imageRegister

Author Topic: The Royal Canadian Rando Tourney Round 1-C  (Read 1155 times)

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
The Royal Canadian Rando Tourney Round 1-C
« on: June 29, 2014, 11:05:41 PM »
Results:
Event 5: Fashion Makeovering - Tie Break
Lord Helix (TPP) IIII vs. III Estella (Suikoden 3)

Event 6: Puppy Kicking
Chris Lightfellow (Suikoden 3) I vs. IIIII II Ryu (Street Fighter 2)

Event 7: Ship-to-Ship Combat
Rita Mordio (Tales of Vesperia) vs. IIIII Millenia (Grandia 2)

Event 8: Gladitorial Deathmatch
Aura Blackquill (AA:Dual Destinies) I vs. IIII Mordin Solus (Mass Effect 2)

Team Event 1: Base Defense - Tie Break
(Gaston (Beauty and the Beast), Darkwing Duck, Akuma (Street Fighter), Toph Bei Fong (Avatar:tLA)) IIIII vs. IIII (Flay Gunnar (Mana Khemia 1/2), Kaguya Nanbu (SRW:OGS:EF), Inspector Gadget, Grumpy Cat)

Round 1-C

Event 9: Sax and Violins
This event is an odd one.  You can either go for the literal version, at which point it's about whichever competitor is better at being an orchestra.  Or at least, in playing classy instruments.  Alternatively, just as the title is suggestive, our competitors might win at managing to engage in acts that are similarily suggestive without actually tipping all the way over to overt acts.  And of course, in the finest Random Tourney tradition, you can always just assume that the winner is the one who's best at doing both.

Our first competitor would be great if this competition was less suggestive, and more overt, being the leader of the pantheon that can literally be summed up as Sex and Violence.  Yes, it's Thunder God Zeus himself.  Of course, he's also known for finding some...  shall we say creative workarounds when brute force won't work.  So who knows, he may surprise us all.  Opposing him is the man with the beautiful and elegant style passed down in the Armstong Family for thousands of generations.  Yes, Alex Louis Armstrong, who is quite straightforward, but has the advantage of being skilled at nearly everything.  Surely, he'll have the right skill needed for this task.

Event 10: Eating Contest
Select your weapon.  Hot dogs.  Hamburgers.  Or the traditional choice, the pie. 

Yes, it is the venerable eating contest, where the goal is to keep on eating until one of the competitors can eat no more.  Whoever stuffs down the most grub, wins.

Relm Arrowny may be young, and small, but she's also feisty, and that has to count for something.  Besides, her competitor is also still fairly young, but a teenager.  And teenagers are notoriously hungry.  That said, Ferris Beuller is known more for his quick mouth than his stomach, so it's anyone's game.

Event 11: Drinking Contest
In the last event, it was all about stuffing down food.  In this event, it's about stuffing down alcohol.  Drinks will naturally, be chosen in alternating order by the two competitors, and both will need to down the drink of the round simultaneously.  First one to bow out, not drink, or simply loose their liquor will lose the competition.

Rosalina is a fairy tale princess off in her galactic observatory, but royalty is somewhat know for being able to drink, right?  Well, she'll need to take that page from real royalty as opposed to her fairy tale version because her opponent, while perhaps not a lush, is at the very least introduced in a pub.  Yes, it's the newest amnesiac to grace a job based system, Ringabel, looking to make a name for himself by drinking himself senseless.

Event 12: Artillery Duel
Finally, we're done with folks stuffing stuff down their gullet, and back to something they have to actually do.  Specifically, each side gets a fort, and a big ass gun and they need to try and wreck their opponents fort with their big ol gun.  Fortunately, both sides have unlimited ammo.  This is important because...  well...

Our first competitor is a staple of that old sitcom, I Love Lucy.  Lucy's great at getting into situations that need explaining, but operating artillery is probably well outside her skillset.  Which means it's a shame she's up against someone who's used to the battlefield.  At least, that'd be the case if her competitor was the least bit competant.  However, she's up against Brave Sir Robin.  And let's face it, his minstrels could probably do a better job of operating a big gun than he could.  But even with this, Brave Sir Robin is still probably the better shot, so long as he can keep from running away and letting Lucy smash his fort unopposed.

