Register

Author Topic: Tourney of Random Events: Round 2, week 1  (Read 1643 times)

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
Tourney of Random Events: Round 2, week 1
« on: April 29, 2014, 07:27:42 PM »
Event 25: It's a Trap!

There's about three different things this could be.   I think y'all know which one I mean.

Our victims are Chie and Delita.  May the grace of apris be with yooouuuuu.

Event 26: The Double Dash

A returning favorite, four contestants must team up and navigate two-man kart racers to the finish line.

Our first team is Solid Snake and Prof. Layton.  Snake is a well known gunner in open air vehicle fights, so he's pretty much locked into the rear seat here.  Whether Layton can provide the racing chops to match him is the bigger question.

Maya and Lenny take up the player two slot.  Maya can do pretty much whatever the hell she wants as long as a book has been written on the subject, so it's a question of how well Lenny can fill a role here that'll determine their victory.

Event 27: Basketball Jam

2 on two basketball with a little extra flair.  Oh my- he's on fire!

The A team is made up of Domon Kasshu and The Genie.  Domon oozes athleticism, and Genie knows the rules of the game, so between them they can probably puzzle the thing out.

Team B is Umi and Rikku.  Well... they've got energy.  Oh!  Rikku can steal!  I'm not entirely convinced Umi can sit through an explaination of the game though...

Event 28: The McFly

After a typical evening of testing and documenting experiments in time travel, you've been sent back in time to the day your parents met.  Unfortunately for you, one of them's fallen for you completely, generating a paradox that results in your complete lack of being born!  You've got one week before the timeline corrects and erases you from existence, and gotta make sure your folks share their first kiss before time runs out!

Princess Buttercup probably doesn't have the most sensible ideas about love, so this event will definitely challenge her.  The whole "literally the most beautiful woman in the world" bit probably doesn't help either.

Yuri isn't much for interacting with people.  Or fending off suitors.  Or dealing with his own feelings... yeah this will be an awkward week.

Event 29: The Jealousy-inducing Fake Date

Y'know the one, from all those bad teenage romantic comedies and stuff.  Success depends on two factors, both pretending successfully to be having a good time, while simultaneously not having so good a time that you instead wind up hooking up with the fake date.  As for who or what everyone is trying to make jealous, well, I leave that up to everyone's imaginations.

Our first 'couple' is Vegeta and Rich Uncle Pennybags.  The Monopoly Man can definitely afford a good time, so it could definitely be a lot worse.  Unless Vegeta just vaporizes someone of course.

Ned Flanders and Carmen Sandiego make up the other couple.  Ned's got bundles of Genuinely Nice Guy, so it's a pretty risky team, but on the other hand Carmen Sandiego is certainly the most duplicitous participant in this matchup so that may make up the difference.

Short Form-
It's a Trap!: Chie Satonaka (Persona 4) vs Delita Hyral (Final Fantasy Tactics)
Double Dash: Solid Snake (Metal Gear Series) and Professor Layton (Eponymous) vs Lenny Curtis (SHadow Hearts Series) and Maya Schroedinger (Wild ARMs 3)
Basketball Jam: Domon Kasshu (Mobile Fighter G Gundam) and Genie (Aladdin) vs Umi (Cthulhu Saves the World) and Rikku (Final Fantasy X)
The McFly: Princess Buttercup (The Princess Bride) vs Yuri Lowell (Tales of Vesperia)
Operation Jealousy: Vegeta (Dragon Ball Z: Abridged) and Rich Uncle Pennybags (Monopoly) vs Ned Flanders (The Simpsons) and Carmen Sandiego (Eponymous)
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: Tourney of Random Events: Round 2, week 1
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2014, 07:44:52 PM »
Short Form-
It's a Trap!: Chie Satonaka (Persona 4) vs Delita Hyral (Final Fantasy Tactics)- Chie has experience dealing with the reverse at least. And everyone in Ivalice has the exact same face with different hair/facial hair/accessories, so it might take Delita some time to figure things out due to that.

