Author Topic: Plot POWAH Week 2  (Read 2242 times)

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
Plot POWAH Week 2
« on: November 20, 2012, 07:58:47 AM »
Divine Beings

Kefka Palazzo (Final Fantasy VI) vs Nyarlathotep (Persona 2)
Vergil (SaGa Frontier) vs Ultimecia (Final Fantasy VIII)
Lenneth Valkyrie (Valkyrie Profile Series) vs Archangel Flonne (Disgaea 4: A Promise Unforgotten)
Ashunera (Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn) vs Cthulhu (Cthulhu Saves the World)

Superhumans

Tir McDohl (Suikoden) vs Yuri Hyuga (Shadow Hearts Series)
T260G (SaGa Frontier) vs Katrina Lianne Elesius (Wild ARMs XF)
Belial (Wild ARMs 4) vs Vayne Aurelius (Mana Khemia: Alchemists of Al-Revis)
Altima (Final Fantasy Tactics) vs Aya Brea (Parasite Eve)

Warriors

Magdalen Harts (Wild ARMs: Alter Code F) vs Delita Hyral (Final Fantasy Tactics)
Flay Gunnar (Mana Khemia Series) vs Cliff Fittir (Star Ocean: Till the End of Time)
Karel (Fire Emblem Series) vs Raquel Applegate (Wild ARMs 4)
Squall Leonhart (Final Fantasy VIII) vs Aelia (Valkyrie Profile)

Civilians

Ryogo Kusama (Front Mission 3) vs Gina (SaGa Frontier)
Ryotaro Dojima (Persona 4) vs Anastasia Romanov (Shadow Hearts: Covenant)
Edward Chris von Muir (Final Fantasy IV) vs Arnaud G. Vasquez (Wild ARMs 4)
Nanako Dojima (Persona 4) vs Tengaar (Suikoden Series)

CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: Plot POWAH Week 2
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 04:08:31 PM »
Divine Beings

Kefka Palazzo (Final Fantasy VI) vs Nyarlathotep (Persona 2) - been too long since I've played P2
Vergil (SaGa Frontier) vs Ultimecia (Final Fantasy VIII) - Kneejerk, sure. Vergil plot power still hard to gauge, but I'm not convinced Ulti has alot of power outside of her Time Compressed World, so.
Lenneth Valkyrie (Valkyrie Profile Series) vs Archangel Flonne (Disgaea 4: A Promise Unforgotten) - Not far enough in Dis4 to vote on this form of Flonne against anyone other then Laharl.
Ashunera (Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn) vs Cthulhu (Cthulhu Saves the World) - Cthulu turns the world insane! Ashunera turns all the insane people to stone. Cthulu realises he really can't one up that.

Superhumans

Tir McDohl (Suikoden) vs Yuri Hyuga (Shadow Hearts Series) - I think Tir's a straight up better fighter then Yuri, if the latter doesn't transform. If he does....then Tir goes "holy shit a demon!" and does not hesitate to open up the Soul Eater. And that's game.
Belial (Wild ARMs 4) vs Vayne Aurelius (Mana Khemia: Alchemists of Al-Revis) - Hmm, Vayne has less control over his powers is a valid argument for this one.
Altima (Final Fantasy Tactics) vs Aya Brea (Parasite Eve) - Not really sure either way, Kneejerk for now, if anyone has arguments otherwise then I may switch.

Warriors

Magdalen Harts (Wild ARMs: Alter Code F) vs Delita Hyral (Final Fantasy Tactics) - Hmm. Keejerk. Delita's hardly a chump in a fight, think he might just win outright without needing any tricks here. Tough match for him, but I want to call it his fight to lose.
Flay Gunnar (Mana Khemia Series) vs Cliff Fittir (Star Ocean: Till the End of Time) - This is awesome, and I could so see those two ending up in some kind of rivalry. Want to say Cliff has the edge in a straight fight, even with as strong as Flay is. And Flay will face him in a straight fight sooner or later, since the big confrontation is part of the whole Hero/Villian game.
Karel (Fire Emblem Series) vs Raquel Applegate (Wild ARMs 4) - Karel's an amazing swordfighter. Raquel is flat better. And he's not the kind of person she'd feel any reason to refrain from killing, I think.
Squall Leonhart (Final Fantasy VIII) vs Aelia (Valkyrie Profile) - Squall's a badass. Don't see him taking on someone I voted over Beatrix. His team could do it. Him alone, no.

