Have you seen this?

Yes
6 (66.7%)
No
1 (11.1%)
What's a Dune?
2 (22.2%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Author Topic: David Lynch's Dune movie adaptation. Seen it?  (Read 2120 times)

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
David Lynch's Dune movie adaptation. Seen it?
« on: January 28, 2014, 07:00:48 AM »
I make jokes about this every now and then and was wondering how many people have sat through it by now.  Also interested in what people think of it too but whatevs.

Personally I love it but I am also squarely in the target audience of art consuming wankers that loves high concepts, can tolerate bad execution for fresh ideas, loves David Lynch, loves cinema in general and am a big fan of Frank Herbert's original novel.  Also there is the camp factor.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
Re: David Lynch's Dune movie adaptation. Seen it?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 10:13:56 AM »
I liked it when I saw it as a kid and still like it--albeit with caveats--after reading the book. Basically everything specific to the director's cut--which is to say the seriously gross shit Lynch added for the sake of seriously gross shit--can go die in a fire, but as long as he's sticking to the book (and from memory he's pretty consistent about this when not indulging in Body Horror just because early David Lynch) it's pretty fun.

What a random topic to see in 2014.

EDIT: I guess I should note the only other David Lynch movie I've seen was Eraserhead and it was the single most painful experience I have spent in a theater. This isn't to say it's the worst movie I've ever seen, but I walked out literally nauseated. No other movie has done that to me.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 10:15:45 AM by El Cideon »

The Duck

• Social Justice Duck
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 02:48:12 PM »
I first saw it as a very young child, maybe when I was six years old? All I can remember from that viewing is that despite all of the weird grotesqueries that Lynch threw in, the thing I was most terrified of was the scene with the Gene Besserit Mother and Paul Atreides with the box, which I just found unbearably tense and freaky as a kid.

I saw it again after reading the first few books in the series, which would have been in college, maybe five years ago. I didn't hate it and certainly thought there were things to admire about it. Some of the flourishes are unique but very weird, like the fucking eyebrows, vagina monsters, and Sting. STING. SO BAD. And also there were those weird pixel fights which must have looked ridiculous even at the time.

The film isn't really a Dune film but a Lynch film of parts of the Dune story. I can only imagine that it would be completely incomprehensible to someone who hasn't read the novel, as it is only incredibly incomprehensible to those who have. Lynch's adaptation has aspects that do work (mainly some of the more cerebral aspects of the novel and sometimes the atmosphere is just right) but never quite come together in a meaningful way. I think Lynch would have been the wrong person to do the film no matter what, but like Grefter, I enjoy ambitious failures. Lynch himself has disowned the film because of studio cuts and interference. I don't think I've seen the longest cut, but somehow I doubt it makes everything come together.

For those who don't know, Lynch turned down directing Return of the Jedi in favor of Dune, which would have been intriguing to say the least. I think Lynch would have done much more in terms of depicting mental anguish and internal conflict than what we got and maybe the Ewoks could also be weird vagina monsters. That probably would have been all wrong too but I'd like to see what he would have come up with.

Also, the first director they got for Dune was Alejandro Jodorowsky, who has made some of the strangest films I've ever seen (exploding frogs!). He wanted to have Salvador Dali as the Emperor (who would have charged $100,000/hour), Orson Welles as Baron Harkonnen and David Carradine (Kung Fu/Kill Bill) as Duke Leto. His concept art makes it look... uh, interesting. From what I've read, it would have been like a fifteen hour acid trip, which isn't too far afield from some of his other films. There's a documentary coming out this year about his version of Dune.

http://www.duneinfo.com/unseen/jodorowsky/
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1935156/

