Author Topic: Best Scenes, Round 2, Pool 5 - Don't do anything rash, my friends  (Read 1615 times)

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile

DRAMA:
"Love Lost" Ending (Silent Hill: Shattered Memories) |||| vs. Cointoss (FFVI) ||
Aira's Big Secret Revealed (Grandia II) |||| vs. "We will live without false hope" (FFX) |||| |

STYLE:
Lucifer (DMC4) |||| | vs. Thanatos Summoned (Persona 3) ||||
Final sequence of fighting (Crisis Core) |||| vs.  POISON CHIHUAHUA (God hand) ||

HUMOR:
Camping Trip! (Persona 4) |||| | vs. "A Sailor is a Man's Man!" (BoF4) |||| | (tiebreak goes to the scene that's...actually a scene, not 3 scenes strung together to be a SEQUENCE which is a total cheat.  Considering I read reasons based off of "I voted on the entire trip" is proof people voted on the FULL SEQUENCE! </end rage> (yes, this is the token "I hate you all" moment of the thread))
"THERE'S NOTHING LIKE DRINKING TEA IN OUTER SPACE!"  (Disgaea) |||| |||| | vs.  Ghido Ultimate Bartz Mockery (FF5 Advanced) |

I'LL BE WRONG TO YOU!:
EXPLODING FROG (Final Fantasy Tactics) ||| vs. LiiiiiIIIIIIIGHHHTT (Devil May Cry) |||| ||

Moving onto...the next round...

DRAMA:
Might vs Right (SH2) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ea5nAqym380&feature=related) vs. Squall's pep talk during garden fight (FFVIII) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFbRRODPGQU#t=7m27s)
Karen's Sacrifice (Xenogears) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbuepIBm9Bw&feature=related#t=5m27s to 8:47.  Apoligies for the voice over.)
 vs. Zack's Last Stand (Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BheU4MyJUwA#t=17m40s)

STYLE:
Mission 1 Opening (DMC3) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJ6168DoxHY&feature=related) vs. *Chess Battle (ShF2) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1z61F6mfcGI)
Edna meets Fear (Wild ARMs XF) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfTgboLV81o#t=2m15s) vs. Transcending Love (Suikoden III) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_80uOp_PN0U&feature=related)

*TURN VOLUME DOWN ON THIS FOR THE LOVE OF GOD.  Trust me, you'll thank me when you do.

HUMOR:
*Badrach's Story (VP) vs. Tranny Kyle (LSSSC) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bIMxvKqCS4)
Branky is a bad boy (Suikoden III) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwuizCVeEcU) vs. Argilla Cosplays Sera (Argilla Cosplays Sera (Digital Devil Saga) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=De6HsU7wJKA#t=4m20s til about 6:40)

*2 Videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIKn7ovOa48
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90R_aRcB3pA&feature=related

I'M WRONG MAN, BUT YOU CAN CALL ME INCORRECT GUY!
WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOR (MMX4) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LISmPmdUhYA) vs.  What is a Man?! (Castlevania: Symphony of the Night) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMTizJemHO8 )

SHORT FORM:

DRAMA:
Might vs Right (SH2) vs. Squall's pep talk during garden fight (FFVIII)
Karen's Sacrifice (Xenogears) vs. Zack's Last Stand (Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII)

STYLE:
Mission 1 Opening (DMC3) vs. Chess Battle (ShF2)
Edna meets Fear (Wild ARMs XF) vs. Transcending Love (Suikoden III)

HUMOR:
Badrach's Story (VP) vs. Tranny Kyle (LSSSC)
Branky is a bad boy (Suikoden III) vs. Argilla Cosplays Sera

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOR (MMX4) vs.  What is a Man?! (Castlevania: Symphony of the Night)
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Dhyerwolf

• Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
Re: Best Scenes, Round 2, Pool 5 - Don't do anything rash, my friends
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 06:54:08 AM »
DRAMA:
Karen's Sacrifice (Xenogears) vs. Zack's Last Stand (Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII)- Really not a fond of post FF7's blowsy overdone style, and this scene is filled with it.

