Author Topic: The RPGDL Audiosurf Challenge  (Read 7116 times)

Tonfa

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: The RPGDL Audiosurf Challenge
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2010, 06:57:13 PM »
I am fully in support of more material.
<Niu> If I ever see that Langfadood, i'll strangle him on sight
<Gourry> What, for making the game three times better?
<Gourry> And playable, at that?
<Niu> that lose the whole point of of L2!!!

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2010, 09:46:05 PM »
Yeah I wasn't going to wait the whole month out, just going to give it a bit more time to not bombard with a ton of things.

20 is a ton of songs.  I was thinking more 10 or so tracks, roughly what you would get on a regular CD.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2010, 10:08:53 PM »
Same, was gonna wait maybe a week or two before putting mine out.

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2010, 12:21:22 AM »
Okay, I'm officially hooked on this. Made my own track list today as well and test played it. Only 2 songs made for boreing tracks!(And I promptly switched out those songs for less boreing ones.)

<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2010, 12:42:34 AM »
Oh, yes, fair enough on the track bombardment.  I just figured everyone else was using the formula we used for the Music Quizes because we are sheep.  >_>

In that case, I'll hold off on releasing a track set, too.  That will at least give me time to find better songs.  >_>

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2010, 01:46:42 AM »
Hey everyone. I figure I'm just gonna post the song list for the Anime Challenge now, so people can practice. I haven't made a decision yet on limiting play modes. We'll see how Tonfa's ends up.

1. Cowboy Bebop- Tank! (OP) 208  3:30
2. Generator Gawl- I Want Out! (OP) 223 4:06
3. Gundam SEED- Invoke (OP1) 297 4:20
4. Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann- Happily Ever After 181 3:30
5. Welcome to the NHK- Odoru Akachan Ningen (ED1) 229 4:06
6. GTO- Hitori no Yoru (OP2) 244 4:07
7. Darker Than Black- Kakusei Heroism ~Hero Without A Name~ (OP2) 261 4:19
8. Paprika- Nigeru Mono 225 4:57
9. Nadesico- You Get to Burning (OP) 244 4:13
10. Xam'd- Shut Up and Explode! (OP) 239 3:37
11. .hack//roots- God Diva 226 4:15
12. Bleach- Houki Hoshi (ED3) 238 3:14
13. To Aru no Majitsu no Index- Masterpiece (OP2) 284 4:34
14. Bakemonogatari- Kimi no Shirenai Monogatari (ED) 191 5:41
15. Eureka 7- Days (OP1) 229 4:15
16. RE:Cutey Honey- Cutey Honey (OP) 219 3:05
17. The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya- God Knows 246 4:39
18. Eureka 7- Tiger Track 249 5:13
19. Beck- Brainstorm 206 3:52
20. Utena- Rinbu Revolution (OP) 242 4:35

The numbers at the end are the traffic count on Casual (just for reference at a glance) and the song length. Overall, it's probably not as challenging as Tonfa's, as there aren't really any ballbuster tracks like Cinderella Cage, but each one has a few tricks and challenges. The songs are also in general longer, but only 2 go over 5 minutes.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 12:34:55 AM by Hunter Sopko »

Ultradude

• White Void, Cold Steel, OUCH FUCKING VAMPIRES
  • Denizen
  • I AM THE etc.etc.etc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2010, 03:37:38 PM »
...Niiiice taste Soppy.

Now that I'm FINALLY getting a card I'll be able to buy this for myself instead of bugging people to let me use theirs. Won't make the RPG Challenge, but anything later is fine!
"Turning into bats? Laughable!" says sparkly telepathic Volvo-driving vampire who spent century in high school.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2010, 09:05:29 PM »
It's half taste, half quality of surfing. There are some songs I love that are terrible audiosurf songs.

EDIT: Also, you can just jump into the RPG one anyway. It's not like the scoreboards for those songs will be going down anytime soon.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 12:29:34 AM by Hunter Sopko »

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2010, 12:43:47 AM »
Hokay, since the RPG one seems to be winding down (haven't really seen much activity on the scores lists), I'll post up my Anime one now.

Like Tonfa did it, in two parts.

http://www.mirrorcreator.com/files/1PAOWTB0/Anime_Audiosurf_Challenge_1.rar_links
http://www.mirrorcreator.com/files/1T5LIK3V/Anime_Audiosurf_Challenge_2.rar_links

Have fun!

As for the contest itself... just use whatever qualifiers you want. No use setting limitations. The scoreboards will stand for themselves. Don't care what other people do as long as you're the Ninja Mono champ? Works. Must be the champ of all brackets regardless? Also works.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 12:58:01 AM by Hunter Sopko »

Tonfa

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2010, 05:32:53 AM »
And let's look at the results for the VGM song pack...

