Author Topic: Best Scenes Round 11 - Live and Let Die!  (Read 2638 times)

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Best Scenes Round 11 - Live and Let Die!
« on: June 28, 2010, 01:29:14 AM »
DRAMA:
Teo's Death Scene (Suikoden) ||| vs Karen's Sacrifice (Xenogears) |||| |
Zack's Last Stand (Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII) || vs Bad End (Persona 4)

STYLE:
Four Way Fusion (The World Ends with You) | vs Edna meets Fear (Wild ARMs XF) |||| |||
Alexander vs Bahamut (Final Fantasy IX) |||| vs Transcending Love (Suikoden III) |||| 
(Tiebreak made in favor of Suikoden 3 on grounds that it involves Lulu Dying)

HUMOR:
Gau Dressup Party (Final Fantasy VI) | vs Branky is a bad boy (Suikoden III) |||| |||
Love Hotel (Persona 3) || vs Argilla Cosplays Sera ||||

This ends HYAH!  IN-DIG-WRONGNESS!:
Asmodeus, King of the Demons (Shadow Hearts: Covenant) | vs What is a Man?! (Castlevania: Symphony of the Night) ||||

UTTER FAILURE:
Cecily and Cathe (Xenosaga: Jenseits von Gut und Bose) |||| || vs Orphanage (Final Fantasy VIII) |||
Justin's Pity Party (Grandia) |||| | vs Anise (Tales of the Abyss) |||

As a side note, people need to STOP BEING SO DAMNED LAZY WITH WATCHING SCENES!  That one in drama is just insulting! 

Now, token whining aside...

DRAMA:
Ft. Zeakden (FFT) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fu5Z3Rialyo) vs. Meeting Kato in the Cemetary (SH2) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75RPtzIV_Pw)
Final Boss Plot Battle (Persona 3) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-ijWYps8bY&feature=related#t=0m18s) vs. The Miracle (SH2) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIuo6s5_YeM)

STYLE:
Opening Scene (Suikoden 5) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oknWj1quu4) vs. *Death Ending (Ogre Battle) (http://www.vgmuseum.com/end/snes/c/obdeth.htm)
Haseo vs. Azure Kite (.hack GU) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDJkiqv_E-k&feature=related) vs. Tibarn vs Lekain (FE10) (see quote below)

Tibarn vs. Lekain:
Tibarn: I'm glad I got to you first. See, I heard that the Serenes Massacre was all your doing... That puts you at the very top of the list of the enemies of the bird tribes.
Lekain: That may very well be, but I am under the divine protection of the goddess herself! A shabby sub-human pirate like yourself will find me quite invincible!
Tibarn: As much as I'd love to draw this little chat out, I don't think I can keep my talons out of your neck another instant.
Lekain: Why... Why are you laughing? Are you... enjoying yourself?
Tibarn: Some of us here are just overflowing with the chaos you're causing with this fight. That might be part of it... But, to be honest, there's a part of me that can hardly believe how much fun tearing your head off will be.

HUMOR:
Garan's Pillow (SH2) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EDkq0CTNG8) vs. Gig Ending, Female Revya (Soul Nomad) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bvW_WrTppo)
Dog Ending (Silent Hill 2) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHU2eqCEJ4o) vs. UFO Ending (Silent Hill: Shattered Memories) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIovnejnjLU)

SCREW THIS DIVISION, I HAVE WRONGNESS!:
Shlooop (Shadow Hearts) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cl6Zo2dFqyc#t=1m56s) vs. IN-DIG-NAY-SHUN (ToPa) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbmCKT3XSAU)

UTTER FAILURE:
Kain Steals the Dark Crystal (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqZ9CoraepA#t=2m25s) vs. Mithos Is A Moron (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3Qd5JyR1l8&feature=related)

BONUS MATCH: VIDEO SWAPPING FUN TIMES!:

Zero May Cry (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDLuXNpUF7w) vs. What Is Dante Fighting For (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUbZbAWVYZg&feature=related)

SHORT FORM!