STYLE:
Mission 1 Opening (DMC3) vs. Chess Battle (ShF2)- See the above one. DMC has the same blowsy overdone style.
Edna meets Fear (Wild ARMs XF) vs. Transcending Love (Suikoden III)- Ugh, only hard battle this week. Transcending Love is like...the height of style for me, but in the end, it's the a height of style video that feels hyper-disconnected with the game that follows it. If I was voting solely for style it would have my vote, but use of style in a game, it goes the other way.

HUMOR:
Badrach's Story (VP) vs. Tranny Kyle (LSSSC)- Actual attempt at being funny
Branky is a bad boy (Suikoden III) vs. Argilla Cosplays Sera- Actual attempt at being funny

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOR (MMX4) vs.  What is a Man?! (Castlevania: Symphony of the Night)- I have no problems with the SotN scene. I like it in the other one when she died though. Funtimes.
...into the nightfall.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 07:08:27 AM »
DRAMA:
Might vs Right (SH2) vs. Squall's pep talk during garden fight (FFVIII): Big, big fan of this one. Latter is probably the best dramatic scene in FF8 too, so it doesn't acquit itself badly, but Might vs. Right was 3 minutes of me drinking the Cmdr King-patented gatorade of SH2 plot hype.
Karen's Sacrifice (Xenogears) vs. Zack's Last Stand (Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII): You know what? I'm going to vote here. I really like this scene, both in its impact and how it ties up so much plot buildup beautifully. I would be utterly shocked if Zack's last stand impressed me on that level. It sounds like the scene is very well done in terms of cinematography, voice acting, etc. - but I know the spoilers of the actual content and that just doesn't interest me. Yes, this is technically a "cheating" vote and if it really bugs people I'll take it back. But... as it stands, I'd rather not spoil myself on this scene just to vote against it, and I'd rather not tempt myself into spoiling myself so I can support a scene I am a big fan of, so this seems to be the best option.

STYLE:
Mission 1 Opening (DMC3) vs. Chess Battle (ShF2): It's funny because of the DMC3 chess battle. Anyway. The ludicrousness of the former is certainly up my alley humour-wise. I always love a game that doesn't take itself too seriously in its style. (Well, I lie, since I distinctly don't love DMC3. But I love this aspect of it!)
Edna meets Fear (Wild ARMs XF) vs. Transcending Love (Suikoden III): Pretty much what Dhyer said.

HUMOR:
Badrach's Story (VP) vs. Tranny Kyle (LSSSC): Its dark humour just struck me. I'll vote it over a lot of things, although Tranny Kyle is solid too.
Branky is a bad boy (Suikoden III) vs. Argilla Cosplays Sera: Branky was pretty amazing, especially before having things like MK2 to spoil me on the "what the -fuck-" style of humour.

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOR (MMX4) vs.  What is a Man?! (Castlevania: Symphony of the Night): If you squint you can kinda take the latter seriously. The former? A meme whose hype I am totally behind, it's just great.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010, 10:45:28 AM »
DRAMA:
Might vs Right (SH2) vs. Squall's pep talk during garden fight (FFVIII)- y'know, somehow I actually forgot to nom an SH2 scene.  It wouldn't have been this one, but that means very little.  SH2 has this region of about 5-10 hours at the end which is basically an endless stream of grade A storytelling.  I really like Squall's scene but ultimately FFVIII just isn't as strong a plot.
Karen's Sacrifice (Xenogears) vs. Zack's Last Stand (Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII)- Xenogears as a game is more about dense, high concept storytelling as a vehicle for a sappy (and awesome) love story of all things than anything else.  Which means that when they do pull out the emotional heavy artillery, they've been building you up for it the entire game and you hit the mat hard.
(Less voting against things, more voting for things.)

STYLE:
Edna meets Fear (Wild ARMs XF) vs. Transcending Love (Suikoden III)- Because establishing a sudden new villain as the biggest threat in thirty seconds is always awesome.

HUMOR:
Badrach's Story (VP) vs. Tranny Kyle (LSSSC)- ... hm.  I'm really not sure.  So uh I guess I'll stay on with ciato hype.