Double Dash: Solid Snake (Metal Gear Series) and Professor Layton (Eponymous) vs Lenny Curtis (SHadow Hearts Series) and Maya Schroedinger (Wild ARMs 3) - Gonna say Snake is too much to deal with here.

Basketball Jam: Domon Kasshu (Mobile Fighter G Gundam) and Genie (Aladdin) vs Umi (Cthulhu Saves the World) and Rikku (Final Fantasy X) - Rikku is probably pretty good at this, but Domon is on another level in raw athletic ability. Then Genie vs Umi comparison is one sided.

The McFly: Princess Buttercup (The Princess Bride) vs Yuri Lowell (Tales of Vesperia) - Yuri can probably pull something off here, scheming is a bit more his style then it is Buttercup's. Also he's probably better at just avoiding his mother so she can't really develop past that initial crush.

Operation Jealousy: Vegeta (Dragon Ball Z: Abridged) and Rich Uncle Pennybags (Monopoly) vs Ned Flanders (The Simpsons) and Carmen Sandiego (Eponymous) - So long as the date never turns romantic in any way, Ned would probably be willing to help Carmen out(so long as she doesn't let him know she's a bad person~ But Carmen is smooth and Ned is not that observant). Carmen is good at getting attention, too. The other team...well, Pennybags has the cash to make it work, but it hinges on Vegeta being able to look like he's having fun. Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahano.
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

Cmdr_King

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2014, 09:04:57 PM »
Short Form-
Double Dash: Solid Snake (Metal Gear Series) and Professor Layton (Eponymous) vs Lenny Curtis (SHadow Hearts Series) and Maya Schroedinger (Wild ARMs 3)- So I was compelled to ask myself: is there such a thing as a Speed Racer manga?  There is!  This really lets their team pull ahead, because while Racer Maya can adapt to being shot at and whatever weird way Lenny employs the powerups she's feeding him, Layton is in a more rational world.  I imagine he can drive under duress, but the sudden surges of acceleration and trying to position Snake so he can close the gap will be beyond him.
Basketball Jam: Domon Kasshu (Mobile Fighter G Gundam) and Genie (Aladdin) vs Umi (Cthulhu Saves the World) and Rikku (Final Fantasy X)- Much as I hate to totally ignore the novelty of a scenario in which FF-style stealing is legal, encouraged, and valuable.
The McFly: Princess Buttercup (The Princess Bride) vs Yuri Lowell (Tales of Vesperia)- So... I don't think either can complete the event.  if the genders were reversed, Buttercup could probably cheat her way to a win with a Nasty in the Pasty scenario, but that doesn't work with the time traveler as a woman.  Yuri can't pull that off, but his infinitesimal chance of succeeding by running away and hoping like hell his parents meet soon anyway is higher than Buttercup's zero chance of doing anything.
Operation Jealousy: Vegeta (Dragon Ball Z: Abridged) and Rich Uncle Pennybags (Monopoly) vs Ned Flanders (The Simpsons) and Carmen Sandiego (Eponymous)- Vegeta fails bad at the event regardless.  At first I thought the biggest risk to the other team was one falling for the other, but then I reconsidered.  Being Ned Flanders, his version of events would be phrased just a little differently: Why, if they don't appreciate us, then by golly, I guess we can just go out and have a good time on our own!  So whatever happened, they could go and have fun and part ways and no hard feelings the end.