Talaysen 63
Hunter Sopko 28
Tonfa 24
Grefter 11

Well, that was one sided, I was expecting more people to crack the medal spots. Double Vision Casual superiority, followed by Casual Mono. The higher Monos just aren't competitive at all and nobody's proficient enough with the other modes yet.

Also thanks to all the other participants!
<Niu> If I ever see that Langfadood, i'll strangle him on sight
<Gourry> What, for making the game three times better?
<Gourry> And playable, at that?
<Niu> that lose the whole point of of L2!!!

Ultradude

• White Void, Cold Steel, OUCH FUCKING VAMPIRES
  • Denizen
  • I AM THE etc.etc.etc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2010, 02:44:31 AM »
Audiosurf get!

Anime challenged begin.
"Turning into bats? Laughable!" says sparkly telepathic Volvo-driving vampire who spent century in high school.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2010, 02:17:44 PM »
Put together a challenge and uploading it now but hey just breathing a bit of life into this.  Short 11 tracks, trying to keep it album lenght.  It is pretty much a collection of good music with some tracks you may not have heard before.  I fiddled with the modifiers so everything is at mono only and no stealth or cumulative bonus, but that is mostly just to fiddle around with the modifiers and I thought about not doing it half way through changing all the ID3 tags, but I had already got so far through that I figured why not, may as well mix things up a bit.  There is 2 uphill songs in the list a few spikey ones, but I wouldn't fuck with that.  I tried them with the Steep modifier selected, but it just didn't feel right, all the beats are in the right spots but it just feels more artificial than normal, so hey.

Track list if people want to familliarise themselves with it (?!??!?) is as follows

1. Aphex Twin - Vordhosbn
2. Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - And No More Shall We Part
3. Augie March - Pennywhistle
4. VCR - Do You Wanna Triumph
5. Tom Waits - Earth Died Screaming
6. Ghosts - The World Outside
7. The Coasters - Down in Mexico
8. Einsturzende Neubauten - Abfackeln!
9. My Boy Builds Coffins - Florence + the Machine
10.  The Happy Hollows - High Wire
Bonus track 11. Austrian Death Machine - Get To The Choppa

And so you know I don't have to list them out later.

The idea is that it is pretty short, about album length and you might see something you like in there (maybe?).  If I do more later I won't fuck around with the modifiers and just grab some tracks.  If anyone gives a shit I might throw my music folder on shuffle every now and then and throw out the first 10 tracks it spits out or something.  This one was hand picked though so hopefully it is some pretty alright surfing (assuming the upload works, which I have no confidence in).

Edit - The first 3 tracks are probably the weirdest/most boring surfs.  Track 1 is Aphex Twin so you have break beats and the next 2 are the slow tracks.

http://www.mirrorcreator.com/files/YXKKIA3O/dlacgrefter.rar_links
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 04:42:53 PM by Grefter »

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2010, 02:22:56 AM »
Played through the list. Fun enough in general, some were better as songs then as tracks and some had the opposite going on.

A few thoughts about the track list~

1. Aphex Twin - Vordhosbn: The track for this song threw me off constantly. Very jerky, I swear the speed doesn't stay constant for more then three seconds at a time the entire song.

2. Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - And No More Shall We Part: Decent song, though not really my style. zzzZZZ as a track though.

3. Augie March - Pennywhistle: Like the song quite a bit, this is good stuff. May look into this band a bit more later if I remember.

4. VCR - Do You Wanna Triumph: No real comments on this at all. It's a song. It's a track.

5. Tom Waits - Earth Died Screaming: The track was fun. The song...this dude sounds like a drunken caveman. Is that his normal sound?

6. Ghosts - The World Outside: Good track, better song. Definately my favorite one here that I didn't already have.

7. The Coasters - Down in Mexico: Not a style of music I'm into as a rule. Checking track length, it insists that it's only 3:23, but the track felt like it went on forever when I was playing it.

8. Einsturzende Neubauten - Abfackeln!: ohgodmakeitstop. Dude, what did my ears ever do to you? I finished the track, but it was not exactly pleasant.

9. My Boy Builds Coffins - Florence + the Machine: Florence for godlike, etc. Already had Lungs(and have done the whole album on AudioSurf). Can I ask why you picked Coffins instead of any other song on there?Not that it's a bad choice, mind, I'm just curious.

10. The Happy Hollows - High Wire: Maybe it's just because it came right after the really short Coffins, but this song felt like it went foreeeeeeever as well. Song didn't really leave an impression other then that, though.

Bonus track 11. Austrian Death Machine - Get To The Choppa: Funny(the last couple seconds in particular cracked me up), and the track was fun, but nothing I'd feel a need to listen to outside of AudioSurf.

