Register

Author Topic: ToR - R1Pg: Nene Trolls the Universe  (Read 857 times)

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
ToR - R1Pg: Nene Trolls the Universe
« on: March 15, 2012, 05:06:05 AM »
Results:

36. Adam West (Family Guy) I/IIIII Harry Dresden (Dresden Files) - Winning a War   
37. Trekkie Monster (Avenue Q) IIIII I/I Xorn - Sanity Contest
38. Roland Deschaine (Dark Tower) I/III Waldo (Where's Waldo) - Jogurt Herding   
39. Marv (Sin City) IIII/II Captain Jean-Luc Picard - Craft (Disturbing Mental Image)   
40. Wallace Wells (Scott Pilgrim) II/II Vin (Mistborn) - Being Charlie Brown

41. Belkar Bitterleaf (Order of the Stick) & Mordin Solus (Mass Effect 2) III/II Twilight Sparkle & Kirby - Buddy Cops, Solve Big Case   
42. Foghorn Leghorn & Jay (Kevin Smith Movies) I/I IIIII Faile Bashere (WoT) & Citan Uzuki - Pairs Battle      

Pool G

Match 43

There's something to be said for big guns. Especially when paired with the mad men of science.  Today, we have two of deranged professions facing off against each other, proving which is the best by the application of artillery.

Judge Doom usually has other methods to get what he wants, but this terrifying scourge of Toon Town is not above getting his hands dirty when he has to.  And, unlike most of the competitors here, he's the best equipped to have special ordinance to deal with his opponent.

Dr. Scratchensniff is no stranger to dealing with deranged sociopaths.  It's just that most of the ones he's dealt with have been more inclined to comedy instead of murder. However, with his keen mind and German heritage, he should have some knack for aiming large guns.

Match 44

Live Action Minesweeper is one of those fun tasks where unlike the real thing, stepping on a mine doesn't end you, it just sends you flying and gives you a huge time penalty. This is important as it's the first one done who wins.  Going up for the title this time, we have Sarah Connor, a woman known for her ability to survive when the future is trying to kill her.  Hopefully, some of the skills she's had to learn will translate to flagging mines through math and probability.  Against her is the Mr. Oh Yeah himself, the Cool Aid man, whose skills at minesweeping are unknwon, but whose ability to fly about with abandon and survive smashing into walls is implausibly strong.

Match 45

As much as I wish I had the time to craft a masterful writeup for this one, I don't.  The catagory is, Master Baiting, where the meaning is in your mind. Or your hand. I'm not going to judge.

First up is the wrinkled blue fruit from Blue Dragon who doesn't seem to have anything to do with his immortality and superior tech than troll the world.  Granted, it's full of idiots and probably deserves the trolling, but that really is his reason d'etre.  Whereas other all-powerful folks turn to tyranny, he's staunchly on the side of the lulz.

But his competition is also about being a pretty huge jerk.  Granted, the Scarecrow is hardly the jerkiest of Batman's foes, but he is good at scaring folks, and generally terrorizing folks just for the hell of it.

Match 46

Running for political office is a cornerstone of any democratic system.  And, actually winning is an odd thing where you have to convince enough people that you'd do a good job, without actually saying anything that'll piss them all off.

Rogue comes into this with the definite advantage of being a hero. After all, she's part of the X-Men super team. Of course, this runs into a couple of other issues. Namely, she's a mutant.  And saving humanity doesn't seem to count for much when you can't change the fact that you're in a world that hates and reviles you.  And this is all before we start getting into the issues with shaking hands or kissing babies, and how poorly doing either would end.

Against this is Dr. Wily, who has tried to take over the world with his robotic constructs several times.  But, despite being evil, he's apparently damned good at getting people to agree to stuff.  After all, no matter how many times he tries world conquest, people still give him money, trust, and positions of responcibility.  When trouble strikes, people are more likely to arrest perennial good guy Dr. Light than Wily, when the Cold War is at its height, only Wily can go to Russia. And when Light needs a trusty right hand man for his next utopian scheme, he still ends up hiring Wily.  Every. Single. Time.

