Register

Author Topic: Shift Tourney: Finals  (Read 1898 times)

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Shift Tourney: Finals
« on: July 21, 2013, 10:02:50 PM »
"What?!  This is...  impossible.  How could we be defeated?!"  Lucina & Clarissa were led into the heart of Dinopolis in chains.

"Well, it didn't help when Marle was anticlimactically killed off-screen.  And then Eruca suddenly disappeared in a puff of paradox - maybe she was killed in an earlier time?  But how could anyone have known where in time to look?  Unless...  unless..."

They finally entered the vast grand hall, the seat of evil's power.  Here must be where the leader of the enemy lay, yet there only sat a strange girl whose hair color at first appeared to be purple or blue, but then sometimes changed to blonde...  riding a Time Devourer.  "Unless you were BETRAYED, you mean?!  Mwahaha!  Not all time-travelling princesses fight for good!  You see, when the Lavos shard entered Chronopolis, they realized the only way to prevail would be to install the Six Great Dinosaur spirits into the mainframe and deploy them throughout time, but they didn't count on the Reptite's counterattack virus which made the robot warriors malfunction, but then Lynx" [TWENTY MINUTES OF CHRONO CROSS PLOT RAMBLING SNIPPED FOR YOUR SANITY] "...and in conclusion, all of you have LOST in the DL tournament, and so now I will rule both the dimensions and all the eras!  Hahaha!  Watch as I show my power by having this Time Devourer devour an entire week's worth of matches to speed up my conquest!"

Schala's words fell on deaf ears, though.  Lucina & Clarissa had long since passed out from the mental overload of trying to keep Schala's complicated tale of clones, robots, Serge's DNA, dinosaurs, straight.  4 Rex series bots dragged them to their cells, where they would wait for rescue as helpless damsels in distress...  the eternal risk of princesshood.

--

As noted above, due to the delays from my vacation + running out of time + Time Devourer, just doing all the matches this week rather than having a very tiny finals week next of 2 matches bleeding into the various tournies cropping up now.  It's still way fewer matches this week than the first 3 week's matches, anyway.  For the two lower divisions, the first 2 matches are the semifinals, and the last 4 matches are the potential final matches; treat 'em as a pool, that is, vote on all of 'em preferably.  (Strictly speaking, some won't matter because the dueler lost the semis, but whatever, small pools are fun anyway.)

Divinities

Lady (Shadow Hearts: From the New World) vs. TimeLord (Saga Frontier)

Demigods

Luther Lansfeld (Star Ocean 3) vs. Altima (Final Fantasy Tactics)
Jowy Atreides (Suikoden II) vs. Ryu Bateson (Breath of Fire 2)

Luther Lansfeld (Star Ocean 3) vs. Jowy Atreides (Suikoden II)
Luther Lansfeld (Star Ocean 3) vs. Ryu Bateson (Breath of Fire 2)
Altima (Final Fantasy Tactics) vs. Jowy Atreides (Suikoden II)
Altima (Final Fantasy Tactics) vs. Ryu Bateson (Breath of Fire 2)

Heroes

Lilka (Wild Arms 2) vs. Momo (Breath of Fire 3)
Lazlo (Suikoden IV) vs. Klein (Atelier Iris)

Lilka (Wild Arms 2) vs. Lazlo (Suikoden IV)
Lilka (Wild Arms 2) vs. Klein (Atelier Iris)
Momo (Breath of Fire 3) vs. Lazlo (Suikoden IV)
Momo (Breath of Fire 3) vs. Klein (Atelier Iris)

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: Shift Tourney: Finals
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2013, 10:10:54 PM »

Divinities

Lady (Shadow Hearts: From the New World) vs. TimeLord (Saga Frontier)- Splat.

Demigods

Jowy Atreides (Suikoden II) vs. Ryu Bateson (Breath of Fire 2)- G Dragon.\

Altima (Final Fantasy Tactics) vs. Jowy Atreides (Suikoden II)- Mute.
Altima (Final Fantasy Tactics) vs. Ryu Bateson (Breath of Fire 2)- Abstain.

Heroes

Lilka (Wild Arms 2) vs. Momo (Breath of Fire 3)- Runs Momo out of MP.