Anyway, done rambling now.
<%Laggy> no not really.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2010, 02:29:04 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMOjZpyxjg8

Iunno. Guess I just wanted to show a song I liked in Audiosurf.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2010, 08:42:16 AM »
Aphex Twin was picked because Break Beats are -hard-.  The tempo is constant, he really writes stuff to be danceable.  A really good break beat rhythm is all over the place though, chopping on and off at half notes all over the place.

Tom Waits doesn't always sound like that, but he does have a tendency to sound pretty much straight up evil in his newer stuff.  He almost always sounds drunk though.  That is because when he used to sing Piano ballads (with a really nice singing voice) he drank incredibly heavilly (playing clubs a lot) and smoked almost as much.  In the 80s he had destroyed his voice, fell in love with Captain Beefheart and his Magical Band and sings in a similar voice (which was coopted by Beefheart from an old Jazz singer) at this point he also -stopped- drinking.  So early 80s late 70s he will sound at his most drunk and that would be when stuff like The Piano Has Been Drinking came out.  His range musically is pretty broad but almost always downbeat (although the upbeat stuff he has is awesome fun) covering tons of different styles which almost never hit the mainstream.  Great musician.  He has also done a bit of movie stuff, thing you are most likely to know him from is Mystery Men where he plays the crazy guy that they go to when they buy that tank car thing (and other stuff).  One of the most fun discoveries to make, huge backlog of awesome stuff.  Almost a bottomless well to dip from when you want something to listen to when you just want to sit down and chill out.

Einsturzende Neubauten was picked to give you something challenging to listen to, that is what Cinderella Cage was like for me.  I got out of that track so angry.  This track on the other hand I really love.  It is very hard to get into though.  I will use some of their actual approachable stuff next time and I swear it won't damage your ears (but will be made with power tool again, air compressors though, so nothing destructive).

I picked My Boy Builds Coffins because it is a track on there that I knew made for a decent downhill track compared to the other stuff off the album I liked and I didn't feel like surfing for a few hours to make up my mind on a single track. 

Austrian Death Machine just might almost always be my bonus tracks.

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2010, 10:44:25 AM »
Ran through it.  For the most part, I agree with Gatewalker, with some variations I don't feel like quantifying right now because it's 4:30 AM and I'd probably need to run the songs again to actually get a better feel.  I may or may not actually do this.  I'm pretty lazy.

Even if I actually only liked a few of the songs, I do appreciate you putting this together.  Always fun to surf some new stuff.

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2010, 04:48:04 PM »
So decided to finish up and throw my own list out. Here's hoping the download works.

http://www.mediafire.com/?xlommommwkx

Since 11 songs is about the perfect length to play through in one sitting, I'm just snagging the 10+Bonus setup from Gref. Didn't do any special tags on it, though, like the mono only or no stealth stuff.

And here's the track list:

1. 10,000 Maniacs - Eden
2. Counting Crows - Rain King
3. Billy Joel - The Downeaster "Alexa"
4. R.E.M. - I Believe
5. Flogging Molly - The Kilburn High Road
6. Astronaut Wife - Snake Charmer
7. Death Cab For Cutie - We Looked Like Giants
8. Conjure One - Center of the Sun
9. Jars of Clay - Collide
10. Blackmore's Night - Ghost of a Rose
Bonus: Robby Williams - Let Me Entertain You

Enjoy, I hope~
<%Laggy> no not really.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 02, 2010, 08:57:33 AM »
http://www.mirrorcreator.com/files/DMZMXVZX/ao1d12a.rar_links

Random selection of tracks of each CD I bought in the last 2 weeks.  Some were double disc albums or had a bonus disc, so those bands get on there for each disc, because, why not?

No monging with with track titles this time other than (DLAC) tag.  12 tracks.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 18, 2010, 01:19:12 AM »
Figured I'd ressurrect this with a fresh(ish) Anime Audiosurf Challenge! Significantly shorter than the last one, 8 songs plus one SUPER MYSTERY BONUS TRACK! Gonna be mono only this time though!

Like before, the numbers are the track time and the traffic count on Casual

1. Paranoia Agent OP - Yume no Shima Shinen Kouen 3:43  337
2. Baccano OP - Guns & Roses 4:16  232
3. Needless OP1 - Modern Strange Cowboy 4:18  192
4. House of Five Leaves OP - Sign of Love 3:55  180
5. Great Teacher Onizuka OP1 - Driver's High 4:10  169
6. Air Gear OVA ED - Forest Walker 4:36  173
7. Basquash ED2 - Futari no Yakusoku 5:01  214
8. FLCL - Last Dinosaur 3:45  214
9. SUPER MYSTERY BONUS TRACK 2:11  152

http://www.mirrorcreator.com/files/1VYIQINE/Anime_Audiosurf_Challenge_2.rar_links
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 01:24:53 AM by Hunter Sopko »

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 03, 2011, 11:30:28 AM »
http://www.mirrorcreator.com/files/5JN0N3PL/asdf1asd1f15e51.rar_links

Wooooooo another one.