Cid, if you're interested in Lynch's other work, then Blue Velvet, Elephant Man, and Twin Peaks are probably his best and most accessible. The Straight Story doesn't have very many of Lynch's flourishes but it is a good movie about human relationships that is grounded in reality. It is notable for being marketed as "Disney Presents: A David Lynch Film." People also speak highly of Mulholland Drive but that's one that I don't really get.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 08:55:44 PM »
Speaking as someone who saw the movie before reading the book, I never really got the feeling of getting lost while watching the movie. It, in it's own somehow both bumbling and high concept way, gets the point across. Sure, it's not point for point with the book but it nails down enough that it carries through. That said, still misses some major points, but in general I never felt it the absolute trainwreck of an adaptation most hardcore Dune fans feel it is. Though I'm usually a lot more forgiving to movie adaptations of stuff in general.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2014, 09:43:42 PM »
Oh yeah for reference, I also saw it before reading the books.  I had been exposed to the IP from the video games and the original (strange genre blurring Adventure/Strategy game) Dune adaptation used the film's aesthetic to kind of hilarious effect in retrospect so it wasn't super jarring.  Director's Cut was seen after reading the books.

A lot of the gratuitous seeming Lynch factor isn't nearly as forced as it seems, they asked David Lynch to adapt something that needs a mini series to do properly into a movie and he is going to cut corners with visual cues.  You know that the Harkonnen are evil hedonists after one scene with that and you don't even have to have hint at Baron Harkonnen think about sleeping with young boys and kill a slave that Feyd has sex with.  The heart plugs are pure Lynch though but they fit the lore pretty perfectly.  That and the pretty nobles that live in castles are the good guys and the Fremen are clearly noble savages.  It is a butcher's job to get it into 3 hours, but as far as butcher's jobs go it is super direct and uses super obvious cinematic short hand .

The scene with the Bene Geserit test with the box and the Gom Jabbar is horrific and a straight adaptation of the book.

Also Sting is so bad he is great.  He is visually pretty great as a Feyd character.  He looks off his face and out of his mind but so about him and his.  Its a shame he was apparently impossible to give any lines to since he has like 2 total even in the Director's Cut.  Someone thought it was a good idea to hire Sting and use him as eye candy.  You know that it was probably the same person that thought it was a good idea to hire David Lynch to make a comprehensible movie.

I can't top Gourry's amazing links and stories about that, but I did find a website talking about tie in action figures for the movie, so that is pretty great.
http://calvinscanadiancaveofcool.blogspot.com.au/2013/12/tuesdays-from-toybox-ljn-1994-dune-toys.html

Feyd comes with a cat-in-a-box and the Emperor's Blade accessories.

You know, for kids!

Lady Door

• Coming up with words is, like...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ... really hard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2014, 10:21:11 PM »
I had to look this up because I have shit memory for people unless I have a particular need to care but YES I love that version of Dune.

I think I saw it because my parents are Dune fans, and my mom loves Sting. Natural, right?

I also saw it before I read the books. It had no impact on whether I read the books or not, I think it took a few more years before I actually did, but the visuals did help me make sense of some of the action since I paid far more attention to the book's other cues.
<Demedais> Humans look like cars to me.
<AndrewRogue> That must be confusing in parking lots

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2014, 11:42:03 PM »
As a tribute to how the world Dune is set in is really really fucking weird, it's a success.  As an adaptation of the first novel, well... it wasn't doing a great job to begin with but it falls flat on its face when the majority of the book is turned into a montage.  If instead of calling it "Dune" they had called it "David Lynch fucking loves Dune, you guys" it would have gone over a lot better.

The Duck

• Social Justice Duck
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2014, 01:34:32 PM »
I can't top Gourry's amazing links and stories about that, but I did find a website talking about tie in action figures for the movie, so that is pretty great.
http://calvinscanadiancaveofcool.blogspot.com.au/2013/12/tuesdays-from-toybox-ljn-1994-dune-toys.html

Feyd comes with a cat-in-a-box and the Emperor's Blade accessories.

You know, for kids!
This is great.

