Author Topic: Tourney of Interest: Season 11, Week 4  (Read 3239 times)

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
Tourney of Interest: Season 11, Week 4
« on: March 22, 2010, 07:08:19 AM »
Garm- ii v Lady- viii
Guv- ii v Violetta- vi
Rika- vii v Jack
Yuri-  v Taupy- ii (I was tempted to let Hatbot tiebreak this.  YOU EDIT YOUR POST TO CHANGE A VOTE.  BAD DJINN.)

Zaalbar v Wyl- v
Jowy- x v Tidus
Fir- ii v Marta
Fei- v v Annie

Bob- ii v Odie- vi
Bianca v Estelle- vi
Nergal v Ulrika- vii
Nera v Flay- v

Volug v Mightyena- viiii
Beryl- ii v Gordin- i
Micaiah- iiii v Sunset
Goofy v T3- ii

Godlike

Lady (Shadow Hearts: From the New World) vs Violetta (Grandia III)
Rika (Phantasy Star IV) vs Taupy (Sands of Destruction)

Heavy

Wylfred (Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume) vs Jowy Atreides (Suikoden II)
Fir (Fire Emblem: Sword of Seals) vs Fei Fong Wong (Xenogears)

Middle

Odie (Soul Nomad & The World Eaters) vs Estellise Sidos Heurassein (Tales of Vesperia)
Ulrika Mulberry (Mana Khemia 2: Fall of Alchemy) vs Flay Gunnar (Mana Khemia: Alchemists of Al Revis)

Light

Mightyena (Pokémon) vs Raspberyl (Disgaea 3: Absence of Justice)
Micaiah (Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn) vs T3-M4 (Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic)
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
Re: Tourney of Interest: Season 11, Week 4
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 07:24:18 AM »
Odie (Soul Nomad & The World Eaters) vs Estellise Sidos Heurassein (Tales of Vesperia): DOOOOOOOOOM!

BaconForTheSoul

• Denizen
  • Because you don't get her with 3 levels left.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2010, 07:37:43 AM »
Heavy

Fir (Fire Emblem: Sword of Seals) vs Fei Fong Wong (Xenogears)- Fei narrowly misses a OHKO and gets Critted before getting another chance.

Light

Mightyena (Pokémon) vs Raspberyl (Disgaea 3: Absence of Justice)- Mightyena has 4HKO damage that's 3HKO against Raspberyl's epic HP.  Raspberyl has 4HKO damage that's also 3HKO against Mightyena's epic magic durability.  Kind of thinking Beryl goes first here since I don't think 90 speed is all that great for Mighty.  Eating Fire/Opening with Scary/Eating Fire/Crunch/Hitting Self/Crunch/Fire... yeah dies there too.  So unless 90 speed is quicker than I think (which it could be?) then Rasp wins the 3HKO fest.

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 06:00:09 PM »
Rika (Phantasy Star IV) vs Taupy (Sands of Destruction) - Good grief.  SoD has an ID blocker (so Elim is out EVEN IF somehow she could get it to land in the first place) and Taupy can buff and heal while doing damage.  Plus I think he's faster to begin with.  It's all simply too much for Rika.

Wylfred (Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume) vs Jowy Atreides (Suikoden II) - Think Jowy just misses the OHKO.  EDIT: Or not, on actually checking instead of kneejerking.
Fir (Fire Emblem: Sword of Seals) vs Fei Fong Wong (Xenogears) - Fir's durability wasn't that great IIRC so Yamikei may still OHKO if you respect DB accuracy?  Not sure on this myself.  EDIT: Turns out Fir's more durable than I thought, so Fei gets trounced.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 11:30:11 PM by Random Consonant »

Ultradude

• White Void, Cold Steel, OUCH FUCKING VAMPIRES
  • Denizen
  • I AM THE etc.etc.etc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2010, 06:09:41 PM »
Fir (Fire Emblem: Sword of Seals) vs Fei Fong Wong (Xenogears) - Fir's durability wasn't that great IIRC so Yamikei may still OHKO if you respect DB accuracy?  Not sure on this myself.