Civilians

Ryotaro Dojima (Persona 4) vs Anastasia Romanov (Shadow Hearts: Covenant) - Pretty sure she can swing some kind of legal immunity to his cop powers(or, you know, just ignore him), and that leaves us with demon camera thing vs. competent normal dude.
Edward Chris von Muir (Final Fantasy IV) vs Arnaud G. Vasquez (Wild ARMs 4) - Kneejerk that there's nothing stopping Arnaud from just...well, beating Edward up.
Nanako Dojima (Persona 4) vs Tengaar (Suikoden Series) - Tengaar isn't going to beat up a kid. She will however take said kid home and read Dojima or Yu the riot act for letting her get near where a bunch of dangerous people are fighting.
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 04:14:36 PM »
Divine Beings

Kefka Palazzo (Final Fantasy VI) vs Nyarlathotep (Persona 2) - Kefka's one of the few characters who actually has "Destroyed the World" on resume, not to mention doing it while people were actively trying to stop him and getting to see it happen on-screen and not in flashback. That's enough to beat Nyarlie's rumors-become-true powers.
Vergil (SaGa Frontier) vs Ultimecia (Final Fantasy VIII) - Following my logic with Kefka here, Ultimecia actually manages to start compressing time and space down to a single point on-screen, whereas Vergil's nigh-immortality is about all we see him display of his powers.
Lenneth Valkyrie (Valkyrie Profile Series) vs Archangel Flonne (Disgaea 4: A Promise Unforgotten) - Well, at least Flonne has a giant robot. I will sum up all arguments on this match now: "Creation Goddess..."
Ashunera (Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn) vs Cthulhu (Cthulhu Saves the World) - Petrify the World just slightly beats out Insanify the World.

Superhumans

Tir McDohl (Suikoden) vs Yuri Hyuga (Shadow Hearts Series) - True Rune bearers probably belong with Deities to me. Admittedly, so does Yuri, but Tir spoils most mortals.
T260G (SaGa Frontier) vs Katrina Lianne Elesius (Wild ARMs XF) - Awaiting arguments.
Belial (Wild ARMs 4) vs Vayne Aurelius (Mana Khemia: Alchemists of Al-Revis) - Oh crap, this is a damn good matchup. Vayne's power as a manufactured Mana of Wishing is apparently pretty hard for him to control and use offensively, but it's shown several times throughout the game to activate when he's under duress. Belial's powers of locking him in a pocket dimension are pretty much tailor-made for giving him the right amount of fear, danger, and time to cause him to wish himself out to safety. I think, ultimately, Belial has more control over her powers, but Vayne may survive long enough to... I dunno get her to fall for him? He seems pretty good at it in his home game, and Belial does seem to have that co-dependent personality that would for someone like him. This is a weird match up of tropes. Even ignoring tropes, he's a powerful enough fighter and alchemist that simply negating Belial's main trick with his Wishing powers is enough for him to overpower her. Awaiting other arguments.
Altima (Final Fantasy Tactics) vs Aya Brea (Parasite Eve) - Aya has no problems killing angels, but she might hesitate to kill a little girl while Altima's possessing her.

Warriors

Magdalen Harts (Wild ARMs: Alter Code F) vs Delita Hyral (Final Fantasy Tactics) - Magdalen is too honorable to handle Delita.
Flay Gunnar (Mana Khemia Series) vs Cliff Fittir (Star Ocean: Till the End of Time) - Match invalid, they are the same person.
Karel (Fire Emblem Series) vs Raquel Applegate (Wild ARMs 4) - my argument boils down to "Raquel's handled worse."
Squall Leonhart (Final Fantasy VIII) vs Aelia (Valkyrie Profile) - Again, not inclined to give Einherjar any special deity consideration since they aren't as special in-game as they are in-mythology, but Aelia has that neat Dragon trick. Squall is definitely a contender, but I generally kneejerk him as a pretty typical human while Aelia feels like she could play in Superhuman.