Lilka (Wild Arms 2) vs. Lazlo (Suikoden IV)- Reflect.
Momo (Breath of Fire 3) vs. Lazlo (Suikoden IV)- ID blocker.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2013, 10:17:22 PM »
Divinities

Lady (Shadow Hearts: From the New World) vs. TimeLord (Saga Frontier): Pretty sure I see her as durable enough for this at least.

Demigods

Luther Lansfeld (Star Ocean 3) vs. Altima (Final Fantasy Tactics): Altima has an argument here, but it involves 2HKOing and not being 3-2ed.
Jowy Atreides (Suikoden II) vs. Ryu Bateson (Breath of Fire 2): Faster. Ryu doesn't have remarkable HP or MDef (much like most Ryus).

Luther Lansfeld (Star Ocean 3) vs. Jowy Atreides (Suikoden II): Jowy should be able to 2HKO without triggering a limit, and I doubt I see Luther 2HKOing him before then.
Luther Lansfeld (Star Ocean 3) vs. Ryu Bateson (Breath of Fire 2): OHKO.
Altima (Final Fantasy Tactics) vs. Jowy Atreides (Suikoden II): uhhh so Altima will get off Mute here. Or heck, Jowy has no status resistance, so one Grand Cross is probably a win.
Altima (Final Fantasy Tactics) vs. Ryu Bateson (Breath of Fire 2): I don't do that HP buffering thing... I suppose Altima might survive G Dragon though? That said he can chip->kill at worst since I don't think one Grand Cross will ruin him... maybe? I dunno.

Heroes

Lilka (Wild Arms 2) vs. Momo (Breath of Fire 3): edit: Sure I'm convinced.

Lilka (Wild Arms 2) vs. Lazlo (Suikoden IV): Pah.
Momo (Breath of Fire 3) vs. Lazlo (Suikoden IV): :)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 09:14:10 PM by Dark Holy Elf »

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Nephrite

• Denizen
  • President of the Great United States of America
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2013, 10:31:54 PM »
Divinities

Lady (Shadow Hearts: From the New World) vs. TimeLord (Saga Frontier) - Boss Timelord.

Demigods

Jowy Atreides (Suikoden II) vs. Ryu Bateson (Breath of Fire 2) - Hm... I probably see Ryu as surviving, albeit barely, and possibly with GUTS. I'll think about it.

Luther Lansfeld (Star Ocean 3) vs. Jowy Atreides (Suikoden II) - Uhh... how many shots of Hungry Friend did Jowy have? Was it 4? I ask because Luther might just be able to nuke Jowy's MP something fierce, because he gets the MP damage open after taking even a little damage.
Luther Lansfeld (Star Ocean 3) vs. Ryu Bateson (Breath of Fire 2) - I guess this boils down to how much MP Damage Luther can do vs. Ryu2 before he gets his turn. It might be enough to shave off the damage on G. Dragon.

Heroes

Pyro

• Denizen
  • Mwahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2013, 10:38:13 PM »
Divinities

Lady (Shadow Hearts: From the New World) vs. TimeLord (Saga Frontier)Isn't taken down THAT easily. Does obliterate him, though.

Demigods

Luther Lansfeld (Star Ocean 3) vs. Altima (Final Fantasy Tactics): Two bosses who face twink-heavy casts. Always fun.
Jowy Atreides (Suikoden II) vs. Ryu Bateson (Breath of Fire 2): Definitely don't see Jowy having a 110% PCHP OHKO or whatever.

Luther Lansfeld (Star Ocean 3) vs. Ryu Bateson (Breath of Fire 2):
Altima (Final Fantasy Tactics) vs. Ryu Bateson (Breath of Fire 2): If he blows a G.Drgn on one form the next gets him.

Heroes

Lilka (Wild Arms 2) vs. Momo (Breath of Fire 3): Reflect and Quick seals off everything Momo can try. After that just save up till Dual-Cast an S-crested element.
Lazlo (Suikoden IV) vs. Klein (Atelier Iris): Boring.