DRAMA:
Ft. Zeakden (FFT) vs. Meeting Kato in the Cemetary (SH2)
Final Boss Plot Battle (Persona 3)  vs. The Miracle (SH2)

STYLE:
Opening Scene (Suikoden 5) vs. Death Ending (Ogre Battle)
Haseo vs. Azure Kite (.hack/GU)  vs. Tibarn vs Lekain (FE10)

HUMOR:
Garan's Pillow (SH2) vs. Gig Ending, Female Revya (Soul Nomad)
Dog Ending (Silent Hill 2) vs. UFO Ending (Silent Hill: Shattered Memories)

Shlooop (Shadow Hearts)  vs. IN-DIG-NAY-SHUN (ToPa)

UTTER FAILURE:
Kain Steals the Dark Crystal vs. Mithos Is A Moron

Zero May Cry vs. What Is Dante Fighting For

DIFFERENT NOTE ENTIRELY THAT IS NOT WHINE RELATED FOR ONCE!

I am now accepting noms for "Utter Failure" division; you may post one scene you think REALLY FREAKING FAILS that you think should be considered to used in this division and that's it.  ONLY ONE!!!!

And by "Noms" I mean "Suggestions" or whatever; basically it won't be handled in usual noms style, something completely arbitrary out of the blue will be used to decide them! 

However, I have one stipulation about these "noms":
XENOSAGA 3 IS BANNED!

So yeah, you gotta actually think of a bad scene, you can't just bank on the old "when in doubt, Xenosaga 3!" excuse here.  There's another reason I'm doing this, but I won't say what that is!  So yeah, other stuff is cool beans, XENOSAGA 3 IS NOT THOUGH!
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
Re: Best Scenes Round 11 - Live and Let Die!
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2010, 02:44:31 AM »
DRAMA:
Final Boss Plot Battle (Persona 3)  vs. The Miracle (SH2)- blah.  I'll have to come back to this.

STYLE:

HUMOR:

UTTER FAILURE:

Zero May Cry vs. What Is Dante Fighting For- *shrug*
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2010, 04:28:32 AM »
SHORT FORM!

DRAMA:
Final Boss Plot Battle (Persona 3)  vs. The Miracle (SH2)

STYLE:

HUMOR:

Shlooop (Shadow Hearts)  vs. IN-DIG-NAY-SHUN (ToPa) - What the HECK is THAT?

UTTER FAILURE:
Kain Steals the Dark Crystal vs. Mithos Is A Moron - FUCK YOU MITHOS.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2010, 05:25:56 AM »
Voting later. I nom the Eternal Sonata ending sequence for Utter Failure.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2010, 05:37:19 AM »
DRAMA:
Ft. Zeakden (FFT) vs. Meeting Kato in the Cemetary (SH2): Wait, Cmdr is voting against SH2? Against one of its best scenes at that? what is this I don't even- Anyway, yeah, I do kinda like Ft. Zeakden, but the cemetary is one of SH2's best scenes and I'd take it over anything from FFT besides its best scene, which already lost to SH2's best scene. So.
Final Boss Plot Battle (Persona 3)  vs. The Miracle (SH2): ... bleh. P3 scene is a less bad version of the P4 equivalent, but yeah, seconding Ciato that it doesn't involve creepy resurrection and that's a plus. I dunno, Miracle is one of the weakest SH2 scenes to me.

STYLE:
Opening Scene (Suikoden 5) vs. Death Ending (Ogre Battle): Heheheheh, that works pretty well. Openings, as always, rarely get votes from me.
Haseo vs. Azure Kite (.hack/GU)  vs. Tibarn vs Lekain (FE10): Tibarn dialogue here is quite hilarious, as is Lekain's puffed-up opinion of himself. .hack scene is very generic anime fight.

HUMOR:
Garan's Pillow (SH2) vs. Gig Ending, Female Revya (Soul Nomad): Have I mentioned I love Gig's VA?

Everything else requires watching, but don't worry, votes will come!

As a side note, people need to STOP BEING SO DAMNED LAZY WITH WATCHING SCENES!  That one in drama is just insulting!  

In the case of the drama scene it's not insulting. A lot of people don't want to be spoiled about the FF7CC ending (and likely P4 one as well). Yes, we may know what happens, but we still want to see it in-game for impact. Really this is an inevitable consequence of scenes from relatively less-played games being in drama (other categories, people clearly care about spoilers less).
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 01:30:41 AM by Dark Holy Elf »

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2010, 05:54:46 AM »
DRAMA:
Ft. Zeakden (FFT) vs. Meeting Kato in the Cemetary (SH2)- I like both of these scenes but I think the Kato scene is just really powerful to me. It really solidifies why he does what he does.
Final Boss Plot Battle (Persona 3)  vs. The Miracle (SH2)- I actually think both of these scenes are pretty mediocre, but one of them doesn't involve creepy revival of the dead.