Civilians

Ryogo Kusama (Front Mission 3) vs Gina (SaGa Frontier) - I don't know FM3, but I'm voting Gina because she becomes one of Asellus' queens in the demon ending, and WhiteRose/LionPrincess/Rei are at least Warrior-level.
Ryotaro Dojima (Persona 4) vs Anastasia Romanov (Shadow Hearts: Covenant) - Even assuming Anastasia didn't have her camera, Dojima is not attacking anyone who is that close to Nanako's age.
Edward Chris von Muir (Final Fantasy IV) vs Arnaud G. Vasquez (Wild ARMs 4) - Pays him off. Arnaud is basically a mercenary and the stakes of this fight aren't so dire that Arnaud has any reason not to just throw the fight.
Nanako Dojima (Persona 4) vs Tengaar (Suikoden Series) - Tengaar might be willing to punish Nanako? But then, Nanako would have to have done something wrong to warrant it. In the end, Tengaar's not going to hurt a little girl.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2012, 04:20:03 PM »
Nanako Dojima (Persona 4) vs Tengaar (Suikoden Series) - Tengaar might be willing to punish Nanako? But then, Nanako would have to have done something wrong to warrant it. In the end, Tengaar's not going to hurt a little girl.

I'm not so sure. Tengaar's demonstrated personality in the Suikos depicts her as pretty much a bitch. >_>

(Granted, not even sure why I'm talking, it's not like I'm gonna -vote-)
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 04:26:29 PM by Jo'ou Ranbu »
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2012, 04:28:17 PM »

I'm not so sure. Tengaar's demonstrated personality in the Suikos depicts her as pretty much a bitch. >_>

She's depicted as a bitch to -Hix-. And only to Hix. It's how she shows her love.

Nephrite

• Denizen
  • President of the Great United States of America
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2012, 04:57:16 PM »
Divine Beings

Kefka Palazzo (Final Fantasy VI) vs Nyarlathotep (Persona 2) - Kefka destroys the world, Nyarlie makes another one. Or, Nyarlie starts rumors that Kefka can't do anything.
Vergil (SaGa Frontier) vs Ultimecia (Final Fantasy VIII) - High tier Mystics are a thing.
Lenneth Valkyrie (Valkyrie Profile Series) vs Archangel Flonne (Disgaea 4: A Promise Unforgotten) - uhhh...

Superhumans

Tir McDohl (Suikoden) vs Yuri Hyuga (Shadow Hearts Series) - I feel like Yuri is uniquely qualified to deal with something like Soul Eater. If all else fails he brings a bear.
Belial (Wild ARMs 4) vs Vayne Aurelius (Mana Khemia: Alchemists of Al-Revis)

Warriors

Magdalen Harts (Wild ARMs: Alter Code F) vs Delita Hyral (Final Fantasy Tactics)
Flay Gunnar (Mana Khemia Series) vs Cliff Fittir (Star Ocean: Till the End of Time)

Civilians

Ryotaro Dojima (Persona 4) vs Anastasia Romanov (Shadow Hearts: Covenant) - Dojima isn't fighting a kid.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2012, 05:02:23 PM »

She's depicted as a bitch to -Hix-. And only to Hix. It's how she shows her love.

Now I have to wonder if she ever interacts with anyone else.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2012, 08:21:12 PM »
Lenneth Valkyrie (Valkyrie Profile Series) vs Archangel Flonne (Disgaea 4: A Promise Unforgotten)
I have not played D4 but if Djinn is voting this way, I would be utterly shocked if Flonne has a shot here short of a drastic change in personality.
Ashera might turn the world to stone, but Ashunera floods the world (the one thing we do know about Ashunera).  Cthulhu chills in Ry'leh, a city beneath the sea, and the Deep Ones are his followers.  I'm pretty sure this kind of world remodeling works more to Cthulhu's benefit than Ashunera's.  Additionally, it's not entirely clear, but it seems that Ashera's stone spell didn't affect the branded.  While CSTW isn't Lovecraft, in actual Lovecraft, corruption of blood is a huge thing and Innsmouth has a bunch of mixed-race human / Deep One crossbreeds (even if in CSTW, naughty Dagon has stolen Cthulhu's cult.  Whatever, he takes it back.).

