Register

Author Topic: Tourney of Random Events: Round 4  (Read 1136 times)

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
Tourney of Random Events: Round 4
« on: May 28, 2014, 05:08:35 AM »
Event 38- The Last of the Meheecans

Taken straight from the minds of racist, racist little children, one of our teams will be tasked with defending their borders from illegal crossings, while the other makes them.  The border patrol will be provided with a proper fortification to defend their base, and the crossers must all reach base in order to claim victory. 

Domon, Layton, Carmen, and Miriel must protect our precious bodily fluids.

Luca, Lily, Bowser, and Athena seek to take our jerbs.

Short Form
Last of the Meheecans- Domon Kasshu (Mobile Fighter G Gundam), Professor Layton (Eponymous), Carmen Sandiego (Eponymous) and Miriel (Fire Emblem: Awakening) VS Luca Blight (Suikoden II), Lilianne Valendorf (Mana Khemia 2: Fall of Alchemy), Bowser (Mario Series), and Athena Cykes (Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies)
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: Tourney of Random Events: Round 4
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 05:36:38 AM »
Yeesh.

Domon can fight Luca to a stand still, neutralizing the two of them.

Carmen can steal the other team's modes of transportation no problem, but I'm assuming that directly kidnapping the other team is out. Helpful, at least.

But....I don't see any way for Layton and Miriel to stop Bowser(and Lily and Athena) from just walking over the border. Mirel tries to fight him, she gets splattered. They might be able to trick him into going the wrong way, but...Lily actually comes into play there, she's pretty shrewd when it comes to things not involving Raze or Punis.  And while I don't know Athena...I'm guessing she's a PWverse lawyer, so is also pretty good at getting through tricks(eventually).

So yeah. Lily, Whim and Athena keep Bowser moving the right direction. Carmen can take thier shit but can't stop them from just walking forward. Miriel and Layton can lay some traps or tricks, but Bowser's ladies are sharp enough to probably get past it. And Domon can't stop them because he's too busy fighting Luca.

Team Bowser takes this.

EDIT: of course the other option is that Carmen simply steals base to prevent the other team from winning. Dunno how much I like going with that, though. Sticking with my original breakdown for now.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 05:38:56 AM by Gatewalker »
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2014, 01:59:15 PM »
Short Form
Last of the Meheecans- Domon Kasshu (Mobile Fighter G Gundam), Professor Layton (Eponymous), Carmen Sandiego (Eponymous) and Miriel (Fire Emblem: Awakening) VS Luca Blight (Suikoden II), Lilianne Valendorf (Mana Khemia 2: Fall of Alchemy), Bowser (Mario Series), and Athena Cykes (Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies)

This event can be read in two ways- as a straight tower defense situation, and as a real life border defense.  The former is a blowout.  Domon has a gundam, which 99% of the time would be deadly here! Except he's going up against the full might of Bowser, who has access to airships/tanks. That leaves Layton, Carmen, and Miriel to try and stop Luca. Yeah. Good luck.

The latter? Boswer and Luca are kings and Athena is a lawyer.  They don't have to sneak for shit, they can literally march up to the border, wave diplomatic passports and stroll in.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2014, 02:41:30 PM »
Short Form

Barring some epic Carmen theft argument based around her stealing literally everything the other team can use *at once*, I think this feels right as a kneejerk.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 07:51:01 PM by Random Consonant »

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2014, 03:27:26 PM »

Carmen is really, really good at this event...  if she'd been on the crossing side.  She's potentially still potent as a cop but is also wildly out of character so I dunno how that'll play.

I also don't think a break-in-by-force play is particularly likely to work here.  I haven't seen G Gundam but Gundams are usually unstoppable death machines designed precisely to bust up Bowser's entire air force, Luca & Lily would get squished, Miriel would class-change to Sorc to throw down long-range Mires as they ran across the desert, etc.  Domon's weakness would presumably be to an assassin to gank the pilot, but I don't see anyone particularly good at that on Team Mexico.  Best they have is a Giga Bowser vs. Gundam throwdown which is a coinflip at best.

So - that leaves something sneaky.  I'm going to assume that a legal entry as a diplomat wouldn't qualify, as we specifically need an ILLEGAL entry.  The legal entry isn't useless though; in fact, it's crucial, as a one-time scam would ram into Layton.  Athena, while she's unsteady at times, still finished law school by 18 and is well-versed in international travel with her random language use, so is presumably some kind of super-genius.  She gets to lay a diabolical trap for Layton / Miriel / Carmen.  They're all good at puzzles - find the part of the visa that's wrong, etc.  Athena will arrange some kind of huge travel document and make subtle modifications to it each crossing, but the first 70 crossings will all be valid, just valid with slightly different obscure footnotes & wordings.  All Athena needs to do is make the 83rd crossing of the group actually illegal and use boredom as their shield - nobody can meticulously inspect the overall contract over and over again for whatever crucial piece was left out without going insane.  (and if they do appear to be doing so, well, wait until crossing 148 by which they should all be batty anyway).  After that, the jobs will be theirs with their faked work permit!

dude789

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2014, 06:13:50 PM »

If I'm reading this right, everyone on team border crossers has to make it for them to win. Normally, I would think Luca's team would be better overall at this, but the guard team is competent enough to realize they only have to prevent one person from crossing to win. They identify the easiest one to stop (probably Lily or Athena)  and just prevent them from crossing by any means at their disposal.

