Register

Author Topic: DLC5 Music Quiz  (Read 3742 times)

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
DLC5 Music Quiz
« on: December 11, 2009, 05:35:29 PM »
MC's topic made me realize I should probably make this.

I'll be running this again, traditionally, though I didn't do it last year cause I was running the whole dang Con.  Anyway, that aside, its the usual format:

I take x number of songs (55~, with a few bonuses), cut them down to a few seconds, you guess the origin of the song, and ideally identify the song too.  I'm thinking of maybe adding a little something extra and applying a 2 point system:

1 point if you guess the origin of the Song.  Another if you can guess the name.  This could make things more interesting, but also make things more hectic; I haven't finalized the idea yet, but I'll let you guys chime in on it!

Anyway, I'll be doing what I did for DLC3; I'll have about 20 slots open for the Quiz (less if that's too many).  These slots will be applied to YOU guys, each of you must volunteer in THIS TOPIC.  No, PMing me the songs you want will not suffice UNLESS you post in this topic saying you want too.  It just helps me keep things organized.  The people who volunteer then send me a list of songs, and I'll pick a random one from each of those lists; if you volunteer, you're guaranteed at least oNE of those songs on the list.  Note that the order you volunteer has no impact on where the song plays, so if you're first, don't be surprised if your song plays last.  I'll tell you this now; I Hatbot exactly who gets put where, to avoid people trying to figure second guess tastes.

The same rules applied as before, but I'll go over them briefly.  I'd point you to the DLC3 Topic, but I don't think that exists...but I think brevity is better!

-4-6 songs must be nommed.  No more, no less.  4-6 cause that's how DL Noms work!
-Songs from games only.  I don't want any Anime this year.  There's more than enough Video games out there, especially since this is NOT restricted to RPGs, that finding out 4-6 songs should not be hard.
-Any song you nom, you need to let me have an ability to find.  Whether you can send me the song directly, or can link me to a place that has the song, and you have CONFIRMED its there (not just "Its probably at Blue Laguna!")
-NO OBSCURA.  Obscura is reserved for bonuses only.  Make sure the song is something that people may have a chance to recognize; it doesn't have to be something ultra well known, but nothing from some game that like only one person has played in the DL.
-Also, no Bonus Match content songs; if you want something in a bonus match, you'll have to take it up with me in chat, PM, or whatever personally, and we can discuss details there.  For THIS slot, you'll have to nom regular songs.
-Do not use the same game twice.  I never use a game more than once on my quizes (Bonus matches aside)
-Also, I strongly urge you do NOT do the following kind of Noms:

1. Red Wings - FF4
2. Battle on the Big Bridge - FF5
3. Searching for Friends - FF6
4. One Winged Angel - FF7
5. Liberali Fatali (SP?) - FF8
6. To Zanarkand - FF10

Yes, its 6 different games...but its all the same series.  I like variety, you can use more than one song from the same series, but please try to show some diversity.  Its also recommended you try to show diversity in composers, publishers, etc. (so I don't want to see 6 N1 songs or whatever, to loop hole your way around it.)  I will note that I try to fit as many games, composers, styles, etc. on the quiz as is, so pulling this stuff is not something I want to see at all.  I generally want to get as many series represented as possible, and pulling a stunt like this is more or less a dick move; yes, I do use multiple songs from the same series sometimes, but I try to avoid it first, and then as I'm nearing the end...you get the idea (I do things in random orders to, remember, so this doesn't imply what songs fall where <_<.)
NOTE: The above list is not indicative in anyway of whether a song will be on the quiz or not, they are merely examples for purposes of demonstration.

-Also, make sure its a genuine song.  None of these bullshit Atmospheric "Songs" like Chrono Cross' final boss, which isn't really a song, just a bunch of arbitrary sound effects in the background.  No, it has to be something that's usable.  The song is allowed to be short, mind!

-NO REMIXES.  If the song doesn't actually play in the game like that, but is an arranged version or whatever, I'm simply going to ignore it.  It must appear in the game in some manner.  Additionally, that section of the song has to be heard; an example is SD3's Meridian Child.  Yeah, it plays in game, but there' a whole 2nd section of the song you'll never hear in game, thereby making THAT section obscura.

-Speaking of which, you are allowed to request specific points of a song to be used; ideally, tell me where it falls time wise in the song, or give me a way to indicate where that point starts, like if the song is mostly melodical, but halfway through, its starts having lyrics, and you say "choose a part from when the lyrical starts", then yeah, that's cool; just make sure its obvious what you mean.  Time Identification tends to be the best way to distinguish something (you don't have to be exact, just give an estimate, and I should find the part you need.)

-Oh yeah, again, its NOT limited to RPGs; any (non-obscura) game is fair play.  Want to nom something from Mario? Be my guest.  Street Fighter 2? Sure.  Bill Laimbeer's Combat Basketball? ...no, that's obscura, BAD!  So yeah, you really should have NO PROBLEMS being varied in your noms.

-If you don't know if a song is obscura or not, you can put in alternatives to your noms.  Like if you give me 6 songs, asterisk the ones you fear might be deemed "Obscura", and say "If these are no good, replace with these songs."  I'll totally ignore the alternative(s), mind, if the the song(s) in question is not obscura (or doesn't break a different rule, I just think Obscura is the hardest to judge, hence why I chose that one), so this is NOT a way to sneak in more than 6 noms.

This may SOUND like a lot of restrictions, but its basically "Don't be a fanboy!" and "Don't be a moron" and ilk.  