Superhumans

Similar raw power, each can mess the other up good.  However, both the Suikoden games and SH2 have ideas about will & force of personality being important.  While Suiko silent mains are always praised to the high heavens for their awesomeness, it's a lot easier to sell me on Yuri's particular brand of never-give-up since he has lines.
This boils down to "do Zodiac Demons have mitochondria post-transformation."  Considering that mitochondria is roughly associated with living cells, and the Zodiac demons are trapped in crystals and return from past time, I'm inclined to think that the main Zodiac Demon-ness part of Altima is just a bunch of magic that has nothing to do with the form it takes.  It's a fair fight if Altima has mitochondria, but a blowout if she doesn't, so yeah.

Warriors

Flip a coin, in plot power these are identical.  Raquel has the Hugo cutscene in her favor, Karel has surviving 2 deadly wars.  They fight to a draw, then Karel wins by default 10 years later.
My Aelia plot power respect is pretty high, but so is my Squall respect.  He beats up Dinosaurs for fun EARLY in his career and moves on to dragons later, and GFs are a comparable power boost to having to deal with undying infused holy warriors.

Civilians

Arnaud in Civilians.
Tengaar in Civilians.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2012, 01:34:08 AM »
Divine Beings

Vergil (SaGa Frontier) vs Ultimecia (Final Fantasy VIII): Vergil doesn't actually DO much that I recall.
Lenneth Valkyrie (Valkyrie Profile Series) vs Archangel Flonne (Disgaea 4: A Promise Unforgotten): sure
Ashunera (Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn) vs Cthulhu (Cthulhu Saves the World): Oh wow, yeah, mass petrification not working on Cthulhu's followers + whatever @ flooding means Cthulhu spoils.

Superhumans

Tir McDohl (Suikoden) vs Yuri Hyuga (Shadow Hearts Series): Close one. I'm a bit more convinced by the Tir arguments though.
T260G (SaGa Frontier) vs Katrina Lianne Elesius (Wild ARMs XF): Katrina belongs in Divine, T2 not so much. Thaaaat said, T2 might spoil her somewhat since T2 can't feel fear. Of course, Katrina is immortal and may just bash T2 into oblivion unless you want to argue that T2 will last long enough to send Katrina into self-doubt... which is possible.
Belial (Wild ARMs 4) vs Vayne Aurelius (Mana Khemia: Alchemists of Al-Revis): Vayne/Gawn was very close to me, Belial's another tier above Gawn, so.

Warriors

Magdalen Harts (Wild ARMs: Alter Code F) vs Delita Hyral (Final Fantasy Tactics): Again, this isn't bad as a straight fight, which means Delita's craftiness pushes him over the top.
Flay Gunnar (Mana Khemia Series) vs Cliff Fittir (Star Ocean: Till the End of Time): Just more physically imposing. Plus, Cliff feels like the type of Real Hero to whom supervillain Flay might be willing to lose.
Karel (Fire Emblem Series) vs Raquel Applegate (Wild ARMs 4): Hugo cutscene probably tilts this, for all that it's close.
Squall Leonhart (Final Fantasy VIII) vs Aelia (Valkyrie Profile): Pretty easy. To Snowfire: uh, I think trying to hype the scale of Squall's opponents is a losing cause as VP einherjar go toe-to-toe with vampires and (which I'd place above dinosurs) at level 1, dragons which impress me more than FF8's almost immediately after, and move onto deities by the game's end. GFs are pretty cool but the lack of use in cutscenes makes me assume their plot power doesn't match their gameplay power (they'd only need to be like a 25% boost in performance to be really awesome for a soldier, not the 500% boost or whatever gameplay claims). Squall was out of his league solo against Edea as such it feels like a high-end einherjar would be too much for him.