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2014, 09:40:58 PM »
Short Form-
Double Dash: Solid Snake (Metal Gear Series) and Professor Layton (Eponymous) vs Lenny Curtis (SHadow Hearts Series) and Maya Schroedinger (Wild ARMs 3)- So I was compelled to ask myself: is there such a thing as a Speed Racer manga?  There is!  This really lets their team pull ahead, because while Racer Maya can adapt to being shot at and whatever weird way Lenny employs the powerups she's feeding him, Layton is in a more rational world.  I imagine he can drive under duress, but the sudden surges of acceleration and trying to position Snake so he can close the gap will be beyond him.
Basketball Jam: Domon Kasshu (Mobile Fighter G Gundam) and Genie (Aladdin) vs Umi (Cthulhu Saves the World) and Rikku (Final Fantasy X)- Much as I hate to totally ignore the novelty of a scenario in which FF-style stealing is legal, encouraged, and valuable.
The McFly: Princess Buttercup (The Princess Bride) vs Yuri Lowell (Tales of Vesperia)- So... I don't think either can complete the event.  if the genders were reversed, Buttercup could probably cheat her way to a win with a Nasty in the Pasty scenario, but that doesn't work with the time traveler as a woman.  Yuri can't pull that off, but his infinitesimal chance of succeeding by running away and hoping like hell his parents meet soon anyway is higher than Buttercup's zero chance of doing anything.
Operation Jealousy: Vegeta (Dragon Ball Z: Abridged) and Rich Uncle Pennybags (Monopoly) vs Ned Flanders (The Simpsons) and Carmen Sandiego (Eponymous)- Vegeta fails bad at the event regardless.  At first I thought the biggest risk to the other team was one falling for the other, but then I reconsidered.  Being Ned Flanders, his version of events would be phrased just a little differently: Why, if they don't appreciate us, then by golly, I guess we can just go out and have a good time on our own!  So whatever happened, they could go and have fun and part ways and no hard feelings the end.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2014, 11:34:14 PM »
It's a Trap!: Chie Satonaka (Persona 4) vs Delita Hyral (Final Fantasy Tactics) - Everyone in Ivalice does look similar, so both Delita's crossdressing & trap-setting skills seem much stronger than Chie, who'd probably break character sooner.
Double Dash: Solid Snake (Metal Gear Series) and Professor Layton (Eponymous) vs Lenny Curtis (SHadow Hearts Series) and Maya Schroedinger (Wild ARMs 3)
Everyone here is shockingly competent.  Inclined to slightly tiebreak against Maya though - as a reminder, sure she reads those books that give her superpowers, but then she *loses* anyway, so it's hardly an autowin uber-competence thing.  Seems as good a tiebreaker as any.
Basketball Jam: Domon Kasshu (Mobile Fighter G Gundam) and Genie (Aladdin) vs Umi (Cthulhu Saves the World) and Rikku (Final Fantasy X)
She's on fire!  ...oh no wait she isn't because her name is Japanese for sea.  I guess you can argue that Umi drenches her *opponents* but the water-elemental character still seems wildly out of place in NBA Jam.
Operation Jealousy: Vegeta (Dragon Ball Z: Abridged) and Rich Uncle Pennybags (Monopoly) vs Ned Flanders (The Simpsons) and Carmen Sandiego (Eponymous)
While understanding why Ned would get involved with a dangerous woman like Carmen is hard, "intentionally make some art dealer jealous" seems incredibly up Carmen's alley, even if it means intercepting Ned at a restaurant and tricking him / forcing him to act like a date out of politeness.  Vegeta & Uncle Pennybags are just a strange strange fake date.  (Although perhaps not as strange as Ned / Slime if Slime had won round 1.  That would be bizarre.)