I was introduced to Dune not through the novel but through Dune 2, a very early RTS (not quite the first? But one established a prototype for games like Warcraft). The Lynchian aesthetic is definitely there for that game as well.

Lynch has a way of directing actors that makes a number of them just seem stilted and weird, and this applies even to the good actors that he's worked with. When Lynch actors are bad, it's so bad that it's unworldly and sometimes hilarious, and then there's Sting.

Gref, what's brought on interest in this out of curiosity?

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2014, 04:00:39 PM »
An "oh man I love that movie" moment on a bus trip home and no idea what any of my friends thought of it.

I was going to say if Dune 2 wasn't the first then it was something I don't know.  Turns out it is somethings I don't know.  It definitely defined the archetype.  Dune 1 strategy stuff was nothing like it.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2014, 04:40:07 PM »
Dune 2 fucking owned.

The Duck

• Social Justice Duck
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2014, 09:43:03 PM »
Dune 2 may not have been the first RTS. Some people point to Herzog Zwei on the Genesis or some older PC and NES games but Dune 2 had differentiated factions and a lot of the innovations that we think of in modern RTSes (resource collection is a big one, defense structures, siege units). It's impressive to me that the first real game of its kind had these ideas and actually executed them in an effective way.

I fondly remember spending a few summer days trying to kill Sand Worms. Fremen rushes were unwieldy but could be fun too.

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2014, 04:48:11 AM »
I don't know.

I saw like a 4 hour version of Dune that I think might have been done by space channel or something.  But I remember hearing there was another adaptation as well that was like 1:30, and I can't remember if I saw that or not.

The 4 hour version was alright.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2014, 06:11:36 AM »
The four-hour version is the director's cut that Lynch wanted to release in theaters.  The 97-minute version is the original theatrical release that made David Lynch so angry he had them take his name off it.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2014, 06:48:14 AM »
The Sci Fi Channel mini series was 5ish hours, so could have been that.  Lynch's cut is 3 hours 10 mins.

Mini series is pretty good but plays it very very straight and is way less batshit insane than the movie (for so many very obvious reasons).

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2014, 07:23:50 AM »
I remember being really disappointed in how shitty the sets were.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2014, 09:56:07 AM »
The Sci Fi Channel mini series

Expectations should have been set.

The Duck

• Social Justice Duck
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2014, 01:39:39 PM »
To do Dune right, it needs the Game of Thrones HBO multi-season treatment.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2014, 06:03:33 AM »
I watched Mullholland Drive having no idea who Lynch was when I was like 18. That was something.
Saw Blue Velvet and A Straight Story then, no idea why.

I need to get into these movies again (or at least Twin Peaks) but honestly Dune is at the very bottom of the list priority-wise.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2014, 12:29:32 PM »
It is specifically amazing if you have a ton of overlap between Lynch and Dune.  If you just want David Lynch then yes would agree there is far far more important touchstones to hit.  In his first 5 features it is the least interesting for Lynch.  Eraserhead is what (the fuck) it is.  Elephant Man.  Blue Velvet I haven't actually seen which means I am terrible, but my understanding it is pretty much the template that the best parts of Max Payne lift or are influenced by it (this is better praise than it sounds).  Then Wild at Heart is another I haven't seen, but is a David Lynch movie with Nicholas Cage waitwhythefuckhaven'tIwatchedthis.

Edit - That is all without touching his short films.

The Duck

• Social Justice Duck
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2014, 01:54:40 PM »
Guys, you need to watch Blue Velvet.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2014, 05:43:27 PM »
Ok I know nothing about Dune except there's David Bowie and Lynch, so yeah.

I've read a bunch of David Foster Wallace recently and his essay on David Lynch on the set of Lost Highway ("David Lynch keeps his head") was pretty interesting in analysing Lynch. (if wrong at times)
Can be found online for free, but only as huge white paragraphs on black background, it seems.

BTW
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msMehuZo3x8
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 05:49:23 PM by Fenrir »