Oh yeah, and since there's already been so many quizes, I'll just say that while I'd PREFER you chose songs not on the previous quizes, I'm not going to scorn you if you do.  There's been too many quizes, and I'm not gonna ask you to go through all the quizes and find out what songs were used; I'm mostly talking about Minimeet/DLC Quizes, bare in mind.   So yeah, don't worry too much about this part; its a personal preference on my part, and not much else.

Anyway, sign ups start now!  You don't need to send the noms of songs in yet; we have plenty of time for that, but as we get closer to the con, I'll create a deadline, both for Nom Sign Ups, and actual nomming.  If you sign up and the deadline passes for sending me Noms, I'm going to remove you.  Note that you won't have to worry about this until, oh, May or so, but just giving you a massive advanced warning heads up.  

Naturally, send me a BOARD PM of the songs you want.  Gotta be private and all that for obvious reasons.

OH YEAH, one last thing!

You do NOT need to be coming to DLC5 for the sake of participating in noms for the Music Quiz; its open to anyone.  If you are sure you are NOT coming, please indicate this too, as I like to have guinea pigs people play test the quiz and tell me how reasonable it is before finalizing everything, and naturally, I'll want those not coming to do this as to not give away songs to those who participate.

Nominees and other forms of Victims:
1. Hunter Sopko
2. Ultradude
3. El-Cideon
4. Grefter
5. Oblivion Knight
6. Excal
7. Superaielman
8. Yakumo
9. Dhyerwolf
10. Snowfire
11. Magetastic
12. Notmiki
13. SirAlex
14. Ciato
15. Dark Holy Elf
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 05:28:21 PM by Meeplelard »
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
Re: DLC5 Music Quiz
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2009, 05:39:50 PM »
I be first to nom, yo

Ultradude

• White Void, Cold Steel, OUCH FUCKING VAMPIRES
  • Denizen
  • I AM THE etc.etc.etc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2009, 06:18:16 PM »
I'll throw in some noms later.

Also, I'm not coming, so if you test on me and I actually know a decent amount of it you know it's probably too easy >_>
"Turning into bats? Laughable!" says sparkly telepathic Volvo-driving vampire who spent century in high school.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2009, 07:52:44 PM »
Will submit noms and such. Also not coming again so may as well be a test subject again.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2009, 01:22:22 AM »
I will throw something out there.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

OblivionKnight

• Boom! Big reveal: I'm a pickle. What do you think about that?
  • Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2009, 02:50:19 AM »
IN THE NAME OF THE MOON!!!
[11:53] <+Meeple_Gorath> me reading, that's a good one

[19:26] * +Terra_Condor looks up. Star Wars Football, what?
[19:27] <+Terra_Condor> Han Kicks First?
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Vader intercepts.
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Touchdown and Alderaan explodes in the victory

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2009, 10:36:38 AM »
What the hell, I'm good for this.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2009, 01:03:59 PM »
I'll take a swing.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Yakumo

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2009, 11:15:29 PM »
I may as well toss some things in.

Dhyerwolf

• Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2009, 04:32:45 AM »
I'll submit some things this time around!
...into the nightfall.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2010, 04:18:58 AM »
Sent.

Magetastic

• Denizen
  • Cooler than you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2010, 04:41:08 AM »
Om nom nom~

Also, not coming.
<%King_Meepdorah> roll 1d999 for "It was beauty...that killed the mage"?
* +Hatbot --> "King_Meepdorah rolls 1d999 for "It was beauty...that killed the mage"? and gets 999."12 [1d999=999]
<%King_Meepdorah> ...
<+superaway> ...Uh oh.
<+RandomConsonant> ...
* +superaway shakes head.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2010, 04:45:23 AM »
I'll throw something at you.

EDIT: also, I'll nom some songs.
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Ranmilia

• Poetry Lover
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Not a squid!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2010, 02:28:33 AM »
I'll toss some songs in, sure.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2010, 06:48:20 PM »
I'll play.
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2010, 04:18:58 PM »
Nom sign ups close on May 1st.  If you're already on the list, you can completely ignore this statement.  If you're NOT on the list but want in on nomming, Sign Up before May 1st!

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2010, 05:44:49 PM »
about a week left before I close this topic! SIGN UP OR LOSE YOUR CHANCE TO HAVE A SAY IN A MEEPLE QUIZ!

That is all.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2010, 04:31:24 AM »
Signing up~

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2010, 03:33:12 PM »
Topic closes tonight! SIGN UP IF YOU WANT A SAY IN THE QUIZ!

You all don't want every song being MvC2's Character Select Screen do you? DO YOU!?!??

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2010, 04:11:56 PM »
I'd be down with that.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

OblivionKnight

• Boom! Big reveal: I'm a pickle. What do you think about that?
  • Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2010, 04:14:05 PM »
God damnit, stop stealing my ideas, Meeple!

Do you want us to resubmit, or do you have them all?
[11:53] <+Meeple_Gorath> me reading, that's a good one

[19:26] * +Terra_Condor looks up. Star Wars Football, what?
[19:27] <+Terra_Condor> Han Kicks First?
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Vader intercepts.
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Touchdown and Alderaan explodes in the victory

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2010, 04:29:09 AM »
If you're on the list, you're fine.  I don't need the NOMS by the time I close this (which is happening in like 12 hours!), just need to close sign ups eventually.

Edit: And lets put it this way; if I don't bug you 2 months from now for a list, then I have your list!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 04:32:29 AM by Meeplelard »

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2010, 04:43:58 PM »
OK! NOM SIGN UPS ARE CLOSED!

Thank you for the 15 people who have signed up.  If you've sent in your noms already, good job!  If you haven't...well, you still have time to do that!  I'll start being a pest when it gets to the point where I'm waiting too long.

Actually, I'll start bolding names of people whose noms I have so you can easily check if you did it or not.