STYLE:
Opening Scene (Suikoden 5) vs. Death Ending (Ogre Battle)- I like both, but Death Ending is <3
Haseo vs. Azure Kite (.hack/GU)  vs. Tibarn vs Lekain (FE10)- .hack art kinda bugs me for whatever reason and it's suuuch a generic anime fight scene.

HUMOR:
Garan's Pillow (SH2) vs. Gig Ending, Female Revya (Soul Nomad)- I 'unno.

Shlooop (Shadow Hearts)  vs. IN-DIG-NAY-SHUN (ToPa)

UTTER FAILURE:

« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 01:17:13 AM by Ciato »
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2010, 10:31:44 AM »
Yeah Meeple, the odd thing about spoilers here in Drama is that being there is a nice voucher that you don't want to see it if you haven't already seen it.  On that note, since I haven't played SH:C, but have finally started some really slow progress on it, I'm shut out of Drama this week.

Votes later, go P3 final battle.

dude789

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2010, 02:20:43 PM »
DRAMA:
Final Boss Plot Battle (Persona 3)   vs. The Miracle (SH2)

STYLE:

HUMOR:

UTTER FAILURE:

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2010, 03:30:08 PM »
DRAMA:

STYLE:

HUMOR:

UTTER FAILURE:
Kain Steals the Dark Crystal vs. Mithos Is A Moron- Fuck off Mithos.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2010, 04:35:08 PM »
In the case of the drama scene it's not insulting. A lot of people don't want to be spoiled about the FF7CC ending (and likely P4 one as well). Yes, we may know what happens, but we still want to see it in-game for impact. Really this is an inevitable consequence of scenes from relatively less-played games being in drama (other categories, people clearly care about spoilers less).

I understand that's the case with some people, and in the case of my statement, I was hyperboleing just for shits, but there was still some seriousness involved. Some other people were being genuinely lazy with scenes.  For example, there were a good deal of people voting on 1 to 3 scenes in their post, and never coming back to vote on others.

Its not just last week; its a pretty consistent trend I notice, as it tends to happen a few times a week, I believe.

I understand the "I don't want to be spoiled!" thing, but then there are people who I KNOW don't care about spoilers, and still aren't voting, which means "They're just being lazy."  Or alternatively, the match at hand has little to do with spoilers (like, I dunno, a scene labelled "Intro" or "Opening" is a pretty big indicator of "THIS IS NOT A SPOILER" if you ask me <.<) , but they still don't vote.  This just suggests "I'm too lazy to watch it, so I'll just not vote!"

What's the point of posting links, I guess, if the person isn't gonna watch the scene?  Again, the "Its a spoiler" reason I understand; the "I'm too lazy" reason (which is definitely the case in some areas)...*shrugs*

EDIT: Just as a side note, I realize I should have probably not specified the drama match, just "2 vs. 0" felt kind of insulting, and I know there's more people who have seen both (or have played both games, and thus wouldn't mind being spoiled on a "bad end" of a game they got a good end on), than the votes would imply.  Though, I can't back that up with actual data, so I'm just going off gut there.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 04:41:49 PM by Meeplelard »

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2010, 07:33:51 AM »
Yeah. Sorry. My problem is I'll check in and notice one or two I want to vote on, then forget over the course of the remainder of the week to check back in when I have time. I'll nail them all, this week.

DRAMA:
Ft. Zeakden (FFT) vs. Meeting Kato in the Cemetary (SH2): Mrm. Cointossing here. Something feels lacking in the Kato scene, but the Zalbag thing in Ft. Zeakden drives me nuts. All told, I think I'll default to Kato, due to the fact the scene is pretty solid and sets up for an immense forward movement from here and being an incredibly well handled version of this type.
Final Boss Plot Battle (Persona 3)  vs. The Miracle (SH2): I'm a sucker for scenes like the Final Boss Plot Battle, and its composition was pretty damn good in conveying the scene, but it all falls immensely flat due to Minato being a silent main. Contrast this against The Miracle, which is among the saddest goddamn moments in gaming, period, and the winner is pretty clear.