Fir's got slightly above average HP, slightly below average defense - Yamikei should just barely miss the OHKO.
"Turning into bats? Laughable!" says sparkly telepathic Volvo-driving vampire who spent century in high school.

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2010, 06:13:58 PM »
Duly noted.  I keep underrating SM physical durability for some reason.

Cmdr_King

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2010, 06:44:09 PM »
It's also worth remembering that, while Deathblows seem to have some sort of accuracy boost, Fir will almost certainly dodge Yamikei's lead-in physicals, lopping somewhere around 200 damage off Fei's total.  So if the OHKO is iffy with the full damage, she'd definitely survive when you take that into account.

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2010, 07:59:56 PM »

Godlike

Heavy

Wylfred (Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume) vs Jowy Atreides (Suikoden II)- Go away, Wyl.

Middle

Odie (Soul Nomad & The World Eaters) vs Estellise Sidos Heurassein (Tales of Vesperia)
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2010, 08:21:44 PM »
Godlike

Lady (Shadow Hearts: From the New World) vs Violetta (Grandia III) - Hmm, think she outslugs.  This one's close.
Rika (Phantasy Star IV) vs Taupy (Sands of Destruction) - Better at the same game... well okay no ID, but he just blocks that.

Heavy

Wylfred (Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume) vs Jowy Atreides (Suikoden II) - dat OHKO
Fir (Fire Emblem: Sword of Seals) vs Fei Fong Wong (Xenogears)

Middle

Odie (Soul Nomad & The World Eaters) vs Estellise Sidos Heurassein (Tales of Vesperia) - Pikohan~ has type advantage against Odie!
Ulrika Mulberry (Mana Khemia 2: Fall of Alchemy) vs Flay Gunnar (Mana Khemia: Alchemists of Al Revis) - Immunes the status, overwhelms healing with timed cards?

Light

Mightyena (Pokémon) vs Raspberyl (Disgaea 3: Absence of Justice) - 90 Speed is below average, yes (average is somewhere in the range of 95-105).  Mightyena has a shot of winning with Swagger, but the odds are still barely against him there.
Micaiah (Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn) vs T3-M4 (Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic)

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2010, 12:20:08 AM »
Godlike

Lady (Shadow Hearts: From the New World) vs Violetta (Grandia III) - Lady.

Heavy

Wylfred (Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume) vs Jowy Atreides (Suikoden II) - Suspecting - or more precisely hoping - he OHKOs. Given how I'm tempted to just adopt Gate's interp on Plumes nowadays (he gets Vali and the skills from the only PCs he will always be able to recruit), I also think Jowy's MDef could stave off the Palsy into turn never anyway, which is game.
Fir (Fire Emblem: Sword of Seals) vs Fei Fong Wong (Xenogears) - Sure.

Middle

Ulrika Mulberry (Mana Khemia 2: Fall of Alchemy) vs Flay Gunnar (Mana Khemia: Alchemists of Al Revis) - Flay equips the Silence blocker, since that status screws him over while he can salvage himself against the other ones well enough. Once -that- threat's off, Buster Star kills Ulrika's ass. She so wishes Intent to Destroy didn't have a one-turn charge.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 12:22:00 AM by Jo'ou Ranbu »
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2010, 12:37:35 AM »
Godlike

Lady (Shadow Hearts: From the New World) vs Violetta (Grandia III): Different tiers.

Heavy

Wylfred (Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume) vs Jowy Atreides (Suikoden II): looool
Fir (Fire Emblem: Sword of Seals) vs Fei Fong Wong (Xenogears): Oh hey let's pretend deathblows are accurate because they're more accurate than some attacks that account for like 10% of the game's damage scale. No. (Probably doesn't matter, I just feel like shooting that argument today.)

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2010, 02:02:44 AM »
Wylfred (Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume) vs Jowy Atreides (Suikoden II) - Suspecting - or more precisely hoping - he OHKOs. Given how I'm tempted to just adopt Gate's interp on Plumes nowadays (he gets Vali and the skills from the only PCs he will always be able to recruit), I also think Jowy's MDef could stave off the Palsy into turn never anyway, which is game.