1. Los Campesinos! - Straight In At 101
2. Brunatex - Go Yr Own Way
3. The Pigeon Detectives - Keep On Your Dress
4. Little Dragon - Runabout
5. Grinspoon - Pedestrian
6. Floyd Thursby and the Definite Article - A Trip Across The River
7. Los Campesinos! - This Is How You Spell, "Hahaha, We Destroyed the Hopes and Dreams of a Generation of Faux-Romantics"
8. The Long Blondes - Erin O'Connor

Facts about this pick, all good songs that I have been listening to on and off this year except for Pedestrian, Grinspoon is an old favourite.  None of the tracks were really picked with Surfing in mind, so take that as you will.  All the tracks bar Tracks 3 and 8 are Track 7 from their albums, those were picked for surfibility and just liking the song best from the artist (would have preferred to use I'm Going to Hell for Long Blondes, but didn't feel like editting out the closing hiss).

Hope you enjoy.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 02, 2011, 03:27:23 AM »
So I figured I'd give a chance at ressurecting this. In deference to Grefter, I went with non-anime songs for the most part (though I couldn't help but include one). Some good music, some good surfing tracks, some just funny. Hope you enjoy it.

http://www.mirrorcreator.com/files/1EZAZZGY/Soppy__s_DLAC.rar_links

1. She Wants Revenge - Tear You Apart
2. Square One - 8% Of My Love
3. Sugarbomb - Hello
4. Dragonforce - Black Winter Night
5. Darker Than Black OVA ED - Darker Than Black
6. NOFX - All Outta Angst
7. Electric Dream Machine - Day Man (Fighter of the Night Man)
8. Oasis - To Be Where There Is Life

QuietRain

• Proven real at last
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • My homepage
« Reply #46 on: October 06, 2011, 03:37:22 AM »
Sooooooo...

Gate keeps suggesting that I upload my practice set and see how it goes over.  I usually run this whole set on Mono Pro at least once a week just to keep limber at the game.  It's mostly fast-paced or crowded tracks, but a few are tossed in simply because I like the music.  The rar is about 83megs.

1-Where's Your Head At?-Basement Jaxx from the Tomb Raider soundtrack
2-Always Know Where You Are-BBMak from the Treasure Planet soundtrack
3-Supadupafly-666 from the Techno Party CD
4-Land of a Million Drums-Killer Mike from the Scooby Doo soundtrack (not a hard track, I just like the song)
5-Halloween (Main Title)-Roy Shakked from the Very Scary Movie Music Classic CD (Gate once set me a task of going through the song w/o hitting ANY of the blocks ... still haven't managed that)
6-EVerybody Needs a 303-Fatboy Slim from the Lost in Space soundtrack
7-Maria (I Like It Loud)-Acardipane from a different Techno Party CD
8-Marisa Stol the Precious Thing-One of the two Touhou songs on here because Gate thought I needed more of a challenge, and darned if they're not just fun to run
9-Cegele el Gusto (Catch the Flavor)-Chico Alvarez (It's all in Spanish so I have no idea what they're saying, but I like the rhythm)
10-Amazing-Seal (freaking long song, when I run the whole 14-song set together, by the time this one comes around my wrist usually hates me with a passion)
11-I Talk to The Wind-Opus III
12-Speedballin'-OutKast from the Tomb Raider Soundtrack
13-Cinderella Cage-The other Touhou song on this.  I put it right before the end to keep the fun going.
14-Cyborg Mermaid-Song from the anime Battle Angel Alita, my fave anime.  I just put it in because I like the music.

http://www.mirrorcreator.com/files/0J6R4SP2/Jenna__s_Audiosurf_List.rar_links
"Soul Meets Soul When Eyes Meet Eyes"

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 06, 2011, 01:09:48 PM »
Playing through it now.  Showing your late childhood to early teens in the 90s there bro.

Also I can see that RICHARD bought the new Guano Apes CD recently.

Edit - Okay restarted on Darker than Black because I don't mind the song and fucked up.  Amazing what being after Dragonforce can do to make a song look awesome.  Edit - Trap clean finish with a hill you can't see over bah oh well.  no clean finish.

edit 34r = oasis, still so boring they almost put me to sleep.  Fucked up twice on the run out of zzzzzz.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 01:35:06 PM by Grefter »