STYLE:
Opening Scene (Suikoden 5) vs. Death Ending (Ogre Battle): Battle of apathy. Not overly impressed by either.
Haseo vs. Azure Kite (.hack/GU)  vs. Tibarn vs Lekain (FE10): Music pushes it ahead.

HUMOR:
Garan's Pillow (SH2) vs. Gig Ending, Female Revya (Soul Nomad): Even as a sucker for changed gender humor, there really wasn't much to that scene to sell me. Garan's Pillow, meanwhile, is not only hilarious, but completely and awesomely IC.
Dog Ending (Silent Hill 2) vs. UFO Ending (Silent Hill: Shattered Memories): "Come to think of it, I haven't seen his wife in a while..."

Shlooop (Shadow Hearts)  vs. IN-DIG-NAY-SHUN (ToPa): ...this is among the toughest matches this week. I won't be sad, no matter who wins. But still. SHLOOOOOP. SHLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOP. SPLAT. SKREE!

UTTER FAILURE:
Kain Steals the Dark Crystal vs. Mithos Is A Moron: Swing and a miss.

Zero May Cry vs. What Is Dante Fighting For: Djinn's logic works for me.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2010, 11:43:44 AM by AndrewRogue »

Dhyerwolf

• Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2010, 09:39:23 AM »
I'll note that on Drama, if I haven't played one of the games I just kind of categorically stay away (Drama is the one category where you are guaranteed to lose sooo much out of context)

DRAMA:
Final Boss Plot Battle (Persona 3)  vs. The Miracle (SH2)- P3 scene is stylish (at points), but I can't say I found it dramatic.

STYLE:
Opening Scene (Suikoden 5) vs. Death Ending (Ogre Battle)- Death Battle is okay (Various other games have done similar things better), but speaking of extreme disappointments, we went from the majesty of Transcending Love to seeing static clumps of character groups floating across the screen.
Haseo vs. Azure Kite (.hack/GU)  vs. Tibarn vs Lekain (FE10)- Hack scene was pretty weak. I really find the last line in the FE scene to be very unstylish, but the rest works.

HUMOR:
Garan's Pillow (SH2) vs. Gig Ending, Female Revya (Soul Nomad)- Everything about Garan even down to the voice acting is just hilarious.

Shlooop (Shadow Hearts)  vs. IN-DIG-NAY-SHUN (ToPa)- Eh, no vote here. One's a corny intro joke, the other is just standard old timey bad VA.

UTTER FAILURE:
Kain Steals the Dark Crystal vs. Mithos Is A Moron- No, no, the failure of the Kain scene is that despite being brainwashed, things like this make people hype Kain. The scene itself is whatever.
...into the nightfall.

OblivionKnight

• Boom! Big reveal: I'm a pickle. What do you think about that?
  • Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2010, 10:55:43 AM »
DRAMA:
Ft. Zeakden (FFT) vs. Meeting Kato in the Cemetary (SH2) - Yet another reason SH2 is badass.
Final Boss Plot Battle (Persona 3)  vs. The Miracle (SH2) - More stylish on the Shin Megami Tensei part than drama. 

STYLE:
Opening Scene (Suikoden 5) vs. Death Ending (Ogre Battle) - Not as good as S4 or S3 even, but better than OB endings.
Haseo vs. Azure Kite (.hack/GU)  vs. Tibarn vs Lekain (FE10) - .hack was...kind of weak...I agree with Dhyer!  Take note of this fabulous day!  The FE scene still needs more Naesala vs. Sephiroth, and Naesala in general, but is still decent.  Haseo is just...a lot of screaming and faces that look like people are constipated.  Which makes it kind of funny >_>

HUMOR:
Garan's Pillow (SH2) vs. Gig Ending, Female Revya (Soul Nomad) - Mmm...Garan's pillow is just funnier in the sense
Dog Ending (Silent Hill 2) vs. UFO Ending (Silent Hill: Shattered Memories) - Is awesome.  Dog is still good, but UFO is funnier for those who know Silent Hill

Shlooop (Shadow Hearts)  vs. IN-DIG-NAY-SHUN (ToPa) - SCHLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOP!  SPLAT!

UTTER FAILURE:
Kain Steals the Dark Crystal vs. Mithos Is A Moron - At least Mithos has a backstory

Zero May Cry vs. What Is Dante Fighting For - What is this I don't even...