Civilians

Edward Chris von Muir (Final Fantasy IV) vs Arnaud G. Vasquez (Wild ARMs 4): Arnaud in Civilians. Ooh, next week should be good.
Nanako Dojima (Persona 4) vs Tengaar (Suikoden Series): No P4 so no vote, but the idea that Tengaar who is a bit of a bitch and a strong streak of determination would forfeit when faced with a child is a bit of a stretch.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2012, 03:16:58 AM »
Divine Beings

Kefka Palazzo (Final Fantasy VI) vs Nyarlathotep (Persona 2) - Sure.
Lenneth Valkyrie (Valkyrie Profile Series) vs Archangel Flonne (Disgaea 4: A Promise Unforgotten) - um yeah.
Ashunera (Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn) vs Cthulhu (Cthulhu Saves the World) - I'll bite.

Superhumans

Altima (Final Fantasy Tactics) vs Aya Brea (Parasite Eve) - what the crap.

Warriors

Squall Leonhart (Final Fantasy VIII) vs Aelia (Valkyrie Profile) - hearty whatever to both of these

Civilians

Ryogo Kusama (Front Mission 3) vs Gina (SaGa Frontier) - guy who does more or less nothing versus girl who literally does nothing.  be still my heart.
Edward Chris von Muir (Final Fantasy IV) vs Arnaud G. Vasquez (Wild ARMs 4) - oh man oh man
Nanako Dojima (Persona 4) vs Tengaar (Suikoden Series) - What Gate said.

MalcolmMasher

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2012, 06:07:52 AM »
Divine Beings

Vergil (SaGa Frontier) vs Ultimecia (Final Fantasy VIII) - Ultimecia kompresses time. TimeLord's realm breaks. Adventurers, enabled by Vergil, fix TimeLord's realm and undo Ultimecia's plan. Not-Loser: Vergil.

Superhumans

Altima (Final Fantasy Tactics) vs Aya Brea (Parasite Eve) Altima is too much like Eve for me to bother thinking about this.

Warriors

Magdalen Harts (Wild ARMs: Alter Code F) vs Delita Hyral (Final Fantasy Tactics) - Backstabbery!
Karel (Fire Emblem Series) vs Raquel Applegate (Wild ARMs 4) - Close fight. I'm leaning Raquel because of the Hugo scene.

Civilians

Edward Chris von Muir (Final Fantasy IV) vs Arnaud G. Vasquez (Wild ARMs 4) - Arnaud can be bought or bribed, that's true... but he's far too proud to take a fall against Edward.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2012, 09:25:03 AM »
Divine Beings

Kefka Palazzo (Final Fantasy VI) vs Nyarlathotep(Persona 2) - Kefka meets Nyarlie, from there on Kefka will be screaming VOICES!! VOICES!! for the rest of his life. Serious, Kefka is the type of people Nyarlie would have no difficulty in contaminating.
Vergil (SaGa Frontier) vs Ultimecia (Final Fantasy VIII) - Ulty tries to compress time? Vergil just need to dump her into Time Lord's realm.
Lenneth Valkyrie (Valkyrie Profile Series) vs Archangel Flonne (Disgaea 4: A Promise Unforgotten) - And here comes another one sided slaughter.
Ashunera (Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn) vs Cthulhu(Cthulhu Saves the World) - And another

Superhumans

Tir McDohl (Suikoden) vs Yuri Hyuga (Shadow Hearts Series) - Hey, a really really closed fight. Seraphic Radiance is actually good enough to deal with a True Rune, but too bad Yuri himself is a mortal.
T260G (SaGa Frontier) vs Katrina Lianne Elesius (Wild ARMs XF) - As the Disaster of Fear, its power is already narrowed enough, and it is facing off something its power has absolutely no affect on? Hahaha....
Belial (Wild ARMs 4) vs Vayne Aurelius (Mana Khemia: Alchemists of Al-Revis) - And here is the one side slaughter of the division.
Altima (Final Fantasy Tactics) vs Aya Brea (Parasite Eve) - Do I believe the Lucavis have any mitochondria? I say no.