Pairs Event 3: Prisoner's Dialemma
Alright, everyone knows the Prisoner's Dialemma.  It's an exercise is risk management and trust where both competitors get the best result by trusting that their buddy won't sell them out, but an individual competitor can get the maximum gain by selling their buddy out and not getting sold out in return.  And of course, if they both betray the other, then they're both in a world of suck.  Naturally, the result both teams are looking for is Trust/Trust, but Betray/Trust is better than Betray/Betray, and any tie breaks will be won by whoever can get the most out of their situation.

And just to clarify.  In this one, the competitors are going in thinking it's about maximising gain, and not knowing it's an explicit Prisoner's Dilemma scenario, though a canny contestant should be able to recognise the setup.  And the situation, I don't have a handy hypothetical, so just make up your own where both sides are up against a third party, can benefit the most if they work together, but also have wondrous opportunities for making a max profit if they betray their buddy.

Now, our first team is a traditionally uneasy alliance of church and state.  Yes, we have the Pope from Rondo of Swords, Aegil, getting paired up with Princess Leia.  That said, they're also both heros with a canny sense of politics, and are generally given some credit for being able to read people, so they at least have that going for them.  As opposed to the other team which pairs Zoey from Left4Dead with Graendal, one of the freaking forsaken from the Wheel of Time.  Now, Zoey's used to working in a small team where trust is everything, but let's face it.  Zombie Apocalypses usually have "humanity is the real monster" as one of its themes, which means being overly trusting is a good way to end up dead fast.  And Graendal, she's an evil psychologist, so she should be pretty good at reading people.  Buuuuut...  nobody on Team Dark One is known for their trusting nature, and the Forsaken, outside of one alliance, take that up to eleven.

Pairs Event 4: Ballroom Dancing
Ah, the graceful art of the dance.  Two bodies moving in time with both each other and the music, each step as meticulously complicated and decorative as the music they're dancing to.  Yes, we're hitting the ballroom to see which of these pairs can dance the best. 

Interestingly enough, while ballroom dancing has pretty clear mens and ladies steps, we're sitting on a sausagefest this time.  Our first team has hardscrabble kajillionaire Scrooge McDuck getting paired up with the Orc Peon from Warcraft.  You can bet ballroom dancing wasn't anything either of these two grew up with, but it wouldn't be surprising if, somewhere along the line, Scrooge picked the skill up just so he could hobnob with his social class.  Meanwhile, they're up against a pair of true blue, bred in the bone, nobility.  Specifically, they've got Lord Soth, the cursed eternal lord from the Dragonlance books, and MacBeth from what we'll cautiously refer to as the Scottish Play.  Now, these two almost certainly got the fancy upbringing package, but they just have the one downside.  Did either of them learn to follow on the ballroom floor, and even if they do know how, will either of them agree to do so?

Quick Vote Form

Zeus (Mythology) vs. Alex Louis Armstrong (Full Metal Alchemist)

Relm Arrowny (FF6) vs. Ferris Beuller

Rosalina (SMG) vs. Ringabel (Bravely Default)

Lucille Ball (I Love Lucy) vs. Brave Sir Robin (MP&tHG)

Aegil (Rondo of Swords) / Princess Leia (Star Wars) vs. Graendael (Wheel of Time) / Zoey (Left4Dead)

Scrooge McDuck (Disney) / Orc Peon (Warcraft) vs. Lord Soth (Dragonlance) / MacBeth (The Scottish Play)

« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 11:21:11 PM by Excal »

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: The Royal Canadian Rando Tourney Round 1-C
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2014, 11:10:36 PM »
Quick Vote Form

Zeus (Mythology) vs. Alex Louis Armstrong (Full Metal Alchemist)- Is a literal god, don't see why he woudn't cruise at events like these.

Relm Arrowny (FF6) vs. Ferris Beuller- Teenaged boys can outeat little girls any day of the week.

Aegil (Rondo of Swords) / Princess Leia (Star Wars) vs. Graendael (Wheel of Time) / Zoey (Left4Dead)- Grendael is the WoT world's foremost pyschology expert and a master at mainpulating people. She should crush this event like a bug.