Are there limits to the noms?  Must be a game, I assume.
[11:53] <+Meeple_Gorath> me reading, that's a good one

[19:26] * +Terra_Condor looks up. Star Wars Football, what?
[19:27] <+Terra_Condor> Han Kicks First?
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Vader intercepts.
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Touchdown and Alderaan explodes in the victory

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2010, 04:28:59 PM »
Kain Steals the Dark Crystal vs. Mithos Is A Moron- No, no, the failure of the Kain scene is that despite being brainwashed, things like this make people hype Kain. The scene itself is whatever.

Partially true, but not quite.

The Kain failure comes from the fact that the team just STANDS THERE and does nothing to stop him.  Kain doesn't exactly make a very effective exit either.  He stands there for a good deal of time while Golbez rants (FF4 Original, mind, Golbez's little rant wasn't there; that was a DS addition which, in an attempt to explain things on the mind control, actually MADE THE SCENE WORSE), and Cecil and Co. just sort of gawk at it.  And when he leaves, your team doesn't even do anything to chase him down either.  Not to mention that he doesn't have an Airship or anything to leave promptly, or anything, so your team thinking "We'll never catch him!" logic is just stupid, ESPECIALLY when you have a freaking Ninja on your team trying to chase down a guy with Heavy Armor *OR* Mages who can immobilize the damn guy (FF4 has shown gameplay spells used out of battle A LOT, so this is one game where the Plot vs. Gameplay segregation excuse does not work, and part of why FF4 has so many dumb moments.)  Now, I'm getting into a bit precise but...

The scene shows multiple opportunities to stop Kain, and your team manages to fail up every one of them.  When he grabs it from Cecil, he's SURROUNDED by the entire team; you'd think one of them would try to, I dunno, grab him?   Then he actually walks to the end of the screen, and sits there while Golbez rants.  Your team does nothing to try and stop him, and then when he leaves, your team doesn't chase him down, despite having Mages who can immobilize it.  The fact that people think this scene adds Depth to Kain when its just another "He's mind controlled, DAMN IT!" moment, and you have yourself a rather classic failure scene.

But what's also icing on it?

In the SNES version, I was able to suspend belief.  Early SNES game, lower standards, etc., whatever, I can give it a bit of lenience there (not a lot though; FF4 was filled with cutscene stupidity all over the place, but lets not get into that.)  By FF4DS though, a game that was actually altering some scenes here and there, "enhancing" the plot, etc., with far greater standards to work against now there's been several generations of upgrades since the original game?
I'm sorry, but here there's no excuse, and the fact that its in a modern remake that was changing some stuff makes it all the more insulting.

So basically, Fan Dumb + Classic Case of Cutscene Stupidity taken to a completely moronic level + They had the chance to fix it BUT DIDN'T in a "full" remake make for an atrocious scene.

The Manos, HAND OF FATE scene with Golbez fits too, except...
A. That scene is also hilarious in how its so bad.  Its just so ridiculous that its funny (thus it fits into "Wrong" perfectly.)  This scene, there's nothing remotely funny about it; its just your team being morons.
B. They did actually try to fix the scene in the DS Remake.  The DS remake doesn't make the scene GOOD or anything, but at least upgrades it to "Eh, I can suspend belief and assume Golbez acted fast enough, while team was still recovering shock of 'HE'S STILL ALIVE?!?'" which while cheap and boring, its nothing particularly stand out one way or another.

Actually, B is another big reason the Kain scene fails.  They fixed ONE scene, kind of, with immense amount of cutscene stupidity, why not another?  Would it be so hard to, during Golbez's rant, have Edge try to charge Kain, only for a barrier Golbez created to block him (Kuja did something similar to Vivi in FF9, after all), to at least make it seem like your team ATTEMPTED to stop him.  Yes, its cheap, boring, obnoxious, etc. but at least it removes Cutscene Stupidity from this scenes failure, and shows an attempt to fix it.

I'm not saying the scene is necessarily worse than the Mithos one; that one is dumb for completely different reasons, I'm just noting that you're underselling WHY the Kain scene is so bad.  The Mithos one, naturally, is just a little more obvious as to why its such a retarded scene (I think just the name "Mithos" says everything.)

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2010, 05:31:14 AM »
DRAMA:
Final Boss Plot Battle (Persona 3)   vs. The Miracle (SH2) - SH2 ownage. There's a lot of that this week.