Vali's awakening can miss non immune targets? It's stupidly accurate if so.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2010, 02:28:39 AM »
You're thinking Glepnir's Bonds, super. Vali's Awakening is the self-buff he gets from the prologue.
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2010, 02:49:33 AM »

Gleipnir hits about 75-80% of the time against endgame enemies, roughly. It's accurate, but it can miss (at endgame, it usually missed one-two enemies besides the leader), and VPDS status was tested to hit MDef if I'm remembering Dhyer right.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 02:51:49 AM by Jo'ou Ranbu »
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2010, 03:22:09 AM »
Not that it matters, but gen3 speed average is 92 (RBY has the 100 average, but games since have generally been slower, not 100% sure on gen4). So yeah, the evo of the fearless POOCHYENA is indeed below average, though he can use Scary Face and end up with 5 turns before the average opponent gets 4 (see my Mighty/Volug analysis last week).

(EDIT: to be clear, this is 5 turns including the Scary Face, so it's only 4 before the opponent gets 4 otherwise)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 03:23:50 AM by Dark Holy Elf »

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Dhyerwolf

• Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2010, 09:30:50 AM »

Gleipnir hits about 75-80% of the time against endgame enemies, roughly. It's accurate, but it can miss (at endgame, it usually missed one-two enemies besides the leader), and VPDS status was tested to hit MDef if I'm remembering Dhyer right.

I'm not 100% sure that Wylfred's ones hit Mdef, but off the top of my head, think they do (Not relevant to me of course here since Jowy has no status resistance in game).
...into the nightfall.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2010, 01:45:33 AM »
Godlike

Lady (Shadow Hearts: From the New World) vs Violetta (Grandia III) - Splat.
Rika (Phantasy Star IV) vs Taupy (Sands of Destruction) - Ohjesuschrist Taupy out-evasion-whores /Rika/.

Heavy

Wylfred (Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume) vs Jowy Atreides (Suikoden II) - I give Wyl all Plume skills (not that he can realistically use more than one in a battle anyway, but this makes him a more varied status whore). Jowy still OHKOs~
Fir (Fire Emblem: Sword of Seals) vs Fei Fong Wong (Xenogears) - Djinn loves the Yamikei OHKO hype train.

Middle

Odie (Soul Nomad & The World Eaters) vs Estellise Sidos Heurassein (Tales of Vesperia) - Estelle's magic immunity messes him up. He can probably still damage her with the Despair trap effect... but she just moves out of it on her next turn. Even if you see her damage as crappy, it's not crappy enough that Odie will live to do much else. If you disallow the magic immunity (non-unique skill after all)... well, Estelle's still tanky and the SN type advantages say that he loses damage against healers, so he's not blitzing here.
Ulrika Mulberry (Mana Khemia 2: Fall of Alchemy) vs Flay Gunnar (Mana Khemia: Alchemists of Al Revis) - They team up and destroy the DL.

Light
Can't vote again... this is so weird, I can -always- vote on Light...
Mightyena (Pokémon) vs Raspberyl (Disgaea 3: Absence of Justice) - Go Disgaea~
Micaiah (Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn) vs T3-M4 (Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic) - Go FE10~

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2010, 08:25:18 PM »
Odie (Soul Nomad & The World Eaters) vs Estellise Sidos Heurassein (Tales of Vesperia) - Estelle's magic immunity messes him up. He can probably still damage her with the Despair trap effect... but she just moves out of it on her next turn. Even if you see her damage as crappy, it's not crappy enough that Odie will live to do much else. If you disallow the magic immunity (non-unique skill after all)... well, Estelle's still tanky and the SN type advantages say that he loses damage against healers, so he's not blitzing here.

Anti Magic is a unique skill...

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2010, 10:59:47 PM »
Godlike

Lady (Shadow Hearts: From the New World) vs Violetta (Grandia III): Believe she wins the slug fest.
Rika (Phantasy Star IV) vs Taupy (Sands of Destruction): Can't vote.