Scrooge McDuck (Disney) / Orc Peon (Warcraft) vs. Lord Soth (Dragonlance) / MacBeth (The Scottish Play)- Both Sot and MacBeth have formal training in this, as part of a nobleman's duty. Seems like a slaughter ot me.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2014, 11:16:12 PM »
Zeus (Mythology) vs. Alex Louis Armstrong (Full Metal Alchemist): Armstrong has many...talents...but this is definitely NOT one of them.  Zeus doesn't even need to resort to God Hax to wins this.

Relm Arrowny (FF6) vs. Ferris Beuller: The rule says "whoever stuffs the most grubs"; it doesn't say that it's limited to one of them.  Relm draws herself about 20 times and wins on shear technicality.

Rosalina (SMG) vs. Ringabel (Bravely Default): Not only is she a Goddess, she's from the Mario universe where they REGULARLY take stuff that I'm sure is MUCH STRONGER than liquor, and SM3W shuts down any arguments about her ever having that stuff.

Lucille Ball (I Love Lucy) vs. Brave Sir Robin (MP&tHG): Lucille will cry and whine about it, but at least she'll SHOW UP to the contest.  That's more than can be said for Sir Robin.

Aegil (Rondo of Swords) / Princess Leia (Star Wars) vs. Graendael (Wheel of Time) / Zoey (Left4Dead): Can't vote.

Scrooge McDuck (Disney) / Orc Peon (Warcraft) vs. Lord Soth (Dragonlance) / MacBeth (The Scottish Play): Orc's are anti-graceful, and I highly doubt Scrooge is any better.  MacBeth is married and a noble; I don't even have to know the other person to know that's a huge advantage over his competition.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2014, 11:20:45 PM »
Quick Vote Form

Probably.

Abstain.

And so they fired Sir Robin's minstrels.  And there was much rejoicing.

Aegil (Rondo of Swords) / Princess Leia (Star Wars) vs. Graendael (Wheel of Time) / Zoey (Left4Dead)
Abstain.

Scrooge McDuck (Disney) / Orc Peon (Warcraft) vs. Lord Soth (Dragonlance) / MacBeth (The Scottish Play)
uh yeah see Snowfire, MacBeth really isn't the court dancing sort of individual here, and the peon seems likely to be the better follower, while MacBeth probably ends up making Soth do death-knighty things to him.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 01:11:49 AM by Random Consonant »

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2014, 11:43:36 PM »
Both are hopeless at music, but Zeus can handle both the sex & violence side, while Armstrong strikes me as more violence.

Isn't a 9-year old, but has the irresponsibility of one.

Ayup.

Has extensive experience working on crazy assembly lines.

Uh.  With Excal's modification, it sounds like the teams are playing against their teammates, thinking it's about getting the most for them, but it's really about getting the most as a team.  (Hence Excal claiming "Trust/Trust" is better than "Betray/Trust", despite Betray/Trust, if you're the betrayer, being better for you in the real game.)  Which means that the team that spams cooperate /  cooperate wins.  super, sure, maybe Graendael slaughters, but she slaughters Zoey, which means her team loses.  Her being "good" at the event is perversely bad for her team.

Alternately, the event can be interpreted as "teams work as a team and play many neutral third parties repeatedly attempting to max their score."  And again, Aegil & Leia's high reputation as political leaders means they do pretty well.  At least in this setup, pulling off repeated Betray / Trusts is better than spamming Trust/Trust, so Graendael / Zoey backstabbing might get somewhere...  but then it comes down to how long the event goes on.  Graendael / Zoey will leap to an early lead off betraying people, and then word will get around, and then they might be able to mind control a few more fools into Betray/Trust situations, but eventually everyone will catch on and stay clear from them, leaving them with Betray / Betray zilchs.

Lest we forget, Macbeth was not a born King, he's a General / Thane.  In ancient Scotland.  The place known more for hacking off heads with broadswords, not dance events.  So really, this comes down to Scrooge McDuck vs. Lord Soth.  It's close, but Peons are known to be very compliant at following orders even to their deaths, while I can see a personality clash for dominance between the other two.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 11:54:00 PM by SnowFire »

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2014, 08:38:00 PM »

Relm Arrowny (FF6) vs. Ferris Beuller- I'll take the preteen girl over the lackadaisical teenager.