Pyro

• Denizen
  • Mwahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2014, 01:03:17 AM »
It's a Trap!: Chie Satonaka (Persona 4) vs Delita Hyral (Final Fantasy Tactics): Chie is kind of manly. Delita is insanely manly. So this is pretty clear cut!
Double Dash: Solid Snake (Metal Gear Series) and Professor Layton (Eponymous) vs Lenny Curtis (SHadow Hearts Series) and Maya Schroedinger (Wild ARMs 3): Snake blows them up.
Basketball Jam: Domon Kasshu (Mobile Fighter G Gundam) and Genie (Aladdin) vs Umi (Cthulhu Saves the World) and Rikku (Final Fantasy X): Too much athletic ability and raw cheating power.
The McFly: Princess Buttercup (The Princess Bride) vs Yuri Lowell (Tales of Vesperia): Yuri is more of a schemer than Buttercup. Also I can totally imagine him ROCKING OUT. Or maybe he'll pull a Demon Lord Yuri gimmick.
Operation Jealousy: Vegeta (Dragon Ball Z: Abridged) and Rich Uncle Pennybags (Monopoly) vs Ned Flanders (The Simpsons) and Carmen Sandiego (Eponymous): Opposite genders means SOMETHING. And Carmen is just generally competent.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2014, 01:13:13 AM »
It's a Trap!: Chie Satonaka (Persona 4) vs Delita Hyral (Final Fantasy Tactics): I've definitely known people who thought Delita was a girl at first. Some of this is just FFT art androgyny, probably, but I have a much harder time seeing Chie fool anyone this way.
Double Dash: Solid Snake (Metal Gear Series) and Professor Layton (Eponymous) vs Lenny Curtis (SHadow Hearts Series) and Maya Schroedinger (Wild ARMs 3): I can't stop picturing the Paris sewers in which Lenny races and ends up going the wrong way. That by itself wouldn't be enough to decide a vote (since Maya could be the driver), but Snake is probably about the most dangeorus back-seat out there. I assume Layton is competent enough at driving?
Basketball Jam: Domon Kasshu (Mobile Fighter G Gundam) and Genie (Aladdin) vs Umi (Cthulhu Saves the World) and Rikku (Final Fantasy X): Genie. Just... Genie.
The McFly: Princess Buttercup (The Princess Bride) vs Yuri Lowell (Tales of Vesperia): *shrug*
Operation Jealousy: Vegeta (Dragon Ball Z: Abridged) and Rich Uncle Pennybags (Monopoly) vs Ned Flanders (The Simpsons) and Carmen Sandiego (Eponymous): Yeah Carmen seems like she'd be really good at this, both playing Ned to get around the latter's annoying morals and then putting on the necessary show. And yeah I really don't think there's much risk of the two actually falling for each other. Vegeta meanwhlie seems actively terrible at this.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2014, 01:36:01 AM »
Tiebreak for FFT art androgyny.  I don't have much reason to believe that either would be anything other than freaking awful at this otherwise.

See Elfboy.  Not even Maya reading Speed Racer can save this.

yeeaaaaaaaah

The McFly: Princess Buttercup (The Princess Bride) vs Yuri Lowell (Tales of Vesperia)
shrug

What everyone else said.

Dhyerwolf

• Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2014, 02:13:53 AM »
Short Form-
It's a Trap!: Chie Satonaka (Persona 4) vs Delita Hyral (Final Fantasy Tactics)- Chie doesn't just have familiarity with the reverse, but she has familiarity with this exact scenario too! She's friends with a cross-dresser who the game explicitly says fools an absurd amount of people. I think that being friends with Naoto and getting help there is far better than anything Delita will come up with.
...into the nightfall.

Ranmilia

• Poetry Lover
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Not a squid!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2014, 05:07:47 AM »
It's a Trap!: Chie Satonaka (Persona 4) vs Delita Hyral (Final Fantasy Tactics) - Maybe if this was Ramza instead.  But Delita, well, you can't hide the PA...

Double Dash: Solid Snake (Metal Gear Series) and Professor Layton (Eponymous) vs Lenny Curtis (SHadow Hearts Series) and Maya Schroedinger (Wild ARMs 3) - Snake in a kart seems strong.

Basketball Jam: Domon Kasshu (Mobile Fighter G Gundam) and Genie (Aladdin) vs Umi (Cthulhu Saves the World) and Rikku (Final Fantasy X) - Genie seems strong.

The McFly: Princess Buttercup (The Princess Bride) vs Yuri Lowell (Tales of Vesperia) - Buttercup seems weak.

Operation Jealousy: Vegeta (Dragon Ball Z: Abridged) and Rich Uncle Pennybags (Monopoly) vs Ned Flanders (The Simpsons) and Carmen Sandiego (Eponymous) - Carmen seems strong and the other team seems weak.