Heavy

Wylfred (Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume) vs Jowy Atreides (Suikoden II): Goes first, will not fail to 2HKO, even if I allowed Gleipnir's Bond, don't think Wyl can kill Jowy quick enough.
Fir (Fire Emblem: Sword of Seals) vs Fei Fong Wong (Xenogears): Counters, survives Yamikei, and possibly evades the weaker stuff too, gets a crit somewhere in the mix.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2010, 01:15:07 AM »
Godlike

Rika (Phantasy Star IV) vs Taupy (Sands of Destruction)

Heavy

Wylfred (Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume) vs Jowy Atreides (Suikoden II) - Sure, I'll buy the OHKO
Fir (Fire Emblem: Sword of Seals) vs Fei Fong Wong (Xenogears) - Evasion, counters, crits. Fei hits like a train, but this is still her fight to lose.

Middle

Ulrika Mulberry (Mana Khemia 2: Fall of Alchemy) vs Flay Gunnar (Mana Khemia: Alchemists of Al Revis)

Light

Mightyena (Pokémon) vs Raspberyl (Disgaea 3: Absence of Justice)
Micaiah (Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn) vs T3-M4 (Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic) - Clearly droids count as Heavy Armor types. <_< More seriously, counters ruin T3's day pretty cleanly.
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

Pyro

• Denizen
  • Mwahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2010, 01:41:06 AM »
Godlike

Lady (Shadow Hearts: From the New World) vs Violetta (Grandia III): Just more smashy.

Heavy

Wylfred (Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume) vs Jowy Atreides (Suikoden II): Uh everyone else is voting this way, I guess.

Middle

Odie (Soul Nomad & The World Eaters) vs Estellise Sidos Heurassein (Tales of Vesperia): Bwahahahaha Estelle wins this with Pikohan.
Ulrika Mulberry (Mana Khemia 2: Fall of Alchemy) vs Flay Gunnar (Mana Khemia: Alchemists of Al Revis): Smashes her up, immunes the status works.

Light

Micaiah (Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn) vs T3-M4 (Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic): No problem with Thani hype here. None whatsoever. Smash.

Dhyerwolf

• Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2010, 08:13:30 PM »
Godlike

Heavy

Wylfred (Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume) vs Jowy Atreides (Suikoden II)- Wyl is above average against one magic hit, and Jowy has no status resistance.

Middle
Ulrika Mulberry (Mana Khemia 2: Fall of Alchemy) vs Flay Gunnar (Mana Khemia: Alchemists of Al Revis)- Immuning silence does it.
...into the nightfall.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2010, 02:10:09 AM »

Anti Magic is a unique skill...

I was pretty sure Rita gets it too? I was under the impression that the common view allowed it as long as Estelle had the weapon that taught Anti Magic equipped.

But... it seems that Anti Magic and Perfect Magic are different! I misremembered.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 02:16:33 AM by DjinnAndTonic »

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2010, 02:24:24 AM »
Estelle's stops all magic from affecting her.  Rita's stops all enemies from casting spells.

Cmdr_King

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2010, 12:36:15 AM »
Godlike

Rika (Phantasy Star IV) vs Taupy (Sands of Destruction)- No vote.

Heavy

Wylfred (Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume) vs Jowy Atreides (Suikoden II)- I tend to kneejerk Suikoden II's kill point as "about 100 damage more than Hungry Fiend", and Wyl's fairly average magically, so.
Fir (Fire Emblem: Sword of Seals) vs Fei Fong Wong (Xenogears)- Deathblow accuracy notwithstanding, see my earlier comment on the matter.  Fir rather effortlessly one-rounds things so.

Middle

Odie (Soul Nomad & The World Eaters) vs Estellise Sidos Heurassein (Tales of Vesperia)- Utterly spoils.
Ulrika Mulberry (Mana Khemia 2: Fall of Alchemy) vs Flay Gunnar (Mana Khemia: Alchemists of Al Revis)- Star > Healing Echo?  works as a kneejerk.

Light

Mightyena (Pokémon) vs Raspberyl (Disgaea 3: Absence of Justice)- Hm.  Yeah, goes first is the determining factor.
Micaiah (Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn) vs T3-M4 (Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic)- Huh.  FE10 topic doesn't have endgame enemy avoid.  Oh well, Micaiah's decisively above average at it, should be enough.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 12:41:17 AM by Cmdr_King »