Warriors

Karel (Fire Emblem Series) vs Raquel Applegate (Wild ARMs 4) - Raquel has actually demonstrated better feats.

Civilians

Ryotaro Dojima (Persona 4) vs Anastasia Romanov (Shadow Hearts: Covenant) - Dojima requires our pity here, this is like a bad joke to him.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 07:14:48 AM by Niu »

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2012, 03:56:40 PM »

Superhumans

Tir McDohl (Suikoden) vs Yuri Hyuga (Shadow Hearts Series)- Yuri does have some plot resistance to the closest thing to Soul Eater in SH1. I donno.
Belial (Wild ARMs 4) vs Vayne Aurelius (Mana Khemia: Alchemists of Al-Revis)- Vayne's powers are pretty godlike, but Belial's are nuts as well.
Altima (Final Fantasy Tactics) vs Aya Brea (Parasite Eve)- Yeah, Altima is close enough to Eve in power where I lean this way.

Warriors

Flay Gunnar (Mana Khemia Series) vs Cliff Fittir (Star Ocean: Till the End of Time)- Cliff strikes me as more competent.
Karel (Fire Emblem Series) vs Raquel Applegate (Wild ARMs 4)- For all of Karel's loserdom as a character, he is given quite a lot of plot hype. Think it's enough to trump over a terminally ill swordswoman.
Squall Leonhart (Final Fantasy VIII) vs Aelia (Valkyrie Profile)- I'm not inclined to give Aelia's divinity much credit here, she is just a foot soldier. Squall is at least somewhat effective both as a military commander and fighter.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2012, 04:40:28 PM »
Divine Beings

No Votes

Superhumans

Tir McDohl (Suikoden) vs Yuri Hyuga (Shadow Hearts Series): Yuri has proven vulnerable to soul-based curses despite his power, and Yuri does not possess superhuman enough speed to stop Tir from using it. Works for me.

Belial (Wild ARMs 4) vs Vayne Aurelius (Mana Khemia: Alchemists of Al-Revis): Hmmmm. Not sure yet.

Warriors

Karel (Fire Emblem Series) vs Raquel Applegate (Wild ARMs 4): I'll go with the Hugo fight argument here. Hugo speed feats appear to generally be a class above Fire Emblem speed feats plotwise.

Squall Leonhart (Final Fantasy VIII) vs Aelia (Valkyrie Profile): Mmm. Did the Einherjar ever really demonstrate out of gameplay capabilities? I'm not really sure I buy Dreaded Dragon arguments.

Civilians

Ryotaro Dojima (Persona 4) vs Anastasia Romanov (Shadow Hearts: Covenant): Need to decide how much plot cred the camera deserves.

Edward Chris von Muir (Final Fantasy IV) vs Arnaud G. Vasquez (Wild ARMs 4): Sure, I'll buy the "Arnaud in Civilians" argument.

Nanako Dojima (Persona 4) vs Tengaar (Suikoden Series): Nanako should not have made it past Teta.

Lance

• Groovy~
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • My Foxkei profile
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2012, 05:20:56 AM »
Divine Beings
Vergil (SaGa Frontier) vs Ultimecia (Final Fantasy VIII)

Superhumans

Warriors

Civilians
Ryotaro Dojima (Persona 4) vs Anastasia Romanov (Shadow Hearts: Covenant)

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2012, 09:17:40 AM »
Snowfire's Argument on Ashunera v. Cthulhu is brilliant and I'm changing my vote to Cthulhu.

Also made a decision on Belial v. Vayne. I think they're fairly evenly matched in terms of raw power. Belial has more control, but Vayne's limited control specifically spoils Belial's main tricks. Leaning towards Hero > Villain for Plot Powers. Vayne.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2012, 07:08:12 AM »
Squall Leonhart (Final Fantasy VIII) vs Aelia (Valkyrie Profile): Mmm. Did the Einherjar ever really demonstrate out of gameplay capabilities? I'm not really sure I buy Dreaded Dragon arguments.