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2014, 12:03:57 AM »
Hrm, need some more time to give this some thought.  But I will admit, most of the reasoning for the infiltration teams do seem to be arguing that the defenders can't stop them all, when the event clearly calls for the defenders to only have to stop one of the infiltrators in order to win.

Cmdr_King

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2014, 06:44:08 AM »
Yup.  The idea being that it prevents the invader team from winning on the basis of a single party member more or less.  (And also because the episode of South Park it's ripped from was played that way of course.)

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2014, 08:46:10 PM »
Short Form

The invaders need to all get across in order to win, which means that the best way for them all to get across is to pool their resources and work together in order to avoid letting the other team pick their weakest member and making sure that one person doesn't get across.  However, they hit a bad start when their three alpha personalities, Luca, Bowser, and Lily start to clash, hard.  And as skilled as Athena might be at psychology, even she can't make these three work together, which means that there's going to be three separate teams trying to make their way through, with Athena likely trying to help Bowser on the idea that Luca simply won't listen to her (he's notoriously disdainful of advisors/strategists), and Lily already has Whim to help her out.

Against this trio there will be a fiendish maze laid out by Professor Layton with help from Miriel.  Let's be honest here, the guy has mini-games in all of his games except the first one where he has to set up convoluted pathways for others to follow.  One of them is literally forcing a poor rodent to scurry along a path of his making through clever uses of carrots and sticks.  Against intellects the like of Lily, Bowser, and Luca.

Luca will actually be fine because sooner or later he's just going to snap and start breaking the maze.  However, this being easily anticipated, no two entrances will lead to the same section of maze, so it's unlikely he'll open a path for anyone else.  Meanwhile, Carmen Sandiago will use her thieving skills as a scout, picking out the team that's looking the most vulnerable, and then leading them into an ambush where Domon will get the drop on them and remove them from consideration.  Since Domon can, even without his Gundam, take out mook mechs and skyscrapers, either Lily or Bowser will prove easy prey for him without any backup.  So, as it stands, Luca gets through, but like as not, none of the rest do.  Which means a victory for team defenders.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2014, 10:02:33 PM »
EDIT: Team Bowser wins.  Reasons?

Discussing this in chat, it only dawned on me just how many resources Bowser and Luca combined have.  Sure, Carmen San Diego might be able to swipe some of them, except Athena is the exact kind of character who can be regarded as a direct counter to Carmen.  Carmen Swipes, Athena plays the game Carmen San Diego, inevitably leading to Carmen's arrest, so that strategy is risky.

I just feel like with as many minions as Luca and Bowser have combined, as well as things like Airships, it'll keep Domon BUSY for a while, enough to get over. If Domon is distracted, the rest of the team really can't hold off Luca solo.

If we factor in Paper Mario, Bowser has a burrowing castle, which is kind of an auto-win.  Sure, Carmen can steal the castle...but then Athena counters with Carmen's only weakness of investigations I noted above.

Seems like more things can go wrong for border patrol than the Jerbtakers.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 10:42:08 PM by Meeplelard »
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Reiska

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2014, 10:20:58 PM »
I agree with Gate's assessment, and vote for Team Domon anyway, because the rules say all 4 of Team Bowser have to cross - the rules as such favor the defenders.  If Domon stalls Luca, the defenders win regardless of anything else that happens.

EDIT: Laggy informs me that Carmen and/or her associates have in-canon stolen geographical features and map features which purely exist on paper, in particular the Mason-Dixon line.  Therefore, Carmen steals the border, the invaders cannot cross it until they find it.  Athena WILL find it eventually - investigating crimes is her specialty - but the theft leaves plenty of time for a duel between Domon and Luca to start, which is a failure state for the invaders.  From my recollection of Suikoden 2, Luca is fairly easily provoked, so in theory Layton and Miriel should be able to troll him into challenging Domon directly.

Might update this more as discussion continues, but definitely in favor of the defense team here.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 10:50:28 PM by Reiska »

Lance

• Groovy~
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • My Foxkei profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2014, 08:41:15 PM »

If Domon's Gundam is allowed, this match is a cakewalk for the defenders. Bowser's rinky-dink airship fleet won't be much of a match for Domon's super-advanced robotic death machine, and none of the other members of Bowser's team really have anything that can counter it.

Cmdr_King

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2014, 08:44:01 PM »

Last of the Meheecans- Domon Kasshu (Mobile Fighter G Gundam), Professor Layton (Eponymous), Carmen Sandiego (Eponymous) and Miriel (Fire Emblem: Awakening)- iiii VS Luca Blight (Suikoden II), Lilianne Valendorf (Mana Khemia 2: Fall of Alchemy), Bowser (Mario Series), and Athena Cykes (Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies)- iiiii