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2014, 03:19:31 AM »
See, I read this scenario as who could spot a trap first, rather then who could be a more convincing trap.

That's what happens when you just go "I think you know what I mean" rather then actually stating what you mean. <_<

Doesn't change my vote, though. Chie has a lock on this either way.
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

Cmdr_King

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2014, 03:33:28 AM »
Who's to say either of those is right or wrong?

I'm just disappointed nobody decided to vote as though it were and Akbar Impersonation Contest.  And only Snowfire suggested it be about setting traps or trapping people!  Y'all too one track.

DragonKnight Zero

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2014, 05:35:02 AM »
Going with the "who's better at setting traps" interp.

Snake and Maya shoot.  Maya has experience with using that gatling gun of hers so it's surprisingly even for the two in that role.  It becomes even if she morphs into Snake.  Layton and Lenny drive.  Layton is out of his element here.  Lenny is from a time period where fast autos aren't really around.  I'm inclined to give the nod to Lenny adapting better and Maya's bag of tricks though it's a close contest either way.

Genie tips this.  I'll give Rikku some credit for lowering the margin of victory though.

Fails on indescribable levels.  Both are swallowed by the timestream.  Yuri running the hell away is still a better tactic than passing out for a week when both of Buttercup's parents fall for her.

What others have said.  No contest here.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2014, 07:32:36 PM »
It's a Trap!: Chie Satonaka (Persona 4) vs Delita Hyral (Final Fantasy Tactics): One who is good at setting traps is one who is good at finding ways at getting out of them, I'd think.
Double Dash: Solid Snake (Metal Gear Series) and Professor Layton (Eponymous) vs Lenny Curtis (SHadow Hearts Series) and Maya Schroedinger (Wild ARMs 3): Maya reads a Mario Kart instruction manual, and suddenly becomes a pro at this!
Basketball Jam: Domon Kasshu (Mobile Fighter G Gundam) and Genie (Aladdin) vs Umi (Cthulhu Saves the World) and Rikku (Final Fantasy X): I don't know half these characters, but one of them has SEMI UNIVERSAL NEARLY COSMIC POWERS!!! which I'm pretty sure helps a lot in a game like this.
The McFly: Princess Buttercup (The Princess Bride) vs Yuri Lowell (Tales of Vesperia): He seems more capable at keeping himself cool for this particular situation.  Also, can stand up to Biff way better than Buttercup could <_< >_>
Operation Jealousy: Vegeta (Dragon Ball Z: Abridged) and Rich Uncle Pennybags (Monopoly) vs Ned Flanders (The Simpsons) and Carmen Sandiego (Eponymous): It took me a bit but then I realized Flanders ALWAYS has a good time with everything, it doesn't matter who he's with; he doesn't have to fake this at all.  Now consider Carmen Sandiego is a master thief, suggesting she'd be damned good at acting and deception, and really, there's no question who would win this.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Lance

• Groovy~
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • My Foxkei profile
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2014, 06:12:49 AM »
Last-minute votes, so no comments/explanations this time.

Cmdr_King

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2014, 06:25:32 AM »
It's a Trap!: Chie Satonaka (Persona 4)- iiiiiiii vs Delita Hyral (Final Fantasy Tactics)- iiii
Double Dash: Solid Snake (Metal Gear Series) and Professor Layton (Eponymous)- iiiiiii vs Lenny Curtis (SHadow Hearts Series) and Maya Schroedinger (Wild ARMs 3)- iiii
Basketball Jam: Domon Kasshu (Mobile Fighter G Gundam) and Genie (Aladdin)- iiiiiiiiiii  vs Umi (Cthulhu Saves the World) and Rikku (Final Fantasy X)
The McFly: Princess Buttercup (The Princess Bride)- i vs Yuri Lowell (Tales of Vesperia)- iiiiiii
Operation Jealousy: Vegeta (Dragon Ball Z: Abridged) and Rich Uncle Pennybags (Monopoly) vs Ned Flanders (The Simpsons) and Carmen Sandiego (Eponymous)- iiiiiiiiiii