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOR (MMX4) vs.  What is a Man?! (Castlevania: Symphony of the Night)
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

dude789

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2010, 03:21:00 PM »
DRAMA:
Karen's Sacrifice (Xenogears) vs. Zack's Last Stand (Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII)

STYLE:

HUMOR:

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOR (MMX4) vs. What is a Man?! (Castlevania: Symphony of the Night)

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2010, 06:19:09 PM »
SHORT FORM:

DRAMA:
Might vs Right (SH2) vs. Squall's pep talk during garden fight (FFVIII)- Both are good, Might vs. Right is better.

STYLE:
Mission 1 Opening (DMC3) vs. Chess Battle (ShF2)- hax
Edna meets Fear (Wild ARMs XF) vs. Transcending Love (Suikoden III)- luuuulz. The polar opposite of close.

HUMOR:

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOR (MMX4) vs.  What is a Man?! (Castlevania: Symphony of the Night)- I might change my vote if this were the IWBTG version where The Kid explodes into a sea of blood when getting a wine glass thrown at him. As is these two feel like Grade A ham and there's probably worse things moving on than both.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 06:21:35 PM by Ciato »
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2010, 06:25:59 PM »
SHORT FORM:

DRAMA:

STYLE:

HUMOR:
Badrach's Story (VP) vs. Tranny Kyle (LSSSC) - I'd appreciate the dark humor in Badrach's story more if it, y'know, actually existed.

James_xeno

• Dark Force
  • Denizen
  • And ye shall be as gods
    • View Profile
    • My 1up profile page
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2010, 10:28:26 PM »
DRAMA:

STYLE:

HUMOR:

When antelopes cross a river crocodiles will eat some of them, but the majority will still make it through.
Because there are 500 antelope and three crocodiles. Not because the crocodiles are enviornmentalists.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2010, 10:50:53 PM »

SHORT FORM:

DRAMA:

HUMOR:
Branky is a bad boy (Suikoden III)
vs. Argilla Cosplays Sera

"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

OblivionKnight

• Boom! Big reveal: I'm a pickle. What do you think about that?
  • Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2010, 11:10:52 PM »
DRAMA:

STYLE:

HUMOR:
Badrach's Story (VP) vs. Tranny Kyle (LSSSC) - Only major comment here.  I find Badrach more dramatic than humourous, so...  All other matches I have no comments on

[11:53] <+Meeple_Gorath> me reading, that's a good one

[19:26] * +Terra_Condor looks up. Star Wars Football, what?
[19:27] <+Terra_Condor> Han Kicks First?
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Vader intercepts.
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Touchdown and Alderaan explodes in the victory

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2010, 02:43:57 AM »
DRAMA:
Might vs Right (SH2) vs. Squall's pep talk during garden fight (FFVIII) - Good stuff this week. I just like SH2's scene a lot more.
Karen's Sacrifice (Xenogears) vs. Zack's Last Stand (Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII) - It's gonna be fun when these two meet next round.

STYLE:
Mission 1 Opening (DMC3) vs. Chess Battle (ShF2) - Heh, I actually liked the ShF2 Chess Battle, but DMC is hax in style division.
Edna meets Fear (Wild ARMs XF) vs. Transcending Love (Suikoden III) - tiebreak against disconnected opening.

HUMOR:
Badrach's Story (VP) vs. Tranny Kyle (LSSSC) - Badrach does feel more Drama-y.
Branky is a bad boy (Suikoden III) vs. Argilla Cosplays Sera - Yay WTF

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOR (MMX4) vs.  What is a Man?! (Castlevania: Symphony of the Night) - Heh, I seriously liked every scene this week. It's an actual competition! I personally like the latter meme because not only is it Engrish-y and stupid, it also encapsulates the entirety of CV plot in such a succint yet terrible manner.

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2010, 03:59:59 PM »
DRAMA:

STYLE:

HUMOR:

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2010, 07:12:07 AM »
SHORT FORM:

DRAMA:

STYLE:

HUMOR:

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOR (MMX4) vs.  What is a Man?! (Castlevania: Symphony of the Night) - Better spoofs

None of these fairly close except Zack v Karen