Author Topic: Kinda serious topic; how well do you guys/gals get along with your dads?  (Read 3982 times)

Meiousei

• Glaive Slasher
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Let's see...my dad was strict and hit me if I messed up an easy math problem when I was in school. Now, he's causing problems for my mom. So I'm kinda the type that tries to avoid her dad whenever possible.

Xeroma

• SARDINES.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Vampire
    • View Profile
My dad... I used to hate him, now it's more just I think we aren't compatible/I really wish he'd actually -think- more. He's kind of a typical american dad who likes beer and football, and is sort of both really smart and really, really dumb. I can get along with him casually enough. We somehow didn't want to kill each other by the end of our brief stint of living together in this apartment, so I guess we get along alright. I'm not sure I'll ever get over how bad he used to treat mom/how he acts like my mom is mentally retarded though ._. He's gotten better about the former at least.

<@SageAcrin> Where you realize that, when you think about everything that's said about this person...
<@SageAcrin> It adds up to one thing.
<+Ranmilia> MEGA MAN PLOT

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
My dad treating my mom like she's mentally retarded is one thing that drives me over the edge quickly. And it is done more often than I'd like to think.
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
My dad and I have an ok relationship.  But we don't talk often.  This isn't really from lack of effort on his end, and more because if you can get him started on a topic he likes, or something that he can turn into a topic that he likes, or even just something that he thinks he knows a lot about, then good luck getting him to ever shut up short of walking off mid sentence.

I know it's certainly helped me learn the skill of feigning interest, and doing my level best to learn how to figure things out without ever asking questions.

BaconForTheSoul

• Denizen
  • Because you don't get her with 3 levels left.
    • View Profile
Always gotten along with my dad pretty well.  I was lucky (I think) enough to have the easy going parents, making my house the ones my friends would want to hang out at.  I do wish he'd have forced me to push myself more when I was a kid, but meh... nobody is perfect.  My parents also had no idea how stupid school was for me.

These days I bowl on a team in a Tuesday bowling league with my dad and we bowl on different teams in a Thursday league.  Relationships are strained a bit since he kicked my ass all 3 games last Thursday... but I'll get over it.  He's easy to talk to and his interests are mainly bowling/basketball/technology.  Soo... yeah works out well for a kid who ended up enjoying those 3 things.