Lilka (Wild Arms 2) vs. Lazlo (Suikoden IV): Reflect?
Lilka (Wild Arms 2) vs. Klein (Atelier Iris): Sleepaid.
Momo (Breath of Fire 3) vs. Lazlo (Suikoden IV): Lazlo without the ID.
Momo (Breath of Fire 3) vs. Klein (Atelier Iris): Status.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2013, 10:48:55 PM »
Neph: Technically no Saga, but I think Boss TimeLord has a worse argument for winning than PC TimeLord!  At least if Lady's durability is seen as sufficiently bad, PC TL should win (though needing to get one final hit doesn't help).  Boss TL's Overdrive is a limit, and Lady is pretty much perfect at chipping around limits, so that's a rough match unless Boss TL's HP is seen as huge.

Checking...  Luther's MP damage at full HP is 220 MP, which is pretty awful.  Too bad, it doesn't take much MP damage to make Ryu2's G. Dragon go from good to meh, but 220 MP vs. an MP average of 2276 is .1 PCMP damage.  Which...  might matter vs. Ryu2!  Ryu2 has a measly .49 PCMP, so he goes to .39 PCMP = 80% MP.  Which means G. Dragon is at 64% strength, so it does 2.08 * .64 = 1.33 PCHP damage to me.  Huh.  (Flip side, not much Luther durability respect, so that might still be fatal...)

Luther Lansfeld (Star Ocean 3) vs. Altima (Final Fantasy Tactics) - I guess.  Faster probably does tilt it.
Jowy Atreides (Suikoden II) vs. Ryu Bateson (Breath of Fire 2) - One survives, the other doesn't.  (But it is close.)

Luther Lansfeld (Star Ocean 3) vs. Jowy Atreides (Suikoden II) - MP bust hype is interesting but since Luther's MP busting isn't that great at first, Jowy gets off two shots of Hungry Friend.
Luther Lansfeld (Star Ocean 3) vs. Ryu Bateson (Breath of Fire 2) - See above musings on terrible MP busting vs. G. Dragon.  I guess I should figure out exactly how durable I see Luther as.
Altima (Final Fantasy Tactics) vs. Ryu Bateson (Breath of Fire 2) - Yeah, no HP buffering, and I don't think Ryu OHKOs form 1 with his physical.  EDIT: By which I mean "HP buffering" of course.  In the sense that G. Dragoning Holy Angel is pretty worthless.

Heroes

Lilka (Wild Arms 2) vs. Lazlo (Suikoden IV) - So people see the FP-reduction crest as legal for Lilka for Reflect turn 1 hype?  I guess, sure.  It is what she pretty much always wants to use for it in the DL.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 05:46:34 PM by SnowFire »

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2013, 11:23:02 PM »
Lady (Shadow Hearts: From the New World) vs. TimeLord (Saga Frontier) - Boss Timelord.

Boss Timelord goes last and gets one-rounded by Lady. Don't see how he fares any better than PC Timelord - much to the contrary, in fact.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Nephrite

• Denizen
  • President of the Great United States of America
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2013, 11:31:49 PM »
I see Timelord's HP as pretty impressive, due to the fact that, well, it's pre-Blue having Time magic. Of course, YMMV on that.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2013, 12:15:59 AM »
He's still at the end of at least one magic quest and not likely to be too far from endgame (I certainly fought TL/Kylin right before Rouge and the final dungeon myself), and has about half the HP of the final bosses, so his own durability shouldn't be that impressive.

If you see him beating Lady (who can do >2PCHP in one shot, and chip until then), then who does he lose to? Especially since you let him switch between that and his PC form at will, and the PC form can beat most of boss form's clear spoilers (Ryu3, Yuna, etc.).

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2013, 07:10:59 PM »
Divinities

Demigods

Jowy Atreides (Suikoden II) vs. Ryu Bateson (Breath of Fire 2)- Huh.  I always remember Ryu 2 having HP.  I'll just blame Rand *nod*

Altima (Final Fantasy Tactics) vs. Ryu Bateson (Breath of Fire 2)- I do however go in for HP buffering.

Heroes

Momo (Breath of Fire 3) vs. Klein (Atelier Iris)-  mmm.  I think Momo can use confuse to give herself buffing space?  Could be underestimating Klein's kill power though.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Dhyerwolf

• Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2013, 03:42:57 AM »
Heroes

Lilka (Wild Arms 2) vs. Momo (Breath of Fire 3)- Yeah, for all that Momo can buff up, Lilka can buff the Speed and get Reflect up quicker, and Momo's innate missing will cause her problems

Lilka (Wild Arms 2) vs. Klein (Atelier Iris)- Klein haaaaates Reflect
...into the nightfall.