Match 47

Look, normally, when you have a competition between someone who's competent in pretty much everything they do, and they go up against a screw up who only has one notable talent, it's pretty easy to see the blowout coming.  But, despite not being about incompetance, this match may still go the other way.  After all, the task here is to frighten small children.  And on the one hand, you have Bubbles, Cuddly Defender of Youth, and Don Paolo, the rival of Professor Layton who's frightened both of the small children who hang out with the Professor, and more to the point, is just plain creepy.

Match 48

Manliness is more than actions, it's a state of being. It is not something that can be put into words, it simply is.

Our first competitor has a bit of a head start, on account of being a man.  That said, Dr. Hans Clamp is a scientist, so he may not actually qualify as manly.

Meanwhile, Edna...  is disturbingly plausible.  Brain bleach requestingly plausible.

Match 49

And finally, we get to our final match of Round 1.  Competitive Blogging.

Since I don't know who Dimitri Blinov is, I won't say much about the Sheriff of Rottingham either. Except that anyone written by Mel Brooks would probably have awesome blog updates, especially if they're bitching about the most recent humiliations Robin Hood has inflicted upon you.

Quick Vote Form:

43. Judge Doom vs. Dr. Scratchensniff - Artillery Duel
44. Sarah Connor vs. Kool Aid Man - Live Action Minesweeper
45. Nene (Blue Dragon) vs. Scarecrow (Batman) - Master Baiting
46. Dr. Wily vs. Rogue (X-Men) -  Run for Political Office
47. Blossom (PPG) vs. Don Paolo (Prof. Layton) - Frightning Small Children
48. Edna (WA:XF) vs. Dr. Hans Clamp (Parasite Eve) - Manliness Contest
49. Dimitri Blinov (Castlevania) vs. Sheriff of Rottingham (RH:MiT) - Competitive Blogging

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
Re: ToR - R1Pg: Nene Trolls the Universe
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 07:09:54 AM »
43. Judge Doom vs. Dr. Scratchensniff - Artillery Duel

Doom is a cartoon character (uh spoilers I guess) which lets him pull all sorts of improbably large heavy artillery out of his ass whenever he wants. Scratchensniff is, to be fair, one as well, but I have no memory of him doing anything like this. Not enough of a supervillain I guess. My memory of both admittedly could be better so I could be argued!

I have to assume the action movie star has an edge in this. Kool Aid Man I am more inclined to see losing in a comical fashion.

Both of these guys are great at baiting people and are high-tier in this. Nene just has the tools to do so on a much more epic scope, and does so regularly.

Okay, let's review here. Dr. Wily is an old, hateful, incredibly rich white man. I don't want to be too cynical here but you must admit that pretty much fits the profile of your average elected official. Sure, he has some shady dealings in his past, but he seems to get exhonerated from this every few months anyway, and it's not like he was proven to have had a homosexual affair or have smoked dope or anything, so I'm sure he can buy the electorate's forgiveness. Rogue, meanwhile, is both young and female, not to mention she might kill any babies she has to kiss. And mutants are pretty much unelectable in the Xmenverse, I'm pretty sure.

47. Blossom (PPG) vs. Don Paolo (Prof. Layton) - Frightning Small Children

Um well Blossom seems like she'd be unfit for this, but not like I know anything about the opponent.

I'll pass.