All we can really say about einherjar in general is that all three VP games note them to be hand-picked as the finest warriors out there. That alone feels competitive with a GF-using SeeD to me, and "can turn into a dragon" is an ability she has in plot as well as gameplay, so it deserves at least some credit.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Cmdr_King

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2012, 05:24:33 AM »
Divine Beings

Kefka Palazzo (Final Fantasy VI) vs Nyarlathotep (Persona 2)- Laaaaaaassserrrrr.
Vergil (SaGa Frontier) vs Ultimecia (Final Fantasy VIII)- Like I said last week, I think some of Ultimecias more impressive feats only work under time kompression.
Lenneth Valkyrie (Valkyrie Profile Series) vs Archangel Flonne (Disgaea 4: A Promise Unforgotten)- No vote.

Superhumans

Tir McDohl (Suikoden) vs Yuri Hyuga (Shadow Hearts Series)- So my thinking here is Tir's not quick enough on the draw to kill Yuri before he transforms. And that he's not willing to tap into the Soul Eater enough to take down the Seraphic Radiance.
T260G (SaGa Frontier) vs Katrina Lianne Elesius (Wild ARMs XF)- Mmm.  Spoiled?  Yeah, spoiled.
Belial (Wild ARMs 4) vs Vayne Aurelius (Mana Khemia: Alchemists of Al-Revis)- Oddly I think the way Belial fights plays into Vayne's inability to control his powers.  Maybe I'm weird.

Warriors

Squall Leonhart (Final Fantasy VIII) vs Aelia (Valkyrie Profile)- I give about as much credit to GFs as I do Einherjar being gods.  Which is to say both are outside the scope of thsi tourney.  Squall's pretty badass anyway though, and cool headed enough to handle the whole dragon thing.

Civilians

Ryogo Kusama (Front Mission 3) vs Gina (SaGa Frontier)- No vote.
Ryotaro Dojima (Persona 4) vs Anastasia Romanov (Shadow Hearts: Covenant)- Diplomatic immunity.
Nanako Dojima (Persona 4) vs Tengaar (Suikoden Series)- Would hit a little girl.

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Cmdr_King

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2012, 05:26:47 AM »
Divine Beings

Kefka Palazzo (Final Fantasy VI)- ii vs Nyarlathotep (Persona 2)- iii
Vergil (SaGa Frontier)- iiiii vs Ultimecia (Final Fantasy VIII)- iii
Lenneth Valkyrie (Valkyrie Profile Series)- iiiiii vs Archangel Flonne (Disgaea 4: A Promise Unforgotten)
Ashunera (Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn)- iii vs Cthulhu (Cthulhu Saves the World)- iiii

Superhumans

Tir McDohl (Suikoden)- iiiiii vs Yuri Hyuga (Shadow Hearts Series)- iiii
T260G (SaGa Frontier)- ii vs Katrina Lianne Elesius (Wild ARMs XF)
Belial (Wild ARMs 4)- iiii vs Vayne Aurelius (Mana Khemia: Alchemists of Al-Revis)- i
Altima (Final Fantasy Tactics)- iiiii vs Aya Brea (Parasite Eve)- iiiii [00:26] <Hatbot> Go for Bloody Angel, CmdrKing.

Warriors

Magdalen Harts (Wild ARMs: Alter Code F)- i vs Delita Hyral (Final Fantasy Tactics)- iiiii
Flay Gunnar (Mana Khemia Series) vs Cliff Fittir (Star Ocean: Till the End of Time)- iiiii
Karel (Fire Emblem Series)- ii vs Raquel Applegate (Wild ARMs 4)- iiiiiiii
Squall Leonhart (Final Fantasy VIII)- iii vs Aelia (Valkyrie Profile)- iiiiii

Civilians

Ryogo Kusama (Front Mission 3)- i vs Gina (SaGa Frontier)- i [00:24] <Tide> Ryogo negative plot power vote
Ryotaro Dojima (Persona 4) vs Anastasia Romanov (Shadow Hearts: Covenant)- iiiiii
Edward Chris von Muir (Final Fantasy IV)- i vs Arnaud G. Vasquez (Wild ARMs 4)- iiiiiiiii
Nanako Dojima (Persona 4)- i vs Tengaar (Suikoden Series)- iiiiiii