Pyro

• Denizen
  • Mwahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2013, 12:13:46 PM »
I don't think Lilka's Reflect would catch Klein's items. Feels outside the realm of what her Reflect should capture since it wasn't THAT inclusive (good enough for ye old standard spells though).

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2013, 02:49:22 PM »
Lady (Shadow Hearts: From the New World) vs. TimeLord (Saga Frontier) - Menial. She might as well face both TL forms at the -same time- and still win.

Luther Lansfeld (Star Ocean 3) vs. Altima (Final Fantasy Tactics) - sure. Going for a 2HKO CERTAINLY gets Altima 3-2'd, and that even craps out on her durability.
Jowy Atreides (Suikoden II) vs. Ryu Bateson (Breath of Fire 2) - lol ohko. Meh to Guts hype.

Luther Lansfeld (Star Ocean 3) vs. Jowy Atreides (Suikoden II) - I think Jowy can chip with physical => Hungry Friend and avoid Perfect Symmetry range, if barely? Luther at full HP isn't inspiring me, and that MP damage isn't taking all L4 charges with two shots.
Luther Lansfeld (Star Ocean 3) vs. Ryu Bateson (Breath of Fire 2) - Holy crap.
Altima (Final Fantasy Tactics) vs. Jowy Atreides (Suikoden II) - sure
Altima (Final Fantasy Tactics) vs. Ryu Bateson (Breath of Fire 2) - Eh to the HP buffering. Getting to buffer a single attack from one PC in-game, I'm so impressed.

Lilka Eleniak (Wild Arms 2) vs. Momo (Breath of Fire 3) - Even if you don't allow Lilka to shuffle her Crests to halve Reflect FP costs (which I do, given how simple it is to do in-game), Momo offense needs work even post-buffing and Momo can only match Lilka's post-Quick speed at best - not to mention pretty much any appreciable damage will put her into Reflect range. Condition Green further muddles things against Momo, at which point it's a matter of infinite vs. finite resources.

Lilka Eleniak (Wild Arms 2) vs. Lazlo (Suikoden IV) - Reflect in WA2 isn't that great, but it should be enough for PC spells, has -some- minor use in-game and I'll give Lazlo's in-game egregious ID no respect check ever.
Momo (Breath of Fire 3) vs. Lazlo (Suikoden IV) - <3
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2013, 07:45:37 PM »

Divinities

Lady (Shadow Hearts: From the New World) vs. TimeLord (Saga Frontier) - Probably survives OD nonsense, definitily splatters TL into next week if she does.

Demigods

Jowy Atreides (Suikoden II) vs. Ryu Bateson (Breath of Fire 2) - lolohko

Altima (Final Fantasy Tactics) vs. Jowy Atreides (Suikoden II) - Grand Cross does its thing or something.
Altima (Final Fantasy Tactics) vs. Ryu Bateson (Breath of Fire 2) - eh

Heroes

Lilka (Wild Arms 2) vs. Momo (Breath of Fire 3) - not sure how Momo has a shot here, Snow more or less sums it up.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2013, 01:56:50 AM »
Final call for final votes of finality.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2013, 04:48:55 AM »
Results.

Demigods

Jowy Atreides (Suikoden II) vs. Ryu Bateson (Breath of Fire 2) (4-3)

*** Luther Lansfeld (Star Ocean 3) vs. Jowy Atreides (Suikoden II) (2-3)

Heroes

*** Lilka (Wild Arms 2) vs. Lazlo (Suikoden IV)
Lilka (Wild Arms 2) vs. Klein (Atelier Iris) (2-1)

So Lady, Jowy, & Lilka take it (Jowy just barely, winning both the semifinal & final by a single vote).  As far as scoring the pools, it's Altima & Jowy (2-1) > Luther & Ryu (1-2), which would interestingly enough hand the championship to Altima (she beat Jowy) if scored strictly by pool standings; and Lilka (3-0) > Momo (2-1) > Lazlo (1-2) > Klein (0-3).  Lilka just wins again.