49. Dimitri Blinov (Castlevania) vs. Sheriff of Rottingham (RH:MiT) - Competitive Blogging

Rottingham has a goldmine to draw upon as a blogger. He has to deal with the antics of Robin Hood and has an insight into the doings of England's king. Not to mention by the end of the movie he can go into gory detail of how he is dominated of by an old hag, and you better believe there are people into that. Toss in a cute gimmick of transposing words and he'll build up quite an internet following.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 08:44:01 AM »
43. Judge Doom vs. Dr. Scratchensniff - Artillery Duel - man that gun Doom uses in the movie counts as a cannon, for starters.
44. Sarah Connor vs. Kool Aid Man - Live Action Minesweeper -  Every one of the Kool Aid Man's instincts works against him here.  Sarah meanwhile is an insane survivalist who probably knows something about properly detecting and safely detonating/avoiding mines.
46. Dr. Wily vs. Rogue (X-Men) -  Run for Political Office - A ga...er, MUTANT woman could never win a modern election.  We're centuries away from that.
47. Blossom (PPG) vs. Don Paolo (Prof. Layton) - Frightning Small Children - y'know, I could see either of her sisters winning this (Buttercup honestly, Bubbles by just asking the kids to pretend to be scared) but Blossom is entirely too straight laced.  Don Paolo is too foppish to be very scary, but he'll try at least.
48. Edna (WA:XF) vs. Dr. Hans Clamp (Parasite Eve) - Manliness Contest - I will spare you my reasoning for this outcome.
49. Dimitri Blinov (Castlevania) vs. Sheriff of Rottingham (RH:MiT) - Competitive Blogging - Horrific mismatch.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 11:48:06 PM »
Minesweeping seems the type of thing Sarah would be good at, if she can pretend that she's breaking the security on some Cybernet installation.  Kool Aid Man is too brave, and even if he's technically invincible, I have to imagine that being launched into the air is unavoidably causing *massive* "blood" loss as his precious Kool-Aid spews everywhere.  He's going to be even woozier than usual for a contestant after a single failure.
Don't know Nene, but Scarecrow is pretty good at both senses of master baiting, I imagine.
Now now CK, remember, the X-Men were originally about race in disguise, and we've elected a number of non-White politicians as well as gay politicians too.  There's even a single atheist in Congress.  I imagine mutant acceptance is only ~20 years or so around the corner, especially since they tend to keep saving the world.  That said, of all the mutants, Rogue is uniquely unqualified for the task, given how she may well accidentally kill everyone, or else campaign in some kind of giant shroud all the time, which would raise eyebrows.
Edna thinks she's a grand dame.  She also fights in a distinctly unmanly way - begging for forgiveness and surrendering whenever her lackies get defeated, then running away.  A REAL MAN would fight it out to the bitter end then die, like in the Dirty Dozen (the generally accepted source for what manliness entails).

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 11:30:36 PM »
43. Judge Doom vs. Dr. Scratchensniff - Artillery Duel - man that gun Doom uses in the movie counts as a cannon, for starters.
44. Sarah Connor vs. Kool Aid Man - Live Action Minesweeper -  Every one of the Kool Aid Man's instincts works against him here.  Sarah meanwhile is an insane survivalist who probably knows something about properly detecting and safely detonating/avoiding mines.
46. Dr. Wily vs. Rogue (X-Men) -  Run for Political Office - A ga...er, MUTANT woman could never win a modern election.  We're centuries away from that.
47. Blossom (PPG) vs. Don Paolo (Prof. Layton) - Frightning Small Children - y'know, I could see either of her sisters winning this (Buttercup honestly, Bubbles by just asking the kids to pretend to be scared) but Blossom is entirely too straight laced.  Don Paolo is too foppish to be very scary, but he'll try at least.
48. Edna (WA:XF) vs. Dr. Hans Clamp (Parasite Eve) - Manliness Contest - I will spare you my reasoning for this outcome.
49. Dimitri Blinov (Castlevania) vs. Sheriff of Rottingham (RH:MiT) - Competitive Blogging - Horrific mismatch.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2012, 09:16:31 PM »

47. Blossom (PPG) vs. Don Paolo (Prof. Layton) - Frightning Small Children - I don't even know who Don Paolo is but Blossom is literally the worst at this.