STYLE:
Opening Scene (Suikoden 5) vs. Death Ending (Ogre Battle) - Kinda low standards in this match.
Haseo vs. Azure Kite (.hack/GU)  vs. Tibarn vs Lekain (FE10) - ...and lower!

HUMOR:
Garan's Pillow (SH2) vs. Gig Ending, Female Revya (Soul Nomad) - And as much as I love SN and this ending... more SH2 ownage.

Shlooop (Shadow Hearts)  vs. IN-DIG-NAY-SHUN (ToPa) - I've honestly always felt that the lady was overacting so much that this scene was supposed to be funny. It wouldn't be very far off from how how SH2 does a lot of its humor, either.

UTTER FAILURE:
Kain Steals the Dark Crystal vs. Mithos Is A Moron - Mithos just doesn't provoke me for some reason.

Zero May Cry vs. What Is Dante Fighting For - Everything's better with Dante.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2010, 04:32:37 AM »
Shlooop (Shadow Hearts)  vs. IN-DIG-NAY-SHUN (ToPa) - I've honestly always felt that the lady was overacting so much that this scene was supposed to be funny. It wouldn't be very far off from how how SH2 does a lot of its humor, either.

By this logic...doesn't the ToP scene win by default? I mean, if something is "suppose to be funny", doesn't that suggest the scenes merits are intended, thus kind of defeating the purpose of this division outright <_<?

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2010, 04:34:40 AM »
I thought we were supposed to vote for the scene we liked better in that category?

I REALLY don't understand the point of that category. It's not Utter Failure, and it's not 'Which fails less' ... what is it?!

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2010, 04:49:05 AM »
I thought we were supposed to vote for the scene we liked better in that category?

I REALLY don't understand the point of that category. It's not Utter Failure, and it's not 'Which fails less' ... what is it?!

No, its not merely "like it better", but "like it better in the context of the division."

Someone may find a serious scene like Ferid/Arshstat far greater than any humor scene ever, but if it were to somehow find its way into the Humor Division, you SHOULD be voting against it (unless you're a sick minded individual but lets not get into that); Ferid/Arshstat may be a better scene overall, but its clearly not the FUNNIER scene.  I assume most people adjust their standards based on each division, so for humor, they look for "ok, what do I find funnier?" or in style, something like "What scene was cooler?" would be something to look for.

That's the point of the division system; its putting similar kinds of scenes (some can apply in multiple divisions of course), and voting based off those similar merits.

In the case of wrongness, its scenes that are good/memorable/etc. in ways that the creators probably didn't intend them to be (Hence "WRONG.")  Why do people remember the line "YOU SPOONY BARD!" for example?
Cause its such a hilarious translation that it became a MEME, and it stuck.  Its not well written or anything, nor is it really that AWFUL, its just so freaking random and silly, caused by silly translation.  In the context of the game, its meant to be serious, but its so ridiculous, you can't possibly take it seriously, and its actually funny as a result. Unintentional Humor right there!

"Utter Failure" is the division where "So bad, its just bad."  You know, scenes that make you want to strangle kittens.  Wrong is more "The devs screwed up somewhere, but that's what makes it brilliant!"  

Its hard to explain wrongness, but generally, if you think something is INTENDED, there's a good chance it doesn't belong in that division.   See how La Mulana got a few nods regarding how it'd work for other divisions, since it was clearly intended, but because it was intended, many auto-voted against it.

EDIT: Actually, you know the trope "So Bad Its Good"?  Well, that can be applied rather well to the "Wrong" division.  Its not a text book definition of the division, but its a good example nonetheless.

The whole idea, basically, is "The scene is good for reasons not intended by the devs."  Generally speaking, if you think they did it on purpose, then it probably doesn't belong here.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 04:55:22 AM by Meeplelard »

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2010, 03:22:22 AM »
NO MORE VOTES!

OblivionKnight

• Boom! Big reveal: I'm a pickle. What do you think about that?
  • Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2010, 04:08:34 PM »
Utter Failure Nomination (hey, you said 1 per topic >_>)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gya0EZbRIbg

Starting at around 1:18
[11:53] <+Meeple_Gorath> me reading, that's a good one

[19:26] * +Terra_Condor looks up. Star Wars Football, what?
[19:27] <+Terra_Condor> Han Kicks First?
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Vader intercepts.
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Touchdown and Alderaan explodes in the victory