holy Elf, I wouldn't hold Puka against the averages because you are giving up a whole bunch of back line characters which you can switch in for free.  If BoF1 was a harder game that'd actually be a rather interesting tradeoff so I feel that insane average-breaking Puka is okay.  Still, I can see the argument the other way, too.

Re Albert Simon vs. WA2...  looking it up, Status Abnormality can inflict Paralysis/Stone/Poison/Confusion/Silence/Ring Abnormality.  But even worse Lilka has a status-cure spell, so she needs to die first.  SH1 Paralysis isn't so bad, it makes Lilka defend; poison whatever; and Ring Abnormality is not too effective in-game.  Confusion probably gives huge FP boosts to her buddies from her taps and can easily be tapped out of if necessary; Silence helps, but Lilka still can't be entirely ignored since she can go aggro and attempt to get Condition Green.  That leaves Stone as the only really scary one left.  So Simon has to status Lilka, possibly kill her if he only got Paralysis / Silence (through her defense!), then try and kill / status the rest.  While I respect Simon's HP, yeah, this gives the rest way too much time to hit high FP and do nutty things.  (If he goes aggro and ignores status then Lilka just Quicken->Healing.  Mysticing Berries is arguably legal and useful for her here, too, since it normally isn't relevant in the DL.)

Monkeyfinger

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2010, 12:59:38 AM »
vote changed to sephiroth.

Monkeyfinger

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2010, 09:29:07 AM »
It doesn't matter for this round, but it might next, so: Does Zohpar get ALL his hands, despite the fact that in-game you get to kill the front two hands while they're "alone", then get a full heal? I'd personally either translate that literally, or just start him off with head + 2 rear hands and go from there, but it sounds like there's set in stone rules here.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2010, 11:52:02 PM »
This closes tomorrow.  Get any last-minute votes / edits in!

Monkeyfinger: You get a fullheal, too?  Didn't know / had forgotten that.  My understanding was that his interior three parts were invincible and his outer two parts were damageable for the first three turns, but there wasn't healing after Zophar goes fully active.  Mm, that makes the case for just assuming the interior three a good bit stronger.

I'm going to punt to individual interpretations on Zophar.  "Set in stone" is a bit strong, everyone will have their own interpretations on everything anyway and there's no real way to change that.  To the extent that things are set in stone, they're that I'm trying to avoid massive division splits, like with Divine Weapon w/ Infinite Accelerator being Uber Godlike vs. Heavy.  Luckily Zophar is Godlike either way.  Now, the flavor of the tournament means that multiple-parts are legit and should be assumed legal by default, but Zophar is definitely a weird case with complications above and beyond normal.  Good thing he's awesome enough to make up for that.

Nephrite

• Denizen
  • President of the Great United States of America
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2010, 01:30:21 AM »
Godlike
Ryu, Nina, Bleu, Puka (Breath of Fire) vs. Lady (Shadow Hearts: FTNW)
Guv, Yangus, Jessica, Angelo (Dragon Quest VIII) vs. Vayne, Jessica, Niki, Flay, Pamela, Anna (Mana Khemia)
Zidane, Garnet, Vivi, Steiner (Final Fantasy IX) vs. Zophar (Lunar: Eternal Blue Complete)

Heavy
Ryu, Rei, Momo (Breath of Fire III) vs. Yosuke, Chie, Yukiko, Teddie (Persona 4)
Sephiroth (Final Fantasy 7) vs. Alex, Nash, Mia, Jessica, Kyle, Nall (Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete)
Divine Weapon (Wild Arms 4) vs. Indalecio (Star Ocean 2)

Middle
Xorn (Grandia III) vs. Kefka (Final Fantasy 6)
Jecht (Final Fantasy X) vs. Hugo, Fubar, Sgt. Joe, Lilly (Suikoden III)
Celes, Sabin, Edgar, Setzer (Final Fantasy 6) vs. Ramza, Agrias, Mustadio, Orlandu, Meliadoul (Final Fantasy Tactics)
Lyn, Eliwood, Hector, Athos, Serra, Nils (Fire Emblem) vs. Lavos (Chrono Trigger)

Light
Loki (Valkyrie Profile) vs. Daos (Lufia 2)
Luke, Guy, Tear, Jade (Tales of the Abyss) vs. Kuja (Final Fantasy IX)
Crono, Marle, Lucca (Chrono Trigger) vs. Pikachu, Charizard, Blastoise, Venusaur, Snorlax, Espeon (Pokemon)
Ashley, Brad, Lilka (Wild Arms 2) vs. Albert Simon (Shadow Hearts)

Bonus Match
Shion, KOS-MOS, Jin (Xenosaga Episode II) vs. Evil Gaia (Grandia)

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2010, 02:38:46 AM »
Godlike:
BoF team
DQ8 team
Brahman
Zophar

Heavy:
P4 Team
MK2 Team
Sephiroth
Divine Weapon

Middle:
Kefka
S3 Hugo Team
FF6 Team
FE7 Team

Light:
Daos
TotA team
Pokemon Red Team
WA2 Team

EVIL GAIA!

OblivionKnight

• Boom! Big reveal: I'm a pickle. What do you think about that?
  • Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2010, 12:28:11 AM »
Not bothering to comment this close to closing:

Lady (Shadow Hearts: FTNW)
Brahman (Digital Devil Saga)
Guv, Yangus, Jessica, Angelo (Dragon Quest VIII)
Zophar (Lunar: Eternal Blue Complete)

Yosuke, Chie, Yukiko, Teddie (Persona 4)
Elyon (Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter)
Sephiroth (Final Fantasy 7)
Indalecio (Star Ocean 2)

Xorn (Grandia III)
Jecht (Final Fantasy X)
Celes, Sabin, Edgar, Setzer (Final Fantasy 6)
Lavos (Chrono Trigger)

Daos (Lufia 2)
Luke, Guy, Tear, Jade (Tales of the Abyss)
Crono, Marle, Lucca (Chrono Trigger)
Albert Simon (Shadow Hearts)

Shion, KOS-MOS, Jin (Xenosaga Episode II)
[11:53] <+Meeple_Gorath> me reading, that's a good one

[19:26] * +Terra_Condor looks up. Star Wars Football, what?
[19:27] <+Terra_Condor> Han Kicks First?
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Vader intercepts.
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Touchdown and Alderaan explodes in the victory