Aegil (Rondo of Swords) / Princess Leia (Star Wars) vs. Graendael (Wheel of Time) / Zoey (Left4Dead)- This one requires reaaallly knowing all four contestants I think.  So... No vote.

Scrooge McDuck (Disney) / Orc Peon (Warcraft) vs. Lord Soth (Dragonlance) / MacBeth (The Scottish Play)- Scrooge might be okay on a more lively dance, but ballroom?  Eh.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2014, 12:38:25 AM »
Zeus (Mythology) vs. Alex Louis Armstrong (Full Metal Alchemist): Well for one definition Zeus is -awesome- at this. For the other... I dunno, Greek gods are usually pretty good at Greek artsy things, which includes music, I'd think.

Relm Arrowny (FF6) vs. Ferris Beuller: Teenage boys are top-tier at this. Relm's not bad I would think but it's not enough. Not too inclined to buy the sketch arguments.

Rosalina (SMG) vs. Ringabel (Bravely Default): Have to think that Rosalina being both a divine being and having a height which ranges from about 7 feet tall to several stories will give her this.

Lucille Ball (I Love Lucy) vs. Brave Sir Robin (MP&tHG): Pass.

Aegil (Rondo of Swords) / Princess Leia (Star Wars) vs. Graendael (Wheel of Time) / Zoey (Left4Dead): I'm a bit sketchy on the rules for this but Graendal's ability to potentially Compel her partners gives her a big edge under most versions, that's enough for me here.

Scrooge McDuck (Disney) / Orc Peon (Warcraft) vs. Lord Soth (Dragonlance) / MacBeth (The Scottish Play): Yeah, medieval Scotland didn't have any ballroom dancing as far as I'm aware, so that line of argument is out. I think I agree with Snowfire, as such.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2014, 06:35:30 AM »

When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

DragonKnight Zero

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2014, 07:42:17 AM »
Isn't Armstrong someone's embodiment of wish-futfillment?  On the surface, both fail at subtlety.  Zeus took the form of soft light to impregnate Persues' mom so he has at least a little capacity for subtlety.

In a straight contest, Ferris is better.  When Relm is involved (and has access to her Magic list), a straight contest is rather unlikely.  Now if she persuades him to play with Interceptor... heh, heh
Reversal: Ferris sends word to Strago that Relm is going to pig out on candy.  Still anyone's decision based on views of third party interference but whatever.

Rosalina seems disinclined to get sloshed and would bow out if hard liquor is chosen.

Could talk Robin into seeking psychiatric help, leaving his fortress undefended.  It will take days for Lucy to land a hit on it though.

Kneejerk for the heroes.  Graendael will win the most loot but since Trust/Trust is the winning outcome...

Soth would enjoy this.  For him it's an entertaining diversion in his eternal existance.  He's capable of persuading MacBeth not to forfeit too, which is needed to prevent an instant loss.  However, Scrooge McDuck would be competent at least.  And an Orc Peon can be persuaded to do almost anything for 100 units of Warcraft gold.  Who knew?
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 06:51:53 AM by DragonKnight Zero »

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2014, 02:52:08 AM »
Quick Vote Form

Zeus (Mythology) vs. Alex Louis Armstrong (Full Metal Alchemist) - Dunno Armstrong, but I don't see Zeus losing this to anyone.

Relm Arrowny (FF6) vs. Ferris Beuller - Dunno Beuller.

Rosalina (SMG) vs. Ringabel (Bravely Default) - Ringabel is totally the kind of guy who can hold his liquor.

Lucille Ball (I Love Lucy) vs. Brave Sir Robin (MP&tHG) - The idea of minstrels getting fired out of the cannon is too amusing.

Aegil (Rondo of Swords) / Princess Leia (Star Wars) vs. Graendael (Wheel of Time) / Zoey (Left4Dead) - DUnno anyone here but Leia

Scrooge McDuck (Disney) / Orc Peon (Warcraft) vs. Lord Soth (Dragonlance) / MacBeth (The Scottish Play) - I've read most of the Scrooge McDuck comics, p.sure he dances in at least one of them. It's definitely something he'd be able to do. And apparently orc peons are willing to do anything for money? Works.
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2014, 09:52:23 PM »
Update is tomorrow.  Vote now or forever accept the decisions of those who are not you.